Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlineguy1234
Topic Author

Former Walmart Exec Greg Foran to head Air New Zealand

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:23 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/116492 ... -executive

A former Kiwi himself. I don’t know what he knows about airlines but I think he did a good job at Walmart. He was instrumental in helping Doug McMillion push for improved customer service in the stores. I wish him the best of luck!

zkncj

Re: Former Walmart Exec Greg Foran to head Air New Zealand

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:08 pm

And with NZ being boarder line LCC, he'll be an great fit for an airline that loves to cut costs at every corner possible (although in saying that one of an handful of airlines that are still profitable on there own right).

Kiwirob

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:50 pm

He’s taking a huge pay cut, 20m NZD salary down to about 5m NZD.

RTNOBLE

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:03 pm

I've loved the customer experience and plush-ness of my international flights with Air New Zealand. How are they borderline LCC?

zkncj

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm

RTNOBLE wrote:
I've loved the customer experience and plush-ness of my international flights with Air New Zealand. How are they borderline LCC?

All short-haul / mid-haul (under 10hours) operate as an LLC, base fares on these routes include no bags, no food, no drinks, no movies, not seat selection etc

A320/321 are all Y with standard pitch 29-31” etc

Coexstud

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:59 pm

airlineguy1234 wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/116492634/air-new-zealand-appoints-greg-foran-as-new-chief-executive

A former Kiwi himself. I don’t know what he knows about airlines but I think he did a good job at Walmart. He was instrumental in helping Doug McMillion push for improved customer service in the stores. I wish him the best of luck!

Eeeew just eeeew just waiting for YouTube videos named the people of Air Kiwi

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:05 pm

zkncj wrote:
RTNOBLE wrote:

All short-haul / mid-haul (under 10hours) operate as an LLC, base fares on these routes include no bags, no food, no drinks, no movies, not seat selection etc

A320/321 are all Y with standard pitch 29-31” etc

LCC - low cost carrier.

Pi7472000

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:10 am

RTNOBLE wrote:

You are lucky! I flew Air New Zealand In premium and had one round of water delivered for a 12 to 13 hr. Flight after dinner service from LAX. FAs were not friendly and provided basic service. Boarding was chaotic. Was also on an old EVA 777. Maybe the 787 would have been nicer in premium. Cabin was also sweltering. I much preferred Delta on a 777 in regular coach. Delta had large bottled water and snacks available from SYD to LAX. There was nothing plush in premium economy for me. The flight from AKL to MEL was much nicer though on Air New Zealand. I would not fly them again unless they change their service to make it more premium.

melpax

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:20 am

An interesting article on Foran.

He ran the supermarket division of Woolworths in Australia, and moved to Wally World when he was passed over for the top job.

Looks like he used the same strategy at WalMart that he used at Woolworths (improving the instore experience) to counter the likes of Aldi, Aldi in Australia eventually had to remodel their stores to appear more upmarket in response. Certainly not your normal Wally World manager.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/comp ... 52zu7.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

moa999

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:11 am

Foran wasn't in charge of supermarkets long in Australia, spent longer as head of BigW (a discount department store also owned by Woolworths Australia - think of it as smaller Walmart without the food)

Agree the Woolworths and Walmart ethos leads more to LCC/ cost control than anything premium for AirNZ.

NYKiwi

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Sorry for my.blutness but some comments here urk me.....yes he worked for walmart but this means hes good at supply management not LCC......he has been in an executive position for a large company so can take those skills and apply but will not make NZ a LCC. Time and time we have these discussions and NZ competes with the likes on qantas and there multiple brand NZ has one and differentiates with these products effectively...

Will we see any dramatic change in direction NO he is not stupid and he is smart person and only one person there is still a board also.....

What do i expect is much of the same minor tweeks improvements etc NZ is still a great airline, provides good service above most other airlines

StrandedAtMKG

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Oh god. Within a year they'll have F/A's in polo shirts telling jokes over the intercom, 20-minute turns on shorthaul, and flights to tiny airports an hour from people's actual destination just like Walmart Air, er, Southwest.

continental004

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:21 pm

GAG. He best not Walmartize this airline; too many or American taxpayers’ dollars go to provide welfare benefits for too many of their employees while they refuse to pay a living wage or provide proper benefits.

NWADTWE16

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:49 pm

yeah I don't see this ending well, and for a well established, great airline too =-(
Anyone involved with the Walmart cult has definitely been injected with some kind of poison.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

ZK-NBT

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:33 am

A lot of emotion in some of the posts here.

Like most large organisations, unfortunately they are subject to the approval of the shareholders so it becomes all about profits, tbh the problem with this is then it becomes about a few people at the tops egos and pockets with the staff missing out often. It’s not like the old days where working for an airline was considered glamorous in many cases with a lot of different perks, sure there are still some.

I’m not really qualified to comment however I don’t follow what’s showing on in the US to much, a few questions.

-What airline experience does Foran have?
-Can running Walmart and Air NZ be considered similar?
-Who are we to judge?
-Shall we give the guy a chance first?

NZ is a well run business and has remained profitable ever since it was bailed out by the government in 2001, when again it was about ego and buying Ansett which was a bad move in the first place.

As for NZ being a LCC can we remember that the reason they make money short haul is partly because of the seats to suit product, there is plenty of competition on the Tasman and NZ lost money there for years previously with a full service offering. You can still buy a full fare and fly a nice 787/777 as opposed to an A320/321. You do have to make money to stay in business generally, NZ were fortunate to have the government step in and that still goes on with TG/MH/SA/GA who are basket cases and will continue to be due to ego.

smi0006

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:16 am

I actually think this is a great appointment, too often airline execs only know how to cut labour costs - and not invest in tools for operational efficiency, or customer experience. Or do an EY/QR and simply invest in the customer experience and no in the operation. They fail to bench mark against other industries and embrace true change. Foran strikes me as a man who will focus on prioritising operational tools and resilience, (as someone with dealing with NZ this isn’t their strong point). He will find the balance between operational efficiency and customer experience, whilst hopefully not going down the lazy path of trying to cut labour costs. NZ isn’t an LCC it’s highly strategic in offering differing products for each market. Anyone thinks it’s an LCC is just annoyed they can’t get works deluxe for the price of seat only. Seems like a great platform for a new CEO to build from.

When you actually consider an airline as a logistics company - moving people not merchandise, apply similar principles, the simplicity of it allows you to then focus on driving revenue through improved customer experience. When it becomes overly complicated and run by non-operational people or legacy airline managers who know nothing else, the operation suffers, and the focus moves away from creative and innovative customer experience.

Luzon was great - but his time was up, he started to focus too much big picture and lost the core strategy of running an airline, and to no ones surprise used his final 18months to position himself into politics. Foran has moved back to NZ to retire and will be solely focus on running an efficient airline.

lalib

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 am

Rupert Hogg Ex CEO of CX could also have been a good fit. I read that his wife is a Kiwi.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos