catiii
Topic Author

Unticketed Pax Clears TSA, Boards DL Flight

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:14 pm

When you think about all the hurdles she needed to clear to get on the plane, it's a shocking failure of the system. I would be interested if they did a followup to see how she did it. It appears from the story she had no boarding pass, nor used someone else's boarding pass.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/woman ... TVgyD7MeL/

Prost

Re: Unticketed Pax Clears TSA, Boards DL Flight

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:24 pm

This will be interesting to find out. A whole bunch of wrong occurred here.

alasizon

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Ignoring the TSA part, its possible that the gate agent turned around to look at something else and the woman was able to slip through the jetway door and onto the plane. Other than that, there are much bigger failures, but it has certainly happened before.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

SRQLOT

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Well the article says she did not go thru TSA. So she could have sneaked in behind someone else going thru a door into the secure area.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU BNA,BHM,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO,RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 737-3/7/8/9/M8 744 757-2/3 763 788 319 320 321 333 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E195 (PA28,152)

jayunited

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
Well the article says she did not go thru TSA. So she could have sneaked in behind someone else going thru a door into the secure area.

After reading the article I think you are correct. If this person did gain access or piggy back through a door it means an employee (not necessarily a DL employee) with a SIDA badge was not paying attention when they went through the door to make sure the door closed and locked after they accessed the secure area of the airport.

SRQLOT

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm

jayunited wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

After reading the article I think you are correct. If this person did gain access or piggy back through a door it means an employee (not necessarily a DL employee) with a SIDA badge was not paying attention when they went through the door to make sure the door closed and locked after they accessed the secure area of the airport.

And usually if someone does walk by the ticket checker luckily another TSA agent notices that the person wasn’t checked, so a supervisor is involved. I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often as I had few close calls but always caught the person. Usually it’s someone who hasn’t flown before or an international tourist.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU BNA,BHM,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO,RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 737-3/7/8/9/M8 744 757-2/3 763 788 319 320 321 333 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E195 (PA28,152)

chepos

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Some SIDA badges about to get revoked at the ATL. I mean, If it is piggy backing onto the jet bridge how was the agent not paying attention to her door?

I have been to ATL, unless the passenger was familiar with the insides of the airport, it is almost impossible she could have sneaked through an employee portal and made her way to an aircraft without SIDA access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

enilria

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 pm

catiii wrote:
When you think about all the hurdles she needed to clear to get on the plane, it's a shocking failure of the system. I would be interested if they did a followup to see how she did it. It appears from the story she had no boarding pass, nor used someone else's boarding pass.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/woman ... TVgyD7MeL/

Only the Delta part is surprising

Veigar

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:09 pm

I am guessing as some other posters pointed out, someone was not paying attention.

DALMD80

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:26 pm

What type of aircraft? Just curious.
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

SuseJ772

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:28 pm

chepos wrote:
Some SIDA badges about to get revoked at the ATL. I mean, If it is piggy backing onto the jet bridge how was the agent not paying attention to her door?

I have been to ATL, unless the passenger was familiar with the insides of the airport, it is almost impossible she could have sneaked through an employee portal and made her way to an aircraft without SIDA access.

it was at MCO
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

Seabear

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Mrs Ada Quonsett??

ilovelamp

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:44 pm

chepos wrote:

Reading comprehension is your friend.

ILL

DFW17L

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:45 pm

jayunited wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:

We all have to be on guard to a piggy. I stopped someone once, he said “don’t you know who I am?”. I still didn’t let him through. He was pissed (and a veep), but you have to show your credentials.

Prost

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:57 pm

That veep is an ass. Nothing less than 100% compliance is acceptable.

ikramerica

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Prost wrote:

Reminds me of an episode of News Radio, where Phil Hartmans character, the lead news anchor for the radio station and a household name in NYC, was repeatedly denied entry into the radio station because he didn’t have his ID.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

GSPSPOT

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:26 pm

I would have hoped that security-minded fellow pax might have said something in such a scenario. Remember, we should all still be eyes & ears when someone who needs to know doesn't notice something that is "off".
Last edited by GSPSPOT on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Lakes, great life.

CHA5Departure

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:56 pm

DALMD80 wrote:

I was on this flight and the woman in question was seated in the row directly behind me. We were on an A321 (N372DN). I think she slipped past the gate agent while she was distracted by something else. I'm pretty sure it was during pre-boarding and she was one of the first people to get on the plane. We were told by the captain while holding on the tarmac that TSA was scanning video footage to see if she passed through security screening and if they couldn't find her that we would have to return to a gate and de-plane so that they could complete a security sweep of the aircraft. Since we had to return and de-plane my assumption was that they could not find video of her going through security screening. Now the TSA is saying she went through security so IDK if they were able to find her after more thorough review of the video footage or if TSA is changing their story to cover their butts...

It would take too much time for me to recount the whole story in detail but I'm happy to answer any questions about the encounter as I had a front row seat for the entire interaction on the plane.

TransWorldOne

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:18 pm

CHA5Departure wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:

I was on this flight and the woman in question was seated in the row directly behind me. We were on an A321 (N372DN). I think she slipped past the gate agent while she was distracted by something else. I'm pretty sure it was during pre-boarding and she was one of the first people to get on the plane. We were told by the captain while holding on the tarmac that TSA was scanning video footage to see if she passed through security screening and if they couldn't find her that we would have to return to a gate and de-plane so that they could complete a security sweep of the aircraft. Since we had to return and de-plane my assumption was that they could not find video of her going through security screening. Now the TSA is saying she went through security so IDK if they were able to find her after more thorough review of the video footage or if TSA is changing their story to cover their butts...

It would take too much time for me to recount the whole story in detail but I'm happy to answer any questions about the encounter as I had a front row seat for the entire interaction on the plane.

Can you describe the woman? What was her demeanor? Did she seem mentally intact? Did she appear intoxicated?

kiowa

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Delta employees will get spanked. TSA employees will claim it was a test and fine Delta for poor security.

Antarius

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Security theater is a extraordinary waste of money.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

smokeybandit

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 am

I'd be more concerned if she did go through security.

Jshank83

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 am

Not surprised about the getting on a plane with out a ticket part. I had someone do that on a flight I was on earlier this year. Ticket agent swiped the ticket (it actually was for his next leg) and still waved him thru after it made the not good beep noise. His ticket had a row that didn’t exist on the plane we were on. So once I pointed out he didn’t have the right ticket to him he got off the plane.

Anyway, I am curious to see how she got thru secure. Hopefully we find out.

IPFreely

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:19 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Hopefully, but I doubt it. Releasing that information gives other wannabe's a blueprint to try the same thing.

chepos

Unticketed Pax Clears TSA, Boards DL Flight

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:37 am

ilovelamp wrote:
chepos wrote:

Reading comprehension is your friend.

ILL

My apologies, I’ll make sure I attend my reading comprehension classes going forward. Gracias señor/ra for the reminder.

Fly the Flag!!!!

ztarizona

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:36 am

Prost wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: This is a case where failure is not an option. Absolutely stunning considering the flyer and taxpayer expense to bulk up security after Sept 11th and things like this can still happen. They nickle and dime us in the fees tacked on. Hope they refunded all those fees to everyone on the flight in question...Yeah right.

I guess its good news at least that news of it made the light of day :white: :x
“The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” ― Issac Asimov

ztarizona

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:37 am

Antarius wrote:
Security theater is a extraordinary waste of money.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
“The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” ― Issac Asimov

Lingon

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:14 am

IPFreely wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Hopefully, but I doubt it. Releasing that information gives other wannabe's a blueprint to try the same thing.

It should be like a Windows security fix - make the fix, then you can tell everyone what was the problem. In other words - the information can eventually be released how she passed security, but no one else should be able to do the same.

Elementalism

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Nothing surprises me anymore. At MSP I went through TSA Pre in the south end and went to the north end security to wait for my dad. As I am waiting I see some guy walk up the stairs from the baggage claim area with his bags. Im like wtf? I look down there and there is a TSA agent. But afaik once you go out, the only way back in is through the TSA security checkpoint.

BC77008

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Nothing surprises me anymore. At MSP I went through TSA Pre in the south end and went to the north end security to wait for my dad. As I am waiting I see some guy walk up the stairs from the baggage claim area with his bags. Im like wtf? I look down there and there is a TSA agent. But afaik once you go out, the only way back in is through the TSA security checkpoint.

I think what you saw was a crew member, perhaps not in uniform, going through the Known Crewmember checkpoint.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

lavalampluva

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Seabear wrote:
Mrs Ada Quonsett??

Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

readytotaxi

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Come on, very one knows Ada :lol:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

richierich

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Doesn't this happen quite frequently, albeit with varying details? How many times do we hear about somebody who got on the wrong flight or was on the wrong plane? I've personally boarded a flight and seen somebody at my seat who was on the wrong plane (probably the next scheduled flight from the gate) and another time encountered a passenger who was supposed to be on a later flight (to the same destination.) In both cases, I assumed the airline screwed up by letting them board, although I don't know how the boarding gate scanner didn't alert the agent of the error.

In all the cases I've seen though, the passengers on the wrong plane were ticketed and screened, so that is a big difference. I'm not sure what happened at MCO. If this woman evaded security and made it on to the plane, that means there were multiple breakdowns and that's kind of scary.

Is it possible she was on-board from the previous flight? Hiding in the lav until the new flight starts boarding doesn't sound very feasible but it's not out of the question.
None shall pass!!!!

Adipocere

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:02 pm

Has the suspect been identified yet? I scanned a few news sources and they all fail to name the woman.

btbx11

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Could it have been Marilyn Hartman? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Hartman

dabpit

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Being familiar with the Security Check Point she would have gone through to get over to AS4 where DL is, it is not easy to get by TSA at that Check Point but given the recent turmoil and extremely poor moral thanks to TSA management in MCO not surprised this person got by. In fact, I am surprised there haven't been other security breaches (or maybe just haven't seen them reported). As for this person possibly "piggybacking" to get to AS4, that is not possible (but I guess nothing is impossible) given that everyone must go through security screening to get to the Airsides (all bagged workers and ticketed passengers).
Carpe Diem

WayexTDI

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Adipocere wrote:
Has the suspect been identified yet? I scanned a few news sources and they all fail to name the woman.

What does it really change to have the name or not?

travelsonic

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Come on, very one knows Ada :lol:

The way Bakersfeld held back laughter while she was explaining how she snuck aboard Transglobal's planes gets me chuckling every time. :lol:

Adipocere

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:35 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

What does it really change to have the name or not?

It doesn’t change anything. I’m just curious to know the name behind the whodunit.

flybaby

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 pm

btbx11 wrote:
Could it have been Marilyn Hartman? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_Hartman

I doubt it. From the video it looks like the person being escorted out of the plane was a middle-aged African American female.

Hartman is an elderly Caucasian female (who actually somewhat resembles the legendary Ada Quonsett).

It’s pretty incredible that it took about 45 minutes to get that Delta stowaway off of the aircraft.

PresRDC

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:26 pm

If she got through without a boarding pass, but was screened appropriately, this is a big nothingburger. If she got through without being screened, then this is a serious issue. As for being able to get on the plane without a boarding pass, that is a Delta issue and only a Delta issue.

kiowa

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 pm

PresRDC wrote:
If she got through without a boarding pass, but was screened appropriately, this is a big nothingburger. If she got through without being screened, then this is a serious issue. As for being able to get on the plane without a boarding pass, that is a Delta issue and only a Delta issue.

I wonder what her whole intent was???

clrd4t8koff

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Adipocere wrote:

Name and photos of suspect below:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... et-ID.html

kiowa

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:15 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

They were “taxiing down the runway “?

smokeybandit

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm

kiowa wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

Maybe the woman was removed, the plane left the gate, then was summoned to return to the gate?

Adipocere

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:27 pm

News reports seem to concur that she has not been charged - not even something easy like trespassing. Maybe people from Orlando can comment whether this lady is from high political or moneyed interests in the area to get this kind of white glove treatment from law enforcement??

WN732

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:05 pm

kiowa wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

Yes and the gate is also called the ILS - Integral Loading System

Jetty

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:42 am

Adipocere wrote:
News reports seem to concur that she has not been charged - not even something easy like trespassing. Maybe people from Orlando can comment whether this lady is from high political or moneyed interests in the area to get this kind of white glove treatment from law enforcement??

Have you seen her picture? She was basically walking around in her pyjama, very unlikely to have special connections to get this treatment.

crownvic

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 am

Adipocere wrote:
Maybe people from Orlando can comment whether this lady is from high political or moneyed interests in the area to get this kind of white glove treatment from law enforcement??

I'm from Orlando....Yes she is very high up there in the political homeless ranks. Her pajamas were free too which has the mayor of Orlando in hot water as well..

Ask a ridiculous question ..get a ridiculous answer.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 am

Adipocere wrote:

This seems to be the norm for passengers who are removed at the gate vs those who cause a disruption in the air. Nevermind she snuck past TSA and a gate agent, let’s just let her enjoy the rest of her afternoon and let her go. I don’t understand why these idiots don’t get arrested. Is it just too costly for the TSA and/or the airlines to pursue?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos