SQ773
Topic Author

Updated: Judge Blocks EK's MEX Flight via BCN

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Ok, guys...Seems like tomorrow we will have oficially the news so many people have been waiting for ...

EK launching DXB-BCN-MEX 77W service

What really surprises me : This will be an additional frequency, so in total BCN will get 3 daily EK flights

No info of shedule, Days of week, etc...Just a rumor but tomorrow we should now more...Hopefully

Cheers
SQ773
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

dcajet

Re: Rumor : Big news for EK and BCN. Here we go, Mexico !

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Did EK get slots at MEX?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

x1234

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:50 am

Does the Middle East/Africa/South Asia have enough demand for a direct MEX flight!? Their better off starting a triangle routing DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB with the CUN stop both technical and passengers allowing full payload at sea level back to DXB.

MalevTU134

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:54 am

SQ773 wrote:
Ok, guys...Seems like tomorrow we will have oficially the news so many people have been waiting for ...

EK launching DXB-BCN-MEX 77W service

What really surprises me : This will be an additional frequency, so in total BCN will get 3 daily EK flights

No info of shedule, Days of week, etc...Just a rumor but tomorrow we should now more...Hopefully

Cheers
SQ773

Ah...the first announcement is pending... Not trying to be cynical here, but ket us remember how PTY was announced lime 3 times, then delayed, then opened up for sale (but virtually nothing actually got sold), just to be cancelled (officially "postponed until further notice") before the first flight. Which I believe was the best possible outcome, after all, for EK.

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:29 am

x1234 wrote:
Does the Middle East/Africa/South Asia have enough demand for a direct MEX flight!? Their better off starting a triangle routing DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB with the CUN stop both technical and passengers allowing full payload at sea level back to DXB.

They're not looking to satisfy minor demand Mexico-DXB. This is a way of leveraging the need to fuel eastbound (because of altitude at MEX) with strong demand MEX-BCN.

mugler

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:36 am

I wonder how AM and DL will react if true. AM started flying to BCN recently

continental004

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:13 am

I won't believe a damn thing until the first EK plane lands at MEX.

MalevTU134

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 am

continental004 wrote:
I won't believe a damn thing until the first EK plane lands at MEX.

Halleluyah, inshallah!!

atal17

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 am

ojas

Emirates Announces Mexico from Dec'19

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:16 am

Effective 09DEC19, Emirates will begin daily flights to MEX via BCN

EK 255 DXB - BCN 0330 0800
.............BCN - MEX 0955 1615

EK 256 MEX - BCN 1940 1325+1
............ BCN - DXB 1510+1 0045+2

Aircraft: B777-200LR

http://tradearabia.com/news/TTN_356651.html
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

LatinAirliner

Re: Confirmed: EK launching MEX via BCN

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:11 am

Are they having fifth freedom finally? The press release is not that clear for me.
LatinAirliner - Nickpo

Ishrion

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 am

LatinAirliner wrote:
Are they having fifth freedom finally? The press release is not that clear for me.

It looks like passengers can fly between BCN and MEX only and not continue to DXB.

Emirates’ Mexico City flight will be a linked service with Barcelona, meaning that customers can now travel between the two cities in unprecedented style and comfort. Citizens from Mexico, Spain and the UAE only need their passports to enjoy visa-free travel to each respective country.

LatinAirliner

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 am

Ishrion wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:

It looks like passengers can fly between BCN and MEX only and not continue to DXB.

Emirates’ Mexico City flight will be a linked service with Barcelona, meaning that customers can now travel between the two cities in unprecedented style and comfort. Citizens from Mexico, Spain and the UAE only need their passports to enjoy visa-free travel to each respective country.

Yes, I just did a dummy booking in the Emirates website and I can now find non-stop flights between MEX and BCN.

I am wondering what is AM planning.
LatinAirliner - Nickpo

Blerg

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am

The schedule for BCN-DXB is also pretty good as far as connections go.

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 am

Odd that EK's next best add is a one stop. MEX doesn't bring much to the EK network, and they'll always be a price taker in BCNMEX, which isn't a very large market on its own.
E pur si muove -Galileo

enilria

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 am

LatinAirliner wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:

Yes, I just did a dummy booking in the Emirates website and I can now find non-stop flights between MEX and BCN.

AM 49% owner by Delta. I can imagine the playbook.

Scream to DGAC and add money losing BCN flights perhaps.

airbazar

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:18 am

x1234 wrote:

It's a 5th freedom route. It has little to do with MEX-DXB. The big question is: can BCN support another DXB frequency?

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 am

enilria wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

AM started BCNMEX in June 2019.
E pur si muove -Galileo

aircatalonia

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:45 pm

About 655€ return BCN-MEX on all searches I did. I guess they will have to adjust the prices a little. There are plenty of options around 400€.

stylo777

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:22 pm

very surprised by the return schedule...

EK 186 D BCN 1 DXB 3 1500 0040+1 0 27OCT19 28MAR20 388
EK 256 D BCN 1 DXB 3 1510 0045+1 0 10DEC19 28MAR20 77L
EK 188 D BCN 1 DXB 3 2205 0735+1 0 27OCT19 28MAR20 388

EK186 and EK256 depart just five minutes apart...

enilria

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:33 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
enilria wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:

AM started BCNMEX in June 2019.

Then scream to DGAC.

jmmadrid

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm

It seems that AM's MEX-BCN-MEX is becoming daily in mid/late December, up from 3x.

AEROMEXICO have decided to put up a fight and must have realised that 3 times per week is not competitive.

Malayil

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Glad to see EK expanding again. Although OPO was recently added, the last add was EDI in late last year. Hopefully the India bilaterals will open up, and maybe China as well to see more expansion east of DXB.

Thenoflyzone

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:30 pm

x1234 wrote:

CUN as a stopover on the eastbound leg was the stupidest idea I have ever heard on this website.

It was always going to be BCN, both ways.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

bcn92

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:17 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
It seems that AM's MEX-BCN-MEX is becoming daily in mid/late December, up from 3x.

AEROMEXICO have decided to put up a fight and must have realised that 3 times per week is not competitive.

Source?

SCQ83

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
CUN as a stopover on the eastbound leg was the stupidest idea I have ever heard on this website

TK is launching IST-MEX-CUN-IST soon so it might not be the stupidest idea.

On the other hand, it is clear that EK does not know where to send their planes and it is desperately looking for 5th freedom routes, so there it goes.

airbazar wrote:
It's a 5th freedom route. It has little to do with MEX-DXB. The big question is: can BCN support another DXB frequency?

Not really. In June (best year to date), EK had 82% LF, EY had 88% and QR 70%. In January (worst month in 2019) EK had 63%, QR 54% (!) and EY 82%. So add another daily EK to the package. It seems the market BCN-ME3 is way over-served, and in winter it is a joke. But at this point the ME3 are not about profit but survival of the fittest and trying to diversify with 5th-freedom routes.

Etheereal

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 pm

LatinAirliner wrote:

Afaik they had those already, but didnt launch because AM(DL) tantrum.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

Thenoflyzone

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:11 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
CUN as a stopover on the eastbound leg was the stupidest idea I have ever heard on this website

TK's main hub is in Europe. Apples and oranges. TK can capture the cheaper European crowd headed to CUN and not minding multiple stops to get there. EK can't do that. Combined with the fact there is virtually no demand from Asia to CUN. So yes, stupidest idea ever.

Also, I would imagine TK had a harder time than EK in securing 5th freedom rights to/from MEX, explaining the CUN stopover.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Clydenairways

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:19 pm

I Wonder if IAG will stick level on that route just to add some more competition to the mix.

bcn92

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 pm

airbazar wrote:

Not really. In June (best year to date), EK had 82% LF, EY had 88% and QR 70%. In January (worst month in 2019) EK had 63%, QR 54% (!) and EY 82%. So add another daily EK to the package. It seems the market BCN-ME3 is way over-served, and in winter it is a joke. But at this point the ME3 are not about profit but survival of the fittest and trying to diversify with 5th-freedom routes.

For Emirates, the "big problem" in Spain is the DXB-Madrid route. They operate twice daily A380 service on this route and they've had a 66% LF in June.

Malayil

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Ishrion wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:

Not true. MEX originating passengers can go to DXB and vice versa.

Kadish

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 pm

bcn92 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

For Emirates, the "big problem" in Spain is the DXB-Madrid route. They operate twice daily A380 service on this route and they've had a 66% LF in June.

I dont know the load factors at all but the last ( and only) 2 times in the route the plane was totally crowded...

Ishrion

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:25 pm

Malayil wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:

Not true. MEX originating passengers can go to DXB and vice versa.

That’s what I mean. Sorry if it sounded weird. I meant “not continue to DXB and stop in BCN”.

DLHAM

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:21 pm

bcn92 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

June is one of the weakest travel months to Arabia, Southeast Asia and Oceania, EK load factors especially from Europe look like this almost everywhere in June.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

MalevTU134

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

TK's main hub is in Europe. Apples and oranges. TK can capture the cheaper European crowd headed to CUN and not minding multiple stops to get there. EK can't do that. Combined with the fact there is virtually no demand from Asia to CUN. So yes, stupidest idea ever.

Also, I would imagine TK had a harder time than EK in securing 5th freedom rights to/from MEX, explaining the CUN stopover.

The problem for EK is that what you write about CUN is also valid for MEX. Ok, BCN-MEX will put butts in seats, but probably at horrible yields. Anything east of India is going the reaaaally long way around through Dubai (remember that MEX has direct flights to NRT, ICN, PVG, PEK and CAN, as well as a plethora of connections through LAX among other points, going TPAC). Even Arabia (except DXB, of course), India and most of Africa is reachable with one stop less on KL, AF, LH, IB and others, compared to what EK can offer. So, to conclude: which is the huge, profitable market EK is after here? MEX-Africa?? :roll:

edealinfo

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 am

Malayil wrote:
Glad to see EK expanding again. Although OPO was recently added, the last add was EDI in late last year. Hopefully the India bilaterals will open up, and maybe China as well to see more expansion east of DXB.

Why will India allow additional flights to DXB when Emirates is a transfer point for what 60% of passengers?

Galwayman

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:08 am

edealinfo wrote:
Malayil wrote:

Why will India allow additional flights to DXB when Emirates is a transfer point for what 60% of passengers?

Because millions of Indians working in UAE send billions of dollars remittances to the Indian economy every year and these remittances are worth more than every single job in every single Indian airline multiplied by a thousand ... and therefore the Indian government should provide more access to Indian markets ... and there are possibly more Indians working for EK than any Indian airline , maybe ... and essentially EK is the main international
Airline for the subcontinent even if it hubs in UAE.

Essentially EK is Indias most important airline

Malayil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:18 am

edealinfo wrote:
Malayil wrote:

EK provides great connectivity for Indian passengers. I’m not advocating open skies, but the bilateral hasn’t been increased for over a decade. I personally would like to see flights on EK to GOI, ATQ, PNQ, and Jaipur as well as an upguage in frequencies to existing destinations.

santi319

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
So, to conclude: which is the huge, profitable market EK is after here? MEX-Africa?? :roll:

Well when you get your oil subsidized and basically have a ton of widebodies going nowhere because you already fly everywhere, and everywhere else is restricted, you go for desperate measures.

Low yields MEX-BCN - still could make a small profit.

Also never underestimate the Mexican high class and their purchasing power taking a DXB trip that could be a bit of a win for EK (as well as some local traffic of expats living there).

OGLOBAL

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:06 am

santi319 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
So, to conclude: which is the huge, profitable market EK is after here? MEX-Africa?? :roll:

Well when you get your oil subsidized and basically have a ton of widebodies going nowhere because you already fly everywhere, and everywhere else is restricted, you go for desperate measures.

Low yields MEX-BCN - still could make a small profit.

Also never underestimate the Mexican high class and their purchasing power taking a DXB trip that could be a bit of a win for EK (as well as some local traffic of expats living there).

here we go again with the usual non sense ...

SCQ83

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
The problem for EK is that what you write about CUN is also valid for MEX. Ok, BCN-MEX will put butts in seats, but probably at horrible yields. Anything east of India is going the reaaaally long way around through Dubai (remember that MEX has direct flights to NRT, ICN, PVG, PEK and CAN, as well as a plethora of connections through LAX among other points, going TPAC). Even Arabia (except DXB, of course), India and most of Africa is reachable with one stop less on KL, AF, LH, IB and others, compared to what EK can offer. So, to conclude: which is the huge, profitable market EK is after here? MEX-Africa?? :roll:

Aeromexico had a 89% load factor in its first month of MEX-BCN so EK just jumped on it trying not to lose the chance.

I suspect this BCN-MEX on EK is going to be the route of the season for bargain hunters. Even in some routes like MXP-JFK, EK is notorious to offer 400 or 500 EUR return fares in low-season, so I can see the same (or even cheaper) here. Interestingly Mexico City seems to be catching up as a destination itself for millennials of all sorts. So this flight could become a new Norwegian and as crazy as it seems, Mexico City a new budget destination for Europeans.

SYDBCN

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-changes/

I can see AM not doing too bad... already upgrading to 789

EvanWSFO

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm

stylo777 wrote:
very surprised by the return schedule...

EK 186 D BCN 1 DXB 3 1500 0040+1 0 27OCT19 28MAR20 388
EK 256 D BCN 1 DXB 3 1510 0045+1 0 10DEC19 28MAR20 77L
EK 188 D BCN 1 DXB 3 2205 0735+1 0 27OCT19 28MAR20 388

EK186 and EK256 depart just five minutes apart...

Looks like they feed that 02:00-ish bank at DXB. That place is a zoo at that time.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

hohd

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Galwayman wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
Malayil wrote:

Because millions of Indians working in UAE send billions of dollars remittances to the Indian economy every year and these remittances are worth more than every single job in every single Indian airline multiplied by a thousand ... and therefore the Indian government should provide more access to Indian markets ... and there are possibly more Indians working for EK than any Indian airline , maybe ... and essentially EK is the main international
Airline for the subcontinent even if it hubs in UAE.

Essentially EK is Indias most important airline

Not sure if many Indians work for EK. On many flights to/from India I don't see a single FA who can speak Hindi and if they did there will be just one. Yes many Indians work in Dubai, but unlike before India is now a big economy on its own and does not depend on the remittances from UAE alone. Only way India will expand the bilaterals if the domestic carriers have taken up all the capacity and it is getting close now. Even then I am not sure, they will expand only if they can get better access to DXB.

upperdeckfan

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

TK is not going after cheap european crowd going to CUN as most of them already go on all-inclusive packages with the likes of Condor, TUI, Edelweis, Wamos, etc. TK will offer convenient one-stop routings to anywhere in Asia, eastern europe and russia, middle east and east Africa so they can capture loads and yields. On the other hand, EK will offer two-stops to get where TK gets you on only one.

Same rationale applies for the stopovers in TIJ or MTY on MEX-PVG and MEX-ICN.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

MalevTU134

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:47 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

TK is not going after cheap european crowd going to CUN as most of them already go on all-inclusive packages with the likes of Condor, TUI, Edelweis, Wamos, etc. TK will offer convenient one-stop routings to anywhere in Asia, eastern europe and russia, middle east and east Africa so they can capture loads and yields. On the other hand, EK will offer two-stops to get where TK gets you on only one.

Same rationale applies for the stopovers in TIJ or MTY on MEX-PVG and MEX-ICN.

Except that out of MEX, TK will also be 2 stops to points beyond IST (on the outbound; and from CUN, on the inbound)

SCQ83

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Except that out of MEX, TK will also be 2 stops to points beyond IST (on the outbound; and from CUN, on the inbound)

Flight is triangular: IST-MEX-CUN-IST

TK181 IST2055 – 0410+1MEX0530+1 – 0750+1CUN0920+1 – 0525+2IST 789 357

dodgers702

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:13 pm

Hopefully this route materializes since EK has been wanting to land in Mexico for years! So we have TK and possibly EK.... Maybe QR is next!... :lol:

airbazar

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Remember the World Cup in Qatar is only 3 years away. No I'm not suggesting that EK is adding this flight because of a 3-week event especially considering the current "embargo" however, that event will dominate the conversation and the media for 2 years leading up to it, and will bring a huge amount of attention to the tourism offerings of the entire region.

LatinPlane

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:54 pm

SYDBCN wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285435/aeromexico-aug-oct-2019-barcelona-aircraft-changes/

I can see AM not doing too bad... already upgrading to 789

Apparently the route is performing quite nicely hence the need to upgauge from the start to 789 instead of the planned 788. While the front of the cabin is not as high premium as its MAD flight, they have found that there's a big demand for cargo uplift between BCN and MEX.

There may be room enough for both carriers. AM already competes on all its other European destinations.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos