Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

worldranger
Topic Author

Emirates to grow Fleet 30% - STC

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:29 am

Another growth period through 2025 after a relative slow ‘consolidation’ period. Expansion in Africa/MENA/Americas. Potential EK/FZ Fleet of 450

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... sion-plans

On separate note - updates Air Services Agreement with India set to be announced by Nov with significant increase in weekly seats from 68k to 100k plus.

FrenchPotatoEye

Re: Emirates to grow Fleet 30% - STC

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 am

This suggests more 77X, 787, A350 and A33neos.

Not less.

Avgeek21

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:40 am

Don’t forget flydubai is poised for a fleet of around 236 MAX’s too.

xwb777

Sir Tim Clark reveals Emirates airline expansion plans

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:57 am

During his recent interview with Steve Harvey, Sir Tim has stated that for the past 20 years, Emirates has been growing at rate ranging between 14 and 20%, and the airline at the recent stage is going thru a period of consolidation. By 2025, the airline aims to grow by another 30%.

Quote: "“We’re just consolidating as we transition the fleet to more fuel efficient, more profitable aircraft for us, maintaining the high levels of product and offering a network of 350 of our own, possibly with Flydubai it will be 450 or 500 aircraft flying probably to 450 destinations.

“We’re transitioning to that situation, everything is being mapped on that basis and we believe, with a high degree of confidence, we will be able to achieve that.”"

Speaking about expansion and new routes, Sir Tim has indicated that the airline will be receiving new aircraft from 2021 including the A330NEOs, A350s and B787s and B777Xs. This will enable the airline to open new markets in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, United States and South America.

Link: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... sion-plans

What cities are left in the ME region for expansion?

MrHMSH

Re: Sir Tim Clark reveals Emirates airline expansion plans

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 am

Airbus and Boeing will be happy that all their widebody products are getting a big endorsement, while unsurprising it is news that EK does intend to take the 787, we hadn't heard much on it until now. A large fleet of A330neos, A350s, 777Xs and 787s will do them quite nicely. But is there enough space?

behramjee

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 am

worldranger wrote:
Another growth period through 2025 after a relative slow ‘consolidation’ period. Expansion in Africa/MENA/Americas. Potential EK/FZ Fleet of 450

On separate note - updates Air Services Agreement with India set to be announced by Nov with significant increase in weekly seats from 68k to 100k plus.

if your last point regarding India seats is true, then i expect it to be announced at the Dubai air show as I dont forsee this time around, EK announcing any new orders there unless we get surprised with a B787 firm announcement.

The A339 will enable a lot of new African points in particular to be opened up which couldnt support a B77W.

Geoff1947

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 am

Confirmation, of sorts, that they will be ordering A330s, A350s and 787s. Currently they just have 777s and A380s on order. Maybe all finalised at the Dubai Air Show.
Geoff

Scotron12

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:13 am

According to WIKI...the ME is comprised of 18 countries, including Israel and Yeman, and of course Qatar & Iran. I think those four can be ruled out.

Saudi is the largest, then Egypt and Turkey..all other markets are rather smallish.

mig17

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 am

He confirms consolidation is happening now and expect growth to resume in the future.
The 14 to 20% growth per year is over and 30% fleet growth by 2025 may not be a 30% of seat growth either with smaller, more efficient planes and is a "reachable" target.

But again, Emirates future may not be entirely in it's hands with all what is happening worldwide and in the Middle East right now. I don't see EK investing massively soon without caution.

But DAS is coming, we'll see.
Last edited by mig17 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

lalib

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:04 am

What on earth is he smoking?

If that were true then why isn't DWC being built at record pace? Correct me if I am wrong but with the A380 on its way out and the following types of a/c in A330NEOs, A350s and B787s means more slots required for EK at a slot constrained DXB airport.

chunhimlai

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:04 am

Is DXB large enough for such a large fleet?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:20 am

Emirates may end up taking over Etihad, so from this perspective a good proportion of the reported growth could come from simply acquiring this airline.

musman9853

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:28 am

chunhimlai wrote:

Dxb is tapped out, no? This would probably need dwc getting finished

dtw2hyd

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:47 am

Looks like frame and engine makers didn't respond to his stick positively, he is out with a bag of carrots.

Note to all sales teams: Never sign the contract EK typed.
Last edited by dtw2hyd on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

airbazar

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

musman9853 wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Not even close to being tapped out. LHR for example handles more movements than DXB but unlike LHR, DXB is a 24-hour airport.
EK can grow their other connecting banks. I believe they have 4 connecting banks at different times of the day but only 2 I think are tapped out.

klm617

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 am

So what are the routes they are adding. Without naming out what they are adding and when this is nothing more than a corporate propaganda piece that holds no water.

lightsaber

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

EK had a great run. But the times people want to fly are maxed out. LHR thrives on O&D traffic. While EK has the most O&D of the ME3, it isn't the 70%+ of LHR.

This seems over ambitious unless China opened up rights.

Lightsaber

lalib

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:09 pm

travelhound wrote:
Emirates may end up taking over Etihad, so from this perspective a good proportion of the reported growth could come from simply acquiring this airline.

Too much pride between the two emirates. The rulers of AUH would rather shrink EY to a boutique airline to stop the bleeding and leave it at that.

Did you know that AUH built a brand new terminal opposite the existing terminal but it never opened for business due to a major construction flaw. There is no news updates or any mention of the new terminal that was built.

Truth be told there was no need to build a new terminal in AUH, AUH could have invested in DWC, since it on the border and only 70 kms away from AUH current airport.

There is no cooperation between these two.

mjoelnir

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:26 pm

lightsaber wrote:
EK had a great run. But the times people want to fly are maxed out. LHR thrives on O&D traffic. While EK has the most O&D of the ME3, it isn't the 70%+ of LHR.

This seems over ambitious unless China opened up rights.

Lightsaber

I think the O&D numbers at LHR are quite a bit overrated. A lot of passengers, like for example me, do use LHR on separate tickets in and out. Everytime I fly to LHR, I am counted twice as O&D, but am in reality a transfer passenger. The airline I use to LHR, Icelandair, is not a part of an alliance. The same problem you will find on many Nordic, other European or even domestic UK destinations. People even change airports. Flying to Bilbao from KEF, I will come into LHR and take the bus to LGW. Coming in from DXB, I will have to change the airline, as many people do, to get to the next destination.
People also transfer in London to rail and Bus in far bigger numbers, than for example at an USA airport, or in this comparison at DXB. Just look how many Eurostar passengers transfer to a flight at a London airport and vice versa. The O&D numbers at a lot of European hubs with good rail connections are overstated, because of the change of transport mode for the rest of the trip.

peterinlisbon

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm

lalib wrote:
travelhound wrote:

Too much pride between the two emirates. The rulers of AUH would rather shrink EY to a boutique airline to stop the bleeding and leave it at that.

Did you know that AUH built a brand new terminal opposite the existing terminal but it never opened for business due to a major construction flaw. There is no news updates or any mention of the new terminal that was built.

Truth be told there was no need to build a new terminal in AUH, AUH could have invested in DWC, since it on the border and only 70 kms away from AUH current airport.

There is no cooperation between these two.

They should build DWC and make it Dubai/Abu Dhabi Intl, close down the other two and build a high-speed link connecting Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah with a stop at the new airport. Then they can just have a codeshare agreement and share the traffic between them.

CHRISBA35X

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 pm

I don't really see their projections - I think they are maxed out to be honest. Where are they going to add 30% more capacity? Frequencies?

Might the 380 be on the way out earlier than we thought? And can DXB even handle 30% more flights?

Lastly, given the regional tensions is there even 30% growth on top of their current numbers out there willing to fly through the middle east or stay there? I'm not convinced, I'll be honest.

I used to be a huge fan on EK but my view has changed somewhat since living there.

cledaybuck

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:
I don't really see their projections - I think they are maxed out to be honest. Where are they going to add 30% more capacity? Frequencies?

Might the 380 be on the way out earlier than we thought? And can DXB even handle 30% more flights?

Lastly, given the regional tensions is there even 30% growth on top of their current numbers out there willing to fly through the middle east or stay there? I'm not convinced, I'll be honest.

I used to be a huge fan on EK but my view has changed somewhat since living there.

30% growth over 5 years is around 5.5% per year. Doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:58 pm

worldranger wrote:

At the end of the article, he mentions DWC as part of the growth strategy. Will some of the FlyDubai fleet move to DWC? Otherwise, I fail to see how the 2 runways at DXB will cope with all this added metal.

CHRISBA35X

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:

30% growth over 5 years is around 5.5% per year. Doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Yes but my point is how are they going to grow net 5.5% PA with other cheaper and better value airlines chipping away at their traffic and the wider geopolitical concerns in the middle east? Where is all this new traffic going to come from? India bilateral maxed, western Europe maxed, Australasia seemingly maxed, where is it coming from? Not China surely?

worldranger
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:17 pm

STC didn’t say capacity would grow 30%....he said ‘fleet’.

The thread title is ‘fleet’ not capacity

Smaller aircraft for larger aircraft - means increased frequencies and destinations.

CHRISBA35X

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:26 pm

worldranger wrote:

Smaller aircraft for larger aircraft - means increased frequencies and destinations.

If thats the case then maybe the A380s are on the way out sooner. Lets see.

unrave

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Does DXB even have the capacity to handle 30% more aircraft operations?

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:16 pm

worldranger wrote:

Is the FlyDubai fleet about 30% the size of the Emirates fleet? :stirthepot:

worldranger
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Yes - with new connection banks - capacity can grow.

Word is the Royal Hanger will move to DWC, freeing up the south east section for a terminal and gates

migair54

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:29 pm

worldranger wrote:
Yes - with new connection banks - capacity can grow.

Word is the Royal Hanger will move to DWC, freeing up the south east section for a terminal and gates

Actually part of that platform is already in use with I think 2 parking gates. That area where the royal wing is, it's quite large, lot of parking area, specially if they demolish everything and just add parking area, however it will be a long drive from Terminals.

klm617 wrote:
So what are the routes they are adding. Without naming out what they are adding and when this is nothing more than a corporate propaganda piece that holds no water.

First of all, some routes routes that are no longer served, with new smaller and more efficient planes could come back easily.
some examples are Nagoya, Alexandria, Davao, Kano, less likely Moroni, and some routes that are currently suspended due to political issues could return in the future, Sana'a, Doha, Tripoli, Kiev, Damascus.
And then lot of potential in Africa, but it's not an easy market, Kinshasa, Kigali, Antananarivo, Yaounde/Douala, Mombasa, Kilimanjaro/Zanzibar, Bamako.

I read a few month ago that UAE and India were in talks about increasing the number of seat between countries by maybe up to 30%, and I think EK could serve more Chinese cities, but I am not sure what's the problem there, maybe we will see some flights to Beijing-Daxing also.

airbazar wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Not even close to being tapped out. LHR for example handles more movements than DXB but unlike LHR, DXB is a 24-hour airport.
EK can grow their other connecting banks. I believe they have 4 connecting banks at different times of the day but only 2 I think are tapped out.

I am not sure if it's 4 or 3 big banks (around 2am, 8 am and 2pm), but for sure some hours T3 is quite empty, so I think they could accommodate more flights for sure.

peterinlisbon wrote:
They should build DWC and make it Dubai/Abu Dhabi Intl, close down the other two and build a high-speed link connecting Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah with a stop at the new airport. Then they can just have a codeshare agreement and share the traffic between them.

Actually it's the Etihad Rail and few days ago it was on the news, it's under construction right now.
https://www.thenational.ae/uae/transpor ... t-1.916888

VV

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Is it 30% increase in capacity or is it an increase in number of airplanes?

Polot

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 pm

VV wrote:
Is it 30% increase in capacity or is it an increase in number of airplanes?

In number of planes. I don’t think STC ever said 30% himself, just they will go from 350 to 450-500 planes and the journalist did the math.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos