Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mcdu
Topic Author

Southwest FA in hot water for posting passenger photo and negative comments

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 am

A Southwest FA allowed his political views to affect his customer service. Quickly deletes his identity and comments.

This is pretty poor situational awareness by a Southwest employee.

https://apple.news/ARM7aJ_fJTrGgnAhKtxJqJA

piedmontf284000

Re: Southwest FA in hot water for posting passenger photo and negative comments

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 am

Southwest responded with the usual drivel... "We aim to provide outstanding service to all who travel with us and regret if we missed the mark. We appreciate you sharing your feedback.'' This was in response to the passenger who reported the incident and provided video. This flight attendant treated a passenger with disrespect because he hates the man's shirt and our president. Sadly nothing will happen to the flight attendant. I can only imagine the recourse of action Southwest would have taken had this person been wearing an "Abolish ICE" or "Black Lives Matter" T-Shirt and a flight attendant posted inappropriate material on their social media account regarding that person. Different rules apply for different people/situations.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:11 am

For many, the controversial views and policies of the current President of the USA, Donald Trump, and those that support him are so deeply offensive to them they are more willing to express their objections to him. The F/A involved should be disciplined if the only reason for their poor service to that customer was over what was on their T-shirt. If I were a passenger and saw someone with such a shirt, I wouldn't express my objections to it, it is freedom of speech and for sure I don't want to get my flight disrupted if an argument escalated.

TheOldDude

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:11 am

Unfortunately, employees are sometimes caught up in the demonization of people for their political views. Such demonization is unprofessional at best and leads to unpleasant passenger experiences. Whatever the political view, every passenger deserves to be treated with respect. This FA, and any like them on any side of the political equation, should consider whether their career is appropriate for them. Southwest should as well.

JetBuddy

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:22 am

Completely unprofessional.

Hopefully the employee gets reprimanded.

mikegigs

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:24 am

I think a quote from a comment on the Facebook post detailed in the article sums up the situation best:

"I’m the farthest thing from a Trump supporter, but I am a 'people' supporter,'' one poster said. "This is clearly unacceptable. Southwest Airlines, I love a lot of Trump supporters even though I don’t agree with them and frankly this kind of behavior from your FA is what’s making civil discussion in our country all but a memory. If you think it is OK for your (employee) to give lesser treatment to someone he disagrees with, I hope you’ll find it OK when I take my business to an airline I agree with."

Now, I'm not into boycotting a company for a single person's actions, but I think this poster hit the nail on the head about the behavior of the FA.

I agree with those who say it doesn't matter what shirt he was wearing or what the political beliefs of either of the parties are, but the fact that the FA took a picture of a passenger without them knowing and then posted it on social media is unacceptable. It's rude to do that to anybody on the street, let alone one of your customers on a flight.
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

TMccrury

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:42 am

We all have different political views and in our nation, we are allowed to promote those views through freedom of speech. What folks fail to realize is, there are consequences to our actions and what we say. The man had the right to wear his shirt. The employee has the right to express his displeasure in the shirt. However, the employee chose to cross lines when he didn't render stellar service in the performance of his work, to a man who had paid for that service, simply because he disagreed with the shirt he was wearing. Do, I think he needs to be fired? No. I think he needs to be given good civics lesson and taught that as Americans we have a right to express ourselves but that doesn't mean he can not perform his work just because he don't like the man's shirt. I see a lot of things that I don't agree with but I'm still civil to those folks. I treat them politely and with courtesy. I will stop here.

MIflyer12

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:48 am

TMccrury wrote:
We all have different political views and in our nation, we are allowed to promote those views through freedom of speech. What folks fail to realize is, there are consequences to our actions and what we say. The man had the right to wear his shirt. The employee has the right to express his displeasure in the shirt.

You don't seem to recognize limitations of the 1st amendment. Yes, it protects political speech - but it can't be invoked in employment. And U.S. carrier can - and may - insist political views are not aired at work. Quality of service delivery doesn't need to come into play here.

Coexstud

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:59 am

I hope not they didn’t fire the fo who was using obscenities on the intercom by accident did they negotiate away with a hand slap if afasaid queer etc hate they be termed immediately

ricport

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:16 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TMccrury wrote:
We all have different political views and in our nation, we are allowed to promote those views through freedom of speech. What folks fail to realize is, there are consequences to our actions and what we say. The man had the right to wear his shirt. The employee has the right to express his displeasure in the shirt.

You don't seem to recognize limitations of the 1st amendment. Yes, it protects political speech - but it can't be invoked in employment. And U.S. carrier can - and may - insist political views are not aired at work. Quality of service delivery doesn't need to come into play here.

It's not explained, but presumably, the FA made his remarks on his own time. The issue at hand is whether or not he should be disciplined for failing to do his job properly based on the pax's political views.

IMO, the employee should be disciplined & counseled. Everyone needs to remember that basically half of the country disagrees with your politics. If we're to survive as a nation, we need to find a way to put up with people whose views we don't agree with.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:33 pm

The FA should be fired and never be allowed to work in any customer-facing profession again, be it flight attendant or supermarket cashier. Clearly they are not equipped to deal with someone they do not agree 100% with.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

lightsaber

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:42 pm

ricport wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

It's not explained, but presumably, the FA made his remarks on his own time. The issue at hand is whether or not he should be disciplined for failing to do his job properly based on the pax's political views.

IMO, the employee should be disciplined & counseled. Everyone needs to remember that basically half of the country disagrees with your politics. If we're to survive as a nation, we need to find a way to put up with people whose views we don't agree with.

It is more a third one side. A third pay lip service, and a third are the other side.

If business and their front line employees cannot remain neutral, business will lose a third of their customers.

Politics has become emotion without logic. I miss an era where half my friends were on the other side of the political devide.

Do not bring work to social media.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

airplanenut

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:47 pm

ricport wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

It works like this: The passenger has the right to wear a shirt which expresses his opinion (let's ignore any issues of actual obscenities for now, it's a tangent). The employee has the *right* to say whatever he wants about the passenger on his own time. The company has the right to fire/discipline the employee for what he says. The government does not have the right to arrest or punish the employee for what he says.

In my own free time, I have the right to say something disparaging about my company, but even though it's my free time, my company can still punish me for it because I am representing them. If I take something from work (a picture of someone else, information about something that is confidential), then all the more so I'm violating company policies and can be disciplined for it. Unless I actually break a law (perhaps if I worked in the medical field and discussed something protected by HIPPA), the government can't infringe my right to say something, however dumb it may be. It would, of course, be much murkier if one made a statement on their own time that is unrelated to their job and got punished at work (such as a political endorsement, which is certainly protected as free speech as far as government limitations are concerned), but that's not the case being discussed here.
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

planecane

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

Exactly. Outside of work, the FA can react (with speech) however he wants if someone is in a Trump shirt. While "on the clock," no such right exists and you are bound by your employers policies.

TheOldDude

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:09 pm

planecane wrote:
Exactly. Outside of work, the FA can react (with speech) however he wants if someone is in a Trump shirt. While "on the clock," no such right exists and you are bound by your employers policies.

This raises the issue of social media policies. Companies have an interest in maintaining the brand and corporate ethics. Thus, the policies typically cover not only what is done on work time, but what is said on social media about the brand and how the company's code of ethics applies to social media. Does Southwest have such a policy? If so, how does it address this situation?

Aesma

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:09 pm

planecane wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

Can the employer ban the T-shirt ?

Surely there are some messages that would not make it on the plane, just like showing your boobs or genitalia is a no-no ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Bluewho

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 pm

I think the big problem here is you can’t post that you didn’t give them the same service because of their views. That’s a big NO NO and basically discrimination. Imagine if it was a post from someone saying oh I saw his rainbow shirt so I didn’t give him the best service, how well would that go over?

Aesma

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:15 pm

planecane wrote:
I've seen plenty of shirts worn by people espousing their liberal political beliefs.

Does someone wearing a Bernie Sanders shirt fall under your definition of "those types" that are looking for arguments? He's quite radical in his views and many of his supporters are as well.

It's not just a T-Shirt supporting someone here, it's a T-Shirt shouting at people to "suck it up".

Also, I've still not seen what the FA has done to the passenger in question ?

Also, I see that someone sent someone else a screenshot of facebook, so I'm going to assume it isn't a public facebook page but a private one.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

fanoftristars

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 pm

That we live in a country where Bernie Sanders is considered "radical". His views aren't much different than many of the first world nations of Europe.

And this is why I'm not a flight attendant. I have tremendous respect for anyone that can put up with 150 people on 2-3hr jaunts, many of whom are entitled a-holes. I don't think I'd last too many days on the job and would probably be fired for telling off some jerk who thinks he owns the plane 'cause he's a silver bedallion!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

cschleic

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Sad commentary on the state of our country that these kinds of things happen and are being discussed. Everything is becoming politicized, even commerce, which is a dangerous road, threatens a nation's stability and never ends well for society.

planecane

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Aesma wrote:
planecane wrote:
I've seen plenty of shirts worn by people espousing their liberal political beliefs.

Does someone wearing a Bernie Sanders shirt fall under your definition of "those types" that are looking for arguments? He's quite radical in his views and many of his supporters are as well.

It's not just a T-Shirt supporting someone here, it's a T-Shirt shouting at people to "suck it up".

Also, I see that someone sent someone else a screenshot of facebook, so I'm going to assume it isn't a public facebook page but a private one.

The shirt is a retort to the "not my president" stuff from the other end of the spectrum.

mcdu
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Aesma wrote:
planecane wrote:

According the article it was on the WN page and the FA posted he would not be giving this customer his best service as a result of his appearance and posted his photo. This is wrong on so many levels. While I personally don’t support the candidate the passenger was touting you don’t post pictures of passengers and brag about not giving them proper service. That is a foul of so many corporate rules.

What if this person had a body full of tattoos, piercings and covered in rainbow flag items. And a FA posted a photo a comment that they were not going to give that person proper service based on their attire?

You are in the service industry. You literally have to suck it up and provide service to someone you may not agree with politically because they are paying you to do so.

planecane

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
planecane wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Can the employer ban the T-shirt ?

Surely there are some messages that would not make it on the plane, just like showing your boobs or genitalia is a no-no ?

Yes, the employer can ban the T-shirt. However, to avoid a huge mess they would have to ban ALL political T-shirts. If they said that passengers can't wear offensive political shirts, who gets to decide what is offensive?

If a political shirt contains obscene language or depictions, it can be banned based on other dress code policies.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 pm

fanoftristars wrote:
That we live in a country where Bernie Sanders is considered "radical". His views aren't much different than many of the first world nations of Europe.

And this is why I'm not a flight attendant. I have tremendous respect for anyone that can put up with 150 people on 2-3hr jaunts, many of whom are entitled a-holes. I don't think I'd last too many days on the job and would probably be fired for telling off some jerk who thinks he owns the plane 'cause he's a silver bedallion!

Because he is radical. I see things in airports every day I don’t agree with, yet I don’t run my mouth about it. Sometimes you shake your head, but 99% of the time you just move on and do your job. I’m not paid to work for an airline to express my political views, I’m there to move passengers from point A to B.
From my cold, dead hands

RDUDDJI

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:09 pm

planecane wrote:

Specifically with respect to businesses, everything should come back to the brilliant response of Michael Jordan when asked why he didn't use his fame and platform to push his political beliefs. He responded that "republicans buy sneakers too." A business should be serving all customers to the best of their ability to attract as many customers as possible.

This. All these companies that go out and stake political positions only alienate potential customers. There are a handful of companies that I avoid because of their political positions. In some cases it's unavoidable for business and politics to mix (i.e. when companies lobby for things that help their business). However, when businesses start discriminating against people because they don't agree with their politics, that's unacceptable.

To be clear, in this case, I know this FA doesn't speak for WN.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

OneX123

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm

ricport wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
TMccrury wrote:

The reason I believe this is a fireable offense has nothing to do with the remarks made on the post. It's the fact that an employee of the airline while working as an FA on the flight, took a picture of a customer without his knowledge or consent and posted that picture to a social media forum.

When I am on an aircraft, I strongly oppose people (especially employees) taking my picture and posting it online without my consent.

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:39 pm

You can disagree with someone and still maintain a civil discourse with them, or in this case, still do your job which includes providing them service.

This is also why you shouldn't identify your employer on social media or talk about your job performance. There's always someone out there that's willing to dox you to your employer for something you said that they don't agree with.

eal46859

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:48 pm

He shouldn't have posted the pic on his facebook page and he should be spoken to about it. But how about the rest of us passengers agreeing not wear offensive outerwear? It's not like the guy didn't know his shirt would invoke at least some negative responses not just from a flight crew but from fellow travelers. When I first started flying, everyone wore nice clothes not tee-shirts, flip flops and shorts.
I still do.. let's have a dress code again!

usflyer msp

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Taking photos of customers and putting them on social media with negative comments is always a bad idea. Not thinking when using social media will be the death of so many careers :(

usdcaguy

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Sorry, the FA posted a pic from work and simply had to vent in a private post. It remains to be seen whether the service wasn’t outrageous. Employees have the right to post what they want, period, and unions should push back hard when employers say no.

Btw - why do all the crazy, stupid things happen on Southwest?

Cdydatzigs

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:25 pm

cschleic wrote:
Sad commentary on the state of our country that these kinds of things happen and are being discussed. Everything is becoming politicized, even commerce, which is a dangerous road, threatens a nation's stability and never ends well for society.

I'm not saying the FA's actions were right (they were not), but the passenger was clearly baiting everyone he came in contact with by wearing that shirt. His president's world is crumbling around him so this guy felt the shirt's message would make him feel better. I mean, what did he expect?

SXDFC

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:23 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

Have yah ever seen any of the videos of the people freaking out, smoking, and doing some crazy stuff on an Airbus with paper thin seats? They’re out there!

ASFlyer

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Sorry, the FA posted a pic from work and simply had to vent in a private post. It remains to be seen whether the service wasn’t outrageous. Employees have the right to post what they want, period, and unions should push back hard when employers say no.

No, actually, employees don’t have the right to post “whatever they want, period...”. If you are representing yourself as an employee of XYZ airlines and post something that represents your company in a negative light you can be fired. Terminations for such offenses have been upheld time and time again in a number of grievances and arbitrations. It’s really simple. Leave your employer off of social media. Don’t talk about where you work or reference you’re job on social media and you should be fine.

Oh, and I don’t know why this has to be said, but nothing on social media is ever private. No matter how private you think it is.

usflyer msp

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:48 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

Find Spirit and Frontier to be much more common, especially proportionate to their size.

OA412

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Please keep blatantly political posts out of the discussion. Those belong in non av. Thanks!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

cpd

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:23 pm

When on company time or in company uniform you must be apolitical and totally unbiased otherwise you are making potential trouble for your company.

usxguy

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:07 pm

A couple of misconceptions here:

#1. The First Amendment of the Constitution does NOT apply to private enterprise. The 1st only protects an individual against GOVERNMENT intervention or suppression.

#2. An employee of an airline posted a picture of a PASSENGER. This is a big no-no.

Unfortunately, I side with those against the FA. He should be fired. Regardless of his thoughts or my thoughts on 45. You do NOT violate the privacy of your passengers.
xx

airzona11

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Unacceptable of the FA, the lack of awareness should carry consequences.

usxguy wrote:
A couple of misconceptions here:

#1. The First Amendment of the Constitution does NOT apply to private enterprise. The 1st only protects an individual against GOVERNMENT intervention or suppression.

#2. An employee of an airline posted a picture of a PASSENGER. This is a big no-no.

Unfortunately, I side with those against the FA. He should be fired. Regardless of his thoughts or my thoughts on 45. You do NOT violate the privacy of your passengers.

Great summary, hopefully everyone reads.

kiowa

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Btw - why do all the crazy, stupid things happen on Southwest?[/quote]

And you only find mullets at Walmart. Same reason.

ODwyerPW

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:45 pm

meh.
learning never stops.

wjcandee

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 pm

TheOldDude wrote:
Unfortunately, employees are sometimes caught up in the demonization of people for their political views. Such demonization is unprofessional at best and leads to unpleasant passenger experiences. Whatever the political view, every passenger deserves to be treated with respect. This FA, and any like them on any side of the political equation, should consider whether their career is appropriate for them. Southwest should as well.

Let's see... what would the reaction have been if:

(1) He saw a family wearing those "Hope" shirts and posted that they did not get his best service? Even if they had the triumphant words "suck it up" on them.

(2) He saw a family in rainbow shirts coming from that wonderful event at Disney World and posted that they did not get his best service? Even if they said something like "We're here. Deal with it!" on them.

This is why people should disagree without demonizing. Somehow that person thought it was acceptable to mistreat a specific group of customers. Just like others in times gone by thought it was okay to mistreat many that are now in the mainstream and protected.

alfa164

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Cdydatzigs wrote:
I'm not saying the FA's actions were right (they were not), but the passenger was clearly baiting everyone he came in contact with by wearing that shirt. His president's world is crumbling around him so this guy felt the shirt's message would make him feel better. I mean, what did he expect?

:checkmark: It would be one thing if he had been wearing only "Trump 45" on the shirt, but with "Suck it up buttercup" added, it was clearly meant to be provocative.

Bluewho wrote:
I think the big problem here is you can’t post that you didn’t give them the same service because of their views. That’s a big NO NO and basically discrimination. Imagine if it was a post from someone saying oh I saw his rainbow shirt so I didn’t give him the best service, how well would that go over?

But what "service" did the guy with the offensive t-shirt miss out on? Did he get his bag of peanuts?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

cledaybuck

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:04 pm

alfa164 wrote:
But what "service" did the guy with the offensive t-shirt miss out on? Did he get his bag of peanuts?

I guarantee he did not get a bag of peanuts. :D
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

cledaybuck

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:05 pm

By the way, this quote from the end of the article is perfect in soooo many ways:
“You can’t just go out and lash out at people, just because that’s the way you feel, at your job. Even as a human being you shouldn’t do that. You should have a little bit of compassion.''
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

ASFlyer

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:38 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
By the way, this quote from the end of the article is perfect in soooo many ways:
“You can’t just go out and lash out at people, just because that’s the way you feel, at your job. Even as a human being you shouldn’t do that. You should have a little bit of compassion.''

I think compassion is the wrong word - just tolerance. Especially if you're working with the traveling public. If the shirt had been vulgar in any way it would have been one thing, but as offensive as some people may find this shirt, it's not vulgar in anyway. I don't think compassion is required or even warranted for someone that is simply trying to provoke people by wearing a shirt mean just for that reason - but tolerance is necessary if that's your job.

flyingclrs727

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:57 pm

While I would never wear any political T shirt when flying, it's really outrageous that the FA posted a picture of a passenger for any reason without the consent of that passenger.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos