Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MavyWavyATR
Topic Author

Could combi aircraft work for Bahamasair?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:46 am

Given the kind of environment they operate in as well as numerous things I've seen and read regarding their subpar load factors and constant losses, I figured I bring up this thought. Could Bahamasair have a use for combi aircraft? I feel that they could bring in more profits from the extra cargo they could haul on their family island flights as well as on the flights to/from Florida (especially coming back to NAS). Some examples they could look at are like fitting some of their ATR's with the manufacturer's 'Cargo flex' option as well as maybe a 737 combi almost like the ones AS used to fly.

What do you think about it? Should UP look into this kind of setup?

FlyingElvii

Re: Could combi aircraft work for Bahamasair?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:51 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Given the kind of environment they operate in as well as numerous things I've seen and read regarding their subpar load factors and constant losses, I figured I bring up this thought. Could Bahamasair have a use for combi aircraft? I feel that they could bring in more profits from the extra cargo they could haul on their family island flights as well as on the flights to/from Florida (especially coming back to NAS). Some examples they could look at are like fitting some of their ATR's with the manufacturer's 'Cargo flex' option as well as maybe a 737 combi almost like the ones AS used to fly.

What do you think about it? Should UP look into this kind of setup?

Too many cheap gypsy freighters in Florida to compete against.
Keep in mind that Bahamsair operates as much as a Jobs Program, as an airline.

LAXintl

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:31 am

Not sure its needed. There are multiple ships that operate between Florida and Bahama islands carrying everything from petroleum to cars, to food and all types of consumer and business goods.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

aemoreira1981

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:39 pm

What about DH8D combis for intra-Island use? Such are in use in Japan.

MavyWavyATR
Topic Author

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:00 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Not sure its needed. There are multiple ships that operate between Florida and Bahama islands carrying everything from petroleum to cars, to food and all types of consumer and business goods.

That's part of the reason why I came up with my initial thought, especially in particular to the mailboats within the Bahamas. Take NAS-GGT for example; a 737 combi could deliver a good bulk of the essentials in roughly 20 minutes while the mailboat takes like 12-14 hours to deliver almost the same thing. I figured maybe UP could sell combi's as a faster shipping alternative to the mailboats in some capacity while still giving citizens a lift throughout the country.

spinkid

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 pm

the ATR's would probably be the best fit for Bahama Air because of the number of smaller runways they have scattered about. I'm not sure how many 737 Combi's are available. I know Canadian North operates them, and I've seen several discussions about what they will do when they are out of life.

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:57 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

That's part of the reason why I came up with my initial thought, especially in particular to the mailboats within the Bahamas. Take NAS-GGT for example; a 737 combi could deliver a good bulk of the essentials in roughly 20 minutes while the mailboat takes like 12-14 hours to deliver almost the same thing. I figured maybe UP could sell combi's as a faster shipping alternative to the mailboats in some capacity while still giving citizens a lift throughout the country.

But what’s the volume of cargo where saving 12 hours or so adds value? It may not be that high.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

janders

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:

Who really needs something flown in 20 minutes and the cost of such versus normal ship transfer? Anyways Bahamasair can always move small urgent packages on its existing services, does not need a freighter.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

par13del

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:49 am

UP has done something similar decades ago when they bought their HS-748's one was specifically purchased as a cargo conversion, it had the extra large cargo door, however, to my knowledge it was never used as the operation did not allow the a/c to be removed from pax service for any length of time. Even when they switched to Dash-8's a cargo option was discussed, do not recall if it was ever taken up, however, the route where those cargo options were to be used was MIA-NAS to bring back all the bags that could not be loaded on the 737's. Imagine the problem when they had ceased using 737's and were Dash-8's only, now that the 737's are back they still struggle to bring all the bags during the winter season, and that is with multiple flights per day.
Baggage has always been UP's problem, too many dedicated cargo operators in Miami / South Florida for them to get involved.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos