Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boston757

Re: American Airlines Senior VP Of Customer Experience To Retire + Leadership Changes

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:07 pm

WindyBaseball wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
WindyBaseball wrote:

That’s the exact problem with Vasu. He chases highly visible projects. What big network pieces have come out of DL’s network planning recently? It’s not exotic destinations, it’s taking what already works and expanding on it. AA chases the Bologna and Casablancas of the world while DL builds a hub in Seattle and now Boston.

The job of a network planning leader is to build a profitable network, not just one that goes to sexy places that people on a.net or flyertalk talk about. It’s no surprise how DL and UA have outperformed AA, it’s largely network strength, not customer service.

He has cut a lot of longtime money losers that caused great concern on A.Net. He is absolutely building a profitable network and he is willing to take some risk too. Nothing in your post is accurate.

Do you work at AA? Have you seen the numbers? The routes that were cut were no brainers but still plenty more to go. Just wait for the aircraft cancels to come in soon.

AA is going to CXL aircraft orders??? Well they can CXL the 321neo that would be welcome.

Antarius

Re: American Airlines Senior VP Of Customer Experience To Retire + Leadership Changes

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 pm

N649DL wrote:
Im noticing this forum seems to be overly critical of AA management but more or less gives a pass to UAL. And that company in my eyes has really f'ed up a lot over the last few years and yet still get a pass despite how aloof Oscar and Kirby are.

I think UA hit rock bottom years ago, so it beating up on them has been done and is done. Since Smisek, UA has improved; while still not good, it is far better than the dark days of 2013. AA, meanwhile was on an upward trajectory in terms of customer product etc. in 2013 and has regressed significantly, now earning the ire of many.

I fly AA multiple times a week and am not super happy with a lot of things recently. That said, despite residing in 2 UA hubs, I still won't get on a United flight voluntarily.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Antarius

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Boston757 wrote:
WindyBaseball wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

He has cut a lot of longtime money losers that caused great concern on A.Net. He is absolutely building a profitable network and he is willing to take some risk too. Nothing in your post is accurate.

Do you work at AA? Have you seen the numbers? The routes that were cut were no brainers but still plenty more to go. Just wait for the aircraft cancels to come in soon.

AA is going to CXL aircraft orders??? Well they can CXL the 321neo that would be welcome.

Why would that be welcome?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

F9Animal

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

#Sad.

Really? Is AA on life support? Is AA bankrupt, or heading to bankruptcy? Last time I checked, they were making profits. AA has plenty of potential, and can be better of course. But, to suggest they are in trouble is kind of comical.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Dieuwer

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:53 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

#Sad.

Really? Is AA on life support? Is AA bankrupt, or heading to bankruptcy? Last time I checked, they were making profits. AA has plenty of potential, and can be better of course. But, to suggest they are in trouble is kind of comical.

Both the Current Ratio and Quick Ratio of AAL are well below 1.0, which is a sign of severe liquidity stress. Total debt is $34.8B while the company is worth just $12.4B is another red flag.
Just wait for oil to spike and the economy to enter a recession. Then AA will be in big trouble.

N649DL

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Antarius wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Im noticing this forum seems to be overly critical of AA management but more or less gives a pass to UAL. And that company in my eyes has really f'ed up a lot over the last few years and yet still get a pass despite how aloof Oscar and Kirby are.

I think UA hit rock bottom years ago, so it beating up on them has been done and is done. Since Smisek, UA has improved; while still not good, it is far better than the dark days of 2013. AA, meanwhile was on an upward trajectory in terms of customer product etc. in 2013 and has regressed significantly, now earning the ire of many.

I fly AA multiple times a week and am not super happy with a lot of things recently. That said, despite residing in 2 UA hubs, I still won't get on a United flight voluntarily.

UA is better after hitting wrong bottom, but I still think AA is slightly better even right now. I've flown AA off and on (and via talking to people not on this forum) who still think AA is better than UA no matter what. There is general hysteria on this forum regarding AA's financials, but if you look at the meal forums on FT it seems AA still is ahead of UA these days.

FlyingElvii

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:58 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
IMO, these changes wouldn't even make the news if it wasn't AA at its current time. It's a minor change at most that happens regularly at companies. But since people are salivating at the perception that the current leadership is the problem, any change is a big deal.

catiii wrote:
Well put. DL and UA chase the exotics too BUT they do it from a position of network strength. AA’s network is a mess. Random Boston adds, schizophrenia in JFK, a faltering alliance...he hasn’t knocked it out of the park.

Agreed, but having a high-cost structure will make the network and network team appear disappointing. It's much more difficult to create a strong network when the margin to play with is less. Side projects like BOS and JFK have to be axed. AA doesn't have the structure to tolerate either straight up losses or opportunity cost losses in strategic areas.

AA has always been known as a company with a “Glass Tower” mentality, at least in my lifetime.

spinotter

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Boston757 wrote:
WindyBaseball wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

Why do you say that? No preconceptions here, but why the 321neo order especially?

timh4000

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:52 pm

AA is profitable. The board and the CEO, that's the 1st order of business. I find on here and just in general to get more upset when there are delays/cancellations when we are on an airline we already don't like and are more willing to give a pass to the ones we do.

A cpl weeks ago I had counting layovers, 4 successive great flights on south west whom I'd never flown with before. It certainly is reasonable that when you get good service short layovers and on time to like that and continue to book on WN.so I posted the question to this forum its thoughts on WN. Was I lucky or is it the norm?

From the summer of 2018 to the early spring of 2019, I took approximately 20 flights on AA. Short regional hops, every flight was on a ERJ145. Not a popular plane for most of you. Can't say was in love with it either. But one hr, gate to gate, I don't think anyone to expect much. However, I was frequently delayed due to staffing or maintenance. The ONE FA Often seemed unfriendly, looked bored and miserable. I can imagine however that being the only FA on a 50 seater and you just go up and down all day long. I imagine its generally the consistently worst FA job in the commercial airline business. Still, it's part of your job to be friendly and at least appear to be eager to help.

So out of 20 flights half were not good ones for one reason or another. But, I haven't flown AA Transcon or TATL, so those flights I might have a different vibe than I do about AA. So really I should put the blame squarely on american eagle operated by Piedmont.
I do see more posts on here negative wise about AA than any other major airline, and I would say last with u.s. carriers big and small. .

So now of course when I take AA For anything else and something goes wrong I get extra irritated. This happened on my initial trip down to va to live. Damn you AA!

I'm not big on having huge favorites airline wise, I look for price and convenience as to the ticket i buy. AA happened to fit that that day, until it got cancelled for not having an available crew until after the last flight out of PHL was gone and i would have been stuck there, at the airport or a hotel. I just got a ride back to my home in NY.

So, AA and their "changes"...so long as they are making a profit the changes are likely to be minimal. At the top, they aren't concerned about how happy you are to get on their plane so long as you do. So, as much as we generally seem to dislike AA, we are still flying them. If I was the owner of a profitable company, don't look for me to be rocking the boat very much, just enough to keep making lots of money. I wouldn't expect too much from AA so long as people are getting on their planes.

Detroit313

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:18 pm

The dramatic posts in here make me laugh.

AA reported its all time highest second quarter revenue last July. All time high. 12+ billion dollars. And that was with the MAX grounded and all the issues with the mechanics.

And with by far the youngest fleet in the industry compared to United and Delta, things will be fine.

Remember UA and Delta still have to replace hundreds of 757s, 767s, MD80s etc. AA is pretty much done with all that.

kondoo

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Art at ISP wrote:
Until everyone who worked for HP/US is gone, little will change. That whole corporate culture of "the employee and the customers are the enemy" and stepping over dollars to pick up pennies has to change. D0ug and his team should read Gordon Bethune's book "From Worst to First" again and again to see how it's done.

Could not agree more. Revenue generating problems are self-inflicted. Doing this as an LCC.

UpNAWAy

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Funny how operationally, maintenance and customer service the LUS side is much better by most accounts and the problems seem to be mostly on LAA. That doesn't mean its not the CEOs fault but that does seem to indicate that maybe mid level management maybe the real culprit.

Phoenix757767

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 pm

The Association and AA are close to a TA for all represented groups.

Antarius

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
Funny how operationally, maintenance and customer service the LUS side is much better by most accounts and the problems seem to be mostly on LAA. That doesn't mean its not the CEOs fault but that does seem to indicate that maybe mid level management maybe the real culprit.

Umm no. PHL is a cesspool - operationally a cluster, mx is across the board and unquestionably the worst agents in the system. As an LAA flyer, my experience has significantly dropped post merger, not improved at all.

Antarius

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
The dramatic posts in here make me laugh.

AA reported its all time highest second quarter revenue last July. All time high. 12+ billion dollars. And that was with the MAX grounded and all the issues with the mechanics.

And with by far the youngest fleet in the industry compared to United and Delta, things will be fine.

Remember UA and Delta still have to replace hundreds of 757s, 767s, MD80s etc. AA is pretty much done with all that.

So are all investors stupid? If the financials are so rock solid, why is AA's stock lagging the sector so significantly?

AEROFAN

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:46 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
However, what remains at BOS and JFK is profitable. To cede what’s left wouldn’t offer a network that might be attractive to business fliers. The problem is the current management has no clue what potential JFK had, when it was supposed to be a “cornerstone” hub during the previous management’s strategy. Yes, the BOS and NYC markets are highly competitive and there’s a lot of low fares, but the higher paying business travelers make up for the cheaper fares and then some. That’s why Delta is going after these markets, with their customer-oriented service. When passengers aren’t happy about something at DL, DL listens and works to make the customer satisfied. At AA, the complaints fall on deaf ears and the management just comes up with a reason why they’re going to continue doing the same things that made the customer unhappy in the first place. The biggest problem at AA is that it’s an opportunity lost from something that had a lot of potential.

But is the rest profitable/profitable enough to continue operations? Is it worth resources to chase or retain a "network" passenger even if at their "home" base it doesn't lend itself to profitability? Do you think it's "customer-orientated" to give your premium customers an inferior J product, no F product, and no premium lounge? I have to chuckle at the notion that DL listens to its unsatisfied customers. AA's problems are more on the cost side. Positive product changes won't directly help that.

I’m a bit confused by your post. Inferior J product, no F product and no premium lounge? AA is using 777s exclusively out of JFK, which offer a fairly competitive product. No F product? AA is the only airline that has a true first class anymore, on the transcons, to LHR and GRU, the markets that warrant it. No premium lounge? JFK was the first station to get a revamped Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining.

If you think the flagship lounge is a premium lounge, you my friend need to travel a bit more.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

NYCAAer

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:15 am

AEROFAN wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

But is the rest profitable/profitable enough to continue operations? Is it worth resources to chase or retain a "network" passenger even if at their "home" base it doesn't lend itself to profitability? Do you think it's "customer-orientated" to give your premium customers an inferior J product, no F product, and no premium lounge? I have to chuckle at the notion that DL listens to its unsatisfied customers. AA's problems are more on the cost side. Positive product changes won't directly help that.

I’m a bit confused by your post. Inferior J product, no F product and no premium lounge? AA is using 777s exclusively out of JFK, which offer a fairly competitive product. No F product? AA is the only airline that has a true first class anymore, on the transcons, to LHR and GRU, the markets that warrant it. No premium lounge? JFK was the first station to get a revamped Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining.

If you think the flagship lounge is a premium lounge, you my friend need to travel a bit more.

It’s alright in the context of U.S. carriers. No one expects AA’s lounges to be on the same level as Emirates, Singapore or even BA.

Antarius

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:40 am

AEROFAN wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

It's still a premium lounge. Nicer than most even. Globally

LHUSA

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:07 am

Antarius wrote:
N649DL wrote:
That said, despite residing in 2 UA hubs, I still won't get on a United flight voluntarily.

Thats a shame. You should give them a try again. They are a completely different company and experience these days. My 70 segments on them this year have all been pleasant. Friendly helpful crews and only one delay longer than 30 mins.

usairways787

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:33 am

Phoenix757767 wrote:

No we're not. We still haven't settled scope, work rules, or insurance. The biggest of them all. I don't know where you're getting your information from.

acentauri

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:36 am

Antarius wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

Umm no. PHL is a cesspool - operationally a cluster, mx is across the board and unquestionably the worst agents in the system. As an LAA flyer, my experience has significantly dropped post merger, not improved at all.

And you, as an admitted PASSENGER (previous posts), not employee, have insight into your highly derogatory AA MX (maintenance) and Operational claims at PHL? Also, you must fly to just about every airport that AA serves to come up with "the worst agents in the system". Suggest give the LAA rhetoric a rest, that airline is no more. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Antarius

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:54 am

acentauri wrote:
Antarius wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

And you, as an admitted PASSENGER (previous posts), not employee, have insight into your highly derogatory AA MX (maintenance) and Operational claims at PHL? Also, you must fly to just about every airport that AA serves to come up with "the worst agents in the system". Suggest give the LAA rhetoric a rest, that airline is no more. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I fly to a lot. See my signature for a sample of places.

This not an LAA vs LUS thing. It's just an opinion. I'll take CLT (which I am at multiple times a month, before you try to put words in my mouth) any day over the cesspool PHL (or ORD) If you think PHL is operationally or functionally successful and has good agents, well, that's a low standards problem. Shit, doesnt even have a flagship lounge.

But sure, why not nit pick my post vs the original one starting the whole LUS vs LAA thing (spoiler alert, LUS isnt an airline anymore either)

Phoenix757767

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:12 am

usairways787 wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

No we're not. We still haven't settled scope, work rules, or insurance. The biggest of them all. I don't know where you're getting your information from.

Yes they are, the NMB has issued a gag order. They’ve been negotiating for a month straight now , bet you didn’t know they were there last week also, and both full committees were summoned to DC to the NMB headquarters for a briefing. I can’t say details but it’s almost done. Negotiations will continue next week. My information comes from people in the room.

usairways787

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 am

Phoenix757767 wrote:
usairways787 wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Yes they are, the NMB has issued a gag order. They’ve been negotiating for a month straight now , bet you didn’t know they were there last week also, and both full committees were summoned to DC to the NMB headquarters for a briefing. I can’t say details but it’s almost done. Negotiations will continue next week. My information comes from people in the room.

Everyone's sources are in the room, I am very much aware there has been meetings with gag orders, I am very much aware of what was going on. Last week it was brought up in the updates work was being progressed on scope etc. I am actually in the "association" and I highly doubt your sources would actually break the gag order.

SQ22

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:04 am

Thread went off topic and will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos