albertocsc
Topic Author

Ryanair starting flights to Armenia

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Two months after announcing Georgia, Ryanair is again launching flights to the Caucasus, this time to Armenia (Yerevan and Gyumri) from Milan, Rome, Berlin and Memmingen.

Routes will be:
- BGY to EVN, starting around January.
- CIA to EVN, also from January.
- SXF to EVN, starting around April.
- FMM to LWN, also from April.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... o-armenia/

Next country might be Iceland, but I think talks with Isavia are still underway.
Last edited by albertocsc on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galwayman

Re: Ryanair starting flights to Armenia

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Great news, nice add from FR

Toinou

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Apparently they are not targeting Armenia diaspora, considering the places they are launching flights from.

AZa346

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Considering that BGY is one of their biggest bases, they could funnel some traffic throught it! They already sell multiple sectors together on specific routes!

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm

This is superb, really looking forwards to using these.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Thibault973

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Toinou wrote:
Apparently they are not targeting Armenia diaspora, considering the places they are launching flights from.

My thought, I was expecting flights from either BVA or MRS considering the French Armenian community is by far the largest in Europe and the 3rd in the world after Russia and the US.

UnMAXed

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I would have thought the Paris market would be a higher priority than Memmingen due to the volume of traffic.
Anyway, congrats to both parties. Armenian traffic has been growing greatly over the last few years!

luckyone

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Toinou wrote:

The starting time for the routes also indicate that at least from the outset they aren't targeting any tourists either. I've spent December and January in Yerevan, and loved it, but I wasn't there for tourism. It gets very cold at that time of year, and at least when I was there, streets were not plowed and sidewalks were not shoveled.

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Old news. Here's a topic from last month about exactly the same:

viewtopic.php?t=1429707

albertocsc
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
Toinou wrote:

My thought, I was expecting flights from either BVA or MRS considering the French Armenian community is by far the largest in Europe and the 3rd in the world after Russia and the US.

At the moment, BVA is not a base for Ryanair, and any attempts to create one would need to challenge the night curfew and then the noise complains.
But yes, MRS might work, or in a lesser scale, BOD or TLS.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Old news. Here's a topic from last month about exactly the same:

viewtopic.php?t=1429707

Even if Armenia was also discussed in the thread, that was about Georgia.

Thibault973

Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:47 pm

albertocsc wrote:
Thibault973 wrote:
Toinou wrote:

At the moment, BVA is not a base for Ryanair, and any attempts to create one would need to challenge the night curfew and then the noise complains.
But yes, MRS might work, or in a lesser scale, BOD or TLS.

They could still fly from Yerevan to BVA on a W pattern

zkojq

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:02 am

This will be fantastic for Armenia's economy. Currently it's very expensive to get there from Western Europe.
First to fly the 787-9

oldannyboy

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 am

Can't wait to go! I've never visited Armenia but always wanted to go!!!

lightsaber

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 am

zkojq wrote:
This will be fantastic for Armenia's economy. Currently it's very expensive to get there from Western Europe.

If fares are currently high, then ripe for new service. If successful, I would expect more tourist friendly connections in the summer.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

zkojq

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Is Armenia ready for the tourism boom?

Well, the secret is out—2020 looks like it’s going to be a very busy year for the Armenian tourism industry. This week’s news that the Irish low-cost carrier Ryanair will start flights to Yerevan follows a similar announcement from the Latvian carrier Baltic Air. Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, for his part, raved about Booking.com’s inclusion of his country in its list of ‘Top 10 Tourist Destinations in 2020’ as proof that Armenia is finally reaching out of its relative obscurity and onto the maps of many adventure tourists.

Armenia has certainly become ever more popular with tourism-focused publications lately. Hardly a week goes by without the tiny republic finding its way onto lists of ‘most affordable destinations in the world,’ or having ‘one of the world’s most beautiful parliament buildings,’ ‘Europe’s best-kept secret‘ and so on.

Indeed, this coverage seems to be working. The number of tourists coming to Armenia has skyrocketed over the last two years. And they’re spending more too. According to Artur Javadyan, chairman of the Central Bank of Armenia, tourists have spent 75 percent more in restaurants this year than the last, 32 percent more in hotels and 30 percent at supermarkets.

According to data collected by the government, the average tourist once spent $730 during a trip to Armenia. In 2019, the figure has jumped to $880. The same study also demonstrates that the Armenian market has adapted to meet this new demand for tourists. Over the past six years, over 300 hotels have opened across Armenia.

Last year, Armenia saw a record high with 1.6 million inbound tourists. The number is likely to cross the two million mark by the end of 2019. While the majority of these are ethnic Armenians visiting from the Diaspora, an increasing number are coming from the Philippines, China, Japan, Western Europe and North America, and they are engaging in all sorts of activities that were not available until recently: ecotourism, hiking, off-roading and gastro-tourism.

More and more tourists are visiting the regions outside of Yerevan as well, where they contribute to the local economies by staying in bed and breakfasts, buying food, renting cars and hiring local guides. These expenses are a little harder to track though.

However, tourism does have its downsides. Evidence from other countries with tourism-focused economies reveals some of the unforeseen negative externalities which Armenian policymakers should be careful to account for.

While tourism definitely creates jobs, these jobs, despite requiring some skill, tend to offer low wages and few opportunities for advancement.

Additionally, the sudden influx of large numbers of tourists in a small, relatively isolated conservative country with little infrastructure to support them has been cause for social strife and even xenophobia.

In Yerevan, a recent spike in apartment purchases by Diasporan Armenians since last year’s Velvet Revolution has led to real estate speculation, a hike in rental prices and fears that locals may soon be priced-out by ‘repatriate gentrifiers.’

Armenia is right to embrace the incoming tourism boom which it is now poised to benefit from. For policymakers in Yerevan however, the key is to channel those gains into promoting a diversified, high-value economic productivity, while putting the right infrastructure in place to ensure that sustainable tourism remains mutually beneficial for visitors and locals alike.

https://armenianweekly.com/2019/10/16/i ... rism-boom/

lightsaber wrote:
zkojq wrote:

If fares are currently high, then ripe for new service. If successful, I would expect more tourist friendly connections in the summer.

Lightsaber

AirBaltic is beginning services to Yerevan also, which I wasn't aware of until now.
https://armenpress.am/eng/news/991026.html
First to fly the 787-9

leghorn

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm

According to this Ryanair are enjoying support equivalent to about $76 per passenger to fly to Armenia.
That isn't to say they are receiving $76 per passenger but costs at the airport of $76 per passenger are being absorbed.
If that is the case or even close to the truth then Armenia has a problem.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... cation=ufi

davidjohnson6

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:16 pm

It might be worthwhile to Armenia if it is to initiate tourism from western / central Europe and doesn't last too long. Israel used to be very expensive to reach - it now has many more leisure-oriented flights since the door was opened to Easyjet

Phosphorus

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Anecdotal -- I flew TXL-KBP with PS (Ukraine International) a couple of weeks ago, and the plane was packed (overbooked in fact). A large group of German tourists, heading for Armenia-Georgia holiday, were onboard. I understood that they would connect to EVN first, and then travel overland to places all over Armenia and Georgia, and finally fly TBS-KBP-TXL back.

So, some EU tourists do head for Armenia.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

AstanaMagic

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Armenia needs the FX, the foreign tourism brings, but is lacking in decent services. I visited with the family several years ago during school half term, when we lived in the UAE. We are Russian speakers, so it was not problem, cost of living is very reasonable, but not many people speak English. Like Georgia, Armenia has huge potential, both have a relaxed visa regime, but Georgia is more western oriented than Armenia which still looks towards Moscow. Good luck to FR, there will be plenty of people who want to try the country and they won’t be disappointed
2019: AGP, ALA, AMM, ARN, DXB, FRA, GYD, IST, KBP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MAD, SVO, SVQ, TAS, TBS, TSE, XRY
A/C: 319, 32B, 32S, 32Q, 32V, 321, 333, 332, 73H, 73J, 75W, 76W, 77E, 788, E90, GL5T
A/L: BA, IB, FZ, HY, J2, JY, KC, LH, PS, SK, SU, TK, U2

Thibault973

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:07 pm

I would love to know what is the logic behind FMM to LWN. Apparently the two airports saw exactly 0 indirect passengers last year...

9w748capt

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Toinou wrote:

Right? Won't really matter unless they launch LAX :D

dirk88

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
I would love to know what is the logic behind FMM to LWN. Apparently the two airports saw exactly 0 indirect passengers last year...

That doesn't say much. As FMM is only served by LCCs that do not offer connections, it isn't possible right now to to fly from FMM to LWN (unless self-connecting but that wouldn't show up in any stats). Better to look at MUC-LWN stats.

davidjohnson6

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 pm

I doubt even MUC-LWN will show anything more than a handful of pax - travelling between southern Germany and Armenia via Moscow is a hefty diversion that only a.nutters would actively choose. Maybe try MUC-EVN or even STR-EVN

albertocsc
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Thibault973 wrote:

I don't really know the answer, but I can imagine it being one of these options:

- Many passengers flying FMM-VKO-LWN on Pobeda
- Many passengers flying FMM-KUT on Wizz and continuing by car to Armenia
- Maybe there is a large Armenian community in southern Germany
- None of the previous and just trying to create a “Ryanair effect" of market stimulation

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos