RWA380

Re: OAG Changes 10/6/2019:AS Cuts SFO-BNA/KOA/RDU,SJC-JFK/KOA/SNA,Adds SFO-PHX;DL In SEATPA;NK In SJU-EWR/BOS;DY EWR>JFK

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am

ASFlyer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
JBoy wrote:

Alaska hasn't returned any 319's yet.

Yes they have, in fact AS lost one A-320 & one A-321 during the retrofit process (AS started with 22 & ended up with 21 of the 320-214's w/o sharklets), some were frames slated to be returned by VX already, as VX had newer aircraft coming & they planned on letting go of the 319's entirely.

The range is good, but the galleys don't allow for full meal services. Not a good fit for AS. In fact the galleys are lacking on the A-320's as well & are not ideal at all for the way AS does their meal services (first hand from a F/A perspective). In this instance the F/A is the reliable source.

At the time of the merger VX had 67 aircraft in it's fleet (remember VX had received only 2 of their A-321neo's), currently AS operates (after retrofit) 10 A-319-112's, 10 A-320-214's w/sharklets, 21 A-320-214 w/o sharklets & 8 A-321neo's (there were 9 before retrofit). That is a current total of 49 Airbus aircraft in the AS fleet.

By my count that means AS is down 18 Airbus aircraft, that's just under 30% of the VX fleet at time of merger. The naysayers that keep arguing that AS is still deciding on the Airbus fleet need to see this.

While AS is contractually obligated for the current leases, I would be extremely surprised if any Airbus was kept past it's initial expiration date, with the remote exception of the 321's but only if AS finds a mission they are uniquely qualified to fly, that AS wants to undertake with a relatively small sub-fleet of Airbus aircraft.

All of AS fleets & the information regarding my comments is located for public consumption at - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/trave ... aft/airbus

The information I used to determine fleet size for VX, was the Virgin America Wikipedia page located at - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_America

I agree with your statement about the galleys not being optimal for the services Alaska provides but as time goes on, and FA's continue to find ways to make it work, the company is becoming less concerned. They are looking for galley solutions on planes that FA's are continuing to have difficulties with.

AS has not given back any 321's that I'm aware of - still have 9, as indicated on the companies web page. I think there's a good chance the 321's stay in the fleet, with possible orders for more. Especially, in light of the MAX difficulties I think management may be wondering the wisdom of having all their eggs in one basket. That not withstanding, the 321 is impressing management.

I predicated my argument on the AS fact page for their Airbus fleet & as I stated how I obtained the information I used. Who would know that AS's own webpages are off by that many aircraft & while I know those things are notoriously late to be updated, I am unsure why AS would understate their fleet size there. Anyway, I can accept being wrong, not the first time & likely not the last as I round the bases at 55.

My longest term friend is my cousins best friend from high school, her & I clicked right away & she was in my entourage on my 21st birthday & she is a decade or better flying for AS. She first avoided the 320's once they could crossover, but it's impossible now being PDX based, unless you are senior enough to just fly Hawaii & back. PDX to BOS for one, has several T-cons on the A-320.

I also know that AAG was taken aback on the condition of the aircraft inherited from VX. The disrepair was far greater than had been represented & took far more time & of course cash, to remedy the bountiful number of small projects each frame had accumulated over the last year at VX. I was told that VX maintenance practices were subpar vs AAG standards & lots would change.

Anyway, thanks man, as usual you're a class act. Honestly I think I also have friends at AS that tell me shit & not privy stuff, but things that "could" happen based in recent events & speculation on the fleet.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

enilria
Topic Author

Re: OAG Changes 10/6/2019:AS Cuts SFO-BNA/KOA/RDU,SJC-JFK/KOA/SNA,Adds SFO-PHX;DL In SEATPA;NK In SJU-EWR/BOS;DY EWR>JFK

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:00 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
enilria wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
Interesting how an airline is both adding and cutting routes, but only the reductions are noted as to paint a picture of despair to fit their narrative.

Nice lie. 6 were dropped. 2 were added. All but one of those are in the headline. Go to Twitter or reddit if you want to try to create drama.

Ah, good ole a.net. It's getting worse than Facebook with snarky comments. You seem to take special effort in dissing AS. Not sure why, but they aren't nearly as bad as you want everyone to believe.

"they aren't nearly as bad as you want everyone to believe"
I post all the schedule changes here. If I wanted people to believe a narrative I would only post changes that support a narrative...like the regular media does. If you want free data you get my comments too...or find this data elsewhere.

EvanWSFO

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:35 pm

enilria wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
enilria wrote:
Nice lie. 6 were dropped. 2 were added. All but one of those are in the headline. Go to Twitter or reddit if you want to try to create drama.

Ah, good ole a.net. It's getting worse than Facebook with snarky comments. You seem to take special effort in dissing AS. Not sure why, but they aren't nearly as bad as you want everyone to believe.

I post all the schedule changes here. If I wanted people to believe a narrative I would only post changes that support a narrative...like the regular media does. If you want free data you get my comments too...or find this data elsewhere.

Meh...you still attack AS more than any other carrier, even in threads you do not start. I get every airline has it's fanboys and haters, but AS is one of the better carriers left in this nation, and every time they cut a flight you imply the wheels are coming off. Have a great week.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

SFOtoORD

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:21 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
enilria wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Meh...you still attack AS more than any other carrier, even in threads you do not start. I get every airline has it's fanboys and haters, but AS is one of the better carriers left in this nation, and every time they cut a flight you imply the wheels are coming off. Have a great week.

Hardly. He’s critical of all carriers over time and it is largely well deserved. There was a long running meme that he only picked on DL too. There is an odd thing that people seem the most sensitive about AS these days. It is what it is. Talk about the data and then there is no drama.

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:47 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
enilria wrote:

Hardly. He’s critical of all carriers over time and it is largely well deserved. There was a long running meme that he only picked on DL too. There is an odd thing that people seem the most sensitive about AS these days. It is what it is. Talk about the data and then there is no drama.

Don't forget the meme that I only pick on WN.

TW787

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:59 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:

I wish those who are defending AS would get the point. No one is saying AS is not "one of the better carriers left in this nation." What is alarming to me, and I think is also the focus of many of the recent comments about AS on this site is that when AS bought VX, they publicly communicated what their plan was and launched a ton of new markets to support that. They publicly said that they needed to grow in California because they were running out of growth opportunities as a stand alone carrier. In another thread, I counted 51 new California market announcements, and they have since exited 25 and an additional 14 that were in existence prior to the growth. So that's a net +12. I love AS. But I am genuinely fearful of their future if they can't grow beyond the PNW. With each additional California route that is cut, it becomes a bigger and bigger worry. Where do they go from here?

EIPremier

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm

n7371f wrote:
AS is the only major US airline who plates their domestic first class meals (it explains why you may not get your meal until an hour left on a 3 hour flight). It's a tedious process but it also requires plenty of counter space. Virgin, like everyone else, served meals that were plated in catering.

Yes, and count me as one who appreciates the fact that the meals are not pre-plated. I have flown a number of midcons and transcons in F on AS this year, and I really think AS has the best catering amongst US carriers. Not necessarily true for the short-haul flights, but when they serve a full meal, it is high quality, tasty and well presented.

I do think this is an issue with the reconfiguration of the A320 and A321neo however. The A320 are getting four extra F seats and the 321neo is getting eight extra F seats. Yet, the F/A's must still utilize the tiny forward galley that VX originally configured.

n7371f

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:56 am

Waaaaaaaaa....just cancel your account if you can't take it.

EvanWSFO wrote:
enilria wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

SUNCTRY738

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm

TW787 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

I wish those who are defending AS would get the point. No one is saying AS is not "one of the better carriers left in this nation." What is alarming to me, and I think is also the focus of many of the recent comments about AS on this site is that when AS bought VX, they publicly communicated what their plan was and launched a ton of new markets to support that. They publicly said that they needed to grow in California because they were running out of growth opportunities as a stand alone carrier. In another thread, I counted 51 new California market announcements, and they have since exited 25 and an additional 14 that were in existence prior to the growth. So that's a net +12. I love AS. But I am genuinely fearful of their future if they can't grow beyond the PNW. With each additional California route that is cut, it becomes a bigger and bigger worry. Where do they go from here?

Well stated and I fully agree. How does AS survive going forward? I am doubtful, especially if UA and AA eventually follow DL'S lead in making investments in the remaining foreign carriers that are not now with DL. I think that is very likely to occur. And if it does, why would UA or AA allow those foreign carriers like Cathay Pacific to continue any code sharing with AS? Without those international code shares, and with such a regional operation, how does AS survive?

capitalflyer

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:14 pm

*UA CAK-EWR MAY 1.6>0.4[2] JUN 1.5>0[1.9] JUL 1.5>0[1.8]
*UA CAK-IAD MAY 0>2[0] JUN 0>3[0] JUL 0>3[0]

Depends if this is connecting or O&D traffic. It is interesting that this was less than 2x but they make it 3x to IAD. Perhaps they had some extra demand at CAK and they are building that in to the IAD schedule? It will be interesting if this comes back at least 1x for O&D on the early (6am) flight to EWR and then 1x or 2x to IAD for connections later in the day to link up to IAD banks.

Is it realistic for UA to force NYC travelers to CLE rather than either airport? Might that chase some NE Ohio folks not close to CLE to AA? Although AA only does 1x to LGA.

capitalflyer

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
acentauri wrote:
" UA IAD-PHL MAY 0>3[0] JUN 0>4[0] JUL 0>4[0.0]"
Kirby's toying with Parker's emotions. :bigthumbsup:

Good enough answer for me as to why the route is coming back.

*UA IAD-PBI FEB 0>0.6[0] MAR 0>1.0[0] APR 0>1.0[0] MAY 0>1.0[0] JUN 0>1.0[0] JUL 0>1.0[0]
**UA IAD-PHL MAY 0>3[0] JUN 0>4[0] JUL 0>4[0.0]

Indeed. Was there a previous reduction in EWR-PHL? Or is this a waiting for the other shoe to drop kind of situation (will we see it next week)?

UA also continues to slowly add back Florida after having nearly cut it entirely not long ago from IAD.

hpff

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:09 am

TW787 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Well, you can check the schedule to see where capacity has been added. AUS-SAN is up, SAN-SLC, SJC-BOI all up to twice daily, HNL-SJC is now daily, SJC gains a PVR flight, and SJC-SNA effectively moves to LAX. I'm not happy about the loss of the SFO-RDU flight, but the time I took that flight it was so badly timed it functioned as basically a double red-eye for someone not on U.S. East Coast time and I was unlikely to fly it again anyways, but I'm very happy about SFO-PHX, even if there's not a lot of frequency, as that makes international connections into PHX more of a possibility instead of having to fly AA (which on the whole isn't bad, but in experience AA do their best to throw a spanner in the works on connections.) Trimming Kona (at a time when Hawai'i has too many seats) and axing a couple transcons really isn't a huge concern when they're strengthening other routes out of California. It's not as if we're watching an airline fail in real time.

Also, not necessarily defending them either, just being willing to look under the hood a little bit - AS had a long stretch without any route changes I think earlier this year? They're probably the most interesting US major in terms of which routes they're trying at the moment, and given their tie-in with QF and their good customer service, I always keep my eye on them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos