Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AVENSAB727
Topic Author

IAH Terminal D rebuild finally gets going.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:25 pm

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... o-18456974

The long awaited Terminal D renovation project for IAH finally gets going. The old Terminal C North will be demolished and replaced with a new pier with 6 additional gates for widebodies for Terminal D and 6 widebody gates at the south of the terminal with additional room for narrow bodies.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

YoungDon

Re: IAH Terminal D rebuild finally gets going.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 pm

It's about time, they have needed these gates for a while now. Let's see if they can actually get it built in three years. Terminal D in the afternoons is absolutely nuts right now.

greg787

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:27 pm

The $1.23 billion project essentially combines Terminal D and Terminal E into one terminal with a central area to house the ticket counters, security checkpoint and baggage claim.

Well that's a new development

LAXdude1023

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Its seriously about time. Terminal D is a laughing stock right now.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm

I used up my one free article per month, after which the site told me very politely to "get lost".

Are there any renderings of the new plans?

Congratulations to Houston for getting a great new terminal AND saving money on the deal!!

alggag

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:44 pm

I remember back when IAB (now D) first opened. I fly through there a lot and while I don't think it's quite as bad as some people make it sound I do agree it's time for some upgrades.

maps4ltd

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:01 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
I used up my one free article per month, after which the site told me very politely to "get lost".

Congratulations to Houston for getting a great new terminal AND saving money on the deal!!

Incognito mode. Or a VPN.
Delta Gold Medallion

YoungDon

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:49 pm

alggag wrote:
I remember back when IAB (now D) first opened. I fly through there a lot and while I don't think it's quite as bad as some people make it sound I do agree it's time for some upgrades.

The terminal itself isn't horrible imo, its just very dated. Refreshing the inside will be nice as well.

The thing I'm most excited about (other than the additional gates of course) is that the approach road network will be redone as a part of combining the infrastructure for D and E. Whoever designed the current approach road network at IAH had to have been drunk, high, and crazy. Hopefully FIS will be better too once it's all said and done.

indcwby

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:15 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Do a google search for the article title and it will get you past the pay screen. Houston Chronicle has become a joke operation for Houstonians lately.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

horsepowerchef

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Thats gonna be a long walk if your flight arrives at one of the "Terminal D West"(ex C-North) and you have to walk all the way to Terminal E immigration...

LGeneReese

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:49 am

horsepowerchef wrote:
Thats gonna be a long walk if your flight arrives at one of the "Terminal D West"(ex C-North) and you have to walk all the way to Terminal E immigration...

One would hope a slide walk will be included in the design.
This also requires the demolition of most, if not all, of the parking structure between C and E.
Last edited by LGeneReese on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

avi8

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:56 am

I wonder why it’s gonna take so long. Entire airports get built in 5 years yet this expansion is taking almost 4.
avi8

LGeneReese

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:10 am

avi8 wrote:
I wonder why it’s gonna take so long. Entire airports get built in 5 years yet this expansion is taking almost 4.

Phased construction I would imagine... All this work must happen while keeping existing flight operations at minimal disruption.

aircountry

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:42 am

I'm glad to hear IAH is finally to rebuilt a new MLIT (Mickey Lealand International Terminal) with more widebodies to come. So future airlines guess would be TAP, SAS, Swiss plus more star alliance and non star alliance to serve IAH. Remember the movie Field of Dreams quote If you built then we will come. When IAH MLIT is built then more new international airlines will come to serve.

aircountry

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 am

LGeneReese wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Phased construction I would imagine... All this work must happen while keeping existing flight operations at minimal disruption.

The reason is the new mayor of Houston is Turner came in and he tossed out the design and redraw the new design and delayed too long to wait. Thanks to Channel 2 Houston news investigated on Mayor of Houston went dirty corruption on the airport.

aircountry

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:32 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/IAH-to-break-ground-on-expanded-international-14542242.php#photo-18456974

The long awaited Terminal D renovation project for IAH finally gets going. The old Terminal C North will be demolished and replaced with a new pier with 6 additional gates for widebodies for Terminal D and 6 widebody gates at the south of the terminal with additional room for narrow bodies.

it said----> The project also includes six new gates for wide-body aircraft, such as the Airbus A350 and the Boeing 777 or 787 Dreamliner, bringing the total to 13 widebody gates on the north side of the new international terminal and six wide-body gates on the south of the terminal, plus additional room for narrower, single-aisle aircraft.

13 widebodies is 6 for new D north ex terminal C and 7 for existing as it now and future total 15 gates. My question is where will A380 to park?

LGeneReese

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:11 pm

aircountry wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/IAH-to-break-ground-on-expanded-international-14542242.php#photo-18456974

it said----> The project also includes six new gates for wide-body aircraft, such as the Airbus A350 and the Boeing 777 or 787 Dreamliner, bringing the total to 13 widebody gates on the north side of the new international terminal and six wide-body gates on the south of the terminal, plus additional room for narrower, single-aisle aircraft.

13 widebodies is 6 for new D north ex terminal C and 7 for existing as it now and future total 15 gates. My question is where will A380 to park?

D9 and D12 are the current A380 gates....last I heard there were to be four total. I will presume two of the six new gates at D West will so accommodate. What I do not understand is the “on the south of the terminal”... South of D is terminal E.... some clarification is definitely needed.

william

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Georg ... 95.3367827

So what's actually new other than C being torn down and rebuilt? There is already a terminal area between D and E, is that area being renovated?

Airlines0613

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:17 pm

So, Terminal E and D are to become one terminal. E will be South and D will be North, so that clarifies the total wide-body gates. All check-in will be consolidated at Terminal E and FIS is already at Terminal E, along with baggage claim.

Currently, only the old C North is being torn down and rebuilt, but the existing Terminal D will be demolished and rebuilt slowly. The original plan is delegated and will take longer, which is supposed to have 3 piers instead of one.

COPolynesianPub

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Does anyone know if UA will have access to the new D gates once they are built in off peak times for international flights?

flyingclrs727

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
So, Terminal E and D are to become one terminal. E will be South and D will be North, so that clarifies the total wide-body gates. All check-in will be consolidated at Terminal E and FIS is already at Terminal E, along with baggage claim.

Currently, only the old C North is being torn down and rebuilt, but the existing Terminal D will be demolished and rebuilt slowly. The original plan is delegated and will take longer, which is supposed to have 3 piers instead of one.

So where is the parking going to be? They are tearing out some of the parking used for terminals D & E for the terminal expansion. The extra international traffic is going to increase the need for parking. I was there Monday evening, and there weren't any available parking spaces below level 6. Fortunately the parking garage has LED displays showing the number of spaces available on each level saving lots of time searching full lots.

LGeneReese

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:38 pm

COPolynesianPub wrote:
Does anyone know if UA will have access to the new D gates once they are built in off peak times for international flights?

Yes. As I recall that was part of the deal for giving up old C North. As it is now UA uses a number of D gates in the morning daily... mostly for UaX flights from Mexico.

LGeneReese

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:47 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

So where is the parking going to be? They are tearing out some of the parking used for terminals D & E for the terminal expansion. The extra international traffic is going to increase the need for parking. I was there Monday evening, and there weren't any available parking spaces below level 6. Fortunately the parking garage has LED displays showing the number of spaces available on each level saving lots of time searching full lots.

Additional levels are to be added to the existing structures above C... i’m sure the total space count is going to be less than it is now though.

Airlines0613

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

Additional levels are to be added to the existing structures above C... i’m sure the total space count is going to be less than it is now though.

You are correct. Honestly, as a Houstonian, I am thrilled but upset at the same time. The original plan for a 3 pier concourse has been postponed. What I don’t understand is how a single pier along with remodeling costs $1.3 Billion, yet the 3 pier concourse costs the same. Something smells fishy.

LGeneReese

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:06 pm

william wrote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/George+Bush+Intercontinental+Airport/@29.9871298,-95.3399771,920m/data=!3m2!1e3!5s0x8640b44c9e497b6d:0xff95595e65870b8b!4m5!3m4!1s0x8640b423d94355c7:0x9cc6b4fcc8c0c231!8m2!3d29.9902199!4d-95.3367827

So what's actually new other than C being torn down and rebuilt? There is already a terminal area between D and E, is that area being renovated?

If the renderings shown are accurate D will have a separate check-in facility west of the current E .... across the street if you will. This obviously means most, if not all, of the parking structure between C and E goes away.
BTW the image in that link is years obsolete... I would hope Google had something current.
Last edited by LGeneReese on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingclrs727

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:08 pm

According to Mario Diaz, Director of Aviation for the Houston Airport System, the Turkish Airlines flight alone adds $400 million per year to the Houston economy.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... ad4a4e8d98

aircountry

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:01 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
According to Mario Diaz, Director of Aviation for the Houston Airport System, the Turkish Airlines flight alone adds $400 million per year to the Houston economy.

Diaz said airport officials are talking with India about the possibility of a direct flight, looking at a new flight to a major city in China, and possibly another two to Southeast Asia.

“And of course, secondary cities in Europe: Barcelona, Madrid, Vienna.” Diaz said.

Looks like Air India coming and and at least 6 new international airlines to come. I cant prediction but I guess is China Eastern Airlines, TAP, SWISS, Iberia, Austrian Airlines or Philippines Airlines and maybe Vietnam Airlines. Anyone can guess it and IAH need more carribean airlines and south america airlines like MIA, JFK, FLL, MCO and LAX all have from south america and IAH dont have it only UA flies down there.

flyingclrs727

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:20 am

aircountry wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Diaz said airport officials are talking with India about the possibility of a direct flight, looking at a new flight to a major city in China, and possibly another two to Southeast Asia.

“And of course, secondary cities in Europe: Barcelona, Madrid, Vienna.” Diaz said.

Looks like Air India coming and and at least 6 new international airlines to come. I cant prediction but I guess is China Eastern Airlines, TAP, SWISS, Iberia, Austrian Airlines or Philippines Airlines and maybe Vietnam Airlines. Anyone can guess it and IAH need more carribean airlines and south america airlines like MIA, JFK, FLL, MCO and LAX all have from south america and IAH dont have it only UA flies down there.

WOW! Sounds like even less reasons to make connections at ORD, EWR, IAD, YYZ, or YUL.

bravotango75

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:38 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
aircountry wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

WOW! Sounds like even less reasons to make connections at ORD, EWR, IAD, YYZ, or YUL.

Seriously, nothing but wild speculation and wishful thinking. Houston should be happy and thankful for what it has and move on.

Airlines0613

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:45 am

bravotango75 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
aircountry wrote:

Seriously, nothing but wild speculation and wishful thinking. Houston should be happy and thankful for what it has and move on.

It’s not speculation when the Director of Houston Airport System stated they are in talks with airlines from those locations, whom want to operate to IAH. It may not be those specific airlines, but someone wants to operate from the locations he mentioned. IAH is a large international market compared to many airports in the U.S. due to its large foreign diasporas and economy, don’t underestimate it.

To me, it sounds like someone is jealous. :duck:

bravotango75

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:40 am

Airlines0613 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

It’s not speculation when the Director of Houston Airport System stated they are in talks with airlines from those locations, whom want to operate to IAH. It may not be those specific airlines, but someone wants to operate from the locations he mentioned. IAH is a large international market compared to many airports in the U.S. due to its large foreign diasporas and economy, don’t underestimate it.

Jealous, not really, nearby BOS has more int'l service that IAH and is a larger tourist destination than all of Texas combined, so, no, not jealous at all. Perhaps a few new int'l operators over the coming decades, really nothing more than that. The wishful thinking of an airport director who may have had a "chat" with a few carriers doesn't mean that they are coming.

Airlines0613

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:36 am

bravotango75 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Jealous, not really, nearby BOS has more int'l service that IAH and is a larger tourist destination than all of Texas combined, so, no, not jealous at all. Perhaps a few new int'l operators over the coming decades, really nothing more than that. The wishful thinking of an airport director who may have had a "chat" with a few carriers doesn't mean that they are coming.

Nope, that is incorrect. DFW alone has more international passengers than BOS. If you actually read up on statistics, IAH international passenger traffic is about 46% higher than BOS. It needs about 3 million more international passengers a year to reach IAH and a couple of thousands to reach DFW. Even the total passenger traffic of BOS is lower than IAH by almost 3 million. IAH also serves more international and domestic destinations than BOS. All I can give you is the fact that BOS has more carriers than IAH though, but that’s it. :banghead:

Tourist numbers from BOS alone is also nowhere near to all of Texas, but that doesn’t matter. Most routes are initiated based on yields, which are high with business passengers and low with tourists. IAH has a lot of premium traffic due to its economy and of course, oil. Possibly even more than BOS, meaning high opportunities to new destinations, especially since Houston continues to diversify its economy. That’s just IAH. Don’t get me started with HOU, which should also be considered if you want to go by city.

So yes, jealousy. :duck:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/trav ... al-flights

You can use the sources provided on Wiki:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ted_States
Last edited by Airlines0613 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

aircountry

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:41 am

bravotango75 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Jealous? Maybe DFW is jealous LOL. Why? DFW AA controls 3/4 international building while 1/4 cover international airlines. AA wont let other one world airlines to use AA international gates and no room to add widebodies for future international airlines. IAH will get more international airlines widebodies gates to add when new D north (ex C terminal) is built.

bravotango75

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:37 am

Airlines0613 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:

IAH has a lot of premium traffic due to its economy and of course, oil. Possibly even more than BOS, meaning high opportunities to new destinations, especially since Houston continues to diversify its economy. That’s just IAH. Don’t get me started with HOU, which should also be considered if you want to go by city.

So yes, jealousy. :duck:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/trav ... al-flights

You can use the sources provided on Wiki:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ted_States

And when either Bernie or Liz win the White House next year, where is Texas going to be then? The oil sector will go the way of the US Auto industry, and Houston will just be another Detroit, dying on the vine. Bye, bye IAH...

drerx7

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Once again no. Houston is the energy capital of the world, not just oil and gas. It sounds like you need to travel more and/or do at least the bare minimum internet research before talking. You also show up on every IAH thread talking about BOS as if its relevant... Lol, how old are you kid?
HOUSTON, TEXAS

YoungDon

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:44 pm

This Bravotango dude always finds a way to come in and pollute IAH threads with some bizarre fixation on BOS. He doesn't realize we don't care what they're doing in BOS one way or another.

Just a jealous troll, nothing more.

Antarius

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:22 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
aircountry wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

D9 and D12 are the current A380 gates....last I heard there were to be four total. I will presume two of the six new gates at D West will so accommodate. What I do not understand is the “on the south of the terminal”... South of D is terminal E.... some clarification is definitely needed.

Why more a380 gates? The a380 is dead with the line being shut down. Who's going to fly it to IAH? EK, LH? Who else?

EY, TG, KE, OZ, AF, NH, QR are definitely out of the question. Which leaves BA, CZ and SQ as "possibilities" with probability tending towards zero.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

BNAMealer

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:38 pm

YoungDon wrote:
This Bravotango dude always finds a way to come in and pollute IAH threads with some bizarre fixation on BOS. He doesn't realize we don't care what they're doing in BOS one way or another.

No kidding. If anything, the constant fawning on this site over the growth in BOS is getting old. Can’t wait for the bubble to burst there.

LGeneReese

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Antarius wrote:
LGeneReese wrote:
aircountry wrote:

Why more a380 gates? The a380 is dead with the line being shut down. Who's going to fly it to IAH? EK, LH? Who else?

EY, TG, KE, OZ, AF, NH, QR are definitely out of the question. Which leaves BA, CZ and SQ as "possibilities" with probability tending towards zero.

Four was the number mentioned when the D redevelopment plan was first reveled a number of years ago. At that time the A380 was the new ‘in’ thing in the industry. With the subsequent changes in the D plans I haven’t seen any comment about 380 gates so four is still as good as anything to go with for now. Besides, even going out of production the type will still be flying for years to come so can’t hurt to have room for them.

YoungDon

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:19 pm

LGeneReese wrote:
Antarius wrote:
LGeneReese wrote:

Four was the number mentioned when the D redevelopment plan was first reveled a number of years ago. At that time the A380 was the new ‘in’ thing in the industry. With the subsequent changes in the D plans I haven’t seen any comment about 380 gates so four is still as good as anything to go with for now. Besides, even going out of production the type will still be flying for years to come so can’t hurt to have room for them.

Can the future A380-complaint gates can be reconfigured to provide dual jetbridge boarding for conventional wide-bodies? I agree that four is probably above current or future needs, but if the gates can be made more useful for the aircraft that will actually be using them, seems like it wouldn't hurt to have them. Four gates will also provide a bit more operational flexibility for the two A380s that do frequent IAH.

HP69

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Will UA expand at IAH because of this?

LGeneReese

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 pm

YoungDon wrote:
LGeneReese wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Can the future A380-complaint gates can be reconfigured to provide dual jetbridge boarding for conventional wide-bodies? I agree that four is probably above current or future needs, but if the gates can be made more useful for the aircraft that will actually be using them, seems like it wouldn't hurt to have them. Four gates will also provide a bit more operational flexibility for the two A380s that do frequent IAH.

I would hope such gates will be designed from the getgo to be able to handle every type, from A380s down to Erj175s.
In fact such gate space should be able to hold two 175 sized craft simultaneously... :bouncy:

flyingclrs727

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:49 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

No kidding. If anything, the constant fawning on this site over the growth in BOS is getting old. Can’t wait for the bubble to burst there.

Does BOS still have multilevel parking garages that lack elevators?

BNAMealer

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

Does BOS still have multilevel parking garages that lack elevators?

Don’t know, but what does that have to do with anything?

LAXdude1023

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:15 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

This thread has nothing to do with BOS. Inaccuracies aside, if you want to talk about BOS go somewhere else.

LAXdude1023

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Youre conflating an airline director trying to get service with airlines actually want to be here. Airline directors are "in talks" to many different airlines all the time. Most of them have no intention of service. Sometimes they are successful.

I hope he is successful, but for the most part the airlines that want to service IAH are here already. A new terminal may sway one or two but its not going to pile on the international carriers.

slider

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Great news for IAH....rising tide raises all ships, as they say. And yes, long overdue. D was darn near obsolete when it was built and when IAH's intl growth started exploding a few years back, it finally got them moving.

I'm curious about the new baggage handling system as well. Lot of new technology in the design of this terminal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos