DocLightning
Topic Author

Pictures of the DTW Davey Terminal Interior

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:51 pm

When I google "DTW Davey Terminal Interior Pictures" I get nothing. I get a few shots of the exterior.

As awful as this terminal was to use (why is it that my flights were always out of the dreaded C concourse?) the interior of the main terminal building was a stunningly beautiful example of mid-century modern architecture reminiscent of New York's Rockefeller Center for the Performing Arts.

So does anyone have any internal pics?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ishrion

Re: Pictures of the DTW Davey Terminal Interior

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 am

dtw9

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 am

Good luck finding any Doc. Pictures of the Davey interior are few and far between. If you try J M davey terminal you’ll have better luck. I don’t think I’ve eseen a handful of pictures. You can also try jet age art on Facebook as they’ve had a lot of posts lately due to the demolition of the Smith

MIflyer12

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 am

DocLightning wrote:
the interior of the main terminal building was a stunningly beautiful example of mid-century modern architecture reminiscent of New York's Rockefeller Center for the Performing Arts

Wow, that is not how I remember it 1987-2001.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:47 am

Not a ton of pictures out there on the internet of the Davey. There are a lot more of the LC Smith from back in the day and more recently up to when it was closed and also while it was shuttered.

There were some pictures posted by users on some of the prior DTW Air Service threads that got shut down.

Basically, the terminal itself looked a lot like EWR Terminal A exterior and interior.
Concourses C, D, E looked a lot like MSP Concourse F inside.
Concourse F looked a lot like a much more crowded version of DTW LC Smith Concourse B.
Councourse G was basically a 90's verision of a bus station

WA707atMSP

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:36 pm

About a year ago, Jet Age Art posted a picture of North Central's ticket counter at the Davey Terminal, scanned from their 1976 annual report. In the late 1970s, the wall behind NC's ticket counter showed a dramatic picture of an NC DC-9 taking off.

dtw107

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:55 am

I could not find any photos of the Davey either. I wonder if there are any of the C concourse because it stuck around longer.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:22 am

Not really since it was all said and done before mobile device and many of the online image sharing platforms became commonplace.

There are pictures out there of the terminal areas outside of security, particularly the LC Smith Terminal.

The original parts of Concourses C, D, E looked a lot like MSP - Concourse F. DTW Concourse F with the rotunda was a lot like Concourse B in the Smith terminal. There are pictures out there of the 90's versus of Concourse G when it was the bus station for the golfcourse/ Mesabaland.

WA707atMSP

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:09 am

The F concourse (which was designed for United) did have one very unusual feature. Its rotunda had cutouts, allowing aircraft to taxi inside the rotunda. This meant passengers needed to walk just a few steps from the waiting room to the aircraft. Also, there was one counter at the center of the rotunda, which handled check in and seat assignments for all of the gates at the rotunda.

The gates on the "stalk" of the F Concourse did not have this feature. The cutouts were wide enough to accommodate any narrow body jet. When United started flying 747s into Detroit in 1971, they usually used the gates on the north side of the "stalk", although as United increased their widebody fleet, one of the gates on the north side of the rotunda was modified with a conventional jet bridge so 747s, DC-10s, and (later) 767s could use it.

N292UX

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:45 am

(Supposedly) one of the Davey Terminal baggage claims

flymco753

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Someone in the Michigan Planespotting Page on Facebook did a great job putting together some pictures of what is found regarding the Smith and Davey terminals. There's photos of Concourses A, B, C, E, F, & G as well as the A & B rotundas. There's a picture that has an unknown Concourse where people seem to be standing in line for something.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

asr0dzjq

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
https://detroithistorical.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/lost-airports-iii/

FTFY
R.I.P.

Pan Am (B 19-10-1927, D 4-12-1991)
TWA (B 1-10-1930, D 1-12-2001)
Douglas (B 22-7-1921, D 23-5-2006)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Holy crap the Michigan Planespotting FB page is a treasure-trove of photos. Yes that is by far the best collection of photos of the Davey & Smith I have seen in one place.

dtw107

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:41 pm

I was curious about this also, I sent an email to the volunteer historian and he said sometime this weekend he’ll send all archive photos of the davey. If I receive them I will put them up in a album on the forum.

WA707atMSP

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:04 pm

For me, the "holy grail" of DTW history goes a little further back.

In the early 1970s, Alitalia flew from DTW to FCO via BOS, using DC-8s and 747s.

Air Jamaica also served DTW in this timeframe, flying DTW-NAS-MBJ with DC-9s.

I've never seen any pictures of Air Jamaica or Alitalia passenger aircraft at DTW, or any information about where their ticket counters were. I'd love to see this.

Fortunately, I was able to see the Alitalia 747 Freighters parked at the American Airlines cargo terminal in the late 1980s, when they were bringing Cadillac Allante bodies from Pinifarina in Turin to Cadillac's Poletown factory.

se210

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:53 pm

A bigger interior picture of the United "Rotunda" at the end of DTW Concourse F/North Terminal mentioned in this post #1177: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1382387&start=1176
This is actually a postcard circa ~1967-1969 (Dexter Press 18047-C). That is United Flight #149 departing at 11:20 for Chicago and Portland from Gate 52 for those timetable sleuths that might be able to narrow down the date further.

se210

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Sister postcard (Dexter Press 18050-C) to previous post showing the interior from the first gate on Concourse F/North Terminal (Gate 50 I believe). The United B727 is N7057U (#18864).

WA707atMSP

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 am

These postcards are great!

In the background of this image, you can clearly see one of the "cutouts" in the F rotunda that I mentioned in my earlier post, that allowed aircraft to taxi into the rotunda.

se210 wrote:
A bigger interior picture of the United "Rotunda" at the end of DTW Concourse F/North Terminal mentioned in this post #1177: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1382387&start=1176
This is actually a postcard circa ~1967-1969 (Dexter Press 18047-C). That is United Flight #149 departing at 11:20 for Chicago and Portland from Gate 52 for those timetable sleuths that might be able to narrow down the date further.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:58 am

Maybe try YouTube. There are some great videos of Pan Am and TWA at JFK in the 1980's. TWA at SFO and STL in 2000. Also videos of Eastern at PHL and MCO as well as videos of Republic at MEM in the 1980's. Maybe there are some videos of the old Detroit airport out there.

se210

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Next in the postcard series (Dexter Press 18046-C). View from the DTW North Terminal looking out towards Concourse F. The United B727 is N7057U (#18864) with a United Viscount in the background. The postcard shows the gates nestled into the concourse as mentioned in previous posts.
Last edited by se210 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

se210

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Last in the postcard series (Dexter Press 18045-C). Rainy apron view of a United B727 with the lighted DTW North Terminal in the background.

WidebodyPTV

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm pretty confident that there's few photos of the Davey Terminal readily available within public domain. I've searched hard, posted the ones I found, as well as some of my own, and these are the same photos routinely shared (e.g. the FB group). The Detroit Historical Society and the airport itself have requested that the public forward their images, which shows how rare they are. I have hundreds of photos taken, taken beginning in the early 1990s, as well as many hours of videotape, including a comprehensive two-hour video I took in 1994. I will not readily share these because my family and myself are the subjects, I was a kid and they heavily feature my childish antics. One day I will edit and post what I can, and I encourage others to do the same.

In the meantime, The Airchive had tons of photos of The L.C. Smith Terminal, including many of Concourse C as it appeared shortly after NW moved. NK took over C, and merely stuck its manual departure boards on former NW electronic signs (with the NW logo removed). Note that NW didn't take over the original portion of Concourse C until late 1994, so the decor somewhat differed from the L.C. Smith Terminal. In my video from summer 1994, DL and TW are occupying most of the original portion of Concourse C; after NW took over, they did a fairly extensive renovation, including new lighting, updated carpeting in the gate holds, new carpeting over the walkways (which previously looked like A/B), new seats in the gate holds, new paint, new signage, etc. The photos are no longer on the Airchive (I think it changed ownership), but you could probably access them through the internet archive.

Also available through the internet archive is DTW's website from the late 1990s/early 2000s, which features some press photos of the Davey Terminal. They generally focus on shops and restaurants, but it's something....

And to those that are zealous enough... the local media (channels 2, 4 and 7) did extensive coverage on NW's move from the Davey Terminal in 2002. Lots of interior footage in these newscasts... which mainly featured on the trash that got out of control that night. So much trash... I'm sure you could contact these stations and get a copy of the broadcast.

dtw107

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Check this out there are a few gems in here

http://theairchive.net/detroit-metropol ... higan-usa/

Also soon I will get the airport photos and will post them here once I get them.

flymco753

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:27 pm

dtw107 wrote:
Check this out there are a few gems in here

http://theairchive.net/detroit-metropol ... higan-usa/

Also soon I will get the airport photos and will post them here once I get them.
Wow! Just need to find the long hallway with the long moving walkway between C & D and were golden!
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Qantas59

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for this great topic.
Are the old A and B concourses still standing? I seem to recall that they were being utilized as office space, or something similar.
I remember the rather large quilt tapestry of AA history in Detroit that was behind a glass case in the B concourse. Very impressive. I wonder what ever happened to it.
Cheers.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

dtw107

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Are the old A and B concourses still standing? I seem to recall that they were being utilized as office space, or something similar.
I remember the rather large quilt tapestry of AA history in Detroit that was behind a glass case in the B concourse. Very impressive. I wonder what ever happened to it.
Cheers.

Nope A/B demolition ended about March - May of 2019. Smith demolition started within the last months and there is extensive coverage on the Michigan Plane Spotting FB group.

flymco753

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Found a video with the gate hold areas! 1992 Which concourse is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VRW7HmF8Pc

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:29 pm

flymco753 wrote:

I believe they are recording in a USAir gate hold room in the original part of Concourse C.
Based on the date (1992), USAir at the time had their legacy gates in Concourse C as well as two gates, B11 & B12 which were Piedmont's gates when they merged.
That is definetely not B11 & B12 as they were in the rotunda didn't look anything like that.

When NW got all of Concourse C in the md-90s, USAir moved over to the Concourse A rotunda.
The gate areas where then refreshed into the NW decor with a lot of the blue trim and white in the corridors.

WA707atMSP

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:47 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I believe they are recording in a USAir gate hold room in the original part of Concourse C.
Based on the date (1992), USAir at the time had their legacy gates in Concourse C as well as two gates, B11 & B12 which were Piedmont's gates when they merged.
That is definetely not B11 & B12 as they were in the rotunda didn't look anything like that.

When NW got all of Concourse C in the md-90s, USAir moved over to the Concourse A rotunda.
The gate areas where then refreshed into the NW decor with a lot of the blue trim and white in the corridors.

USAir's gate area on the C Concourse was built in 1970. It was originally one large gate area, built as an addition to the C Concourse to accommodate 747s. It was Gate 29.

After DL ended 747 service to DTW in the mid 1970s, Gate 29 was rarely used. In the late 1980s, it was remodeled into three narrow body gates, and USAir moved there.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 pm

That's right..... Yes I remember that stub-end now that were US gates. Concourse C was built in 4 parts and was basically addition on top of addition to extend it out.

It was where C7, C9, C11 where in their final iternation. My DTW memories start in the mid-80s and by then it was the alphanumeric gate numbering.

drdisque

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 pm

dtw107 wrote:
Qantas59 wrote:
Cheers.

Nope A/B demolition ended about March - May of 2019. Smith demolition started within the last months and there is extensive coverage on the Michigan Plane Spotting FB group.

I'm fairly sure the quilt was moved to an AA space in the North Terminal after the North Terminal opened. I'm not aware that it's publicly viewable anymore but also I don't fly AA out of DTW hardly at all.

drdisque

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:36 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
I'm pretty confident that there's few photos of the Davey Terminal readily available within public domain. I've searched hard, posted the ones I found, as well as some of my own, and these are the same photos routinely shared (e.g. the FB group). The Detroit Historical Society and the airport itself have requested that the public forward their images, which shows how rare they are. I have hundreds of photos taken, taken beginning in the early 1990s, as well as many hours of videotape, including a comprehensive two-hour video I took in 1994. I will not readily share these because my family and myself are the subjects, I was a kid and they heavily feature my childish antics. One day I will edit and post what I can, and I encourage others to do the same.

In the meantime, The Airchive had tons of photos of The L.C. Smith Terminal, including many of Concourse C as it appeared shortly after NW moved. NK took over C, and merely stuck its manual departure boards on former NW electronic signs (with the NW logo removed). Note that NW didn't take over the original portion of Concourse C until late 1994, so the decor somewhat differed from the L.C. Smith Terminal. In my video from summer 1994, DL and TW are occupying most of the original portion of Concourse C; after NW took over, they did a fairly extensive renovation, including new lighting, updated carpeting in the gate holds, new carpeting over the walkways (which previously looked like A/B), new seats in the gate holds, new paint, new signage, etc. The photos are no longer on the Airchive (I think it changed ownership), but you could probably access them through the internet archive.

Also available through the internet archive is DTW's website from the late 1990s/early 2000s, which features some press photos of the Davey Terminal. They generally focus on shops and restaurants, but it's something....

And to those that are zealous enough... the local media (channels 2, 4 and 7) did extensive coverage on NW's move from the Davey Terminal in 2002. Lots of interior footage in these newscasts... which mainly featured on the trash that got out of control that night. So much trash... I'm sure you could contact these stations and get a copy of the broadcast.

I too took a ton of pictures in concourses D, E and F in the mid-late 90s but most of the pictures were out towards runway 21R and there's very little that actually shows the terminal. Next time I'm at my parents' house and have time I'll look through those pictures again to see if there's literally anything of value. I clearly remember an NW 727 nuzzled up into one of the F-rotunda gates as it was originally designed. How I wish I had taken a picture of that. I also have vivid memories of the BEX DL Connection BAe 146 that flew DTW-JFK parked at the base of C (it seemed like it was always there). I also remember my dad flying on ZK DTW-TVC from a lower level gate on A or B and check-in was at the AA counter.

fjnovak1

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:17 pm

I remember boarding ComAir CRJ’s to CVG from A7, you went down a dingy staircase and boarded from the tarmac. As I recall, ComAir remained separated from DL (who had two maybe three gates in B) until they all co-located in the B16-20 area of the McNamara (pre-merger).
Go Blue!!

WidebodyPTV

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:57 pm

drdisque wrote:
I too took a ton of pictures in concourses D, E and F in the mid-late 90s but most of the pictures were out towards runway 21R and there's very little that actually shows the terminal. Next time I'm at my parents' house and have time I'll look through those pictures again to see if there's literally anything of value. I clearly remember an NW 727 nuzzled up into one of the F-rotunda gates as it was originally designed. How I wish I had taken a picture of that. I also have vivid memories of the BEX DL Connection BAe 146 that flew DTW-JFK parked at the base of C (it seemed like it was always there). I also remember my dad flying on ZK DTW-TVC from a lower level gate on A or B and check-in was at the AA counter.

I think you mean Concourse A :). I have video of a DL A310-300 boarding DTW-JFK in 1994. Kinda fascinating that shortly after the video was taken, DL replaced the 310 with a 146. Within a few years, the flight was further downgauged to a 32-seat 328JET. Most of my photos are of the aircraft, aircraft interiors, tarmac and runways as well. My dad has a ton of photos from the 1960s and 1970s, but they were taken from the observation deck and focus on the aircraft. There's a handful of gems (re: terminals) in both of our sets. Regardless, I'm sure any "vintage" photos of DTW would be appreciated by the larger community.

I learned and now routinely take photos of places I frequently visit, just because I like seeing how things change over time. For example, with Macy's expected to announce it's leaving Lakeside Mall for Partridge Creek, I'd like to take photos of the mall (which will have lost four of its five anchors in the last two years, as Macy's occupied two spaces, including the former Crowley's) before it's leveled and replaced with an Amazon distribution center or something.

fjnovak1 wrote:
I remember boarding ComAir CRJ’s to CVG from A7, you went down a dingy staircase and boarded from the tarmac. As I recall, ComAir remained separated from DL (who had two maybe three gates in B) until they all co-located in the B16-20 area of the McNamara (pre-merger).

DL moved from Concourse C to a split operation in Concourse A & B sometime in late 1994. Turboprop/regional jet flights to JFK & CVG operated from a single gate in Concourse A, whereas mainline flights to CVG, ATL, MCO and later SLC operated from B. DL also had access to a now-NW widebody capable gate on Concourse C for overflow; most flights to ATL were operated with 767 or L1011 equipment, CVG regularly saw a 767 or two, LGW was served with an L1011 and JFK saw the 310. The LGW and MCO flights were dropped shortly after the move (DL sold the LGW route authority to NW), and JFK switched to the 146 sometime in 1995, and DL then instead turned toward using a TW gate for its surplus needs.

DL's baggage claim remained in C. They planned to relocate back into the concourse once NW moved to its new terminal, but struck a DL with NK, and remained put.

WA707atMSP

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:20 pm

drdisque wrote:
dtw107 wrote:
Qantas59 wrote:
Cheers.

I'm fairly sure the quilt was moved to an AA space in the North Terminal after the North Terminal opened. I'm not aware that it's publicly viewable anymore but also I don't fly AA out of DTW hardly at all.

I asked AA employees about the quilt, and they said before the Smith demolition, the quilt was sent to the C R Smith Museum near DFW for restoration and preservation. I haven't seen the quilt in one of the public areas of AA's facilities in the DTW North terminal, so I don't know whether it's still at the Smith museum, or in a non-public area of AA's DTW facilities.

WA707atMSP

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:26 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
That's right..... Yes I remember that stub-end now that were US gates. Concourse C was built in 4 parts and was basically addition on top of addition to extend it out.

It was where C7, C9, C11 where in their final iternation. My DTW memories start in the mid-80s and by then it was the alphanumeric gate numbering.

The "bump out" to the west side of AA's concourse B (between AA's and Delta's concourses) was also built for 747s. AA parked 747s at the southwest corner of the bumpout, using gates 14 and 15. Like DL, AA stopped flying 747 passenger aircraft to DTW in the mid 1970s (AA had flown them to both LAX and ORD), and AA reconfigured the bumpout to accomodate two 727s or 707s.

I have a picture of a DL 747 at DTW gate 29, but I've never seen any pictures of AA's 747 passenger aircraft at DTW.

dtw107

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:59 am

Some of these videos are not really interesting but do contain old content at Davey

Northwest Airlines “inside look” about 5 minutes of tarmac and some behind scenes
https://youtu.be/NXVhtKS6bx8

**Edit (My apologies there is no Davey footage in this clip it is in another clip I am trying to find)
News coverage of crash (with checkin area footage)
https://youtu.be/5HsXRTXasus

I believe this is concourse D pre renovation
https://youtu.be/_8G1WvzUlOE

Somebody driving around airport by Berry (pre Northwest hangar) and near Davey departures/arrivals, and what seems to be in the reflection of the window Concourse F, and then walking on the moving walkway between E-F
https://youtu.be/aGIr-zk_0Qc

Check in area in Davey and unknown gate hold room (pre Northwest renovation)
https://youtu.be/PpGiu9U35MQ

Nothing significant in this one, but shows davey overview. (North Terminal construction progress/Davey Demolition)
https://youtu.be/C1hY8BqG0BE

Completely unrelated, here is some footage from 1994 inside a Northwest DC-10 with the safety video on a projector
https://youtu.be/kZHP4g_jYUY

flymco753

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:32 pm

The tower was demolished overnight. The Michigan Planespotting Facebook page has done a great job covering these events.

As a side note or question rather, what year was the big hangar by Goddard Rd demolished?

dtw107

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:40 pm

I am struggling to upload photos to the database on here right now, but anyway here are the photos I got from the historian at the airport. He said there may be more on the way if more are found. I strongly urge you to download these in case it gets deleted or they disappear.

!! Can’t delete this post, trying to get the photos uploaded and having some issues. I have about 7. Will try to get them up soon.!!

dtw107

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:31 am

I urge you to download these because I cannot vouch for the reliability of the photo hosting site.

Davey Terminal Checkin (Northwest)
https://ibb.co/CJ18XQ8

Davey Checkin (United)
https://ibb.co/QprK5dC

Grand Opening of the International Davey Checkin Departures Building
https://ibb.co/nmqh1y9

Corridor meets the Marriott hotel, photo of the Airport central room. If you look at the ceiling you can see the width expansion of the corridor where they added on.
https://ibb.co/tpwGc4H

Aerial view of Davey in the 70’s
https://ibb.co/Qb3dYd4

United Baggage room (unknown location)
https://ibb.co/VWJc6D9

Cool view of Davey at night
https://ibb.co/2kGJ02n

dtw107

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:22 pm

I have a variety of Smith/Davey Photos that I found on Flickr.
Actually more Smith (rip smith terminal 1958-2019)
(None of these photos are mine, so I linked to the photos rather than attaching.)
Most of the photos are less than ideal, but with old DTW photos being essentially non-existent I mine as well share. I tried to find ones that have not been repeated on this forum also.

Smith Concourse C
https://www.flickr.com/photos/frankarms ... 265242701/

Unknown, need identification (not even sure if this is Detroit, but it may be)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikek/2094067618/

Either Smith Concourse A,B,C
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mekopeach/2117862017/

Glass corridor leading to somewhere. Don’t know what the area is at the end. For sure DTW.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/godblessbotox/2157247384/

Smith Baggage Claim A/B
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lachicana/2364075298/

Poor photo of some windows and the floor of concourse F
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wu_family/2458486636/

Another Unknown corridor, however very likely to be DTW
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnygracie/2605381115/

exFWAOONW

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:52 pm

A nice stroll down memory lane.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

JayinKitsap

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
A nice stroll down memory lane.

I was thinking the same thing. Grad of UM Engineering in 77, worked in Detroit 4 years after that so like 50 flights from DTW. I remember well the Rotunda area, mostly because it was quite dismal and dated then, cannot remember the airlines I flew but only rarely was in the nicer area. My flights were mostly to Stapleton, MSP, and DC.

exFWAOONW

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:03 am

:banghead: While I had access and the camera equipment, I also had three small children on B scale wages. No extra money to get film developed. These archive sites add to my regret while bringing back (mostly) good memories.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

flymco753

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:26 pm

My Dad just showed me a tape recorded video on his old camcorder from my infancy in the mid 90's when we flew up to Michigan to visit family. If it weren't for the fact that I am the center of attention in the video, I'd share it. Has footage of MCO in the 90's, the interior of a NW 757, and few minutes of us walking to the Smith Terminal arrivals. The video starts around C5 and goes all of the way to the stair case that was just outside of the C corridor. There's a split moment of my father carrying me with a clear shot down the hallway from C to D where the elevated walkway was. Also has probably 10 seconds of the Smith baggage claim.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos