Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAMBOJET

Re: Doug Parker Interview DMN

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Elementalism wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Yup. Dougie is too stupid to realize that destroying the main cabin product that most people fly in ruins the reputation of the entire airline. AA'a J class is decent, but who wants to get off an AA J flight and connect on Oasis?

Probably the same people that get off a DL J flight and get on to a 717, MD88, or MD90 or all of Delta’s regional fleet. Let’s not pretend Delta has a consistent International > domestic product.
The better question is who wants to get off a Delta J flight and connect on to the industry’s smallest F legroom on basically any plane? Those 37” in Oasis look pretty spacious compared to many Delta narrowbodies.

MD88\90 being retired. 717 being upgraded.

Delta hasn’t confirmed the 717 upgrade. It was an a.net rumor off a delta internal post that was later deleted. Never confirmed by Delta.
And the MD-88s and MD-90s are still there and The MD-90s are still there through 2022.

Are you suggesting Delta gets a customer pass on Inconsistent hard product until 2022 just because it’s Delta?

Miamiairport

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Not apologizing for DL but the MD80/90s are gone within a few years so it's understandable they aren't going to install AVOD. IDK but what is the average flight time on a 717? A 1.5 hour flight from ATL to another southeastern city is different than an AA LAX/SFO/MIA flight (now being served with LUS321s).

To me if there's insufficient time to watch a movie then having AVOD is mute.

musman9853

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Elementalism wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
Is DL's passenger demographic that much different than AA's? I find it bizarre that all of AA's data says people would rather watch movies on their 3 inch phones, while somehow DL's passengers strongly prefer built in IFE. Amazing to me that the US airline that's actually investing in it's product is also the most profitable. I mean that is just insane!

it's not 2010 anymore. My 6.8in QHD OLED phone, with literally the best screen in the world at that size, is faaar better than any ife system on any plane. Have fun watching a movie on a shitty 720 lcd panel.

Good for you, how many are in your position? Not many. Most prefer IFE. Including myself and I also have a nice phone. I use my phone for work on the plane and the IFE for entertainment. The whole BYOD has been movement in IT for over a decade with mixed results. And that is under a mostly controlled environment with company policy. Applying it to your customers is imo a foolish idea. It reeks of being cheap. Which works for ULCC crowd. Not one of the Big 3 trying to command a premium for their subpar product.

I'm gen z. I'd wager among my cohort it would be the majority. And it's not like AA doesn't have IFE, it's just streaming IFE which works perfectly fine. I recognize that among older generations that this attitude is not common. But tech advances at a much more rapid pace than anything mounted in a plane. Earlier people were bragging about hitachi tablets in the new DL a220s. Those are fine, but not amazing. And they'll be there for years, if not decades. What are they gonna do in a couple years when everyone is walking around with 120hz displays that makes 60fps displays something out of the dark ages? Try as hard as an airline can, they simply cannot match the pace of innovation in the consumer market. Mounted IFEs, in my opinion, are folly. I certainly agree that there are many things AA is doing wrong. No Mounted IFE is not one of them.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

DoctorVenkman

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

it's not 2010 anymore. My 6.8in QHD OLED phone, with literally the best screen in the world at that size, is faaar better than any ife system on any plane. Have fun watching a movie on a shitty 720 lcd panel.

Good for you, how many are in your position? Not many. Most prefer IFE. Including myself and I also have a nice phone. I use my phone for work on the plane and the IFE for entertainment. The whole BYOD has been movement in IT for over a decade with mixed results. And that is under a mostly controlled environment with company policy. Applying it to your customers is imo a foolish idea. It reeks of being cheap. Which works for ULCC crowd. Not one of the Big 3 trying to command a premium for their subpar product.

I'm gen z. I'd wager among my cohort it would be the majority. And it's not like AA doesn't have IFE, it's just streaming IFE which works perfectly fine. I recognize that among older generations that this attitude is not common. But tech advances at a much more rapid pace than anything mounted in a plane. Earlier people were bragging about hitachi tablets in the new DL a220s. Those are fine, but not amazing. And they'll be there for years, if not decades. What are they gonna do in a couple years when everyone is walking around with 120hz displays that makes 60fps displays something out of the dark ages? Try as hard as an airline can, they simply cannot match the pace of innovation in the consumer market. Mounted IFEs, in my opinion, are folly. I certainly agree that there are many things AA is doing wrong. No Mounted IFE is not one of them.

Displays at this point have reached the limits of the human eye. Humans have been tested and cannot perceive any difference beyond ~150fps. Even then the difference between 60fps and 150fps is pretty small since there are diminishing returns on the value of extra fps. You would really need to be focusing hard on a high-quality screen to notice the difference between 60fps and 150fps.

In terms of resultion, at a viewing distance of 18" the human eye can only perceive about 430 pixels per inch. This means that a 10" 4k display is at the limits of human perception from 18" of viewing. If you view from a bit further away - let's say 30" (more realistic for an airplane), then a 10" 1080P display is at the limit of human perception.

TL;DR is that displays are already at the limit of human perception. If airlines started installing screens now, they would not be "something out of the dark ages" within a few years. You would hardly be able to tell the difference.

UpNAWAy

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:02 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Displays at this point have reached the limits of the human eye. Humans have been tested and cannot perceive any difference beyond ~150fps. Even then the difference between 60fps and 150fps is pretty small since there are diminishing returns on the value of extra fps. You would really need to be focusing hard on a high-quality screen to notice the difference between 60fps and 150fps.

In terms of resultion, at a viewing distance of 18" the human eye can only perceive about 430 pixels per inch. This means that a 10" 4k display is at the limits of human perception from 18" of viewing. If you view from a bit further away - let's say 30" (more realistic for an airplane), then a 10" 1080P display is at the limit of human perception.

TL;DR is that displays are already at the limit of human perception. If airlines started installing screens now, they would not be "something out of the dark ages" within a few years. You would hardly be able to tell the difference.

Exactly, if only we had Airphones!!!!!!

Cactusjuba

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

The newer WIFI streaming PTVs on DL's newer interiors (A220, 330-900, 767-400, 321NEO), they are designed for what you speak, future upgrades. They can literally go to a single seat and line replace a screen in minutes if it's defective. Likewise, as computer/display tech advances so quickly, updating the PTVs for an entire airplane can be done overnight or two when it is down for routine maintenance. The screens won't be flying around for decades.

cledaybuck

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
To me if there's insufficient time to watch a movie then having AVOD is mute.
Why would I want mute AVOD?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

musman9853

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

sorry, did not mean fps, i meant hz as in refresh rate. High refresh rate devices have obviously better screens. the ipad pro with its 120hz display is a lot better than eny of its competitors, which ships with 60hz displays. that higher refresh rate is very noticeable.

musman9853

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

The newer WIFI streaming PTVs on DL's newer interiors (A220, 330-900, 767-400, 321NEO), they are designed for what you speak, future upgrades. They can literally go to a single seat and line replace a screen in minutes if it's defective. Likewise, as computer/display tech advances so quickly, updating the PTVs for an entire airplane can be done overnight or two when it is down for routine maintenance. The screens won't be flying around for decades.

even if they're replaced regularly, they're still gonna be behind consumer displays. I don't think delta is gonna spend 500 dollars per seat every year to upgrade to the latest OLED panels.

DoctorVenkman

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

even if they're replaced regularly, they're still gonna be behind consumer displays. I don't think delta is gonna spend 500 dollars per seat every year to upgrade to the latest OLED panels.

I don't think you understand what we've been saying. At the screen size and viewing distance we are talking about, you will not be able to perceive any difference. Maybe on a huge 70" TV, or a 30" gaming monitor you sit 18" from, you would be able to see a small improvement year over year. But on a 8-12" IFE display we've essentially reached the limit of the human eye already.

musman9853

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

I don't think you understand what we've been saying. At the screen size and viewing distance we are talking about, you will not be able to perceive any difference. Maybe on a huge 70" TV, or a 30" gaming monitor you sit 18" from, you would be able to see a small improvement year over year. But on a 8-12" IFE display we've essentially reached the limit of the human eye already.

First, there is a massive difference between OLED and LCD that is visible in any resolution. There is also a big difference between the 60hz displays that are common now, and the 90/120hz displays that will be commonplace on smartphones within a year or so. So while the actual resolution between the 720p panels in the ife and the QHD panels on phones are noticble to a certain degree, they are not the only things that matter in a display. And this is all before any mention of color accuracy, white balance, etc.

ual763

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 pm

910A wrote:
I noticed Parker didn't mention one word regarding the guest experience onboard one of his company's planes..

Wonder how many people comparing AA to Frontier/Spirit have actually flown AA recently? To be honest, I was just on two of their aircraft today. After how horrible everyone makes them out to be, I was actually rather pleasantly surprised. Nice, brand new seats (which were actually more comfortable than the seats on the Delta flight I was on last week), clean as hell, and a big nice new IFED in the back of the seats. This was in regular old economy mind you. FAs were nice, got the Biscoff (was offered 2) and a whole can of pop! It was a nice flight.
Last edited by ual763 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From flying to the NOTAM office

global2

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:08 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

..."Those are fine, but not amazing". . I don't necessarily need amazing on a flight. I would just like the option to turn on the TV and not have to try and substitute that with the 3" screen on my phone, worry about plugging in chargers, or taking up my entire tray table space with a laptop which I'm going to have to dig out of my carry on bag that's in the overhead and put back again when it's time to land. I'm a million miler on AAdvantage, but I applaud Delta for aiming to differentiate themselves in terms of investing in the customer experience and for thinking out of the box by developing their tablet based IFE which is both lighter than conventional systems and also easier to upgrade/change out as technology advances.

musman9853

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 pm

global2 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

..."Those are fine, but not amazing". . I don't necessarily need amazing on a flight. I would just like the option to turn on the TV and not have to try and substitute that with the 3" screen on my phone, worry about plugging in chargers, or taking up my entire tray table space with a laptop which I'm going to have to dig out of my carry on bag that's in the overhead and put back again when it's time to land. I'm a million miler on AAdvantage, but I applaud Delta for aiming to differentiate themselves in terms of investing in the customer experience and for thinking out of the box by developing their tablet based IFE which is both lighter than conventional systems and also easier to upgrade/change out as technology advances.

again, it's not 2010. My phone has a 6.8in display with around 12hrs of battery life if i strech it out on airplane mode. there simply is not any ife system in the world that can be better than it. it's just the nature of how consumer devices advance far faster than the airline industry can reasonably be counted to do.

9w748capt

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 pm

ual763 wrote:
910A wrote:
I noticed Parker didn't mention one word regarding the guest experience onboard one of his company's planes..

Wonder how many people comparing AA to Frontier/Spirit have actually flown AA recently? To be honest, I was just on two of their aircraft today. After how horrible everyone makes them out to be, I was actually rather pleasantly surprised. Nice, brand new seats (which were actually more comfortable than the seats on the Delta flight I was on last week), clean as hell, and a big nice new IFED in the back of the seats. This was in regular old economy mind you. FAs were nice, got the Biscoff (was offered 2) and a whole can of pop! It was a nice flight.

Just curious, which route and which a/c? That's the thing - AA can be good. Their widebodies are comfortable enough (well maybe not in Y), but I love AA's 77W J class, for example. The LAA 321s with actual comfortable seats and in-seat IFE are excellent planes to fly on, even in Y. But AA is going to actively destroy their product. They're going to remove ALL PTVs and Oasis ALL interiors. They actually have a decent product on some of their mainline fleet, but Dougie and Isom see no value in actually providing their customers a good product. That's the problem. It's incredible to me that AA is going to spend millions of dollars - to make their product worse! Who in their right mind thinks that's a good idea? Why fix what ain't broke?

ual763

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:41 pm

9w748capt wrote:
ual763 wrote:
910A wrote:

Just curious, which route and which a/c? That's the thing - AA can be good. Their widebodies are comfortable enough (well maybe not in Y), but I love AA's 77W J class, for example. The LAA 321s with actual comfortable seats and in-seat IFE are excellent planes to fly on, even in Y. But AA is going to actively destroy their product. They're going to remove ALL PTVs and Oasis ALL interiors. They actually have a decent product on some of their mainline fleet, but Dougie and Isom see no value in actually providing their customers a good product. That's the problem. It's incredible to me that AA is going to spend millions of dollars - to make their product worse! Who in their right mind thinks that's a good idea? Why fix what ain't broke?

It was an Envoy E175 TUL-DFW, and then a mainline A319 DFW-IAD this morning
From flying to the NOTAM office

usairways787

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Just leave already, and take your management with you.

9w748capt

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 pm

ual763 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
ual763 wrote:

It was an Envoy E175 TUL-DFW, and then a mainline A319 DFW-IAD this morning

The E75s are great. I'll gladly survive 3 hours in one of those and not care about IFE. They have seats with actual padding and human-sized bathrooms. I mean what else could you want!

If the 319 you were on had PTVs, you got extremely lucky. Very few of them have PTVs, thanks to Dougie and co.

fly4ever78

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:28 pm

musman9853 wrote:
fly4ever78 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

making phone calls, haha. can't remember the last time i did that.

QHD OLED stands for QuadHD Organic Light Emitting Diode. OLEDS are on on the very best computers and TVs, and way better than the shitty LCDs that are used for ifes.

BTW... the IFE Delta is installing is a Hitachi tablet, mounted in a seat back. It's not a "shitty LCD" LOL

all lcds are shitty, and I guarantee it's not an oled panel. and hitachi, that world reknowned tablet company, is somehow good now? All they're known for is heavy equipment and vibrators.

Thanks for all these stunning revelations.

UpNAWAy

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:46 pm

9w748capt wrote:
ual763 wrote:
910A wrote:

The aircraft with the IFE have the horrible Recaro seats. Most uncomfortable seats in the fleet by a mile. Also the most problematic from a maintenance standpoint. The LUS seats are way more comfortable as are the Zodiacs on the widebody.

NeBaNi

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:35 pm

fly4ever78 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
fly4ever78 wrote:

BTW... the IFE Delta is installing is a Hitachi tablet, mounted in a seat back. It's not a "shitty LCD" LOL

all lcds are shitty, and I guarantee it's not an oled panel. and hitachi, that world reknowned tablet company, is somehow good now? All they're known for is heavy equipment and vibrators.

Thanks for all these stunning revelations.

The point that seemed to be missed here is that on DL, you can stream to your device *and* watch things on the seatback screen. If you're someone who likes using their phone to watch IFE, by all means go ahead. Delta gives you both options, AA and UA do not. No matter what your preference as a passenger is, there's no denying that more choice is good versus being forced to take one over the other.

BigPlaneGuy13

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:10 pm

I flew on a legacy AA 757 last week from DFW-JFK. These planes are outfitted with the lie-flat seats in first class. They looked attrocious. The backs of the seats where IFE used to be were gutted - with nothing to replace the gaping holes except for a dinky little phone/tablet holder. American's onboard product is quite literally looking like a skeleton of its former self.

With that being said, I have been a fervent supporter of building up connectivity capabilities instead of doubling down on IFE. I stand in solidarity with my fellow Gen-Z'er in this thread. However, American's approach has been nothing short of a clusterf*ck.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos