Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

md3
Topic Author

AS & AA Seperation (Essentially) Coming March 1, 2020

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:21 pm

All but a few codeshare routes remain which will still warm miles in each other's programs.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/how-to-earn-miles/airline-partners/american-airlines?lid=mileageplan:airline-partner-overview:AA

With no more award redemption partnership and such a small earning offering, this is a real loss. More impactful to AS members, but in light of other recent announcements around AAdvantage, a bad day for its members as well.

braniff2hav

Re: AS & AA Seperation (Essentially) Coming March 1, 2020

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Why are they unable to partner closer? I forgot.

chrisp390

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Time for merger mania. A combination of AA & AS.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:55 pm

I used AA miles on AS for OMA-SEA-LAS. Couldn't do it on AA metal via ORD or DFW for some reason. Really loved the AS experience; transiting SEA, not so much.

global1

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:03 pm

This severely diminishes the usefulness of the AS frequent flyer program unless your travel takes you primarily on their limited network. So much for AA coming to the rescue after the schism with DL.

I believe spurning DL will ultimately prove to have been a major strategic error. The choice of potential partners is now greatly diminished. DL has set up shop in Sea. Buying Virgin was an expensive exercise with lackluster results. WN has started to invade their Hawaiian routes, etc.

This post deals strictly with with strategy and not Alaska’s product:

JonNYC

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:16 pm

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1152 ... 76449?s=20

AA's version just went up on AA.com as well.

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:17 pm

Thankfully the lounge reciprocation agreement remains intact for now.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:18 pm

global1 wrote:

I believe spurning DL will ultimately prove to have been a major strategic error.

How did Alaska spurn Delta?

DarthLobster

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:21 pm

chrisp390 wrote:

So 1-1=2? Why does every single change mean a merger is coming to some people?

BNAMealer

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Why is this happening? AA and AS should be growing closer, not further apart.

What on earth is AS’s strategy going forward?

hiflyeras

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:26 pm

I was surprised at how few people they say redeem AS miles for AA travel...I know it's gotten tougher, particularly trying to book C or J class. A loss to AS in my opinion and am sad to see this happen. It'd be horrifying to see a AA-AS merger...I'd rather it be DL if it had to happen.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:30 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
I was surprised at how few people they say redeem AS miles for AA travel...I know it's gotten tougher, particularly trying to book C or J class. A loss to AS in my opinion and am sad to see this happen. It'd be horrifying to see a AA-AS merger...I'd rather it be DL if it had to happen.

Delta doesn’t need an AS merger, nor would it get approved. DL will slowly just push and push against AS in SEA
From my cold, dead hands

redzeppelin

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:30 pm

braniff2hav wrote:

IIRC, it started with the Virgin America acquisition. Regulators were concerned about reduced competition at LAX and forced AS to drop some code shares with AA. Does that sound right?

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm

The dramatics on here are hilarious. Can’t redeem miles on AA!!! Merger!!!

Outside of the redemption issue, which is disappointing, there’s not much change here. You still earn on a handful of codeshare flights just like before. International partners go to just as many places (although the BA fees need to be addressed even moreso now). But you’re all right. Alaska should just close up shop and is worthless now because you can’t redeem miles to get to Chattanooga.

DL747400

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm

AA doing some partnership housecleaning in preparation for an acquisition of B6?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Josh32121

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:44 pm

DL747400 wrote:
AA doing some partnership housecleaning in preparation for an acquisition of B6?

So they'd end up with hubs or focus cities at BOS, JFK, PHL, DCA, CLT, FLL, and MIA? And overlap each other's Caribbean network?

I think AA has lost its way and/or become a terrible negotiator with other airlines.
ATLien

ScottB

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:45 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

I'm going to assume this is being driven from AA's side, and it's not all that surprising. With AS's stated plan going forward to be the premier airline on the West Coast, and with AA having hubs in both LAX and PHX, AS is stepping on AA's toes quite a bit more than they once did. They also started competing with AA in key high-value transcon markets with the purchase of VX, even though AS has dropped the VX premium cabin offering.

The benefit to AA and its customers is what? Access to a handful of small markets in the Pacific NW and Alaska? AA would much rather have its AAdvantage members fly on its own aircraft (even if that requires connecting) in markets like BOS-PDX or NYC-SEA. How many customers was AS realistically feeding to AA international flights at this point? They partner with many of AA's competitors.

global1

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 pm

This has to make it more difficult to retain and recruit large corporate contracts whose travel requires comprehensive coverage.

Prost

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:02 pm

I think a lot of the routes AS’s FFs use are pretty well covered now by Alaska or their international partners. It seems like American was a ‘nice to have’ not a ‘need to have.’ People fret about the direction Alaska is going, but if I’m not mistaken, their margins are still better than AA, UA, and DL.

cschleic

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:16 pm

ScottB wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I'm going to assume this is being driven from AA's side, and it's not all that surprising. With AS's stated plan going forward to be the premier airline on the West Coast, and with AA having hubs in both LAX and PHX, AS is stepping on AA's toes quite a bit more than they once did. They also started competing with AA in key high-value transcon markets with the purchase of VX, even though AS has dropped the VX premium cabin offering.

The benefit to AA and its customers is what? Access to a handful of small markets in the Pacific NW and Alaska? AA would much rather have its AAdvantage members fly on its own aircraft (even if that requires connecting) in markets like BOS-PDX or NYC-SEA. How many customers was AS realistically feeding to AA international flights at this point? They partner with many of AA's competitors.

Makes sense if it's from AA's side.

As a long-time mileage plan status member, the service and benefits have been great. While Alaska has an extensive network, it really only works up and down the west coast and on select transcon routes. There aren't enough frequencies to some cities for business travelers and schedules change regularly...this month there's an overnight flight to XYZ, in the fall there isn't, now there is one again from LAX but not SFO or PDX anymore...etc. AS's airport and in-flight service since the acquisition has become inconsistent, DL's push into the northwest has created more connecting opportunities with them, and AS mileage opportunities are shrinking. While some AA codesharing remains, fares on AA metal with AS flight numbers generally are ridiculously higher than an AS flight so why bother?.

FF programs are an important part of generating and keeping business. Despite significant route growth, it's still limited compared to competitors, particularly with the locations of its hubs including SFO with it's weather delays. AS is isolating itself but without the scale of the larger competitors.

jplatts

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 pm

braniff2hav wrote:

There were some restrictions that the US DOJ imposed on the AS-AA relationship in order to allow the AS-VX merger to get approved.

AA is also less reliant on the AS codeshare relationship due to
(a) the AA-US merger,
(b) AA now serving BOI from DFW and ORD in addition to PHX,
(c) AA now serving GEG nonstop from DFW in addition to PHX, and
(d) AS now serving ABQ, BWI, CHS, CMH, DTW, ELP, IND, MKE, BNA, MSY, JFK, OKC, OMA, PIT, RDU, TPA, IAD, and ICT nonstop from SEA.

AS could also add SEA-CLT, SEA-CVG, SEA-CLE, SEA-BDL, and SEA-ORF nonstop service in order to fill in the void left by the weakening of the AS-AA partnership.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:22 pm

global1 wrote:
This has to make it more difficult to retain and recruit large corporate contracts whose travel requires comprehensive coverage.

Ha. This is ridiculous. Alaska is still flying to the same places as it was before. How one could come to that conclusion is mind boggling.

braniff2hav

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Josh32121 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

So they'd end up with hubs or focus cities at BOS, JFK, PHL, DCA, CLT, FLL, and MIA? And overlap each other's Caribbean network?

I think AA has lost its way and/or become a terrible negotiator with other airlines.

AA is a shell of itself - compared to what it was from the Northeast to the Caribbean these days.
They gve the market to B6 sadly.
Yes, AA has lost its way indeed.

kdeg00

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:55 pm

The only benefit I have ever used from the relationship is access to AA lounges. I've looked at potentially using AA on international connections, but have always opted for BA, Cathay or the like.
AS 75K, DL Gold, BA Silver

patrickjp93

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:57 pm

BNAMealer wrote:

What on earth is AS’s strategy going forward?

Partnering with United, duh :rotfl:

patrickjp93

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
global1 wrote:

Ha. This is ridiculous. Alaska is still flying to the same places as it was before. How one could come to that conclusion is mind boggling.

International travel they used to book through Alaska now has to be moved to be through one of the big 3 from start to finish or has to be booked on separate tickets (which business travelers will hate), which means Alaska will lose corporate partnering contracts. American businesses do not elect to send their staff on international airlines' metal very often due to cost. And depending on how Trump wants to play the trade wars with the Middle East, this tendency could become almost uniform behavior.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:09 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
global1 wrote:

International travel they used to book through Alaska now has to be moved to be through one of the big 3 from start to finish or has to be booked on separate tickets (which business travelers will hate), which means Alaska will lose corporate partnering contracts. American businesses do not elect to send their staff on international airlines' metal very often due to cost. And depending on how Trump wants to play the trade wars with the Middle East, this tendency could become almost uniform behavior.

So you’re saying that Alaska has corporate contracts where businesses would book international flights on American through Alaska? Even though outside of LAX American doesn’t fly any major international routes out of Alaska’s hubs where most corporate contracts likely exist? Seems woefully inefficient.

patrickjp93

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:15 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

So you’re saying that Alaska has corporate contracts where businesses would book international flights on American through Alaska? Even though outside of LAX American doesn’t fly any major international routes out of Alaska’s hubs where most corporate contracts likely exist? Seems woefully inefficient.

Um, did you completely forget ORD, SEA, PHL, and DFW exist? AS flies to all of those from a few locations, and not every corporation is based in a huge city. P&G as one big example based in Cincinnati flies out of CVG, which is also home to a couple AS birds.

berari

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:24 pm

AS is starting to get isolated, which is a challenge especially given the geographical isolation it already lives in. I would have expected AA to be its long term partner, or even better, merger potential. All that AS now has is the feed it gets from Asian airlines and EK, which I wonder were contributing reasons for AA to walk away.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:24 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

Um, did you completely forget ORD, SEA, PHL, and DFW exist? AS flies to all of those from a few locations, and not every corporation is based in a huge city. P&G as one big example based in Cincinnati flies out of CVG, which is also home to a couple AS birds.

Yeah...if a company based in CVG is contracting with Alaska for international travel then they really need a new corporate travel department.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:27 pm

berari wrote:
AS is starting to get isolated, which is a challenge especially given the geographical isolation it already lives in. I would have expected AA to be its long term partner, or even better, merger potential. All that AS now has is the feed it gets from Asian airlines and EK, which I wonder were contributing reasons for AA to walk away.

Codeshare partners

American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Emirates
Fiji Airways
Finnair
Icelandair
Japan Airlines
Korean Air
LATAM Airlines
PenAir
Qantas
Singapore Airlines

patrickjp93

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:33 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
berari wrote:

Codeshare partners

American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Emirates
Fiji Airways
Finnair
Icelandair
Japan Airlines
Korean Air
LATAM Airlines
PenAir
Qantas
Singapore Airlines

And the crown jewel of the One World Alliance walked away wanting to preserve its own profits and capacities...sigh...so much for increased competition in aviation.

patrickjp93

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:34 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

Yeah...if a company based in CVG is contracting with Alaska for international travel then they really need a new corporate travel department.

Much cheaper than dealing with American.

berari

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
berari wrote:

Codeshare partners

American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Emirates
Fiji Airways
Finnair
Icelandair
Japan Airlines
Korean Air
LATAM Airlines
PenAir
Qantas
Singapore Airlines

And the crown jewel of the One World Alliance walked away wanting to preserve its own profits and capacities...sigh...so much for increased competition in aviation.

Actually this IS increased competition, where no collaboration exists.

I chuckled at the following from AS's email:

American Airlines AAdvantage members will no longer be able to redeem AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines flights, freeing up more award space for Mileage Plan members.

As someone who lives in Western Canada, I have found AS Mileage Plan to be the hardest to redeem on at the lowest/discounted redemption rates. I depleted my miles earlier this year, canceled the branded credit card and moved on.

Looking through that list, none of the airlines match the might of what AA had to offer, with them offering single daily flights into AS cities at best.

Would an AS/B6 tie up create a solid major?

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:40 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

Much cheaper than dealing with American.

Ok. I’m pretty sure you’re arguing about something that doesn’t exist.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:44 pm

berari wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

Codeshare partners

American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Emirates
Fiji Airways
Finnair
Icelandair
Japan Airlines
Korean Air
LATAM Airlines
PenAir
Qantas
Singapore Airlines

Actually this IS increased competition, where no collaboration exists.

I chuckled at the following from AS's email:

American Airlines AAdvantage members will no longer be able to redeem AAdvantage miles on Alaska Airlines flights, freeing up more award space for Mileage Plan members.

As someone who lives in Western Canada, I have found AS Mileage Plan to be the hardest to redeem on at the lowest/discounted redemption rates. I depleted my miles earlier this year, canceled the branded credit card and moved on.

Looking through that list, none of the airlines match the might of what AA had to offer, with them offering single daily flights into AS cities at best.

Would an AS/B6 tie up create a solid major?

Just FYI the codeshare agreement between American and Alaska is not changing as of yet. So there’s no change to Alaska’s “feed” as so many are implying. What is changing is that you cannot redeem or earn on non-codeshare flights whether they’re international or domestic. And non-codeshare domestic AA flights weren’t eligible before anyways. So the biggest change here is to the mileage partnership. NOT the codeshare or “feed”.

seabosdca

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:49 pm

I seriously doubt that any corporations outside the West Coast are contracting with AS.

For those in the Pacific Northwest, this will have little impact. For those in California, and especially SoCal, this will reduce the utility of AS. Given AA's wish to compete in LAX, that's presumably by design.

luckyone

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Just a quick observation. You could only book international travel onto American Airlines through Alaska Airlines via an award ticket. If you want to earn miles on Alaska for a partner flight you always had to book with the partner airline directly (try booking a Seattle to London flight without awards on Alaska's website...you can't). So while yes this affects how many choices folks have when they earn/burn miles, it hasn't changed how corporate contracts would be booked.

cmillerb18

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Is there a list somewhere that shows which flights are still code shared after March 2020? Looks like Madison Wisconsin (MSN) from ORD is currently an Alaska codeshare (flight AS/AA 4200) for example, but it looks like it goes away in March? I will miss American connectivity to smaller midwest towns, and additional schedule options.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:10 pm

luckyone wrote:
Just a quick observation. You could only book international travel onto American Airlines through Alaska Airlines via an award ticket. If you want to earn miles on Alaska for a partner flight you always had to book with the partner airline directly (try booking a Seattle to London flight without awards on Alaska's website...you can't). So while yes this affects how many choices folks have when they earn/burn miles, it hasn't changed how corporate contracts would be booked.

Thank you. People are misunderstanding the impact of this. There will be literally no change to codeshare or “feed” flights. Any non-codeshare flights will be as they were before...two fares with an interline agreement.

berari

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:03 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Thank you. People are misunderstanding the impact of this. There will be literally no change to codeshare or “feed” flights. Any non-codeshare flights will be as they were before...two fares with an interline agreement.

It's still a partnership that is eroded. What could have been fed through to AS because of stronger ties now can effectively and equally be interlined with someone else.

global1

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: Codeshare partners list. AA will be significantly reduced. Over the medium term I wouldn’t count on Korean or LATAM. Fiji Airways or PenAir, really?

scrumbum

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm

This leaves a pretty sizable hole with respect to partner access to Latin America. If LATAM also goes away it will be much more pronounced.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:19 pm

berari wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
luckyone wrote:

It's still a partnership that is eroded. What could have been fed through to AS because of stronger ties now can effectively and equally be interlined with someone else.

There was and is no “feed” outside of the codeshare flights. That’s just an interline. Again, no change unless they reduce the number of codeshare flights. While the partnership is eroded it once again is not impacting the “feed” of either airline. What is being impacted is the advantage of earning and redeeming miles on either airline. As stated several times before.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 pm

global1 wrote:
Re: Codeshare partners list. AA will be significantly reduced. Over the medium term I wouldn’t count on Korean or LATAM. Fiji Airways or PenAir, really?

Please provide source that codeshare flights will be reduced. It may happen but I haven’t seen any announcement for that.

kdeg00

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Interestingly (at least to me), with LATAM ditching AA/OneWorld and aligning with DL, I was assuming now might be a good time for AS to look at a more integrated position within OneWorld. I also would have thought that there was some appeal by AA for AS's limited Mexico connections despite AA's massive Latin America coverage.
AS 75K, DL Gold, BA Silver

MAH4546

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:47 pm

kdeg00 wrote:
I also would have thought that there was some appeal by AA for AS's limited Mexico connections despite AA's massive Latin America coverage.

AA is the single largest airline between the U.S. and Mexico, larger than even AeroMexico.
a.

luckyone

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:24 pm

kdeg00 wrote:
Interestingly (at least to me), with LATAM ditching AA/OneWorld and aligning with DL, I was assuming now might be a good time for AS to look at a more integrated position within OneWorld. I also would have thought that there was some appeal by AA for AS's limited Mexico connections despite AA's massive Latin America coverage.

Because obviously now we should expect an announcement in the next six to twelve months that Delta is going to buy Alaska Airlines. :cheeky:

TW787

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:01 pm

chrisp390 wrote:

I typically don't participate in this kind of conversation, but in this case I think it is time for AA & AS to get together, if done right.

AA needs a return to focus on customer service and operational excellence. AS has both of those.

AS has lost its way with its recent network changes that make little to zero sense. So it appears they have no future except as a PNW carrier. AA would solve that problem.

Would the whole thing probably get bungled by the inferior leadership at both carriers? Probably, but in theory it makes sense.

LAXBUR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm

TW787 wrote:
chrisp390 wrote:

AS has lost its way with its recent network changes that make little to zero sense. So it appears they have no future except as a PNW carrier. AA would solve that problem.

Alaska is bigger than ever but somehow people seem to come to the conclusion it is smaller than ever. Have they made cuts, yes. Are they still flying more route than they did before the merger, yes. Are they profitable, yes. Apparently flying unprofitable routes is sensical but cutting unprofitable routes makes “zero sense.”