Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VCVSpotter

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:42 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan

So am I reading this right, TG's A380s are going bye bye? Less than 10 years after acquiring them?

Most probably; I kind of expected that the A380 and 747 fleet to be gone, but removing the A330 is just bizzare in general, unless they are moving the A330 fleet to WE.

Does anyone have information on where they (A380, 747, or A330) may be sent for retirement/long term storage? Or will they stay in Thailand? Thai have historically sent aircraft to Mojave (MHV) and San Bernardino (SBD) in Southern California....if they do end up coming here I’d love to see them one last time....
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9

filipinoavgeek

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:24 am

Speaking of Thai, apparently since last month Manila has been the only Southeast Asian destination they have been service and the rest have been suspended. Is there any reason why they'd rather continue serving Manila as opposed to more obvious markets like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta?
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

TheEuphorian

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

So am I reading this right, TG's A380s are going bye bye? Less than 10 years after acquiring them?

Most probably; I kind of expected that the A380 and 747 fleet to be gone, but removing the A330 is just bizzare in general, unless they are moving the A330 fleet to WE.

Does anyone have information on where they (A380, 747, or A330) may be sent for retirement/long term storage? Or will they stay in Thailand? Thai have historically sent aircraft to Mojave (MHV) and San Bernardino (SBD) in Southern California....if they do end up coming here I’d love to see them one last time....

Going to assume that the A380s will be stored in UTP.

filipinoavgeek

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:17 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

If they're going there, how likely is it that they will be scrapped? Are planes stored at UTP ever scrapped or do they just stay there for eternity?
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

TheEuphorian

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:33 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

If they're going there, how likely is it that they will be scrapped? Are planes stored at UTP ever scrapped or do they just stay there for eternity?

Probably like how TG treats their former A340 fleet; stored indefinitely like the A345 fleet in DMK or the A346 fleet in UTP.

mercure1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 am

Of the A380 fleet 4 are in BKK (HS-TUA/B/C/D), and 2 in UTP(HS-TUE/F). None have flown since last March/April.

As reported earlier the two frames at UTP have been posted for sale by TG as part all the other A340/B777/B744 that are currently for sale.

As we know Thailand hardly an ideal place to let planes sit for extended periods.
mercure f-wtcc

Aseem747

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:23 am

When will Thai re launch Kathmandu route?

chonetsao

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:31 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
If TG's A380s are truly gone for good, it would be a huge personal blow to me. My first and only flights on the A380 were with TG back in 2013, when the planes were still very new. I had the chance to fly them again in 2019 but deferred owing to work commitments. Less than a year later, the pandemic began and the planes were grounded, and now it looks like my dream of flying with them again to make up for that is now dead. Had I known this was all going to happen I probably would have taken the chance. It's looking less and less likely I'll ever get to fly on an A380 again especially now that airlines left and right are starting to retire them.

I feel for you. But you still have China Southern, Singapore, Emirates and BA which will definitely operate A380s for the considerable time to come. Although this may change within 2 years.

NZ321

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:15 pm

The revised fleet strategy; 787-8 and 787-9, 77W and A350 is very long-range oriented. Thai have traditionally flown a lot of short-medium haul within Asia - 2-3 hours from BKK with widebody. I guess with no narrowbody aircraft and the 773s and 772s and A333s gone - we can expect to see the 787-8 and some 77W on these routes. Or do we smell an A321 on the shopping list? Or - perhaps some regional widebody routes move over to Thai Smile and the A333s with them, as was suggested above (ike the old CX/KA arrangement). For all that Thai gets beat up for their fleet strategy, still love flying them regionally in Asia. Nothing quite like it IMHO. Always something a bit special. And, yes, sad to see the A380s go. Flew them a couple of times to and from Europe.
Plane mad!

Polot

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 pm

NZ321 wrote:
The revised fleet strategy; 787-8 and 787-9, 77W and A350 is very long-range oriented. Thai have traditionally flown a lot of short-medium haul within Asia - 2-3 hours from BKK with widebody. I guess with no narrowbody aircraft and the 773s and 772s and A333s gone - we can expect to see the 787-8 and some 77W on these routes. Or do we smell an A321 on the shopping list? Or - perhaps some regional widebody routes move over to Thai Smile and the A333s with them, as was suggested above (ike the old CX/KA arrangement). For all that Thai gets beat up for their fleet strategy, still love flying them regionally in Asia. Nothing quite like it IMHO. Always something a bit special. And, yes, sad to see the A380s go. Flew them a couple of times to and from Europe.

If the A330s are not transferred to a subsidiary you will probably see the 787s operate those regional routes as required.

People here have a tendency to overestimate the A330’s short haul performance relative to the 787.

mxaxai

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Polot wrote:
People here have a tendency to overestimate the A330’s short haul performance relative to the 787.

The primary advantage of the A330 is relatively cheap financing. With the current dip in demand, though, I'm sure many lessors are willing to reduce monthly payments as long as the plane stays in the air.

For operators that have mixed fleets, it makes no sense to fly older A330 and keep the newer 787 (or A350) on the ground.

lawair

Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:27 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Speaking of Thai, apparently since last month Manila has been the only Southeast Asian destination they have been service and the rest have been suspended. Is there any reason why they'd rather continue serving Manila as opposed to more obvious markets like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta?

Just perusing the timetables and cross-referencing with FlightAware, I'm seeing SIN, KUL, and HKG also served right now, with HKG the most frequently. There are also flights to SYD, CDG, LHR, ZRH, FRA, and CPH, with somewhat oddball schedules right now. I also read that BRU would be restarting this summer. Aircraft seem to be mainly A350 or 77W.

(just some examples)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THA403 (SIN)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THA638 (HKG)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THA920 (FRA)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/THA950 (CPH)

xjetflyer2001

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:13 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
If TG's A380s are truly gone for good, it would be a huge personal blow to me. My first and only flights on the A380 were with TG back in 2013, when the planes were still very new. I had the chance to fly them again in 2019 but deferred owing to work commitments. Less than a year later, the pandemic began and the planes were grounded, and now it looks like my dream of flying with them again to make up for that is now dead. Had I known this was all going to happen I probably would have taken the chance. It's looking less and less likely I'll ever get to fly on an A380 again especially now that airlines left and right are starting to retire them.

Feb 2020 was my last flight on a Thai A380 and also marked the last Thai A380 I needed to be able to claim that I have now flown on every one of Thai's A380's.

eamondzhang

Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:33 am

ewt340 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
I am glad TG has some sort of vision for future. Yet I am getting more confused.

TG owns most of its A330 and they were all around 11-12 years old if the information from this thread is correct. Why would TG get rid of them now? Would it be possible that TG is transferring its A330 to ThaiSmile or Nok to take over bulk of medium haul regional flying?

Also could anyone confirm TG is getting B789s rather than a combination of B788 and B789? 2 B788 would definitely be the oddball in new TG simplified fleet.

That might be the reason why they are getting rid of A330. They need Capital to stays afloat.

Besides, B787 and A350 are next gen aircraft with low fuel burn, so it would be weird to retire those.

Their B777-300ER are young too, and they still got few orders unfulfilled.

This leave B747, B777-200, B777-300, A330-200, A330-300 and A380 as the old dinosaurs in their fleet.

TG never has A330-200 as part of their fleet.

Michael

ASEANFlyer

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:37 am

With so much of the fleet being retired which routes are likely to be cut? Or will they keep the network as is and just cut frequency?

Some I am thinking might be cut:

- Denpasar / Bali (DPS)
- Dubai (DXB)
- Islamabad (ISB)
- Karachi (KHI)
- Muscat (MCT)

In addition to all domestic Thailand routes being transferred to Thai Smile to better compete with the LCC competition.

lalib

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:36 pm

ASEANFlyer wrote:
With so much of the fleet being retired which routes are likely to be cut? Or will they keep the network as is and just cut frequency?

- Denpasar / Bali (DPS)
- Dubai (DXB)
- Islamabad (ISB)
- Karachi (KHI)
- Muscat (MCT)

In addition to all domestic Thailand routes being transferred to Thai Smile to better compete with the LCC competition.

KHI is definitely a money maker for TG. Pre pandemic daily flights and zero competition. No SQ,CX,MH from KHI to Asia. UL is only thing that comes close.

eta unknown

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:41 pm

ASEANFlyer wrote:

- Denpasar / Bali (DPS)
- Dubai (DXB)
- Islamabad (ISB)
- Karachi (KHI)
- Muscat (MCT)

Exactly. With all these aircraft retirements (330, 380, 744) a bunch of routes will have to be cut. You can add BNE to the list- all the local staff (Sales & Airport) were terminated in mid Dec. I believe PER is also under the microscope.

chonetsao

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:26 pm

ASEANFlyer wrote:

It is not going to happen. First there are not many routes left. Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi are the only domestic cities left in TG. Loose Thai service would be a face loosing slap on the local government officials from above three cities.

Second, there is a middle and higher class of Thai elites would never take LCC nor Thai Smile. They will switch to Bangkok Airways if TG is not flying BKK-HKT. But they sure will join any campaign to shame TG first should TG is brave enough to transfer all service to WE. Don't underestimate the backlash from Thai general public in regarding to this issue. Especially if TG survived this round of bankruptcy proceeding on state backings. Then there is even more reason for TG to resume many of the terminated secondary Thai cities to pay back the public money and goodwill on rescue.

Yes Krabi may loose TG if things are not improving as it is the weakest link. But there is no chance TG would exist Chiang Mai and Phuket. It is not in anyone's best interests frankly. TG is not a private company, so it can not behave like one that only think in commercial terms. The final terms of rescue will dictate whether TG has the authority to exit domestic flying. As far as Thai politics go, it is not going to happen.

TMccrury

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:16 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:

From my understanding Jakarta is closed to International Traffic other than repatriation flights. This is based on information from some friends of mine who live in Jakarta. I may be wrong on this.

eamondzhang

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:41 pm

eta unknown wrote:
ASEANFlyer wrote:

- Denpasar / Bali (DPS)
- Dubai (DXB)
- Islamabad (ISB)
- Karachi (KHI)
- Muscat (MCT)

Exactly. With all these aircraft retirements (330, 380, 744) a bunch of routes will have to be cut. You can add BNE to the list- all the local staff (Sales & Airport) were terminated in mid Dec. I believe PER is also under the microscope.

KMG and PNH are definitely two goers - they were supposed to be transferred to WE before pandemic and I doubt TG will come back to these two cities

KHI most likely will stay IMO as stated above - or at least for now

Michael

YYZORD

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:29 am

DAC will probably get cut too

eamondzhang wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
ASEANFlyer wrote:

- Denpasar / Bali (DPS)
- Dubai (DXB)
- Islamabad (ISB)
- Karachi (KHI)
- Muscat (MCT)

KMG and PNH are definitely two goers - they were supposed to be transferred to WE before pandemic and I doubt TG will come back to these two cities

KHI most likely will stay IMO as stated above - or at least for now

Michael

filipinoavgeek

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 am

So if the A380s are indeed goners, do we expect a formal statement from Thai regarding this at some point?
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

TheEuphorian

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:54 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
So if the A380s are indeed goners, do we expect a formal statement from Thai regarding this at some point?

Probably going to be a quiet retirement like the 772A and 744 fleets.

filipinoavgeek

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:55 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

Probably going to be a quiet retirement like the 772A and 744 fleets.

If they do indeed retire them, I don't know what would be the more "dignified" way for them to go: fly off to be scrapped, or be stored in a Thai airport forever like their A345 fleet. Given that the chances of them finding a new home are the same as me flying to the moon tomorrow morning for breakfast, it's going to be a sad fate either way.

It would be weird though if they do retire the A380s quietly without so much of a farewell, given how much fanfare the A380 received when Thai got them. Even Air France did the most of what they could in a time of a pandemic, with farewell videos and a final flight. But it seems that "A380s coming into service with great fanfare but leaving/retiring without ceremony" is becoming a common theme.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

TC957

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:25 am

I am hoping those A380's will get a new lease of life once Thailand opens up fully for tourism again. The Russians and Chinese will flock back there.

chonetsao

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:25 am

TC957 wrote:
I am hoping those A380's will get a new lease of life once Thailand opens up fully for tourism again. The Russians and Chinese will flock back there.

The Russians and Chinese in mass tourism sector normally take local airlines flying non-stop. Russians are normally using Russian charter airlines, and Chinese normally take the local scheduled airlines or Air Asia in sub USD$200-300 fares. All of which TG A380 can not compete with. I don't have exact figure, but pre-Covid TG's market share in Chinese (mainland) and Russian market to Thailand is abysmally low.

TG A380 could work for markets like HKG, ICN and Tokyo. But we all know HKG is not what it used to be and Tokyo is still fighting a chance for the summer Olympic without further delay.

jeffrey0032j

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am

TC957 wrote:

They have more than enough planes to do that than to use the A380s.

JerseyFlyer

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Suggestion that Thai will order 13 widebodies and 10 narrowbodies for 2025 delivery. To be included in a new restructuring plan due for submission on 2nd March.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402859

https://simpleflying.com/thai-airways-2 ... -aircraft/

bennett123

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:56 pm

Looking at the aircraft that they are selling;

1 x A300-600 lowish hours, but who wants a single A300
3 x A340-500 Hard to see any takers, possibly for parts
6 x A340-600 Possibly someone like Maleth, but probably for parts.
2 x A380 Hard to see any takers, possibly for parts

For some reason no dates given for last Major or C Check

2 x B737-400 Lowish hours, possible takers but no one obvious
6 x B777-200 Limited use as non ER. Probably for spares. I note that their other 2 B777-200 went for parting 5 years ago.
4 x B777-200ER. Might be of interest depending on cost.
6 x B777-300 Might of interest depending on cost.
10 x B747-400 A mixed batch, most high hours, but a few in the 80K Hours area. Might be of interest depending on cost.

IMO, most will be parted/scrapped and have little value.

The B737-400, B777-200ER, B777-300 and the B747-400 may be useful in the short term for PaxCargo. This will depend on condition and price. Thailand is not a good place to store aircraft.

I doubt that this lot will make much of a dent in their CAPEX programme.

x1234

Re: Thai Airways News and Discussion Thread

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 pm

The BKK-HKG/TPE/HND/NRT route has the most capacity as it flows over leisure/VFR/business traffic to North America.

mercure1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm

JerseyFlyer wrote:
Suggestion that Thai will order 13 widebodies and 10 narrowbodies for 2025 delivery. To be included in a new restructuring plan due for submission on 2nd March.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402859

https://simpleflying.com/thai-airways-2 ... -aircraft/

TG President denies any such plans.

“There is a rumour that THAI would submit a plan to buy new planes along with the company’s business rehabilitation plan to the Central Bankruptcy Court on March 2, but this is not true,” the acting president said. “Before entering the rehabilitation process, THAI already had a plan to decommission old planes that required high maintenance cost and had low fuel efficiency,” he continued. Furthermore, Mr Treenuchagron added that the company remains committed to downsizing its fleet over the next five years.

https://simpleflying.com/thai-airways-order-denial/
mercure f-wtcc

Nimda

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Summary of TG restructuring plan from various Thai sources.

-The total number of employees will be reduced to about 9000-11000 by the end of this year compared to 19000-21000 in 2020. However, They will start recruiting again to reach the target of 13000-1500 in 2025.
-Travel privilege for current employees will be getting cut down. No ticket offer for former employees and family member of deceased employees anymore. (except who participated in their MSP program)
-Merging some divisions and downgrading the levels of management for employees from 8 to 5 to reduce redundancy. Also reducing the number of executives from 740 to 500.
-Their staff training center building (located on Vibhavadi road, close to DMK) was also put up for sale to increase liquidity.

https://www.thansettakij.com/content/business/469284
https://brandinside.asia/thai-airways-c ... privilege/
https://www.prachachat.net/tourism/news-616873
https://www.matichon.co.th/economy/news_2591173

bennett123

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 pm

R reading my post two days ago, I should add the following;

Some of these aircraft have been parked for a long time.

The A300 has been at DMK since 2013, and the A340's since 2012-2015. Given the hot damp climate in that part of the world, it is hard to come to any other conclusion than coke cans.

The B737-400 will probably be the same as although they have only been stored since 2017-2018, the climate will not have helped. Furthermore, they are passenger not freight. Conversion would result in further cost/delay.

Having been stored since 2019-2020, the B747 and B777 may be of interest to someone.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:30 am

Reports Thai will exit its stake in Nok.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ing-centre

Thai stake was diluted in 2020 down to mere 13% after it failed to participate in capital raise at Nok.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LAXintl

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Thai reported its 2020 total revenues down 73.8% to US$1.6 billion, with a record net loss of $4.7 billion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... vamp-looms

mercure1
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:03 pm

Thai says as part of restructuring will need 50billin baht (US$1.65bil) capital infusion to remain a going concern. Restructuring plan scheduled to be presented this week to court.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ebt-revamp
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Details of proposed business plan coming out

o Reduce fleet from 102 to 86 frames through 2025 compromising 5 aircraft types
o Full-time employees reduced from 27,944 as it stood in 2019 to between 13,000 - 15,000.
o Raise 50 billion baht ($1.65 billion) of working capital to operate the company for the next two years.
o Banks asked to give 3-year concessions on repayment without any write-offs.
o Seeks to attain a stable state of profitability by 2025

Creditors meeting is scheduled for May 12 and May 19 to consider and vote on the plan.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Transp ... le-by-2025
https://www.reuters.com/article/thai-ai ... SL2N2L00GX
Last edited by LAXintl on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC957

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:49 pm

5 Aircraft types ?...So A320 for ThaiSmile, the 77W, 787-8/9, A359 and ??? Seems either something is staying or something getting ordered for 2025.

filipinoavgeek

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:00 pm

TC957 wrote:
5 Aircraft types ?...So A320 for ThaiSmile, the 77W, 787-8/9, A359 and ??? Seems either something is staying or something getting ordered for 2025.

Any hope of the A380s staying after all or is that unlikely?
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

mercure1
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:50 pm

I see they posted some more details on their website

Vision:
"A Private High-Quality Full-Service Carrier with a Strong Thai Brand, connecting Thailand to the World and consistently generating a sustainable profit margin."

The vision will be built around four pillars:

1. Being the preferred carrier for travel to and from Thailand tailored to the ability to pay of our core customer segments. This will include redesigning our product to deliver a high quality experience but at a lower cost than today, and unbundling the fares that we offer so that customers can access cheaper basic fares and add in ancillary purchases based on individual willingness to pay (e.g., seat selection, baggage)

2. Commercial excellence to optimize flight yields and non-flight revenue. This will include moving to a more focused network to ensure we only fly to destinations that are profitable, investing in digital to grow our online sales and boost our revenues through an improved sales experience for customers, rebuilding and retraining our commercial teams to adopt world class systems and ways of working

3. Cost competitiveness, outperforming our regional peers. This will include restructuring and right-sizing the organization; as a result we expect our people costs to drop by ~50%, implementing lease and fleet changes, reducing end to end our third party costs through rebuilding our procurement team and actively renegotiating contracts, optimising of all of our Business Units including through operational excellence interventions

4. Market leading operating and safety performance, including extensive redesign of processes and operating systems.
These pillars will be underpinned by an extensive capability development across THAI, a concerted effort to change the culture and mindsets of the organization, adoption of new and modern processes, systems and ways of working, adoption of a new set of KPIs and incentives matched to the delivery of the restructuring plan, , and a revised governance process based on world-class private sector practices to ensure full transparency, effective oversight and independence.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/news/ ... -plan.page
mercure f-wtcc

chonetsao

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:23 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
TC957 wrote:

Unlikely. The same source said the fleet would be 86 strong.

Currently they have
8 B788/789
20+2 B77W
12 A359
So that is 42 in total.

To mark up 86 with 2 more fleet type, it can't be A380. As there would be 44 air frames need to be located.

If we count 20 Thai Smiles A320, then that is 24 in another fleet type. TG only has 15 A330 and 6 A380, neither is able to mark up the fleet number goal without significant new orders.

That makes me wondering if a new order rumour is true after all. Otherwise how TG is going to have 86 aircrafts in only 5 fleet types?

TC957

Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:10 pm

Thailand's tourism officials are pressing the Government to reopen the country from July. Recovery could be quite swift and I hope TG will be ready.

NZ321

Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:54 am

chonetsao wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
TC957 wrote:

Currently they have
8 B788/789
20+2 B77W
12 A359
So that is 42 in total.

To mark up 86 with 2 more fleet type, it can't be A380. As there would be 44 air frames need to be located.

If we count 20 Thai Smiles A320, then that is 24 in another fleet type. TG only has 15 A330 and 6 A380, neither is able to mark up the fleet number goal without significant new orders.

That makes me wondering if a new order rumour is true after all. Otherwise how TG is going to have 86 aircrafts in only 5 fleet types?

The above is incorrect. Thai have 14 77W with 2 more coming. There were also 6 773 - but these are now listed as retired! Loved those birds. :)
Plane mad!

chonetsao

Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:44 am

NZ321 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

Currently they have
8 B788/789
20+2 B77W
12 A359
So that is 42 in total.

The above is incorrect. Thai have 14 77W with 2 more coming. There were also 6 773 - but these are now listed as retired! Loved those birds. :)

Thanks. So that is 6 more aircrafts on top of 44 are missing. How TG is going to find the 50 planes (or 30 is count the Thai Smiles) in one or two fleet types?

I still don't buy it if TG is saying they are not adding any new planes. Maybe they mean they won't buy newly made planes but would be open for second hand (like the rumoured Norwegian B787s)?

TC957

Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Thai have 3 more 77W coming, not 2. But the 86 number quoted is still strange if they are allegedly not ordering nothing new and supposed to withdrawing what they say there are.
Keeping the A333 would surely makes sense to serve their high frequency domestic trunk routes to HKT & CNX plus many of the regional services.
To get anywhere near to 86, I forsee an A321LR order coming.

NZ321

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:40 pm

77W (14+3) = 17
359 = 12
788 (6) + 789 (2) = 8

Something is wrong with the number or something is coming....
Plane mad!

chonetsao

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:17 pm

TC957 wrote:
Keeping the A333 would surely makes sense to serve their high frequency domestic trunk routes to HKT & CNX plus many of the regional services.
To get anywhere near to 86, I forsee an A321LR order coming.

I too believe TG will keep the A330.

But there are still shortage of frames to make up 86. 35 existing and incoming planes, plus 20 Thai Smiles A320 and 15 A330, that is 70. An order of 16 A321s seems to be too small of an order and TG denied they are looking for new planes. They also said 5 fleet types. A320 + A330 + A350 + B77W + B787 is exactly 5. Thus I would like to believe the 16 newish planes would be from the existing type.

If we discount Thai Smile A320, and consider 5 fleet types and 86 plane for Thai mainline. Then an order of 36 seems to be too large for TG in current form. Although one can argue B788 and B789 are 2 separate fleet types.

Based on above mentioned, my personal feeling and expectation is TG may be adding second hand A330 or B788/789. My bet is on B787. Maybe 4-6 B788 and 10-12 B789?

PlanesAtPaine

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 am

TC957 wrote:
Thai have 3 more 77W coming, not 2.

I'm not so sure at this point.

WE866 1683/66587 HS-TTA is fully painted and outfitted in Everett.

WE867 1687/66588 HS-TTB is fully painted and outfitted in Everett.

WE868 1690/66586 HS-TTC was brought into paint and had the tail painted white, fuselage left green, engines removed and taken to runway 11/29 for storage. Thai identifiers were removed and the frame is not reported on any public database.

If anyone has more information I'd love to hear, but to me it looks like BOC needs a new buyer.

filipinoavgeek

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:57 am

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/t ... 68.article
Not sure if these are the same two A380s that Thai was reportedly trying to sell a while back, but in any case it's not looking good for TG's A380 fleet and any hopes of them returning.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

NZ321

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:11 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/thai-airways-tests-market-appetite-for-sale-of-a380-pair/142868.article
Not sure if these are the same two A380s that Thai was reportedly trying to sell a while back, but in any case it's not looking good for TG's A380 fleet and any hopes of them returning.

I'm not so sure I share your pessimism, completely - they've only offered 2 for sale - tells me they think they can utilise the other four. Perhaps FRA or LHR to BKK and BKK to NRT, ICN or SYD with 1 back-up / mx. However, I seriously doubt any airlines will take the bate within 2 weeks given the present predicament and the reconfig costs... will surely be interesting to see and to finally understand the proposed fleet composition.
Plane mad!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos