PHLBOS
Topic Author

On Their Own, Delta Provides Charter Flight to 'Stranded' Cross-Country Team

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Airline rescues Ocean City High School cross-country team after its flight out of Philly was canceled

Key Excerpts From the Philadelphia Inquirer article (Bold emphasis added):

As Frank Fabi sprinted across the 5K finish line of Disney’s Cross Country Classic on Saturday, helping secure first place for his team, he forgot for a few moments that less than 14 hours earlier he and his 68 teammates were stranded about 983 miles from the starting line.

The 17-year-old senior and the 78 other people traveling with the Ocean City High School boys’ and girls’ cross-country teams — including coaches and teammates’ families — came to Philadelphia on Thursday to head to Orlando, Fla., for Disney’s invitational race at the ESPN Wide World of Sports. It was a trip for which they had spent two years raising funds.

But then their Frontier Airlines flight was canceled due to bad weather and the earliest Frontier could get them to Orlando was Wednesday.
No airline could get the group to Orlando by Saturday morning, so the group called for their bus and headed for the exit, accepting they would miss the race. But then the coaches were chased down by two Delta Air Lines representatives with good news: Delta would fly a private plane into Philadelphia and charter the team members to their race.
Delta operations personnel found an available plane and crew members to fly a McDonnell-Douglas MD-88 from Atlanta to Philadelphia exclusively for the team — Delta does not fly from Philadelphia to Orlando. Frontier officials worked with Delta to transfer the team’s tickets and the group was not charged any additional fees.
This is not the first time Delta has helped out a group of students. In June, Delta used a spare aircraft to fly 41 Oklahoma City fifth graders to Washington, D.C., after their American Airlines flight was canceled last minute.

“It speaks to the mind-set of Delta people,” said Castañeda. “If they see the opportunity to do something right, it doesn’t matter if you’re a Delta customer or not.”

Certainly good PR for DL.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

IWMBH

Re: On their Own, Delta Provides Charter Flight to 'Stranded' Cross-Country Team

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:50 pm

A win-win, great PR for Delta and a good solution for the stranded team. Good move from Delta.

rj777

Re: On Their Own, Delta Provides Charter Flight to 'Stranded' Cross-Country Team

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Way to go Delta! Now I know (yet another reason) why I fly them so frequently!

PI4EVR

Re: On Their Own, Delta Provides Charter Flight to 'Stranded' Cross-Country Team

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:29 pm

A hub city for AA with likely a spare airplane, a crew base and staff and yet not even a mindset to pursue this situation for some very positive publicity it sorely needs right now. They likely worried they wouldn't get the tickets paid over from F9.
Come on AA show you have some Philly "Brotherly Love" and a can do attitude.
This group will repay DL by word of mouth for years to come. And maybe buy a few tickets on DL as life goes on.

Phoenix757767

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:31 pm

You do realize AA has 24 737 Max’s grounded and are canceling 95 flights a day, yes it’s easy to believe their isn’t slack in the fleet.

SDFguy

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 pm

It seems like Delta is the only airline you ever hear about going above and beyond like this to help passengers stranded due to another airline. It's definitely a culture thing. That's why I fly Delta whenever possible, even if it costs slightly more.

MIflyer12

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
You do realize AA has 24 737 Max’s grounded and are canceling 95 flights a day, yes it’s easy to believe their isn’t slack in the fleet.

They've got 1,400 other mainline and Eagle aircraft. AA ops were poor before the MAX grounding and before the Mechanics' discontent.

Separately, no doubt Frontier's fares were appealing for whomever specified (booked?) this routing vs. other non-stops. Frequency and ops reliability have value. YTD August '19 Frontier was ranked tenth of ten marketing carriers by the DOT in on-time ops. (DL was number two; AA number seven.)

chepos

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 pm

F9 cancels a flight, DL gets good PR. Yet certain posters trying to male the thread about AA. Waiting on someone to blame the peril of these passengers on AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

sonicruiser

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:57 pm

If only Delta did this for their passengers too.
"Martin Luther King wasn't assassinated because he was dreaming. He was assassinated because he woke up."-Louis Farrakhan

Dieuwer

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:01 pm

And why did Frontier not charter a private plane and fly the group to Orlando??

9w748capt

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:11 pm

chepos wrote:
F9 cancels a flight, DL gets good PR. Yet certain posters trying to male the thread about AA. Waiting on someone to blame the peril of these passengers on AA.

Well there's the minor detail of this happening before. I believe it was sometime in the past year that a school group was stranded in OKC thanks to AA not giving even half of a crap, and DL stepped in. If only DL had a more robust network out of OKC, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

IPFreely

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:14 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

No kidding. Delta cancelled 24 Connection and 3 mainline flights yesterday. Where were the rescue flights for those passengers?

If I were a loyal DL customer on one of these 24 flights I’d be pretty ticked off that DL will rescue stranded Frontier passengers as a PR stunt while stranding their own customers.

balz18

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Oh look... A post not having anything to do with AA and people flock out of the wood-work to bash AA... We get it, you hate AA, some of us don't (I go out of my way to fly with them) but you don't hear us bashing DL or whatever airline at every turn. Move on. Sorry PHLBOS didn't mean to stray from your original post just tired of people changing the topic and stuff...
Last edited by balz18 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First class or no class...

usflyer msp

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm not going to bash DL for doing something nice. I do think that repeatedly doing this is going to cause passengers to have unrealistic expectations and eventually create a backlash worse the good PR.

Phoenix757767

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

They've got 1,400 other mainline and Eagle aircraft. AA ops were poor before the MAX grounding and before the Mechanics' discontent.

Separately, no doubt Frontier's fares were appealing for whomever specified (booked?) this routing vs. other non-stops. Frequency and ops reliability have value. YTD August '19 Frontier was ranked tenth of ten marketing carriers by the DOT in on-time ops. (DL was number two; AA number seven.)

AA doesn’t have 1,400 planes available at all times. Many are in heavy maintenance and are dedicated to flights. They even had to postpone the retiring of A320s, 757s, 738s and A330-300s to maintain current flights. AA just retired 24 MD80s and a few 763s. The fleet is running very tight and operations are running better now.

Airbus has delayed delivery of five A321neos due to manufacturing issues this year. AA has 942 mainline planes. I seriously doubt their are 500 RJs and AA doesn’t own all their regional partners either.
Last edited by Phoenix757767 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elementalism

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm

IPFreely wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

No kidding. Delta cancelled 24 Connection and 3 mainline flights yesterday. Where were the rescue flights for those passengers?

If I were a loyal DL customer on one of these 24 flights I’d be pretty ticked off that DL will rescue stranded Frontier passengers as a PR stunt while stranding their own customers.

I'd guess on the next available Delta flight in a few hours is the rescue flight for those passengers.

flflyer

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Probably helps DL has a private jet fleet.

Phoenix757767

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:22 pm

flflyer wrote:

The MD88 is not in their private jet fleet.

Piepilot

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:30 pm

What about the other pax form the cancelled f9 flight, were they offered a seat on this flight as well?

Miami

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Does everything have to involve AA nowadays? Quit the hate.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Another fine a.net post with a lot of quality responses.
This is another haters going to hate thread. (for F9, DL, and AA)

fraspotter

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 pm

chepos wrote:

PHL is an AA hub so of course AA would be brought up for not stepping forward. Instead they had their rival go above and beyond by flying in a plane all the way from ATL for these kids. Regardless of what people want to say about DL's motivations in doing this, in the end it was AA who was caught napping and DL got some excellent PR in the court of public opinion. Lack of spare plane in PHL or not, it doesn't matter to the general public (their customer base). They'll wonder why DL was able to fly in a plane but AA couldn't.
Last edited by fraspotter on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

AWACSooner

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 pm

9w748capt wrote:
chepos wrote:

Well there's the minor detail of this happening before. I believe it was sometime in the past year that a school group was stranded in OKC thanks to AA not giving even half of a crap, and DL stepped in. If only DL had a more robust network out of OKC, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Find me any airline that has a robust network out of OKC...and WN doesn't count, as they're stupidly dropping their DAL flights soon.

Phoenix757767

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:04 pm

fraspotter wrote:
chepos wrote:

PHL is an AA hub so of course AA would be brought up for not stepping forward. Instead they had their rival go above and beyond by flying in a plane all the way from ATL for these kids. Regardless of what people want to say about DL's motivations in doing this, in the end it was AA who was caught napping and DL got some excellent PR in the court of public opinion. Lack of spare plane in PHL or not, it doesn't matter to the general public (their customer base). They'll wonder why DL was able to fly in a plane but AA couldn't.

Nothing to do with AA. Read my previous post. It’s F9s responsibility to handle it, not AA
Last edited by Phoenix757767 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SL1200MK2

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Not to divert too much, but it’s fascinating to see folks take criticism of an airline personally.

9w748capt

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:36 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
chepos wrote:

Find me any airline that has a robust network out of OKC...and WN doesn't count, as they're stupidly dropping their DAL flights soon.

Sadly, AA has taken the lead as far as the legacies go. It's actually quite impressive how much AA has added. PHL and DCA in the past year, and MIA starting this December. No other legacy comes close.

usflyer msp

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:45 pm

fraspotter wrote:
chepos wrote:

AA does not have anything to do with this. No one, outside of this website, is going to think anything about AA regarding this incident. Get real.

fraspotter

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
fraspotter wrote:
chepos wrote:

Nothing to do with AA. Read my previous post. It’s F9s responsibility to handle it, not AA

You're right. AA had nothing to do with this. But if they had any sense of proactiveness or customer service in their business culture then they SHOULD have been involved. They could have been portrayed as heros at F9's expense but instead both F9 and AA are viewed as schmucks with DL getting the glory. This is about how the general public views this. They'll blame both airlines. F9 for not being able to get the kids to their destination until 4 days after they actually needed to be there and AA for letting DL walk all over them in their own hub.
Last edited by fraspotter on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:58 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Not to divert too much, but it’s fascinating to see folks take criticism of an airline personally.

Isn't? It's almost like you're insulting their favorite sports team.

I'll never understand fanboys or haters of certain airlines. I'm looking for the cheapest, most direct, most comfortable airline possible that's going where I need to go. Living in PHX, that's usually WN or AA. I don't dislike either of them nor do I have some sort of rabid affection for them either.

fraspotter

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:59 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
fraspotter wrote:
chepos wrote:

AA does not have anything to do with this. No one, outside of this website, is going to think anything about AA regarding this incident. Get real.

If you really think a.net members have a monopoly on knowing that PHL is a hub for AA then you're just being naïve. It's like walking into downtown Atlanta and people not knowing that DL is the big game in town or into Dallas and not knowing about AA or WN. They're everywhere. Knowledgeable in aviation or not you'll know about them.

alasizon

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:34 pm

SDFguy wrote:
It seems like Delta is the only airline you ever hear about going above and beyond like this to help passengers stranded due to another airline. It's definitely a culture thing. That's why I fly Delta whenever possible, even if it costs slightly more.

It isn't a culture thing, it is a PR thing. DL chose to step up for the chance at some more good PR.

All the airlines do try to protect groups but for whatever reason it doesn't always work out.

It's worth pointing out that this high school team chose to fly F9 at a bargain price. Had they chosen to fly AA or DL from the start, even if a cancellation had occurred, they would have likely been protected on the next flight and other pax re-routed.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

fraspotter

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 pm

alasizon wrote:
SDFguy wrote:

It isn't a culture thing, it is a PR thing. DL chose to step up for the chance at some more good PR.

All the airlines do try to protect groups but for whatever reason it doesn't always work out.

It's worth pointing out that this high school team chose to fly F9 at a bargain price. Had they chosen to fly AA or DL from the start, even if a cancellation had occurred, they would have likely been protected on the next flight and other pax re-routed.

Easier said then done. It was mentioned that it was a larger group that had been fund raising for 2 years. You take what you can get.

usflyer msp

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 pm

fraspotter wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
fraspotter wrote:

If you really think a.net members have a monopoly on knowing that PHL is a hub for AA then you're just being naïve. It's like walking into downtown Atlanta and people not knowing that DL is the big game in town or into Dallas and not knowing about AA or WN. They're everywhere. Knowledgeable in aviation or not you'll know about them.

You are in another world if you believe the general public believes that DL helping F9 passengers out somehow reflects badly upon AA. They barely know what day it is.

DLASFlyer

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Delta seems unstoppable these days. From a customer's perspective it is an impeccably run business.
Last edited by DLASFlyer on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

litz

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Delta has done this several times ... good stuff, good people, good PR, just good all around.

Wait, wasn't that a slogan?

tlecam

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:

This.

DL did something great for some good PR and I admire them for it. I'm kind of curious how they even found out about it at PHL. Maybe social media?

Anyway, it's not a knock on AA just because PHL is an AA hub. If I do a favor for a friend 1 in friend 2's home, my favor for friend 1 doesn't make friend 2 a jerk.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

EMB170

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Two things here:

(1) Good on DL for taking care of these folks. They do, as many have said, have (at least in my experience) more of a corporate culture designed to empower employees to go above and beyond. Not saying it doesn't happen at AA or UA, but DL stepped up in this case.

(2) Before everyone starts using this thread to bash AA, AA's ops, its PHL hub, or its leadership, let me add an extra piece of knowledge to this situation (that those of you who fly out of PHL regularly already know) which is the reason DL stepped up and AA didn't probably has little to do with the fact that AA's fleet is stretched so thin and everything to do with the fact that AA managers probably never heard of this situation in the first place. In PHL, DL and F9 share a ticket lobby (D), so it's likely that DL managers at the check in desks next door overheard the whole situation and looked into what they could do to help. With the hub being here, AA has no check in positions in D (they're all in A-West, A-East, B, C, and F, which are in separate terminals) so AA probably had no clue that this whole situation even transpired.

Think about ATL for a moment. Imagine that NK cancel's a group's flight to a destination that they'd been planning to travel to for a year. AA (or UA or WN) steps up and gets the group where they need to go. Is it that DL sat on its hands and didn't care? No...it's simply because DL's ticket lobby and check--in desks are on the complete opposite side of the airport and they had no knowledge of what was happening, while the AA ticket counters (or UA or WN) are right next to NK's and their managers probably saw everything.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

MSPNWA

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 pm

SDFguy wrote:

You've highlighted the whole point of the flight. It's not out of the goodness of their hearts (culture). If it was, there would be no desire to splash it all over the media. It's about PR (money). They're hoping you seize on a false perception.

As the article said that DL reps found out on social media, I suspect that DL has a social media team that looks for PR opportunities such as this.

Austin787

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:22 pm

That flight is also an opportunity to build future loyalty. Those teens parents (some may travel regularly for work) could book future flights on Delta. Plus, when those teens become adults they will look back and remember Delta rescued them in time for their race, and choose Delta for their air travels.

WayexTDI

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:47 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
SDFguy wrote:

You've highlighted the whole point of the flight. It's not out of the goodness of their hearts (culture). If it was, there would be no desire to splash it all over the media. It's about PR (money). They're hoping you seize on a false perception.

As the article said that DL reps found out on social media, I suspect that DL has a social media team that looks for PR opportunities such as this.

Remember that airlines are private (i.e. for-profit) companies and in no way philanthropies. So, they killed 2 birds with one stone:
- "rescued" the stranded PAX;
- got good PR out of it.
What's wrong with that?

WayexTDI

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:48 pm

alasizon wrote:
SDFguy wrote:

But isn't PR "stunts" part of a company's culture? DL did those kids a favor, and got good PR out of it; what's wrong with that?

MSPNWA

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:58 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Remember that airlines are private (i.e. for-profit) companies and in no way philanthropies. So, they killed 2 birds with one stone:
- "rescued" the stranded PAX;
- got good PR out of it.
What's wrong with that?

I just told you what's wrong with it. It's not the act, which is noble, it's the intent, which taints the act.

When I go the extra mile for customer A, I don't publicly announce it and pat myself on the back so customers X/Y/Z hear it and hopefully buy more from me. I do it for customer A, not for X/Y/Z. In this case, the team was a pawn. Was it because DL cared about them? Or was it because they cared about displaying it to the public? The evidence is clear.

BroadwayLimited

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Oh good grief. The joys of social media/forums. Delta does something nice for a group of kids, and everybody can't wait to find something negative. Disgusting.
Signed up for Delta and Eastern Frequent Flyer Programs August 30, 1981.

freakyrat

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:39 pm

flflyer wrote:

Delta has spare capacity MD88's and B717's that they substitute for Rj's in various NCAA football towns they serve during college football season. They do have a corporate charter jet fleet of various size corporate jet aircraft known as Delta Private Jets. This is good PR for Delta.

freakyrat

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 pm

[url][/url]
BroadwayLimited wrote:
Oh good grief. The joys of social media/forums. Delta does something nice for a group of kids, and everybody can't wait to find something negative. Disgusting.

A few weeks ago I was at Dallas Love Field waiting to catch a Southwest flight down to Houston Hobby. There was a family in the gate area that had a whiney toddler that wouldn't stop screaming and crying. After a few minutes a nice Southwest Gate agent ran over to the family with a Southwest cookie pack or some kind of snack, handed it to the toddler who all of a sudden became quiet . He then said "Ladies and Gentleman Southwest Airlines to the rescue. Everyone clapped and cheered and that was the end of the story. So yes airlines do do nice things.

GoingforGreAAt

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:50 pm

PI4EVR wrote:
A hub city for AA with likely a spare airplane, a crew base and staff and yet not even a mindset to pursue this situation for some very positive publicity it sorely needs right now. They likely worried they wouldn't get the tickets paid over from F9.
Come on AA show you have some Philly "Brotherly Love" and a can do attitude.
This group will repay DL by word of mouth for years to come. And maybe buy a few tickets on DL as life goes on.

Absolutely comical response with regards to AA. A spare in PHL? Good one. If there’s an unlinked aircraft it’s because it’s out of service.

tlecam

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:07 am

EMB170 wrote:
Two things here:

(1) Good on DL for taking care of these folks. They do, as many have said, have (at least in my experience) more of a corporate culture designed to empower employees to go above and beyond. Not saying it doesn't happen at AA or UA, but DL stepped up in this case.

(2) Before everyone starts using this thread to bash AA, AA's ops, its PHL hub, or its leadership, let me add an extra piece of knowledge to this situation (that those of you who fly out of PHL regularly already know) which is the reason DL stepped up and AA didn't probably has little to do with the fact that AA's fleet is stretched so thin and everything to do with the fact that AA managers probably never heard of this situation in the first place. In PHL, DL and F9 share a ticket lobby (D), so it's likely that DL managers at the check in desks next door overheard the whole situation and looked into what they could do to help. With the hub being here, AA has no check in positions in D (they're all in A-West, A-East, B, C, and F, which are in separate terminals) so AA probably had no clue that this whole situation even transpired.

Think about ATL for a moment. Imagine that NK cancel's a group's flight to a destination that they'd been planning to travel to for a year. AA (or UA or WN) steps up and gets the group where they need to go. Is it that DL sat on its hands and didn't care? No...it's simply because DL's ticket lobby and check--in desks are on the complete opposite side of the airport and they had no knowledge of what was happening, while the AA ticket counters (or UA or WN) are right next to NK's and their managers probably saw everything.

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering the same thing - how did DL hear about it. You clarified that for me.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Packson

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:12 am

IPFreely wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Probably because those passengers had already been backed up on other flights. Your scorn is emotionally unhealthy, I suggest you come to terms with however Delta beat you.

DALMD80

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:30 am

And the MD-80s save the day!
SAVE THE MAD DOGS!! Seriously, get a ride on one while you can. They'll be gone by the end of the year.

hondah35

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 am

fraspotter wrote:
chepos wrote:

There is no society on this Earth rich enough to repeatedly send spare planes to fly high school cross country teams whenever they have a flight cancellation. I'm not sure what about this case worked out so that it made sense for Delta (PR exposure; they needed that tail in a certain location and carried the team instead of an empty ferry flight, etc), but to criticize AA for not "stepping up" is unfair and unrealistic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos