alancostello

Re: Irish 10/19: Winter is coming

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
We've already seen a brief preview of the uniform.

There's quite a range of options, at least in the earlier concepts.

In the first part of the summer they carried out wear trials and eventually had a five week fitting programme.

November was the month mentioned, not sure if that's still the case.

Spoke to a crew member at length about it a few weeks ago, women have the option of trousers finally as well as a single-piece dress option instead of skirt/blouse (I believe all female crew will be given each piece of uniform, and can decide themselves what to wear of a given day). Modern updates to the skirt/blouse/jacket including cleaner lines and modern finishes, the men's suit in a navy-blue is supposed to be quite nice, ladies are also getting a larger quilted-pattern tote bag.

Apparently there have been a number of revisions as EI keep saying that it's too hard to mass produce and individual fabric choices are too expensive. Another crew member said they were on a flight with the designer (Louise Kennedy) and she seems to be at her wits end over the constant revisions.

OA260

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Fliplot wrote:
By tge way what does "encouraging fi direct access" mean! I kniw what the words mean but what does the statement mean? Shane Ross language for what exactly?

I guess he means that they want to attract more carriers to fly directly into regional airports and they may make funding available subject to being legal to promote and incentives etc.. I dont think its a major announcement but just a comittment to keep the policy.

---

Aer Lingus boosts IAG

AER Lingus has increased its sales and passenger load to help parent IAG keep growing overall despite disruption at British Airways and Heathrow.
The number of passengers carried by Aer Lingus in September rose by 0.7pc from the same month of 2018 to nearly 1.1 million.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-l ... 70913.html

---

Concern over 250 Aer Lingus jobs after partnership announcement

There are fears for the future of up to 250 jobs at Aer Lingus after catering staff were told today that the airline plans to enter into a new partnership with a "dedicated catering provider" from next summer.

However, as yet it is unclear who the new catering partner will be, whether current Aer Lingus personnel will automatically transfer to that company, whether those staff would retain their existing terms and conditions, or whether they would face redundancy.

Following a meeting this morning, Aer Lingus issued a bulletin to staff outlining the plans to change its catering arrangements.

www.rte.ie/news/2019/1008/1081956-aer-lingus/

Hope it works out better then the dreadful Philippines call center which is a real downgrade in service.

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:19 pm

nu wrote:
Also why doesn’t Qatar. serve pre departure champagne?

They do, I've always had it in business class when flying with them.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 pm

alancostello wrote:
Apparently there have been a number of revisions as EI keep saying that it's too hard to mass produce and individual fabric choices are too expensive. Another crew member said they were on a flight with the designer (Louise Kennedy) and she seems to be at her wits end over the constant revisions.

If you produce it cheap, it will look crap and considering the importance of cabin crew, that would be some faux pas.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it's revealed. I'm sure it will be excellent!

OA260

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 am

New flights for Cork Airport

Swiss International Air Lines (SWISS) is to increase and expand its Cork-Zurich service for Summer 2020.

The airline will operate an Airbus A220-100/A220-300, offering four flights per week.

The flights will be scheduled for Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. The new flights will commence on March 29, and run until October 20.

Today’s announcement means a 7% increase on capacity versus Summer 2019, with an additional 2,022 seats on offer. The flight's summer season has also been expanded to 30 weeks from 27 weeks in 2019.

www.echolive.ie/corknews/New-flights-fo ... ccc4ec9-ds

Company Report: Belfast International Airport

Belfast International Airport was sold in July 2012 to a Spanish subsidiary, TBI Airport Holdings for £105.9m. In 2013 the company was sold again to an American parent company, ADC & HAS Airports Worldwide, based in Houston, for an undisclosed amount.

More recently, ownership went to Airports Worldwide UK Holdings with Dutch owners and, in 2018, it was acquired by a French company, Vinci SA.

In the last five years, the airport has only paid a dividend to its shareholders in 2017 when an award of £1.5m was made.

Operating profits and pre-tax profits improved significantly in 2017 and 2018 following less successful results in 2016 and pre-tax losses in 2014 and 2015.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/com ... 63526.html

wexfordflyer

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:33 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
alancostello wrote:

If you produce it cheap, it will look crap and considering the importance of cabin crew, that would be some faux pas.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it's revealed. I'm sure it will be excellent!

I really hope they do a good job on it! I'm not a fan at all of the current uniform, I think it's very dated and looks poor quality. Like or loathe the new livery and brand refresh, it's sleek and modern. I really hope they bring the cc into that fold and don't fall at such a critical customer facing image point! Definitely looking forward to seeing it. I'm probably going to be booking flights with EI in early Dec, would be great to see it live then.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

Eagleboy

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

I do not share your optimism.
Complaints about the design and cut of the samples have been given through official channels. No sign that these comments been taken onboard.

No issue of uniform items yet, so plan for an unveil this side of Christmas seems wildly optimistic.

shamrock350

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm

The third A321LR, EI-LRC, had its first flight today.

https://aibfamily.flights/A320/8965

The latest A333s, EI-EIM and EI-EIN, are also visible at the A330 area in Toulouse, both in primer with tails painted. The first is due late November.

IrishTexan

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 am

shamrock350 wrote:

The latest A333s, EI-EIM and EI-EIN, are also visible at the A330 area in Toulouse, both in primer with tails painted. The first is due late November.

If EI had a third A333 coming would it have been EI-EIO?
There does not seem to be an EI-EIO on the current Irish register.

ShamrockBoi330

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:08 am

IrishTexan wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

I thought i had seen it here before that they cant use it as its been used previously on a small single engine (Cessna?) craft. Can you re-use reg numbers or once used, confined to that craft?

OA260

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 am

Aer Lingus will be early adopter of green jet fuel

Aer Lingus owner IAG will explore the use of sustainable jet fuels at the Irish carrier as part of a major new initiative to make the airline group net neutral in carbon emissions by 2050, according to chief executive Willie Walsh.

Mr Walsh also welcomed the decision by the Irish Government to ringfence revenues raised from carbon taxes for use in climate action projects.

"The Taoiseach talked about hypothecating some of the carbon tax for environmental purposes, and we've argued that that's what governments should do," he said.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 79442.html

The home of Irish aviation

How the aerospace-industry cluster at Shannon keeps Ireland - and the world - in flying form

www.businesspost.ie/focus-on/home-irish-aviation-453831

ClassicLover

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 am

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:

I thought i had seen it here before that they cant use it as its been used previously on a small single engine (Cessna?) craft. Can you re-use reg numbers or once used, confined to that craft?

Registrations can be reused in many countries around the world, as long as the original aircraft has been de-registered. Australia does it, the UK does it. It is country specific though, so perhaps Ireland does not allow it. Anyone know?

EIBoston

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 am

shamrock350 wrote:

Are the 330's additions or replacements for current fleet? The older 332's are due to be replaced right?

Question on the new A321's. I see that they are now doing a DUB-LHR rotation early morning. How does it work for the business class seats onboard? Can they be booked or are they given to FF's etc?

OA260

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 am

EIBoston wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Are the 330's additions or replacements for current fleet? The older 332's are due to be replaced right?

Question on the new A321's. I see that they are now doing a DUB-LHR rotation early morning. How does it work for the business class seats onboard? Can they be booked or are they given to FF's etc?

You book an Aer Space fare that gets you seated in that section.

dstc47

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 am

Ireland does not generally re-use registrations, although EI-ABI has been reissued for the DH Dragon.

EI-EIO was a PA 34 and if I recall correctly was at one time used by a Mr Mc Donald, who was indeed a farmer.

BrianDromey

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am

ClassicLover wrote:
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
IrishTexan wrote:

Registrations can be reused in many countries around the world, as long as the original aircraft has been de-registered. Australia does it, the UK does it. It is country specific though, so perhaps Ireland does not allow it. Anyone know?

The UK does not allow registrations to be reused. Although when aircraft are leased short-term to other countries they generally get their same registration when they come back. Thomas Cook and Air Transat and TUI and Sunwing are the most recent examples. Braniff and BOAC used ro register and de-register Condorde for a sub-sonic flight, maybe JFK to DFW, or somewhere like that.
EI-CJX has an interesting history, it was delivered to Transero as EI-CJX, later registered as N160GE, G-FCLJ to Flying Colours/JMC/Ryan International/Thomas Cook/WestJet. When it was delivered to ASL it became EI-CJX again. I don't know if the IAA prefer to reenter an aircraft on the register under its original registration, or not?

abc9

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am

EI-EIO was a PA 34 and if I recall correctly was at one time used by a Mr Mc Donald, who was indeed a farmer.[/quote]

Funniest line I've seen on here ever.......

AmricanShamrok

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:

The UK does not allow registrations to be reused. Although when aircraft are leased short-term to other countries they generally get their same registration when they come back. Thomas Cook and Air Transat and TUI and Sunwing are the most recent examples. Braniff and BOAC used ro register and de-register Condorde for a sub-sonic flight, maybe JFK to DFW, or somewhere like that.
EI-CJX has an interesting history, it was delivered to Transero as EI-CJX, later registered as N160GE, G-FCLJ to Flying Colours/JMC/Ryan International/Thomas Cook/WestJet. When it was delivered to ASL it became EI-CJX again. I don't know if the IAA prefer to reenter an aircraft on the register under its original registration, or not?

EI-EWR also left EI for a time and when it returned some years later it retained its original reg (but not its saint's name).

ShamrockBoi330

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:49 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

EI-EWR also left EI for a time and when it returned some years later it retained its original reg (but not its saint's name).

so we're all saying the same thing, registration can be re-used as long as its on the same craft. EWR was the one I was thinking of when i wrote my original post.

BUT my original question was, is the reg confined to that craft for the history books, or can the reg be re-used on a new craft if the original has been scrapped, not just sold/leased and on a another country's register?

Could we envisage EI being bothered enough about a reg number to go through the hassle

EIBoston

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

OA260 wrote:
EIBoston wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

You book an Aer Space fare that gets you seated in that section.

Thank you. Forgot about all the different fare classes. Haven't been on EI s/h in so long.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/flight-retur ... d-11832001

Looks like a Cityjet/Aer Lingus RJ85 was the subject of a protest by a passenger at LCY this morning. He was arrested and removed. (See further down the link, after the report about the paralympian on the top of the E-jet (a right e-jet, you might say!)

As to the EI fleet plans, I understand that the oldest A332s will be leaving the fleet - LAX and EWR, though I don't know if these are being replaced by A333s or A321LRs.

ShamrockBoi330

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm

kaitak wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/flight-returns-to-london-city-airport-terminal-as-climate-change-protester-is-arrested-on-board-11832001

Looks like a Cityjet/Aer Lingus RJ85 was the subject of a protest by a passenger at LCY this morning. He was arrested and removed. (See further down the link, after the report about the paralympian on the top of the E-jet (a right e-jet, you might say!)

As to the EI fleet plans, I understand that the oldest A332s will be leaving the fleet - LAX and EWR, though I don't know if these are being replaced by A333s or A321LRs.

IAG should put him on a no fly list.

OA260

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
kaitak wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/flight-returns-to-london-city-airport-terminal-as-climate-change-protester-is-arrested-on-board-11832001

IAG should put him on a no fly list.

5 year min jail term and billed for the delay. Peaceful protest in designated areas is one thing basically hijacking an aircraft is another.

Fliplot

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 am

Are we starting to here noise from EI on it's transatlantic expansion? I would have thought by.now the.known aircraft delivery dates would have been factored in!

Fliplot

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 am

Are we starting to here noise from EI on it's transatlantic expansion? I would have thought by.now the.known aircraft delivery dates would have been factored in!

OA260

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:53 am

Airbus delivery delays 'slowing Aer Lingus expansion'

Delays in the delivery of a new Airbus aircraft is slowing expansion at Aer Lingus.

IAG - which owns the airline - has been forced to postpone the introduction of up to two new US routes until 2021.

Production issues are reportedly holding up the delivery of eight Airbus aircraft that Aer Lingus has ordered, according to the Irish Independent.

Aiden Donnelly from Davy Stockbrokers said the delay was frustrating for IAG's Chief Executive Willie Walsh.

"I think he's quite frustrated...He was in Toulouse last week talking o the Airbus managers, and they just don't seem to get the economic impact delayed deliveries are having on their customers."

www.breakingnews.ie/business/airbus-del ... 56457.html

EI321

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Fliplot wrote:

It's a bit dissapointing that nothing has been announced. Its beginning to look like they will just use the 2 new A333s this year to replace older A332s, as far as I know at least one was always going to be a direct replacement along with the A321neos replacing 757s.

There's some unencouraging data coming out regarding tourism numbers which is likely contributing to EI's stalled expansion plans. America and Germany are on the cusp of a recession and most of western Europe's economy is also doing badly, before we even consider brexit. Many hotels in Ireland are currently reporting bookings being down on the same time last year. It's worth noting that no other airline has announced new 2020 longhaul routes from DUB either.

EI and the Irish economy have enjoyed 6/7 years of strong growth, so a year of low growth is not untimely. Likewise, the decade long bull market in America has lasted longer than any other so a small downturn is not unexpected and likely overdue.

shamrock350

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:12 pm

The third A321LR for Aer Lingus, EI-LRC, has now had its customer acceptance flight and delivery is imminent.

Aer Lingus has also been putting their first two A321LR's to good use this week, EI-LRA has been doing some afternoon and evening rotations to LHR in addition to the planned morning service while 'LRB has been kept busy across the Atlantic and doing its own share of LHR runs.

It seems the lack of new routes next summer is down to Airbus delays as Willie Walsh recently stated. Apparently Aer Lingus only expect to have 5 A321LR in service by the start of next summer and with the 757s now committed elsewhere, that leaves Aer Lingus with the same narrowbody capacity they had for this summer. While there are two A333s on their way, one will be used as replacement for a retiring A332 and the other will be used to boost frequencies on the current network, talk of SFO going 10 weekly for example. The uncertainty surrounding Brexit and the overall global economy, it may be wise to pause new routes and focus on strengthening what they already have.

OA260

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:51 am

Controversial Boeing 737 MAX jets allowed land at Shannon

An airline has been allowed fly two Boeing 737-MAX-8 aircraft into Irish airspace and land at Shannon Airport on their way to Spain for storage.

The Boeing 737-MAX-8 and 9 series jets were grounded worldwide last March following two fatal crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia in October 2018 and March 2019 respectively.

A total of 346 people died in the crashes including Irish man Michael Ryan who was killed in the Ethiopian tragedy.

While the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) does not comment on individual cases, the IAA has confirmed that applications to ferry the controversial jet into and through Irish airspace are being accepted.

On 12th March 2019, the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) suspended Boeing Max aircraft entering Irish airspace and such Irish registered Boeing Max aircraft from flying wherever located.

In the meantime, Boeing has been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737-MAX jet including updates to the plane’s Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) which has been implicated in the two fatal crashes.

Today, two Icelandair Boeing 737-MAX-8 were ferried from Reykjavik via Shannon to Lleida in Spain where they are expected to remain in storage for the winter months.

The planes had to fly under strict conditions including at significantly lower altitudes and speed and, reportedly, with flaps extended. The jets flew at an altitude of 19,000ft when the would normally travel at heights considerably higher than that.

http://clareherald.com/2019/10/controve ... non-92888/

klm617

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:47 pm

OA260 wrote:
Airbus delivery delays 'slowing Aer Lingus expansion'

Delays in the delivery of a new Airbus aircraft is slowing expansion at Aer Lingus.

IAG - which owns the airline - has been forced to postpone the introduction of up to two new US routes until 2021.

Production issues are reportedly holding up the delivery of eight Airbus aircraft that Aer Lingus has ordered, according to the Irish Independent.

Aiden Donnelly from Davy Stockbrokers said the delay was frustrating for IAG's Chief Executive Willie Walsh.

"I think he's quite frustrated...He was in Toulouse last week talking o the Airbus managers, and they just don't seem to get the economic impact delayed deliveries are having on their customers."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/air ... 56457.html

Nothing but smoke and mirrors. What are those 2 cities and then we will get to 2020 and there will be a new excuse.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:51 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
The third A321LR for Aer Lingus, EI-LRC, has now had its customer acceptance flight and delivery is imminent.

Aer Lingus has also been putting their first two A321LR's to good use this week, EI-LRA has been doing some afternoon and evening rotations to LHR in addition to the planned morning service while 'LRB has been kept busy across the Atlantic and doing its own share of LHR runs.

It seems the lack of new routes next summer is down to Airbus delays as Willie Walsh recently stated. Apparently Aer Lingus only expect to have 5 A321LR in service by the start of next summer and with the 757s now committed elsewhere, that leaves Aer Lingus with the same narrowbody capacity they had for this summer. While there are two A333s on their way, one will be used as replacement for a retiring A332 and the other will be used to boost frequencies on the current network, talk of SFO going 10 weekly for example. The uncertainty surrounding Brexit and the overall global economy, it may be wise to pause new routes and focus on strengthening what they already have.

Looks like their narrowbody expansion plans to North America have pretty much been scrapped. With FI shrinking and WOW Air out of the picture there is really no pressure on them to expand. If they were serious about the expansion they could juggle their fleet around and still add one or two new narrowbody cities but instead they are using the new airbuses on routes they already operate. They could have held onto the 757's for another year after all these airbus delays have been known about for a while.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

alancostello

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:06 pm

klm617 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Looks like their narrowbody expansion plans to North America have pretty much been scrapped. With FI shrinking and WOW Air out of the picture there is really no pressure on them to expand. If they were serious about the expansion they could juggle their fleet around and still add one or two new narrowbody cities but instead they are using the new airbuses on routes they already operate. They could have held onto the 757's for another year after all these airbus delays have been known about for a while.

Except they couldn’t hang on to them even if they wanted to, they’re already committed by ASL to cargo conversion and have customers waiting and depending on their delivery. These plans were made years ago before the Airbus delays.

klm617

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 pm

alancostello wrote:
klm617 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Except they couldn’t hang on to them even if they wanted to, they’re already committed by ASL to cargo conversion and have customers waiting and depending on their delivery. These plans were made years ago before the Airbus delays.

That didn't stop Airbus from not meeting the Aer Lingus's delivery schedule on the A321 who was waiting on that aircraft. All I'm saying is if Aer Lingus really wanted to the could still open these 2 new routes but the fact is they are in no hurry to open any new North American stations and I highly doubt we will see any new North American destinations anytime soon. The A321 experiment is a lot to do about nothing really. I think they realized no one is going to give them any money to start these narrow body flights so they just shelfed those plans.

EI321

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm

While I don't believe EI's claims that the lack of new routes next year is only due to the delivery delays, the plan to use some A321neo's on some early morning rotations to LHR and a few other business dense routes is not new, they announced it last year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3730604

BrianDromey

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm

The 757s aren’t EI’s to keep or not. If ASL already has a plan for conversion to cargo there is probably very little anyone can do - slots in the factory will have been booked and not easy to reshuffle, I guess. There is also a narrow body shortage at the moment, with the MAX grounding, so alternatives are hard to come by.

If EI did want to launch new routes the A332 could possibly be kept. Again, if the frames are planned for conversion to Cargo extending the lease will be difficult.

EI321

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Is it also possible that lack of pilot numbers in a factor? They were struggling with this recently.

S0Y

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:21 am

If I recall correctly TK sent the A330 to DUB this past Summer. Was this just an occasional appearance or something more regular ?
Also, was this on the morning arrival (TK1975) or the later one?

TIA

OA260

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 am

S0Y wrote:
If I recall correctly TK sent the A330 to DUB this past Summer. Was this just an occasional appearance or something more regular ?
Also, was this on the morning arrival (TK1975) or the later one?

TIA

It was only a few times on a random basis and IIRC the 1975.

—-

'Do hard work yourself,' Walsh tells Shannon Airport

Shannon Airport has a viable future as a seasonal transatlantic gateway and should stop "demanding that everyone else does the hard work for them", Willie Walsh says.

"They need to get on and manage it," the IAG CEO said. "They need to do it themselves."

Mr Walsh - whose group owns Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Level - is optimistic that transatlantic services at the west of Ireland airport can grow.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 90557.html

Shannon Airport in the midst of turbulence

It is the country's third largest airport and up until recently was on an upward trajectory.

However, Shannon Airport is now in the midst of turbulence.

Last year 1.7 million passengers used the airport. This year, it is likely to be significantly lower.

www.rte.ie/amp/1083236/

—-

eidvm

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:15 am

EI321 wrote:
Is it also possible that lack of pilot numbers in a factor? They were struggling with this recently.

From what I heard from a friend of mine working there this is a big factor/the main factor in the delay, Airbus originally came to Aer Lingus to inform them of a short 4-6 week delay which Aer Lingus/IAG then used as an excuse to throw the toys out of the pram and delay the aircraft until the end of next year without penalty as they’ve realised they just can’t meet the amount needed for new copilots joining the airline or for current copilots to be promoted to captain pilots internally.

BrianDromey

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:16 am

OA260 wrote:

It is the country's third largest airport and up until recently was on an upward trajectory.

Last year 1.7 million passengers used the airport. This year, it is likely to be significantly lower.

http://www.rte.ie/amp/1083236/

—-

SNN has a similar problem to PIK. Fantastic infrastructure from a different era, but too far from major populations. SNN undoubtedly has a market, but it has struggled to attract new airlines and routes when subsidies run out. This is worrying in a time of relatively strong economic performance, which we may be coming towards the end of. Cork has also struggled in retaining airlines. Air France appear to have discontinued the CDG route - why both EI and AF timed the flights for the middle of the day is baffling. LX on the other hand appear to be growing the ZRH route yearly. I'd love to see an A321LR based at Cork in the future, but I think a nomination of weakened economic growth in the US will conspire with late deliveries of the LR's. The fantastic thing about the A321LR is that they could be reconfigured for the short-haul network when the XLR's begin to arrive from 2023, if the market demands it.

eidvm

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:20 am

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

—-

SNN has a similar problem to PIK. Fantastic infrastructure from a different era, but too far from major populations. SNN undoubtedly has a market, but it has struggled to attract new airlines and routes when subsidies run out. This is worrying in a time of relatively strong economic performance, which we may be coming towards the end of. Cork has also struggled in retaining airlines. Air France appear to have discontinued the CDG route - why both EI and AF timed the flights for the middle of the day is baffling. LX on the other hand appear to be growing the ZRH route yearly. I'd love to see an A321LR based at Cork in the future, but I think a nomination of weakened economic growth in the US will conspire with late deliveries of the LR's. The fantastic thing about the A321LR is that they could be reconfigured for the short-haul network when the XLR's begin to arrive from 2023, if the market demands it.

Only problem with basing an A321LR in Cork is if the current runway is too short in Dublin to use for some of the slightly longer routes such as Washington then the runway in Cork is definitely too short, Cork’s runway is 2,100m vs Dublin’s 2,600m, almost 20% shorter. It really needs an extension if it’s to become a proper airport for the second biggest city in the state and an alternative to Dublin.

Galwayman

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:17 am

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

—-

Knock is more isolated than Shannon , Keflavik has access to less population than Shannon... but I don’t hear them complaining . Shannon’s problems are its costs , it’s public sector inertia, political interference , unimaginative management ....

aerdingus

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Flew EI to TXL last Thurs. Was all set for Irish brekkie. But nope. Was cursed by sitting in row 29. No hot food left I thought that EI was the same as FR, and started one trolley from the front and one from the back to meet in the middle. To be fair the flight was full. Just annoying.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

OA260

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm

aerdingus wrote:
Flew EI to TXL last Thurs. Was all set for Irish brekkie. But nope. Was cursed by sitting in row 29. No hot food left I thought that EI was the same as FR, and started one trolley from the front and one from the back to meet in the middle. To be fair the flight was full. Just annoying.

I have seen them run out by row 5 they never load enough to meet demand especially on the morning flights . Even Aer Space are not always getting them. They really need to bring back pre order.

neutral

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:56 pm

QUOTE : I have seen them run out by row 5 they never load enough to meet demand especially on the morning flights . Even Aer Space are not always getting them. They really need to bring back pre order.

I can only agree with that flew to London Heathrow on Friday morning back Saturday evening sitting in row 12 both flights and the choice of food was disappointing to say the least so was the general cabin service both ways. Lets hope they improve!!!!

aerdingus

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 pm

OA260 wrote:
aerdingus wrote:

I have seen them run out by row 5 they never load enough to meet demand especially on the morning flights . Even Aer Space are not always getting them. They really need to bring back pre order.

Not good enough! I got a very watery reply on Twitter about it. What are they up to like?
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

aerdingus

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 pm

neutral wrote:
QUOTE : I have seen them run out by row 5 they never load enough to meet demand especially on the morning flights . Even Aer Space are not always getting them. They really need to bring back pre order.

I can only agree with that flew to London Heathrow on Friday morning back Saturday evening sitting in row 12 both flights and the choice of food was disappointing to say the least so was the general cabin service both ways. Lets hope they improve!!!!

Yeah people have been saying this for a while. I'm surprised it's still happening!

shamrock350

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 pm

aerdingus wrote:
OA260 wrote:
aerdingus wrote:

Not good enough! I got a very watery reply on Twitter about it. What are they up to like?

It’s nothing new I’m afraid, this is what the product is when it comes to short haul catering and has been that way for at least 5 years. Wastage is still a problem on short haul, on all my recent flights I’ve either been offered seconds of my first choice because “we’ve loads left over” or an alternative because “nobody fancied them today” according to the crew.

A pre order option would help them load the appropriate quantities but then they either run out of space on board or miss out on the spontaneous sales which make up the bulk of their transactions.

A great example of pre orders is Jet2 who do a huge range but none of it is sold on board, it must be pre ordered. Their standard on board menu is the usual sandwiches, wraps and a few hot meals. With that said, Jet2 is primarily a holiday airline, people going on holiday are far more likely to splash out on pre orders than your average Aer Lingus passenger.

A better comparison to Aer Lingus would be airBaltic who do great pre order meals, it’s long haul quality and very good value but again, none of it is available to buy on board so sales are limited to pre orders and the standard menu on board is pretty basic.

The breakfasts always seem to be done up front so it’s always worth trying to get a seat near there, I’ve yet to miss out on them when sitting in the first five or so rows.

Eirules

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:37 am

shamrock350 wrote:
aerdingus wrote:
OA260 wrote:

It’s nothing new I’m afraid, this is what the product is when it comes to short haul catering and has been that way for at least 5 years. Wastage is still a problem on short haul, on all my recent flights I’ve either been offered seconds of my first choice because “we’ve loads left over” or an alternative because “nobody fancied them today” according to the crew.

A pre order option would help them load the appropriate quantities but then they either run out of space on board or miss out on the spontaneous sales which make up the bulk of their transactions.

A great example of pre orders is Jet2 who do a huge range but none of it is sold on board, it must be pre ordered. Their standard on board menu is the usual sandwiches, wraps and a few hot meals. With that said, Jet2 is primarily a holiday airline, people going on holiday are far more likely to splash out on pre orders than your average Aer Lingus passenger.

A better comparison to Aer Lingus would be airBaltic who do great pre order meals, it’s long haul quality and very good value but again, none of it is available to buy on board so sales are limited to pre orders and the standard menu on board is pretty basic.

The breakfasts always seem to be done up front so it’s always worth trying to get a seat near there, I’ve yet to miss out on them when sitting in the first five or so rows.

What time would be the cut off for loading meals on ex DUB flights? If check in closed an hour before, is it possible to pre order up to that point?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:21 am

shamrock350 wrote:

Something needs to be done. I have been saying that EI needs a Jet2 model for years obviously adapted to the EI model which a lot is actually holiday travel . ACE AGP ATH BOJ CFU DBV FAO FUE LPA TFS just to mention a few. The pre order should be a priority on longer routes and I am sure it would not cause too much of an issue to re introduce hot breakfast on shorter routes. Its not as if they need an exhaustive menu. Jet 2 are rated 3* and Aer Lingus 4* but on catering options for shorthaul the stars should be swapped. Not that these ratings mean that much these days.

---

Flight attendant allegedly attacked by Dolores O’Riordan on Aer Lingus flight is suing deceased Cranberries star’s estate, High Court hears

A FLIGHT attendant allegedly attacked by late Cranberries star Dolores O’Riordan is suing the deceased singer’s estate, the High Court heard today.

Carmel Coyne was a cabin crew member on a flight from New York to Shannon on November 10, 2014 when the alleged incident occurred.

www.thesun.ie/news/4658689/flight-atten ... ng-estate/

---

Cork to Edinburgh flight is struck by lightning

A flight from Cork to Edinburgh had to be diverted to Dublin twice this morning.

The Aer Lingus flight, operated by Stobart Air, departed Cork at 6.40am today bound for the Scottish capital.

However, it was diverted to Dublin Airport due to a technical difficulty not long after taking off, and landed at 8.25am.

The issue was resolved and the flight took off again just over an hour later at 9.35am.

However, the plane was subsequently struck by lightning and had to return to Dublin Airport for a second time, where it landed at 10.25am.

www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-to-Edinbu ... 022c8aa-ds

---

TRIP REPORT: An Irish Aviation Enthusiasts day out – Behind the Scenes at Dublin Airport

An Irish Aviation Enthusiasts day out

Behind the Scenes at Dublin Airport.

https://economyclassandbeyond.boardinga ... n-airport/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos