Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Paralympic medallist climbs on top of BA aircraft at LCY - Extinction Rebellion protest

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Interesting day today at LCY. Earlier in the day, a passenger on-board a flight from LCY was arrested and removed after attempting to cause disruption.Apparently linked to the Extinction Rebellion movement.

Just now, in a separate incident at London City Airport, Paralympic bronze medallist James Brown has been arrested after climbing on TOP of a BA aircraft at boarding stage.

This is getting a bit old now, it's unfair that these people see fit to cause unnecessary disruption to fare-paying passengers, families and business travellers. It's a contentious issue, for sure, and I do agree we need to look at this situation closely. However, I am also a little baffled why the current and very sweeping outrage all of a sudden, it's not like we haven't known about climate changes for years, and governments do seem to be taking this more seriously in recent years.

I feel like we have enough on our plate in the UK at the moment, with everything else. Hope they get a night or two in jail and a steep fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50000110

https://news.sky.com/story/flight-retur ... d-11832001

APYu

Re: Paralympic medallist climbs on top of BA aircraft at LCY - Extinction Rebellion protest

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:57 pm

I hope they charge him for the damage
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

BlueberryWheats

Re: Paralympic medallist climbs on top of BA aircraft at LCY - Extinction Rebellion protest

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:38 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
James Brown has been arrested after climbing on TOP of a BA aircraft at boarding stage.

Hope he managed to "get doooooowwwwwwn" from the aircraft safely.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

enilria

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
Interesting day today at LCY. Earlier in the day, a passenger on-board a flight from LCY was arrested and removed after attempting to cause disruption.Apparently linked to the Extinction Rebellion movement.

Just now, in a separate incident at London City Airport, Paralympic bronze medallist James Brown has been arrested after climbing on TOP of a BA aircraft at boarding stage.

This is getting a bit old now, it's unfair that these people see fit to cause unnecessary disruption to fare-paying passengers, families and business travellers. It's a contentious issue, for sure, and I do agree we need to look at this situation closely. However, I am also a little baffled why the current and very sweeping outrage all of a sudden, it's not like we haven't known about climate changes for years, and governments do seem to be taking this more seriously in recent years.

I feel like we have enough on our plate in the UK at the moment, with everything else. Hope they get a night or two in jail and a steep fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50000110

https://news.sky.com/story/flight-retur ... d-11832001

Hopefully he will be charged with the same crimes that a terrorist who did the same thing would be charged with, because purpose is irrelevant. It’s the same crime.

kabq737

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:49 pm

All,

Please keep politics out of this thread so that we don’t have to lock it. Non aviation opinion based discussions can be found in the non aviation thread.

Thanks
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

seat1a

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 pm

any video on how he got up there? did he just grapple the door and climb on that?
what about inspection for damage to the skin of the aircraft - any comments about whether it would be significant or not?

co-opting others lives like this situation isn't good behavior imho

kalvado

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm

seat1a wrote:
any video on how he got up there? did he just grapple the door and climb on that?
what about inspection for damage to the skin of the aircraft - any comments about whether it would be significant or not?

A few years ago some smart TSA guy inspected aircraft by climbing to check if the doors are locked using airstream sensors as steps...

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm

seat1a wrote:

I would be surprised if there was anything other than a few scratches, I doubt anything serious, damage-wise, but a really stupid stunt for sure.

devron

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Doing it at city make sence you board the aircraft using chairs and itnare mainly business passengers and not families travelling to their yearly holiday.

nry

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Hilarious. He was caught doping in the past.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2016/1 ... violation/

I'm sure he took a boat from Ireland to London /s Probably not.
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320 (+neo), A321, A330, A340
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175

a36001

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 pm

I am soooo over this issue! If these idiot activists are going to start to put peoples lives at risk where does it end? I just feel sorry for the plane having to be touched up by a moronic idiot like that!

usflyer msp

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:22 pm

He should be tied down to bench and caned. 1 lash for every minute of delay he caused.

Aceskywalker

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 am

I can totally see airline employees, especially on board staff like pilots and flight attendants being painted as villains who enable polluting aviation

JannEejit

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:08 am

Aceskywalker wrote:
I can totally see airline employees, especially on board staff like pilots and flight attendants being painted as villains who enable polluting aviation

As we are attempting to keep this thread within an aviation remit, not political. I'll say that I disagree pilots and flight attendants are being vilified amongst the wider debate here. If anything it's the general public and our so called thirst for frequent flights and multiple options. The more aircraft there are up there at any given point then the likelihood of environmental damage increases exponentially. When people talk about the death of the Very Large Aircraft (VLA) in terms of demand. I sometimes wonder if there will become a time when frequency is sacrificed at the behest of 'capacity' ? Are small regionals like LCY going to be increasingly frowned upon in years to come ? Could we see an increase in VLA's transporting more people, but less often ? If frequency goes, what happens next and what routes are ripe for exactly that ?

MoonC

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:07 am

It's like the "Live as I want you to live" crowd are out en force.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:20 am

No matter his political cause, this was a serious breach of security that cannot be tolerated. He should face significant civil and criminal penalties to discourage such acts in the future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos