Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
TC957
Posts: 4009
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:52 pm

Shame Iran's airlines can't go shopping at TG.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways ... 747-fleet/

So these planes have been put up for sale:

All B744s
All B772s (non-ER)
All B773s
All A345s
All A346s

Two B734s and one A306 were already up for sale.

One of the A359 or the B788/9 should also be withdrawn from the fleet, and the A388s retired early.

The fleet would then consist of:

20 A320s (WE) (5 owned, 15 leased)
15 A333s (all owned)
6 B772(ER) (all owned)
10 B77W (4 owned, 6 leased - only 2 were directly ordered by TG; the other 8 were leased, with 2 lease buyouts among the 8 so far).
Either 12 A359s (5 owned, 7 leased) or 8 B788/B789 (all leased).

Dramatically decreased airline? Yes, but tough decisions have to be made. The A21N might make sense at TG/WE for some routes.

As for European routes, pre-COVID, their destinations were: ARN, BRU, CDG, CPH, FCO, FRA, LHR, MUC, MXP, OSL, VIE, and ZRH. Which ones could be permanently cut in favor of a codeshare with another airline?
 
lalib
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Is TG currently flying any international routes?

Devastating.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:59 pm

In my opinion

TG should:
Convert all owned A333 and B77W to freighter
Order extra B788/789/A359/A35K as well as A321XLR
Get 2nd A380 from other airline (LH/BA/MH)

A321XLR can be used for 2nd India/China/Japan/Oceania city

B788 can be used to start new Europe destination like TLV/ATH/MAN/MAD/BCN/AMS/DUS/BER

And A359 can be used for Europe and west coast airport like YVR/SEA/LAX/SFO
 
tso310
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:37 pm

lalib wrote:
Is TG currently flying any international routes?
.

TG916/917 BKK-LHR-BKK operates on a Sunday. It is a repatriation flight primarily for Thai nationals although non Thais can use it. The BKK-LHR can be booked by anyone. When my wife flew on this repat flight in Sept the fare had to be paid direct to Thai's London bank account.
The flight is operated by an A350-900 with 255 in economy and 5 in business class. There is no crew layover in London so that is where the other business class seats have gone. The IFE has not been operating on this flight either and the food wasn't very good.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7670
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:24 am

chunhimlai wrote:
In my opinion

TG should:
Convert all owned A333 and B77W to freighter
Order extra B788/789/A359/A35K as well as A321XLR
Get 2nd A380 from other airline (LH/BA/MH)

A321XLR can be used for 2nd India/China/Japan/Oceania city

B788 can be used to start new Europe destination like TLV/ATH/MAN/MAD/BCN/AMS/DUS/BER

And A359 can be used for Europe and west coast airport like YVR/SEA/LAX/SFO


Sounds like a great way to lose money.
 
Antarius
Posts: 3411
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:37 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:
In my opinion

TG should:
Convert all owned A333 and B77W to freighter
Order extra B788/789/A359/A35K as well as A321XLR
Get 2nd A380 from other airline (LH/BA/MH)

A321XLR can be used for 2nd India/China/Japan/Oceania city

B788 can be used to start new Europe destination like TLV/ATH/MAN/MAD/BCN/AMS/DUS/BER

And A359 can be used for Europe and west coast airport like YVR/SEA/LAX/SFO


Sounds like a great way to lose money.


No doubt

They should also merge BKK and DMK and build one giant airport in the space between them.

Just preempting the next suggestion that will be coming soon. ;)
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:59 am

Antarius wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:
In my opinion

TG should:
Convert all owned A333 and B77W to freighter
Order extra B788/789/A359/A35K as well as A321XLR
Get 2nd A380 from other airline (LH/BA/MH)

A321XLR can be used for 2nd India/China/Japan/Oceania city

B788 can be used to start new Europe destination like TLV/ATH/MAN/MAD/BCN/AMS/DUS/BER

And A359 can be used for Europe and west coast airport like YVR/SEA/LAX/SFO


Sounds like a great way to lose money.


No doubt

They should also merge BKK and DMK and build one giant airport in the space between them.

Just preempting the next suggestion that will be coming soon. ;)


They are building a giant airport in utapao
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:50 am

Personally:
-Obtain AA's retired A330-200 fleet (all 15 of them) and use it to replace the leased 787-8, 787-9 and 777-200ER fleet.
-Order the A320 and A321NEO into the fleet to be used on regional routes and in the process, move everything to WE's AOC and liquidate TG.
-Reconfigure some aircraft to include Premium Economy(W), especially the A359, 77W.
-Reconfigure the A380 to have only J, W, and Y in a 500+ seater config to be used on the highest density routes(eg. NRT, KIX, PEK, PVG, ICN, SYD).
 
lalib
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:58 pm

I've been flying TG for years in J and Y.

TG is the only Asian airline that flies almost daily pre covid to 3 major cities in Pakistan, khi, isb and lhe.

Their restructuring may put a hamper on things or at least delay resuming of flights when things start getting normal.

What I'm trying to say is we want airlines like SQ and CX back!

BA and VS recently started isb and lhe.
 
User avatar
Antaras
Posts: 1271
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:40 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Personally:
-Obtain AA's retired A330-200 fleet (all 15 of them) and use it to replace the leased 787-8, 787-9 and 777-200ER fleet.
-Order the A320 and A321NEO into the fleet to be used on regional routes and in the process, move everything to WE's AOC and liquidate TG.
-Reconfigure some aircraft to include Premium Economy(W), especially the A359, 77W.
-Reconfigure the A380 to have only J, W, and Y in a 500+ seater config to be used on the highest density routes(eg. NRT, KIX, PEK, PVG, ICN, SYD).

- No. Why using old A332 to replace the B787s (I agree about replacing the B772), but in fact the saved operating cost of the 787s outweight the leasing fee, so TG MUST keep the 787s.
- Order new toys is not a good choice for any carriers these days, especially with financially weak carrier such as. And why using WE's AOC?
- The A380 should go as soon as possible. Utilize the 773/77W before having some money to order the B777X and the A320/321neo.
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:
 
User avatar
mercure1
Topic Author
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Thai Airways reported a net loss of 21.5 billion baht (US$712 million) for the three months to September 30, 2020.
The company's current liabilities exceeded assets by 274 billion baht.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... loss-soars
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:10 pm

In a court filing, Thai expects to submit its business rehabilitation plan to its creditors in January 2020.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:15 am

In other news...

Former TG chairman Wallop Bhukkanasut sentenced to two years in jail on charges of corruption and misconduct related to abuse of authority ordering airline staff to change the stated weight of his luggage so he could evade charges for the excess weight. He also stands accused of accepting gifts from private firms without reporting them.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ss-baggage
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
mercure1
Topic Author
Posts: 5104
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Now TG will face additional judicial inquiries from corruption regulators over alleged irregularities in the carrier’s finances.
Reportedly major irregularities were found in various items, including air ticket sales, overtime payments to some staff and the purchase of Airbus planes in 2003-2004.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... w-evidence
mercure f-wtcc
 
Antarius
Posts: 3411
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:17 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Now TG will face additional judicial inquiries from corruption regulators over alleged irregularities in the carrier’s finances.
Reportedly major irregularities were found in various items, including air ticket sales, overtime payments to some staff and the purchase of Airbus planes in 2003-2004.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... w-evidence


What a shock that the a345 purchase is being questioned.... :P
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:49 am

Apparently, TG is receiving 3 new leased 77Ws, with the 1st of these 3 now entering the paintshop.
These units will receive an internal config of "77V" and will be configured 8F/40J/255Y.

A leaked image of the F cabin can be seen here, and it looks similar to BA's latest F hard product with doors.
Image
 
behramjee
Posts: 5142
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:44 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Apparently, TG is receiving 3 new leased 77Ws, with the 1st of these 3 now entering the paintshop.
These units will receive an internal config of "77V" and will be configured 8F/40J/255Y.

A leaked image of the F cabin can be seen here, and it looks similar to BA's latest F hard product with doors.
Image


so are these 3 B77Ws ex BA birds or of another airline as I dont recall such a cabin configuration for any airline
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11391
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:47 pm

behramjee wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Apparently, TG is receiving 3 new leased 77Ws, with the 1st of these 3 now entering the paintshop.
These units will receive an internal config of "77V" and will be configured 8F/40J/255Y.

A leaked image of the F cabin can be seen here, and it looks similar to BA's latest F hard product with doors.
Image


so are these 3 B77Ws ex BA birds or of another airline as I dont recall such a cabin configuration for any airline

They are brand new planes.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5221
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Antaras wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Personally:
-Obtain AA's retired A330-200 fleet (all 15 of them) and use it to replace the leased 787-8, 787-9 and 777-200ER fleet.
-Order the A320 and A321NEO into the fleet to be used on regional routes and in the process, move everything to WE's AOC and liquidate TG.
-Reconfigure some aircraft to include Premium Economy(W), especially the A359, 77W.
-Reconfigure the A380 to have only J, W, and Y in a 500+ seater config to be used on the highest density routes(eg. NRT, KIX, PEK, PVG, ICN, SYD).

- No. Why using old A332 to replace the B787s (I agree about replacing the B772), but in fact the saved operating cost of the 787s outweight the leasing fee, so TG MUST keep the 787s.


That's a massive assumption. A330s are dirt cheap. Fuel costs are low, so no way can a 787 make up the difference in lease cost through lower operating costs.


Antaras wrote:
- Order new toys is not a good choice for any carriers these days, especially with financially weak carrier such as.


They don't have enough 787s to do the job, and keeping the 787 means running a split fleet with all the added costs that entails (or building a bigger fleet of 787s, which would indeed be a matter of ordering new toys).


Polot wrote:
behramjee wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Apparently, TG is receiving 3 new leased 77Ws, with the 1st of these 3 now entering the paintshop.
These units will receive an internal config of "77V" and will be configured 8F/40J/255Y.

A leaked image of the F cabin can be seen here, and it looks similar to BA's latest F hard product with doors.
Image


so are these 3 B77Ws ex BA birds or of another airline as I dont recall such a cabin configuration for any airline

They are brand new planes.


So how are these going to fit into the grand scheme of things? Replacing older types (The retired 747 and 777-300A come to mind)? Replacing more expensive existing 777-300ER leases?
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 am

Polot wrote:
behramjee wrote:

so are these 3 B77Ws ex BA birds or of another airline as I dont recall such a cabin configuration for any airline

They are brand new planes.


So how are these going to fit into the grand scheme of things? Replacing older types (The retired 747 and 777-300A come to mind)? Replacing more expensive existing 777-300ER leases?[/quote]

Going to assume that these new 77Ws would be used to replace the 744 on ZRH, SYD and HND.
 
JeremyXWB
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:37 am

What is it with TG and their different configurations in their premium cabins? It's almost as if they want to maintain product inconsistency... :?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4443
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:38 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
Apparently, TG is receiving 3 new leased 77Ws, with the 1st of these 3 now entering the paintshop.
These units will receive an internal config of "77V" and will be configured 8F/40J/255Y.

A leaked image of the F cabin can be seen here, and it looks similar to BA's latest F hard product with doors.
Image

Looks like you got some credit from One Mile At A Time for this https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways-new-777/

I hope it proves true. They could definitely use a new product, and hopefully it's one piece of the puzzle to getting a fresh start...although a lot of carriers will be looking for fresh starts in the coming years. Perhaps not quite as grand as other F products in the region, but they should make up for it with the soft product.
 
na
Posts: 9823
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 am

Hardly understandable. A company with too little money and too many widebodies takes three new ones. On top of that, not of the newest, most efficient type, no, of an outgoing, aging model. Leased, ok. But we all know that late-built widebodies don't have long lives.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11391
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:00 pm

na wrote:
Hardly understandable. A company with too little money and too many widebodies takes three new ones. On top of that, not of the newest, most efficient type, no, of an outgoing, aging model. Leased, ok. But we all know that late-built widebodies don't have long lives.

Since these are an aging model the lessor no doubt ordered them specifically for TG pre pandemic(ie it was not a speculative order by the lessor that they later placed with TG), and the contract probably had very unfavorable escape clauses for obvious reasons. So the choices for TG are continue to take the leases or pay a boat load of penalties to get out of them. In the end it is likely cheaper for TG to take them, especially as they help TG eliminate a fleet type (the 747).
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Yes its a little weird and obviously bad timing TG taking on new expensive aircraft especially as it is deficient on payments on other aircraft, but this BOC Aviation deal dates back to happier times in late 2018.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3492
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:11 am

Two Thai Airways A380s are now planned to be sold. HS-TUE and HS-TUF.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... rbus-a380s
 
NZ321
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:07 am

Ishrion wrote:
Two Thai Airways A380s are now planned to be sold. HS-TUE and HS-TUF.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... rbus-a380s


I bet airlines are queuing up for these aircraft ! In all honesty, what does this mean? Sold for scrap value maybe, but I can't see anybody lining up for A380s any time in the near future. MH have had absolutely no luck attracting interest in their A380 fleet - also powered by RR engines.
Plane mad!
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:06 am

TG asks court for more time to submit rehabilitation plan. Carrier was due to submit documents to court on January 2nd.

https://www.aerotime.aero/26797-Thai-Ai ... ation-plan

Of course like much of the world things are turning for the worse in Thailand as COVID infections rise. Government last week announced a ban on food and drink on domestic flights from the new year.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:46 pm

Thai Airways sold a 15.5% stake in Bangkok Aviation Fuel Services (BAFS) generating US$90 million.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... lier-stake
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
bennett123
Posts: 10696
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:51 pm

No surprise that the buyer is also linked to the Thai Government.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:59 pm

Thai Airways granted a further extension for the submission of its business rehabilitation plan. The new due date is March 2nd..
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:07 pm

Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:30 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.


This is very interesting; I take it they will use the 787s to replace the 777 aircraft being withdrawn, or possibly some A350s on leases which they may not renew. Hard to understand the overall fleet strategy as always. Have to say, though, the 789 config on Thai is awesome. I think it works better than the regular 77W config, A350 and the A380. If they can do the same thing with these birds they are on to a winner. Lines up with their new 77W config as well.
Plane mad!
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:19 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.

Hainan has GE engines on their 787s.
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:31 am

jeffrey0032j wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.

Hainan has GE engines on their 787s.

Going to assume that TG would be taking up either 2ndhand Norwegian 787 or NTU frames
 
Nimda
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:05 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:34 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.

A little bit curious about the details of pilots. According to the news, The number of 905 pilots consist of
-150 for A350s
-150 for B777s
-605 for B787s

Both A380s and A330s seem to be left out there. For A380s I'm gonna assume they will be in long-term storage for a while, but what about A330s? Will they get rid of them or make it into WE's regional fleet?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11391
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:23 pm

Nimda wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.

A little bit curious about the details of pilots. According to the news, The number of 905 pilots consist of
-150 for A350s
-150 for B777s
-605 for B787s

Both A380s and A330s seem to be left out there. For A380s I'm gonna assume they will be in long-term storage for a while, but what about A330s? Will they get rid of them or make it into WE's regional fleet?

605 787 pilots versus 150 A350 is a shocking difference. Current fleet size is 8 787 and 12 A350. Even if TG picks up 10 more 787s that’s still only 6 more frames than the A350 fleet.
 
User avatar
Antaras
Posts: 1271
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:54 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Good move. The 787 has one of the most suitable sizes and performance for the Covid-era.
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:
 
chonetsao
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:26 pm

Nimda wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.

A little bit curious about the details of pilots. According to the news, The number of 905 pilots consist of
-150 for A350s
-150 for B777s
-605 for B787s

Both A380s and A330s seem to be left out there. For A380s I'm gonna assume they will be in long-term storage for a while, but what about A330s? Will they get rid of them or make it into WE's regional fleet?


My guess is A380 will be stored if not being sold for scrap. By the anticipated return to normal in 2024-2025 (I think IATA said that, vaguely remembers from the news. Please correct me if I am wrong), all A380s would be too expensive to be returned to service. So it is good to say that A380 is toasted in TG like those A345s.

A330s may find another way to return to live should the ASEAN and north Asia regional growth is returned, and if Air Asia X is quitting for good, then TG may find the A330s useful in medium haul flying once the tourists returned to Thailand. WE is a good idea. Otherwise I think it is good to say that the A330 may leave sooner.

However, being TG and the ever changing new directions every day, I am sceptical about the B787 news. I will believe it when I see the new coming B787s parked in BKK in TG colours. Otherwise I will treat it as a reliable rumour. That being said, I think your assessment on A380 and A330 is as good as anyone's best educated guess. TG A380 is definitely done unless the German tourist really loves it so much to make it the de facto Munich shuttle plane. Who knows? Maybe A330 is not as secure as it seems compared to A380. Amazing Thailand, long live Thai!
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:26 am

Nimda wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Some new news regarding TG's plans:

They are now reducing the number of pilots from 1400 to 905, and also plans to acquire 9-10 Trent-1000 powered Boeing 787 (Unspecified variant)

Source (in Thai): https://www.isranews.org/article/israne ... ZdVz0jHX6U

Gonna assume that these 10 787 would be secondhand from Norwegian or HNA Group airlines.

A little bit curious about the details of pilots. According to the news, The number of 905 pilots consist of
-150 for A350s
-150 for B777s
-605 for B787s

Both A380s and A330s seem to be left out there. For A380s I'm gonna assume they will be in long-term storage for a while, but what about A330s? Will they get rid of them or make it into WE's regional fleet?


Assuming that they will move the A330 fleet to WE, they might reconfigure the entire A333 fleet to config "33R", the one with Thompson Vantage XL business class seats and touchscreen PTVs, and use it on routes like PUS, NGO, CGK, MNL, etc.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25180
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:18 pm

A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Aseem747
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:34 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 pm

LAXintl wrote:
A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan

When will the 777-200ER be retired? 777-200ER, A350-900 and 787 are the only Thai planes I see flying on Flight Radar mostly.
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:40 am

Aseem747 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan

When will the 777-200ER be retired? 777-200ER, A350-900 and 787 are the only Thai planes I see flying on Flight Radar mostly.

IIRC the 77E was apparently put up for sale, but they are still utilized.
 
chonetsao
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:55 pm

I am glad TG has some sort of vision for future. Yet I am getting more confused.

TG owns most of its A330 and they were all around 11-12 years old if the information from this thread is correct. Why would TG get rid of them now? Would it be possible that TG is transferring its A330 to ThaiSmile or Nok to take over bulk of medium haul regional flying?

Also could anyone confirm TG is getting B789s rather than a combination of B788 and B789? 2 B788 would definitely be the oddball in new TG simplified fleet.
 
ewt340
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:34 pm

chonetsao wrote:
I am glad TG has some sort of vision for future. Yet I am getting more confused.

TG owns most of its A330 and they were all around 11-12 years old if the information from this thread is correct. Why would TG get rid of them now? Would it be possible that TG is transferring its A330 to ThaiSmile or Nok to take over bulk of medium haul regional flying?

Also could anyone confirm TG is getting B789s rather than a combination of B788 and B789? 2 B788 would definitely be the oddball in new TG simplified fleet.


That might be the reason why they are getting rid of A330. They need Capital to stays afloat.

Besides, B787 and A350 are next gen aircraft with low fuel burn, so it would be weird to retire those.

Their B777-300ER are young too, and they still got few orders unfulfilled.

This leave B747, B777-200, B777-300, A330-200, A330-300 and A380 as the old dinosaurs in their fleet.
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:48 pm

TheEuphorian wrote:
Aseem747 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan

When will the 777-200ER be retired? 777-200ER, A350-900 and 787 are the only Thai planes I see flying on Flight Radar mostly.

IIRC the 77E was apparently put up for sale, but they are still utilized.

Well considering they just managed to sell a 747BCF that was sitting near to the sea at UTP for over 5 years, expect the sale process to be slow. They still have a 734 that has been sitting next to the hangar at BKK for the past few years.
 
filipinoavgeek
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:39 am

LAXintl wrote:
A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan


So am I reading this right, TG's A380s are going bye bye? Less than 10 years after acquiring them?
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:26 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
A bit more news.

Indeed 3 fleet types - A330, A380 and B747 will be removed and shed 395 pilots as part of the rehabilitation plan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... ation-plan


So am I reading this right, TG's A380s are going bye bye? Less than 10 years after acquiring them?


Most probably; I kind of expected that the A380 and 747 fleet to be gone, but removing the A330 is just bizzare in general, unless they are moving the A330 fleet to WE.
 
filipinoavgeek
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 am

Re: Updated: Thai Airways enters Bankruptcy Protection

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:26 am

If TG's A380s are truly gone for good, it would be a huge personal blow to me. My first and only flights on the A380 were with TG back in 2013, when the planes were still very new. I had the chance to fly them again in 2019 but deferred owing to work commitments. Less than a year later, the pandemic began and the planes were grounded, and now it looks like my dream of flying with them again to make up for that is now dead. Had I known this was all going to happen I probably would have taken the chance. It's looking less and less likely I'll ever get to fly on an A380 again especially now that airlines left and right are starting to retire them.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos