Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic

Re: Flybe to become Virgin Connect in 2020

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
crownvic wrote:
I make the journey from Orlando Florida twice a year to Newquay using Flybe on the connection. The previous LGW connections to Flybe were seamless. Now it requires a road trip to LHR to catch the Flybe flight and on the return an extra overnight stay near LGW as it is impossible to make the LGW MCO flight.

Is via MAN not an option?

sadly worse.

GCT64

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 am

What I find interesting, and I imagine worrying to a lot of regular commuters, is the lack of info on the busy non-LHR, non-MAN domestic business routes.
Just out of EDI, they have 7 daily to BHX, 4 daily to SOU, 4 daily to BHD (number of flights this coming Friday). There's a lot of people who rely on these flights for 1 day / 2 day business travel, and they surely must be profitable otherwise why would they operate so many flights?
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

TC957

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 am

GCT64 wrote:
What I find interesting, and I imagine worrying to a lot of regular commuters, is the lack of info on the busy non-LHR, non-MAN domestic business routes.
Just out of EDI, they have 7 daily to BHX, 4 daily to SOU, 4 daily to BHD (number of flights this coming Friday). There's a lot of people who rely on these flights for 1 day / 2 day business travel, and they surely must be profitable otherwise why would they operate so many flights?

I've been thinking along these lines too, like what the future of the SOU route network is especially.

DobboDobbo

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 am

crownvic wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
crownvic wrote:
I make the journey from Orlando Florida twice a year to Newquay using Flybe on the connection. The previous LGW connections to Flybe were seamless. Now it requires a road trip to LHR to catch the Flybe flight and on the return an extra overnight stay near LGW as it is impossible to make the LGW MCO flight.

Is via MAN not an option?

sadly worse.

Via AMS or CDG?!

Boeing74741R

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:43 am

jomur wrote:
So if Flybe/Virgin Connect is to feed domestically for Virgin at Man why are they cutting all the routes and have said they will cut more if people can go by car or the train, basically that is all UK domestic flights.

Cuts are inevitable given the airline has been a basket case for some time and the resources that will be freed up could well be more profitably used to support the LHR and MAN ambitions, however I don't recall them saying they will end all UK domestic flying (otherwise places such as BHD, IOM, ABZ and INV will be left with nothing). They're probably referring to routes such as BHX-GLA/EDI or MAN-SOU which are around 4hrs by train with direct options available. NQY-LHR won't be cut either as long as it remains a PSO route with all the funding that comes with it.

Cunard wrote:
By the time that Terminal 2 is expanded and Terminal 3 eventually closes the investment made by VS in their Clubhouse will be almost a decade old so again it's totally irrelevant.

It wouldn't surprise me if LHR contribute towards the cost of building a new Clubhouse in T2 given it's part of the plan to do away with T3.

JamesCousins

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:23 pm

GCT64 wrote:
There's a lot of people who rely on these flights for 1 day / 2 day business travel, and they surely must be profitable otherwise why would they operate so many flights?

Sadly this logic often doesn't stick with heavily in-debt airlines that have been around for a long time. I'm not saying there isn't demand for these flights, but Flybe must have a large number of unprofitable routes to have been losing so much money for so long. I agree, though, there is a concern over UK domestic routes now that a clearly greater focus is being placed on MAN. That being said, Virgin Connect will want to retain profitable routes outside of the London & Manchester focus cities, to build FF loyalty, and retain a strong presence - I can't see them cutting profitable routes, but I fear a lot of flights currently simply are not balancing the books
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

OA260

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:42 pm

FLYBE DISMISSES CLAIMS IT WILL AXE ALL DOMESTIC FLIGHTS

Flybe has dismissed reports that it plans to axe all domestic flights with strong UK train routes.

Flybe, which is to be rebranded as Virgin Connect next year after being taken over by the Connect Airways consortium of operators featuring Virgin Atlantic, spoke out following several media reports.

Virgin Atlantic’s customer experience chief, Mark Anderson, reportedly said at the Airlines 2050 summit in Westminster on Thursday (17 October) that regional airlines had “more to do” with regards to climate change.

www.ttgmedia.com/news/flybe-dismisses-c ... ghts-19740

Bhoy

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:40 pm

It seems Flybe training have just gotten a 737-800 simulator.

https://twitter.com/flybe/status/118664 ... 19681?s=21

Are they offering training to other Airlines (Yes, they do that anyway with their Dash8 and ERJ Sims), or is this a hint at a plan to seriously upgauge some feed at LHR?

jbs2886

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Bhoy wrote:

Are they offering training to other Airlines (Yes, they do that anyway with their Dash8 and ERJ Sims), or is this a hint at a plan to seriously upgauge some feed at LHR?

The "more details to follow" language seems to indicate there is news coming.

nighthawk

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Sadly this logic often doesn't stick with heavily in-debt airlines that have been around for a long time. I'm not saying there isn't demand for these flights, but Flybe must have a large number of unprofitable routes to have been losing so much money for so long

I think the logic is sound - you wouldn't operate a route 4x a day if its not profitable, you'd cut back to 2/3 flights a day for a start.

There's a lot more to Flybe than just their domestic operation. They also operate a lot of flights to Spain and France aimed at holiday makers. Do they not also do contract flying within Europe for SAS, and perhaps some other operators? That, along with management bloat, may well contribute significantly to their losses, also lets not forget the failed expansion into the Scottish Isles a few years back - that will have cost them heavily.

Flybe need to be a little bit careful on their domestic strategy. They used to be the main player in the UK domestic market, with just Eastern and bmi regional targeting a few select business routes, and Loganair targeting the Scottish Island flights. But now Loganair are expanding quite aggressively, taking on the former bmi routes plus a few new ones. They are rapidly starting to become a major player in the UK domestic market. If flybe isnt careful they'll find themselves having competition on a few routes, where previously they had a monopoly.

SASViking

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm

nighthawk wrote:
Sadly this logic often doesn't stick with heavily in-debt airlines that have been around for a long time. I'm not saying there isn't demand for these flights, but Flybe must have a large number of unprofitable routes to have been losing so much money for so long

I think the logic is sound - you wouldn't operate a route 4x a day if its not profitable, you'd cut back to 2/3 flights a day for a start.

There's a lot more to Flybe than just their domestic operation. They also operate a lot of flights to Spain and France aimed at holiday makers. Do they not also do contract flying within Europe for SAS, and perhaps some other operators? That, along with management bloat, may well contribute significantly to their losses, also lets not forget the failed expansion into the Scottish Isles a few years back - that will have cost them heavily.

Flybe need to be a little bit careful on their domestic strategy. They used to be the main player in the UK domestic market, with just Eastern and bmi regional targeting a few select business routes, and Loganair targeting the Scottish Island flights. But now Loganair are expanding quite aggressively, taking on the former bmi routes plus a few new ones. They are rapidly starting to become a major player in the UK domestic market. If flybe isnt careful they'll find themselves having competition on a few routes, where previously they had a monopoly.

This summer, FlyBe announced that they've cancelled their contract with SAS. They've already removed 2 of their 5 ATR's from the ARN operations and the remaining 3 will operate until early 2020.
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

SEU

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Bhoy wrote:

Very interesting, there are a lot of second hand 737NGs from Jet and others around. Maybe to add quick jets into the fleet before they order some A220s?

JamesCousins

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:52 pm

Bhoy wrote:

There really has to have been some serious work going on behind the scenes and this must surely signal some 737 operation for BE/Connect...
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

bmibaby737

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:54 pm

Wouldn't read into that; the airline has long provided training and maintenance to other companies. Probably just investing in making that a more profitable part of the business. There's not a huge amount of airlines wanting ERJ or Q400 training.

leghorn

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:02 pm

https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airport ... a-124.html

move along now. nothing to see here.

SEU

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:13 pm

"The Boeing B738 simulator is nothing to do with Flybe, and is owned by a private company who are renting the spare space from Flybe. They use the 738 sim to offer flight experiences and is owned and run by a former TUI pilot." - from the other forum.

Mad how you can run off with ideas lol

Apparently Flybe and Loganair have a new partnership
https://www.loganair.co.uk/uk-regional- ... agreement/

I am happy this is back! Virgin are really going for the UK market here. With the right marketing across the country, people will start going "Easyjet, ryanair, virgin or BA" for their standard airlines.

jbs2886

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:20 pm

SEU wrote:
"The Boeing B738 simulator is nothing to do with Flybe, and is owned by a private company who are renting the spare space from Flybe. They use the 738 sim to offer flight experiences and is owned and run by a former TUI pilot." - from the other forum.

Mad how you can run off with ideas lol

I am happy this is back! Virgin are really going for the UK market here. With the right marketing across the country, people will start going "Easyjet, ryanair, virgin or BA" for their standard airlines.

Then why in the world is Flybe tweeting about it?

JannEejit

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 pm

SEU wrote:

Loganair are also picking up several ex Flybe routes to Newquay which may be of interest to Crownvic as he could fly MCO-GLA on a Virgin 744, and transfer onto Loganair's Glasgow-Newquay service.

Boeing74741R

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:33 am

Looks like larger aircraft will be acquired at some point, but they appear to be non-committal with timescales at this stage...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... r-aircraft

pdp

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 am

Boeing74741R wrote:
Looks like larger aircraft will be acquired at some point, but they appear to be non-committal with timescales at this stage...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... r-aircraft

FlyBE do some relatively popular routes down to France and the like during summer. Perhaps they want some of the ex-TCX market?

Cunard

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 am

What ex-TCX market in France are you referring to?

TCX did not have a presence or any market from the UK to France.

Flybe have discontinued several of those ''popular'' routes down to France from several UK airport's recently including the ''popular'' routes from Southampton to La Rochelle, Nantes and Rennes.

I don't see where you get ''ex-TCX market'' and the Flybe routes to France being similar.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

pdp

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:47 am

Cunard wrote:

Flybe have discontinued several of those ''popular'' routes down to France from several UK airport's recently including the ''popular'' routes from Southampton to La Rochelle, Nantes and Rennes.

I don't see where you get ''ex-TCX market'' and the Flybe routes to France being similar.

They're running out of aircraft is one reason. My parents went on a couple of full flights to and from Bordeaux. It went from E-Jets to Q400s as BE got rid of the 195s.

The trains of thought weren't one and the same, but Virgin is a holiday airline primarily and there's space in the market for a well-established name to take on Jet2 and TUI.

OA260

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 am

Flybe to expand Belfast to London City link over peak winter period

FLYBE is expand its Belfast to London air link over Christmas.

The airline has said an extra aircraft will be added to the Belfast City Airport to London City Airport route from the start of December. The plane, a 98-seat E190 aircraft sourced from Connect Airways' partner, Stobart Air.

Connect is the UK consortium formed by Virgin and Stobart last winter to acquire Flybe. The regional airline will officially be rebranded Virgin Connect next year.

www.irishnews.com/business/2019/10/30/n ... d-1751763/

Cunard

Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:36 am

pdp wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Flybe have discontinued several of those ''popular'' routes down to France from several UK airport's recently including the ''popular'' routes from Southampton to La Rochelle, Nantes and Rennes. Pp

They're running out of aircraft is one reason. My parents went on a couple of full flights to and from Bordeaux. It went from E-Jets to Q400s as BE got rid of the 195s.

The trains of thought weren't one and the same, but Virgin is a holiday airline primarily and there's space in the market for a well-established name to take on Jet2 and TUI.

Do you remember VIRGIN SUN?

They are ''running out of aircraft'' for a reason, they are downsizing and getting rid of expensive aircraft such as the EMB190!

Virgin are or more to the point were primarily a holiday airline but I don't see Virgin Holidays offering holidays in the Dordogne and the Loire Valley alongside their current offering to Orlando and Disney World, the Caribbean Islands plus Caribbean Cruises, The Mayan Peninsula or City Breaks in such places as Hong Kong or New York, Etc.

Virgin Connect will more or less remain as such and hopefully we're see an order for new replacement aircraft and a gradual growth in destinations but I don't forsee Virgin returning to the European inclusive tour market as your suggesting.

It may well be the case that further down the road Virgin Connect might work with Virgin Holidays but I don't think that's a priority at the moment and if they did it would only be on a small scale. Again not in the way that your suggesting.

People are used to dynamic booking, there is no need for Virgin to re-enter the short haul inclusive tour market ''again''.

What Virgin Connect needs to do is to focus on it's core business and in the future open up more business and leisure destinations such as CPH, FCO, FRA, MAD, MUC, ZRH, adding to their current European destinations such as AMS, CDG, DUB.

Virgin Connect should concentrate on a good domestic offering plus major European business and leisure routes not holiday flights throughout Europe!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

downtown273

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:03 am

OA260 wrote:

The airline has said an extra aircraft will be added to the Belfast City Airport to London City Airport route from the start of December. The plane, a 98-seat E190 aircraft sourced from Connect Airways' partner, Stobart Air.

Great news! Will the E190 be based at BHD or at LCY?

GCT64

Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am

downtown273 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Great news! Will the E190 be based at BHD or at LCY?

2 E190s coming, one for BHD (as mentioned above) and one for EDI:

"the business has entered into a wet lease agreement with Stobart Air for two E190 aircraft.....These aircraft will operate on the heavily subscribed routes into London City providing enhancements to our corporate markets from both locations.One E190 aircraft will be based at each of those locations [BHD and EDI], operating throughout the winter schedule from 01 December 2019."
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

GCT64

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:46 pm

TC957 wrote:
GCT64 wrote:

I've been thinking along these lines too, like what the future of the SOU route network is especially.

We can now some of the answers for 2020 and beyond, and as we suspected the busy domestic commuter routes seem to be OK (despite being non-LHR and non-MAN routes)

Flybe have announced for Summer 2020: https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1715

SOUTHAMPTON: Increased frequency – Edinburgh (to 5 daily with new early morning departure); Newcastle (to 4 daily); Paris Charles de Gaulle (to 3 daily Mon-Fri and twice daily on Sundays)
BIRMINGHAM: Improved timings and Ejet service to Edinburgh at peak travel times; Adjusted timings giving three departures to Glasgow between 1630-2005

jbs2886

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:54 pm

GCT64 wrote:
TC957 wrote:
GCT64 wrote:

We can now some of the answers for 2020 and beyond, and as we suspected the busy domestic commuter routes seem to be OK (despite being non-LHR and non-MAN routes)

Flybe have announced for Summer 2020: https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1715

SOUTHAMPTON: Increased frequency – Edinburgh (to 5 daily with new early morning departure); Newcastle (to 4 daily); Paris Charles de Gaulle (to 3 daily Mon-Fri and twice daily on Sundays)
BIRMINGHAM: Improved timings and Ejet service to Edinburgh at peak travel times; Adjusted timings giving three departures to Glasgow between 1630-2005

Here is a list of discontinued routes for Summer 2020. https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... MjElMjE%3D

8herveg

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:00 pm

What were the routes to Bangor International?!

seansasLCY

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:14 pm

8herveg wrote:

The thinking is they have got confused with BIA airport code. Which is actually Biarritz.

digitalcloud

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:35 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
8herveg wrote:

The thinking is they have got confused with BIA airport code. Which is actually Biarritz.

BIA is Bastia, not Biarritz.

The press release should have said Bergerac instead of Bangor.

seansasLCY

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:44 pm

digitalcloud wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
8herveg wrote:

BIA is Bastia, not Biarritz.

The press release should have said Bergerac instead of Bangor.

Oops. Thanks!

dstblj52

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:35 am

Just a few thoughts, it seems to be another step in aligning the products transatlantic, IE Virgin Connect and Delta Connections, seems to be the plan is localization of a fairly standardized naming and maybe in the future product portfolio. I would expect someone from 9E, OO XY, or DCI to come over and help in terms of regional feed scheduling and operations, because it is a real challenge to have to deal with all those outstations and parts positioning, plus aligning schedules so you can both feed in and out of airports, especially slot controlled airport's.

baje427

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:39 am

Any idea when the first bird will head into the paint shop?

crownvic

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:03 pm

There was talk this week and an announcement that service between London Heathrow and Newquay was also being discontinued with a shift from Newquay to Southend. However, I don’t see the Newquay - LHR service on the list of discontinued routes..

Can anyone confirm that the summer schedule will include Newquay- LHR?

Cunard

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:28 pm

crownvic wrote:
There was talk this week and an announcement that service between London Heathrow and Newquay was also being discontinued with a shift from Newquay to Southend. However, I don’t see the Newquay - LHR service on the list of discontinued routes..

Can anyone confirm that the summer schedule will include Newquay- LHR?

According to Cornwalllive.com Flybe customers have been informed that flights between Newquay and London Heathrow will cease at the end of the winter IATA season on the 28 March 2020 and be replaced from the 29 March 2020 with a new service from Newquay to London Southend.

Flights will be operated by Flybe (Virgin Connect) partner Stobart Air.

Instead of the current four daily flights between Newquay and London Heathrow there will be four flights a week between Newquay and London Southend.

Days of operation of the Newquay to London Southend service will be on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday with departures ex Newquay between 16.30 and 17.00.

Going from four daily flights between Newquay and London Heathrow to just four flights a week between Newquay and London Southend is a big drop in capacity.

With the recent news regarding the cesation of flights between London Heathrow and the Isle of Man and this latest news regarding flights between Newquay and London Heathrow it says alot about regional connectivity from London's premier airport. The chairman of Heathrow Airport Limited made a big deal about regional connectivity with his forecasts regarding the potential third runway.

With the growth of long haul by Virgin Atlantic at London Heathrow I guess that they had to find the slots somewhere and it's fairly obvious that both the Isle of Man and Newquay are casualties of this.

IrishLessor

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:47 am

The NQY LHR route;
Are there any stats to show the proportion of pax who make a connection? Naturally, there well be pax doing own connections, but stats relating to actual connecting pax?
In reality if the bulk of pax are point to point, then LHR is less than favourable given high taxes, in which case Flybe would be better at another airport where taxes are lower. That said SEN is a gamble.
After subsidising a London route it now seems unfair that Flybe have walked away from LGW and now axe LHR. NQY does need a frequent reliable service to London as current services were well subscribed.
History repeats itself, we've seen time and time again how UK domestics ex LHR are dropped in favour of something else, examples include Manx IOM route, Brymon/BA Express Plymouth and NQY, Guernsey which was at a point Flybes (as JEA) single daily LHR, Jersey etc.

crownvic

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:15 am

Its really sad for all those passengers who relied on Flybe to get them to either London airport. This presents real logistics issues to and from Newquay for anyone trying to connect internationally.

A380MSN004

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:59 am

With all those discontinued routes + frequencies réduction, will Flybe will have an aircraft overcapacity ?

cornishsimon

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:36 am

I suspect the Nqy-LHR route will continue.

The route is a pso so wouldn’t be at all easy to cancel and they wouldn’t be able to use the slots for other heathrow services as I think they came via central government from the BA remedy slot pool

Interesting to note however that assuming the route does continue that Nqy would require a second based dh8 as the current unit seems to take on revised timings for Manchester with a 0645 ex Nqy meaning no aircraft at newquay to operate to heathrow.

cs

DobboDobbo

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:04 pm

If NQY-LHR is shifted, it continues to drive a coach and horses through HHL’s arguments that it can deliver regional UK connectivity In a third runway scenario (which has been roundly discredited anyway).

Even with ringfenced slots, a long haul network to connect into and a reasonable subsidy, it doesn’t work at LHR - it it too expensive and that won’t change if they have to finance another expensive piece of infrastructure.

TC957

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Galileo GDS shows no NQY - LHR after 28 Mar, so the route is a gonner for sure. NQY - SEN seems an oddball route to me, at least NQY - LCY would have been better surely.

Boeing74741R

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
With all those discontinued routes + frequencies réduction, will Flybe will have an aircraft overcapacity ?

There shouldn’t be as the remaining Embraer 190’s are exiting the fleet and likewise with some of the 170’s.

jomur

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:41 pm

TC957 wrote:
Galileo GDS shows no NQY - LHR after 28 Mar, so the route is a gonner for sure. NQY - SEN seems an oddball route to me, at least NQY - LCY would have been better surely.

and the slot probably conveniently given to VS/DL...

RyanairGuru

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:08 pm

NQY is a PSO route. I doubt it's "gone" until there is a press release saying so. They're probably renegotiating the contract or some such.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

cornishsimon

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Correct. The heathrow to newquay is a pso route. Renewed last year with ringfenced slots at LHR to allow x4 daily arrivals and x4 daily departures.

The route has been performing well with calls from the local community to either swap some of the rotations with LGW or to run x4 lhr and x2 lgw

Let’s watch this space

But I very much think something will be announced. The Nqy flybe schedules currently published is far from complete

cs

ZuluTime

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:54 pm

The LHR slots are not ringfenced - that statement is completely untrue.

The slots were available to Flybe through the remedy slot mechanism as a result of Flybe picking up those slots tied to ABZ and EDI under the BA/bmi competition remedies. The slots could only be accessed by Flybe, but they can be used on any short-haul route. Ring-fencing would mean they could only be used on the Newquay route, where they could be used on any short-haul route. If Flybe chose, they could discontinue NQY-LHR and use the slots for a 4 x daily MAN-LHR. I'm not saying that is what they are going to do, but the slots are absolutely not tied to NQY.

Part of the question has to be why the Newquay route is still a PSO when no subsidy has been drawn for the last couple of years. However, if it ceases to be a PSO, it ceases to be exempt from Air Passenger Duty which is a real dilemma - the APD exemption probably means that no subsidy is needed.

JannEejit

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:58 pm

But weren't Virgin Little Red restricted to only ABZ, EDI and MAN when they took on the remedy routes ?

ZuluTime

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:18 am

Little Red flew ABZ and EDI on the bmi remedy slots. MAN was flown on Virgin Atlantic slots which had been on lease to other carriers.

The slots on ABZ and EDI are locked to those routes until the operator has flown them for six consecutive seasons, after which they can move them to any other short-haul route* of their choosing. [That marker is reached by Flybe in March 2020.] If you flew the route-specific remedy slots, you could then request any other unused remedy slots for a short-haul route of your choosing, which is how Flybe got those slots and decided to fly them on NQY-LHR. The slots are not "locked" to that route but can only be used for short-haul*.

* - the bmi remedy slots could also be used on Cairo, Riyadh and Jeddah which are not technically short-haul services, but were available options. Not really relevant for Flybe though!

UAL777UK

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:10 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
NQY is a PSO route. I doubt it's "gone" until there is a press release saying so. They're probably renegotiating the contract or some such.

I really hope it stays. Cornwall need to fight to keep the flight going into LHR or at the least LGW. Why on earth they would go to SEN is lost on me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos