User avatar
jfklganyc
Topic Author
Posts: 5522
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Bad Night at JFK

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Single runway ops since this afternoon

5.5 hour delays

Several ground stops

30 plus planes in a slow line for takeoff

Few arrivals

31R reopens in November
 
Alitalia744
Posts: 3800
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 8:22 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Yep. Sitting on DL48. Said at least an hour and a half taxi time.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.
 
catiii
Posts: 3201
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:09 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Single runway ops since this afternoon

5.5 hour delays

Several ground stops

30 plus planes in a slow line for takeoff

Few arrivals

31R reopens in November


The GDP was initially optimistic because it contemplated multiple runway ops. It went to hell pretty quickly...
 
N757ST
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:12 am

I was one of the last arrivals on the 22s today. Gusting to 42 across the runway and within 1 knot of the airframe limit. It was sporty to say the least.
 
dampfnudel
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:26 am

Alitalia744 wrote:
Yep. Sitting on DL48. Said at least an hour and a half taxi time.

I can see the position of your 333 on FR24. Have a good flight (once you’re airborne).
Last edited by dampfnudel on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR
 
leader1
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:27 am

Last night was pretty interesting, too - 22L arrivals with 13R (and the occasional 22R) departures in between each one. Not sure I’ve seen that before.
Leader-1
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12831
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:44 am

Alitalia744 wrote:
Yep. Sitting on DL48. Said at least an hour and a half taxi time.


Yikes!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.
 
Skisandy
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 am

Frequency, people want frequency!

Small planes, a departure to each major city every half hour.
Of course, runway problems, weather etc...then add a 3-5 hour delay,
but I am oh so happy that I could choose my exact departure time - though
nothing departs at that time.

It is absurd to have all these small planes, flying coast to coast.
20 years ago we had comfortable DC10's and L1011's. Now we have
737's and A320's. And are sitting on the runway, cramped and miserable.

Airliners.net members are salivating about every new narrow body trans-
Atlantic flight and are praying for the day when an A220 flies
nonstop to South Africa, just add a few fuel tanks.

I never understood the fun of sitting in a 1 1/2 hour queue lined
up for take off.
Last edited by Skisandy on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22 am

For anybody that sees this thread later, this is what it looked like as of 9:22PM EST Oct 17:

Image
 
HM7
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 am

Yeah it’s been a very windy day here in New York
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER
 
airboss787
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:31 am

Skisandy wrote:
Frequency, people want frequency!

Small planes, a departure to each major city every half hour.
Of course, runway problems, weather etc...then add a 3-5 hour delay,
but I am oh so happy that I could choose my exact departure time - though
nothing departs at that time.

It is absurd to have all these small planes, flying coast to coast.
20 years ago we had comfortable DC10's and L1011's. Now we have
737's and A320's. And are sitting on the runway, cramped and miserable.

Airliners.net members are salivating about every new narrow body trans-
Atlantic flight and are praying for the day when an A220 flies
nonstop to South Africa, just add a few fuel tanks.

I never understood the fun of sitting in a 1 1/2 hour queue lined
up for take off.


Wow dude, you have airliners.net quite confused. This site hates transatlantic on narrow body aircraft, unless of course it's a 757. I also don't think anyone thinks it's fun to sit in 90 min queues.
Banning widebody aircraft will only worsen the problem don't you think? There will have to be 2 aircraft doing the same trip which may have usually used just 1. Transatlantic and long flights will be out of question.
DC10s and L1011s are widebodies so I am not sure where you praise them but also want to ban them.
Star Alliance Gold
 
Alitalia744
Posts: 3800
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 8:22 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:35 am

2hrs later DL48 is number 4. Happy travels to all behind us!
Some see lines, others see between the lines.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:37 am

Man if anyone's listening to JFK tower right now, it's absolute chaos out there. Just heard someone say #50 for takeoff RIP lmao
Last edited by sonicruiser on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 4127
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:41 am

Skisandy wrote:
Frequency, people want frequency!

Small planes, a departure to each major city every half hour.
Of course, runway problems, weather etc...then add a 3-5 hour delay,
but I am oh so happy that I could choose my exact departure time - though
nothing departs at that time.

It is absurd to have all these small planes, flying coast to coast.
20 years ago we had comfortable DC10's and L1011's. Now we have
737's and A320's. And are sitting on the runway, cramped and miserable.

Airliners.net members are salivating about every new narrow body trans-
Atlantic flight and are praying for the day when an A220 flies
nonstop to South Africa, just add a few fuel tanks.

I never understood the fun of sitting in a 1 1/2 hour queue lined
up for take off.


Same weather in the days you remember, you were still waiting for an hour or two. I’ve been number 43 at LGA and certainly had long waits at JFK.
 
sonicruiser
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:50 am

Does anybody at JFK right now have a pic of this aircraft queue?
 
Babyshark
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 am

sonicruiser wrote:
Does anybody at JFK right now have a pic of this aircraft queue?


Try airportviewer.com

Looks like 48 lined up... like the old days

I'm here too. I think that pic above didnt do it justice they're lined up everywhere. They closed arrivals and put everyone in holding to try and clear up the mess.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3532
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:28 am

This is painful to listen to. I count at least 40 that are waiting for takeoff and another dozen or so pushed and waiting to join a line.
 
Grrflyer
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 am

I’m on AF011 been on the runway in queue for a couple hours but just starting to move now ✌️
 
mcogator
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:08 am

I remember taxiing out at JFK and falling asleep in my coach seat only to wake up 2 hrs later and realizing we hadn't left yet. That was fun.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
 
MaksFly
Posts: 347
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:21 am

mcogator wrote:
I remember taxiing out at JFK and falling asleep in my coach seat only to wake up 2 hrs later and realizing we hadn't left yet. That was fun.

HAHAHA...

One of the few times I fell asleep on a plane was flying Varig JFK to GRU. Fell asleep... woke up 3 hours later and we were still on the ground.
 
User avatar
TransWorldOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:31 am

I'm in the queue now as well. Pushed back over two hours ago. Flight attendants just came through with drinks and snacks. In less than an hour from now we will have to go back to the gate with the option to deplane per DOT regulations. Fun times!
 
TW870
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 am

Nights like this are a time warp back to the piston era, when the airlines flew reverse-redeyes. Check out this timetable:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages ... w59-01.jpg

TWA 91 was a daily nonstop on an L1049G that left IDL at 12:15am arriving LAX at 7:13am. 9 hours 59 minutes non-stop. - if all four engines ran the whole time. Tonight, Delta 454 is a 757 departing 10:19pm arriving 3:01am. 7 hours 42 minutes non-stop. So we've shaved off 2 hours and 17 minutes in sixty years.

Honestly, JFK has the best variety and fantastic plane spotting. But it is absolutely embarrassing operationally.
 
boston5555
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 am

Question: what do they do about ultra long haul flights on days/nights like these - e.g. JFK-HKG? Wouldn’t fuel burn be an issue with such long taxi times?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 4127
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

No, it’s planned for. They have pretty good idea what the taxi-out times will be, but sometimes they go back for fuel
 
CHOWahoo
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:16 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Multiple aircraft asked the tower for permission to turn off their engines and it was typically granted last night.
 
airboss787
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
No, it’s planned for. They have pretty good idea what the taxi-out times will be, but sometimes they go back for fuel


And then join the back of the line or do they get to jump to where they were?
Star Alliance Gold
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 4127
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Back of the line, it’s tricky guesswork
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7320
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Is this situation going to impact tonight's QF Sunrise test flight QF7879?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Skisandy wrote:
Frequency, people want frequency!

Small planes, a departure to each major city every half hour.
Of course, runway problems, weather etc...then add a 3-5 hour delay,
but I am oh so happy that I could choose my exact departure time - though
nothing departs at that time.

It is absurd to have all these small planes, flying coast to coast.
20 years ago we had comfortable DC10's and L1011's. Now we have
737's and A320's. And are sitting on the runway, cramped and miserable.

Airliners.net members are salivating about every new narrow body trans-
Atlantic flight and are praying for the day when an A220 flies
nonstop to South Africa, just add a few fuel tanks.

I never understood the fun of sitting in a 1 1/2 hour queue lined
up for take off.


Carriers could operate widebodies if they thought that's what people wanted, as in, what people would pay for. Think about what that says about your understanding of the market. Think about your willingness to generalize a bad weather night combined with a scheduled runway closure.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18428
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:12 pm

N757ST wrote:
I was one of the last arrivals on the 22s today. Gusting to 42 across the runway and within 1 knot of the airframe limit. It was sporty to say the least.

1 knot? That's margin.

Ok, bad jokes aside, that is why down to 1 runway.

JFK needs more capacity. But how?

Lightsaber

Late edit, due not complain about narrowbody aircraft when RJs are clogging up the airport too.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 4127
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 pm

lightsaber wrote:
N757ST wrote:
I was one of the last arrivals on the 22s today. Gusting to 42 across the runway and within 1 knot of the airframe limit. It was sporty to say the least.

1 knot? That's margin.

Ok, bad jokes aside, that is why down to 1 runway.

JFK needs more capacity. But how?

Lightsaber


That reminds of the C-5’s rather complicated crosswind chart the F/E used—it was calibrated as the limiting dry component of 32.5 knots. The eng would take the reported wind, chase thru a couple curves and say, “you’re within (or out) by half a knot”.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm

For those concerned about fuel burn on the 2+ hour taxis...

Pretty much all widebodies at the back of the line were sitting on the 22s, not even moving toward 13, and had requested to turn off the engines. This sometimes caused delays, as an American 772 to London had to turn 'em back on at short notice to get the conga line moving. This was around 7:30 Eastern.
Delta Gold Medallion
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:04 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
That reminds of the C-5’s rather complicated crosswind chart the F/E used—it was calibrated as the limiting dry component of 32.5 knots. The eng would take the reported wind, chase thru a couple curves and say, “you’re within (or out) by half a knot”.

We do the same thing on my jet...can't tell you how many times we've lined up and we've been off by 1 knot and have to wait for further clearance.
 
kanye
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:32 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Not using TSAT in USA?
In Europe all planes would wait at the gate and at a certain time start up and pushback in order to keep taxi time to a minimum.
 
Stickpusher
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Grrflyer wrote:
I’m on AF011 been on the runway in queue for a couple hours but just starting to move now ✌️


Presumably not an A359. Reliable (cough) sources would have us believe that's close to max endurance.
 
Stickpusher
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm

kanye wrote:
Not using TSAT in USA?
In Europe all planes would wait at the gate and at a certain time start up and pushback in order to keep taxi time to a minimum.


On stand? How does that deal with arrivals? Someone's going to be waiting on an a/c, surely it may as well be one towed off stand awaiting start to allow the rest of the operation to continue? I'm not in the airlines (parents were), so there may be other considerations I'm unaware of.
 
JohnAudiR18
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:37 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Good grief.....
 
flyinghippo
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 pm

airboss787 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
No, it’s planned for. They have pretty good idea what the taxi-out times will be, but sometimes they go back for fuel


And then join the back of the line or do they get to jump to where they were?


No - all planes that were waiting on 22R and Yankee taxi way had their engines shut off while the tower clear the queue on 22L. Once there were about 10 planes left on 22L, the tower asked all planes on 22R start up their engines.
 
alggag
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:46 pm

I was flying home last night and had the option of connecting in New York back when I booked the ticket. So glad that I chose another routing.
 
User avatar
WesternDC6B
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:10 pm

flyinghippo wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
No, it’s planned for. They have pretty good idea what the taxi-out times will be, but sometimes they go back for fuel


And then join the back of the line or do they get to jump to where they were?


No - all planes that were waiting on 22R and Yankee taxi way had their engines shut off while the tower clear the queue on 22L. Once there were about 10 planes left on 22L, the tower asked all planes on 22R start up their engines.


“Gentlemen, start your engines!”
Remember: Only one dwarf in seven is Happy.
 
barney captain
Posts: 2260
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:18 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
I'm in the queue now as well. Pushed back over two hours ago. Flight attendants just came through with drinks and snacks. In less than an hour from now we will have to go back to the gate with the option to deplane per DOT regulations. Fun times!


And start the process all over again.

Thank you government intervention. :roll:
Southeast Of Disorder
 
User avatar
ODwyerPW
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:30 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:21 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
For anybody that sees this thread later, this is what it looked like as of 9:22PM EST Oct 17:

Image


How do you get a view of airport traffic like that? That is amazing.
learning never stops.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:44 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
For anybody that sees this thread later, this is what it looked like as of 9:22PM EST Oct 17:

Image


How do you get a view of airport traffic like that? That is amazing.


Flightradar24 in the hybrid setting with the planes text label showing
 
FlySSC
Posts: 5318
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:38 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:47 pm

I was at JFK yesturdau evening Oct.17th... on board AF A380 operating AF007 to CDG.
We left gate 5 at 7:10 Pm (iso the schedule 7:00 Pm which is not too bad...).

We took off at 9:25 Pm...

In 32 years, I´ve never seen such a mess at JFK
 
JFKIceman
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:48 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
For anybody that sees this thread later, this is what it looked like as of 9:22PM EST Oct 17:

Image


How do you get a view of airport traffic like that? That is amazing.


Flightradar24.com or the app
 
BerenErchamion
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:54 pm

airboss787 wrote:
Banning widebody aircraft will only worsen the problem don't you think?

Where did anyone--much less the person you're responding to--suggest such a thing?
 
phllax
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm

It was almost just as bad at 2am PDT as the picture above.
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:27 pm

DL 2198 JFK-LAS was due to leave JFK at 5:29 PM and arrive LAS 8:26 PM. It didn't leave until 10:23 PM, then diverted to MSP, arriving MSP 12:21 AM. It left MSP 12:50 AM, and arrived into LAS at 2:07 AM.

I wonder if the diversion to MSP was because the crew timed out - can anyone at DL verify this?
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Bad Night at JFK

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Babyshark wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Does anybody at JFK right now have a pic of this aircraft queue?


Try airportviewer.com

Looks like 48 lined up... like the old days

I'm here too. I think that pic above didnt do it justice they're lined up everywhere. They closed arrivals and put everyone in holding to try and clear up the mess.


Haha, I was just thinking that. Back in the 90s when the 6pm transatlantic queue would take up to 45 mins.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos