Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Malaysia Airlines Announces Codeshare Agreement With British Airways (Finally...)

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 am

It took them long enough! Six years in oneworld, only now is MH & BA implementing a codeshare agreement.

I wonder why the delay, given that MH had been quick to codeshare with the likes of AA & AY,

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/ ... V06eUWQBH4
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

by738

Re: Malaysia Airlines Announces Codeshare Agreement With British Airways (Finally...)

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:04 am

Maybe BA hesitant.... MH often in the 'Basket case' category

Pellegrine

Re: Malaysia Airlines Announces Codeshare Agreement With British Airways (Finally...)

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:27 am

KUL-LHR double daily on A359s, too bad I remember them being triple daily on B744s. Oh how times change.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Cunard

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:51 am

Pellegrine wrote:
KUL-LHR double daily on A359s, too bad I remember them being triple daily on B744s. Oh how times change.

''how times change''.

With regards to triple daily B744's.

Malaysian Airlines have flown KUL to LHR upto twice daily for several years with extra seasonal flights added including a Kuala Lumpur-Langkawi-London Heathrow route during the nineties. Malaysian Airlines used the B742/B744/B777 and prior to that it was a daily 11.00 departure ex LHR with the DC10-30 and long before that on the B707.

British Airways previously operated several flights on a daily basis through Kuala Lumpur with the B744.

The majority of those triple daily B744's were flying onto destinations in Australia and New Zealand as well as Brunei and Indonesia such as Adelaide, Auckland, Bander Seri Begawan, Brisbane, Christchurch, Jakarta Melbourne and Perth all of which are no longer served by British Airways.

With British Airways discontinuing the above destinations and concentrating their Australian destinations to only one as in Sydney 'which is routed via Singapore' there was no need to serve Kuala Lumpur with three daily B744's.

British Airways only resumed service to Kuala Lumpur a few years ago after a hiatus of over ten years. Malaysian Airlines fly KUL to LHR twice daily with one of those flights previously on a A380. The twice daily flights by Malaysian between KUL and LHR are with the A350 and British Airways fly the route daily with a B789.

Your totally overlooking the ME3, that's the real reason behind your comment regarding ''how times change''!

Times changed decades ago for LHR to KUL and Malaysian Airlines in particular has had it's fair share of problems over the last few years, much of which was beyond the control of the airline itself, but it's not a recent thing. Taking everything into account it's unbelievable that Malaysian Airlines can still sustain a double daily KUL to LHR flight.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

onwFan

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:31 am

I remember reading somewhere that the reason why a codeshare never materialized was because BA was not okay with MH dumping capacity into LHR with two daily A380s (until a while ago). Perhaps that is what changed. Anyway, all the time, MH had been dilly-dallying with KL and EK to Europe.

juliuswong

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:12 am

Pellegrine wrote:

The rise of ME3 and TK have changed much of Kangaroo routes dynamic over the past 20 years. Their third slot KUL-LGK-LHR was bleeding heavily due to high operation cost. The slot has since been sold to Air India.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

NTLDaz

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 am

juliuswong wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

The rise of ME3 and TK have changed much of Kangaroo routes dynamic over the past 20 years. Their third slot KUL-LGK-LHR was bleeding heavily due to high operation cost. The slot has since been sold to Air India.

ME3 yes but also C3. Don't think TK have had any real impact on AU - UK.

BealineV953

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Cunard wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

British Airways previously operated several flights on a daily basis through Kuala Lumpur with the B744.
The majority of those triple daily B744's were flying onto destinations in Australia and New Zealand as well as Brunei and Indonesia such as Adelaide, Auckland, Bander Seri Begawan, Brisbane, Christchurch, Jakarta Melbourne and Perth all of which are no longer served by British Airways.
With British Airways discontinuing the above destinations and concentrating their Australian destinations to only one, Sydney, 'which is routed via Singapore' there was no need to serve Kuala Lumpur with three daily B744's.

Taking everything into account it's unbelievable that Malaysian Airlines can still sustain a double daily KUL to LHR flight.

Where you say 'triple daily' and 'three daily' BA 747-400s, do you mean to say THREE flights EACH day, that is, 21 flights a week?
Are you sure?
That's not how I remember it.
I've just looked at Routes Online which matches my memory, for example:
S85 2 p/w L10 LHR-AUH-KUL-MNL
S94 3 p/w 744 LHR-KUL-JKT
S97 5 p/w 744 LHR-KUL-JKT
In what years do you think BA had 3 daily 747-400 routing to and / or through KUL?
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

Airbusvoyager

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:17 pm

I think this is a good start for a cooperation between the two oneworld members. Hopefully it expands further into their other routes on both sides.

BA used to fly into KUL till 2001 using a B772 and it used to be one of their furthest routes at that time. I believe before that, they flew the B747; i think it continued on to PER at some point too, where the BA9 incident took place. Its great that they are back at KUL daily using a B789.

For MH, they used to fly twice daily using a jumbo between KUL and LHR and a third flight four times a week. The return flights from KUL operate twice daily and the third flight operated four weekly to KUL, where twice weekly were through PEN and twice weekly through LGK. Those days are over and they eventually continued with twice daily between the two cities with the jumbos and then using the whale-jets. I alos think that they are doing ok on the route using the A359.

Some good times for KUL, LHR, BA and MH.

NZ321

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:32 pm

The issue here is the degree to which the collaboration will utilize capacity. Currently there are scant seats to be had on flights to many European destinations and overall KUL is underserved. with only to direct routes, maybe three counting Condor. This is not as I understand it a joint venture partnership. Would be good to see a boost in the overall offering but I somehow doubt that we will see that in the near future.
Plane mad!

eta unknown

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 pm

BA, KL, TK, MH, fly KUL-Europe along with multiple connection options with EK, EY, QR, WY and even SV. KUL yields are low. Is it underserved compared to SIN/BKK- yes. But as a profitable destination it isn't underserved.

RainerBoeing777

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:52 pm

eta unknown wrote:
BA, KL, TK, MH, fly KUL-Europe along with multiple connection options with EK, EY, QR, WY and even SV. KUL yields are low. Is it underserved compared to SIN/BKK- yes. But as a profitable destination it isn't underserved.

I don't understand something Malaysia is a prosperous country, why can't Europe work as before? Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt became very profitable destinations for MH, even CDG flew with A380 and AMS was its route par excellence, also Australia was a very strong market for Malaysia which was neglected, perhaps because of the events of the MH370 & MH17 and strong competition with SQ, bad management is also included to make codes shared with EK is the worst thing that an airline can do and that MH did that affection that will dredge its entire network of Europe
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA

BealineV953

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:09 am

BealineV953 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

With British Airways discontinuing the above destinations and concentrating their Australian destinations to only one, Sydney, 'which is routed via Singapore' there was no need to serve Kuala Lumpur with three daily B744's.

Taking everything into account it's unbelievable that Malaysian Airlines can still sustain a double daily KUL to LHR flight.

Where you say 'triple daily' and 'three daily' BA 747-400s, do you mean to say THREE flights EACH day, that is, 21 flights a week?
Are you sure?
In what years do you think BA had 3 daily 747-400 routing to and / or through KUL?

Correction!
In 1985, as well as the L10 LHR-AUH-KUL-MNL services there were:
1 p/w 747 LHR-BAH-BKK-KUL
1 p/w 747 LHR-BAH-BOM-KUL
...giving a total of 4 weekly BA services.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”

J343

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:23 am

Great news for both! Makes me wonder though, MNL is the only SE.Asian destination where BA dont codeshare with any of its oneworld alliance partners such as QR, JL, CX and MH

NZ321

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 am

eta unknown wrote:
BA, KL, TK, MH, fly KUL-Europe along with multiple connection options with EK, EY, QR, WY and even SV. KUL yields are low. Is it under-served compared to SIN/BKK- yes. But as a profitable destination it isn't under-served.

KUL profitably provided routes to several other European destinations in the past where MH and other airlines (e.g. AF, LH) flew. The demand has not disappeared (its not like nobody flies to Europe any more). Why are these cities not offered now? Because since the MH incidents other carriers have moved in and passengers now travel via SIN or BKK and other connection points (DXB as mentioned above) as I do regularly. But a greater population of about 8 million in the Klang Valley should be able to support more nonstop service than what is provided at the moment IMHO. This is a matter for discussion. If, if :) MH reorganises itself well we could see some expansion but my question is where is LH? Where is AF? Where is AY or IB? The answer is that EK, QR, EY, SQ, TG are taking these passengers at present. Many people travelling from KL connect en route to Europe yet it is entirely possible for them to fly direct were there a direct service, as was offered in the past. Heavens, the population has grown significantly in the past 10-20 years. It's a curious situation but I don't see any likelihood of change on the horizon, at least not in the immediate future.
Plane mad!

flyjay123

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:07 pm

I thought BA pulled out of KUL around 1997 after MH & VS codeshared on the route. I'm sure VS were flying a couple of 747400 rotations a week to bring the sevice to double daily between them.

seansasLCY

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:15 pm

flyjay123 wrote:
I thought BA pulled out of KUL around 1997 after MH & VS codeshared on the route. I'm sure VS were flying a couple of 747400 rotations a week to bring the sevice to double daily between them.

I don’t believe VS have ever flown to KUL.

flyjay123

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:

I don’t believe VS have ever flown to KUL.

Think they leased a 747400 from MH for a short period in the mid 90's to operate as they didn't have enough 747400's on line at the time. 1995 comes to mind - as my flat mate was crew for VS and got sick down route in KUL. Sure someone can update us with more detail of VS service.

flee

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:22 pm

NZ321 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
BA, KL, TK, MH, fly KUL-Europe along with multiple connection options with EK, EY, QR, WY and even SV. KUL yields are low. Is it under-served compared to SIN/BKK- yes. But as a profitable destination it isn't under-served.

KUL profitably provided routes to several other European destinations in the past where MH and other airlines (e.g. AF, LH) flew. The demand has not disappeared (its not like nobody flies to Europe any more). Why are these cities not offered now? Because since the MH incidents other carriers have moved in and passengers now travel via SIN or BKK and other connection points (DXB as mentioned above) as I do regularly. But a greater population of about 8 million in the Klang Valley should be able to support more nonstop service than what is provided at the moment IMHO. This is a matter for discussion. If, if :) MH reorganises itself well we could see some expansion but my question is where is LH? Where is AF? Where is AY or IB? The answer is that EK, QR, EY, SQ, TG are taking these passengers at present. Many people travelling from KL connect en route to Europe yet it is entirely possible for them to fly direct were there a direct service, as was offered in the past. Heavens, the population has grown significantly in the past 10-20 years. It's a curious situation but I don't see any likelihood of change on the horizon, at least not in the immediate future.

EK flies at least 3X A380s to KUL on most days and this is where a lot of Europe bound pax are travelling on. QR is also doing well - these two airlines are perceived to be "quality" airlines that are good alternatives to MH.

Condor also operates seasonal KUL-FRA flights but they are under review for summer 2020 - apparently, yields are poor.

MH does not have the equipment to operate direct flights to Europe. This code share agreement may be testing the waters for demand on European routes. However, transferring in LHR is a bad thing as the airport is way too complicated and there is a certain amount of backtracking. I doubt that it is as good an option as the ME transits.

eta unknown

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 pm

flyjay123 wrote:
Think they leased a 747400 from MH for a short period in the mid 90's to operate as they didn't have enough 747400's on line at the time. 1995 comes to mind - as my flat mate was crew for VS and got sick down route in KUL. Sure someone can update us with more detail of VS service.

VS never flew their own metal to KUL- it was a block space agreement on MH LHR-KUL and KUL-SYD/MEL flights (4 business class seats and can't remember how many economy). Usually VS undercut MH pricing which raised a few eyebrows, but then Continental used to undercut VS on their LAX-LHR operated flights so there is kharma.

ZK-NBT

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:23 pm

flyjay123 wrote:

They flew 3 weekly KUL-SYD until 2000ish with 744s then I think dropped the SYD tag and ran a 5 weekly 772 until 2001.

bhxalex

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:38 pm

flee wrote:
MH does not have the equipment to operate direct flights to Europe.

They have 359s, which currently operate double daily to LHR. As well as 380s which are also capable of operating direct from KUL to Europe.

flee

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:14 am

bhxalex wrote:
flee wrote:
MH does not have the equipment to operate direct flights to Europe.

They have 359s, which currently operate double daily to LHR. As well as 380s which are also capable of operating direct from KUL to Europe.

We know that, for MH, the A380 cannot serve direct routes to Europe profitably - that is why the A359 was brought in.

Currently, the small A359 fleet is fully deployed to LHR and to MH's Japan routes. Any new route to Europe will require more aircraft.

airpearl

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:36 am

flyjay123 wrote:

I don't think VS ever operated their own equipment to KUL. However, in the early stages of the codeshare with MH, there were at least a few VS cabin crew working alongside MH's aboard the MH services between KUL and LHR. I remember being on one flight in those days when I was served by a VS cabin crew.

Auchmithie

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 am

Cunard wrote:
With regards to triple daily B744's.

Malaysian Airlines have flown KUL to LHR upto twice daily for several years with extra seasonal flights added including a Kuala Lumpur-Langkawi-London Heathrow route during the nineties. Malaysian Airlines used the B742/B744/B777 and prior to that it was a daily 11.00 departure ex LHR with the DC10-30 and long before that on the B707.

The routing was 2 x weekly KUL-LHR-LGK-KUL and 2 x weekly KUL-LHR-PEN-KUL aimed at the Inclusive Tour market on top of the twice daily direct MH1/MH2/MH3/MH4 KUL-LHR-KUL services. Flight numbers were MH7/MH8 and were operated solely by B744s.

flyjay123

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:00 am

Sorry folks I'm not great with the internet and can't seem to work to how to share the link with you. However if you google 'Virgin bucks Oz trend - flight global' You will see details of VS launching LHR-KULroute x3 weekly on its own aircraft all be it with a leased in 747400 from MH.
Last edited by flyjay123 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyjay123

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 am

flyjay123 wrote:
Sorry folks I'm not great with the internet and can't seem to work out how to share the link with you. However if you google 'Virgin bucks Oz trend - flight global' You will see details of VS launching KUL -LHR route x3 weekly on its own aircraft all be it with a leased in 747400 from MH.

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:30 am

flyjay123 wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
Sorry folks I'm not great with the internet and can't seem to work out how to share the link with you. However if you google 'Virgin bucks Oz trend - flight global' You will see details of VS launching KUL -LHR route x3 weekly on its own aircraft all be it with a leased in 747400 from MH.

Here you go

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... end-16799/

NZ321 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

ME3 has flooded the market & have brand recognition. Take for example Condor - the average Malaysian doesn't know a thing about Condor, and their marketing is poor, hence people would be hesitant to book with them which pushes the yields down tremendously for them as they need to lower fares in order to compete. The same goes for AF/LH.

But for some reason KL survives the onslaught, maybe because the KUL flights serves as a triangle with CGK which allows them to offer daily services unlike AF (both 3x weekly).
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

BealineV953

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am

flyjay123 wrote:

I've been trying to find the date on which BA pulled off KUL. Haven't found the date yet, but it wasn't as early as 1997.

In W98/99 as part of realignment of BA and QF capacity in the Asia-Pacific region, BA began a "new route" connecting the UK and Australia via Kuala Lumpur. A case of what goes around, comes around.
At the same time Qantas pulled off Kuala Lumpur to Sydney.
Also, flights between London and Jakarta reduced from six to two a week.

In W00/01 BA services to Kuala Lumpur were reduced by one frequency to five per week.

In December 2001 British Airways and Cathay Pacific Airways expanded their code-sharing agreement to include Kuala Lumpur and other cities. Of course code-share does not mean that BA was serving KUL with its own aircraft. However, it will have made pulling off KUL less painful.

eta unknown

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:03 pm

The BA SYD flights were all via BKK in the 90's, although you did have LH and NG operating via KUL to SYD/MEL.

As for VS... Yes there were VS crew on board the MH flights, but I can't recall VS operating to SYD with leased MH 747's... The Flight global article states that was an intention, but did it actually happen? I worked for a competitor in SYD back then and knew the VS manager (Simon), but I can't remember this at all.

Pellegrine

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 am

BealineV953 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Are you sure?

For some reason I remember MH 3xD KUL-LHR all 744s. Correct me if I'm wrong.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

ZK-NBT

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:11 am

eta unknown wrote:
The BA SYD flights were all via BKK in the 90's, although you did have LH and NG operating via KUL to SYD/MEL.

As for VS... Yes there were VS crew on board the MH flights, but I can't recall VS operating to SYD with leased MH 747's... The Flight global article states that was an intention, but did it actually happen? I worked for a competitor in SYD back then and knew the VS manager (Simon), but I can't remember this at all.

BA ran KUL-SYD in the late 90’s probably 1997/98-2000 3 weekly 744s.

flyjay123

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:24 am

eta unknown wrote:

BA Australia flights also stopped in SIN - I flew them 1990 via both BKK & SIN.

VS didn't fly their own metal all the way to SYD (in those days) but two CC on the codeshare with MH would. VS were awarded 3 weekly LHR - KUL in 1995. They leased a 747400 from MH to operate it - think they dropped it after about year and MH took over. MH combined its 11 x eeekly service with VS to create a competitive double daily againt BA! VS then codshared with MH to KUL and onward to SYD, MEL, ADL.

eta unknown

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I remember the BA 744 switching the intermediate stop from BKK to SIN, then changing to a 772 once the kangaroo route bloodbath started, but still stumped about the KUL stop.

BealineV953

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Are you sure?

For some reason I remember MH 3xD KUL-LHR all 744s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My posts are about BRITISH AIRWAYS services to KUL and the frequency of those BA services.
My posts are NOT about Malaysian Airways services to London. I'll leave others to comment on that.

BealineV953

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:58 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

BA ran KUL-SYD in the late 90’s probably 1997/98-2000 3 weekly 744s.

Here's a snapshot of BA services to and through KUL:

S85
2 p/w L10 LHR-AUH-KUL-MNL
1 p/w 747 LHR-BAH-BKK-KUL
1 p/w 747 LHR-BAH-BOM-KUL

S94
3 p/w 744 LHR-KUL-JKT

S97
5 p/w 744 LHR-KUL-JKT

W98/99
BA began a "new route" connecting the UK and Australia via Kuala Lumpur.
This was part of realignment of BA and QF capacity in the Asia-Pacific region.
At the same time Qantas pulled off Kuala Lumpur to Sydney.
Also, flights between London and Jakarta reduced from six to two a week.

W00/01
BA services to Kuala Lumpur were reduced by one frequency to five per week.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos