Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dominion301
Topic Author

Air Transat Announce YUL-CPH

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:56 pm

TS announce seasonal YUL-CPH starting in 2020.

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress. ... openhagen/

2x weekly on the 321LR.

Stretching the legs of the 321LR.

SpaceshipDC10

Re: Air Transat Announce YUL-CPH

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:21 pm

A nice addition for the peak summer season.

by738

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:32 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say this won't last. A one season wonder. Based purely on nothing! Interesting to see if A321LR does offer 'weirder' routes you might not expect

SASViking

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm

by738 wrote:
I'll go out on a limb and say this won't last. A one season wonder. Based purely on nothing! Interesting to see if A321LR does offer 'weirder' routes you might not expect

Errr. Based on nothing? Look at how well AC do on YYZ-CPH in the summer. Next summer it'll be a daily 450-seater 77W. Sure, they have connections too, but there's a lot of Canadians visiting Copenhagen (and Denmark in general) including a lot going in cruises from Copenhagen. There's also a rise in Danes visiting Canada.
It has also been rumoured for a while, that SAS would open CPH/ARN-YUL.
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

yulexpansion

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 pm

SASViking wrote:
by738 wrote:

Errr. Based on nothing? Look at how well AC do on YYZ-CPH in the summer. Next summer it'll be a daily 450-seater 77W. Sure, they have connections too, but there's a lot of Canadians visiting Copenhagen (and Denmark in general) including a lot going in cruises from Copenhagen. There's also a rise in Danes visiting Canada.

No carrier offers ARN-YYZ currently, it would go above YUL most certainly

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:19 am

SASViking wrote:
by738 wrote:

AC's success from YYZ - into another Star hub - doesn't necessarily translate into success by Air Transat from YUL.

SASViking

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:18 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
SASViking wrote:
by738 wrote:

AC's success from YYZ - into another Star hub - doesn't necessarily translate into success by Air Transat from YUL.

I know. But the whole point was the tourism, which is the market Air Transat is after. AC also had one YUL-CPH flight this summer for a cruise, and for what I know, the 400-seater 77W was pretty much full. Once again I know that you can't base everything on one flight, but the AC one-off from YUL and now TS aswell, albeit seasonal and low frequency, is just showing that the market is growing rapidly.
I'm pretty sure TS have done their homework, they aren't the type of airline to just open random routes with a small chance of success
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

Dash9

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:26 am

look, they are only sending two flights per week on a A321 with 199 seats. They don't that much O&D demand to break even if not make a profit

AA737-823

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:31 am

Too bad it isn't on their totally retro-cool A310s. THAT would be something!
Just flew in one last month. What a neat experience. Had no trouble cruising at FL380 for most of the hop across the pond.

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:43 am

SASViking wrote:
by738 wrote:

I agree there must be quite some demand, it certainly ain't based on nothing. Copenhagen is a beautiful city that attracts a good number of tourists, also from Canada. Plus of course there are Danes visiting Canada.

The catchment area of Copenhagen isn't restricted to Denmark alone, it includes southern Sweden as well. A lot of Swedes cross the border into Denmark to fly from Copenhagen.

yulexpansion wrote:

I doubt that. With the current high aviation taxes in Sweden and lots of Swedes very conscious of environment issues (Greta Thunberg) the demand for air travel in Sweden is in fast decline. Lots of airlines are pulling out of Sweden, shifting capacity to other countries. Mostly Denmark, which is still close to Sweden and a whole lot more friendly to aviation.

cedarjet

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:18 am

Copenhagen has been a transatlantic gateway of note since the 1950s. Air Canada have done very well there in recent years. A link to Montreal will be successful. Well done TS.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

yulexpansion

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
SASViking wrote:
by738 wrote:

I agree there must be quite some demand, it certainly ain't based on nothing. Copenhagen is a beautiful city that attracts a good number of tourists, also from Canada. Plus of course there are Danes visiting Canada.

The catchment area of Copenhagen isn't restricted to Denmark alone, it includes southern Sweden as well. A lot of Swedes cross the border into Denmark to fly from Copenhagen.

yulexpansion wrote:

I doubt that. With the current high aviation taxes in Sweden and lots of Swedes very conscious of environment issues (Greta Thunberg) the demand for air travel in Sweden is in fast decline. Lots of airlines are pulling out of Sweden, shifting capacity to other countries. Mostly Denmark, which is still close to Sweden and a whole lot more friendly to aviation.

If by "fast decline", you mean 1-2% overall, that is just skimming. The overall increase on a longhaul ticket is around 3-4%, which most travellers will pay as they do in Austria, Germany and the UK where similar taxes exist.

YYZLGA

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Two flights to a week to a major cruise hub strongly suggests they're carrying cruise package tours.

It still surprises me TS doesn't fly to Germany, especially to cities AC doesn't serve. I guess it's a bit of a stretch for the 321LR from YYZ.

alexdelzotto1

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
Two flights to a week to a major cruise hub strongly suggests they're carrying cruise package tours.

It still surprises me TS doesn't fly to Germany, especially to cities AC doesn't serve. I guess it's a bit of a stretch for the 321LR from YYZ.

A few years ago TS flew from YYZ to MUC, FRA, DUS, HAM & TXL.

YYZLGA

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:36 pm

alexdelzotto1 wrote:
YYZLGA wrote:

A few years ago TS flew from YYZ to MUC, FRA, DUS, HAM & TXL.

Yes. I wonder why they abandoned it all. One theory for which I don't have more than anecdotal evidence is that they struggle with the German point of sale, which makes up a significant portion of the leisure market. It's partly because Germans aren't likely familiar with the Air Transat brand, but also because I know Germans who don't speak English and are very uncomfortable with flying a non-German airline for that reason. Obviously that's not an issue for TS in France or the UK. I also think it's less of a problem in Scandinavia where English fluency is more universal, and it's not as much of an issue in southern Europe where the leisure/VFR traffic is more heavily Canadian point-of-sale.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Pretty interesting route. CPH had very affordable fares from the US last summer, but not so sure about from Canada

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos