Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

msycajun
Topic Author

MSY Announces Nov 6 Opening for North Terminal

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 pm

https://mailchi.mp/671f7b457e9e/the-new-terminal-at-new-orleans-airport-to-open-on-nov-2074705?e=b17a271d93&fbclid=IwAR1RZ0yvJ5LrLc-Nb82h95aVX2PTe4I1Fsc-nPITdmCw6SA_D20ACCvA0bE

After several delays, the Aviation Board just confirmed the opening date of November 6th in a press release.

All commercial operations at the current terminal will cease the day before and move overnight to the new 35 gate North Terminal which will completely replace the old one.

The new MSY airport terminal spans 972,000 square feet and features three concourses, 35 gates, two new parking garages for short-term and long-term parking, a surface parking lot, and an economy garage with shuttle service. Concessions, located past security checkpoints, will feature more than 40 food, beverage, news, gift and specialty retail options designed to cultivate an indulgent experience for locals and visitors alike.

Other amenities available at the new terminal include:
Fast, free Wi-Fi
Chargers available at 50 percent of the seats in the gate areas
Water bottle refilling stations post-security
Three Mothers Rooms
Fully-automated restrooms with sanitary seat covers
A pet relief area post security
Music venues located pre and post security
In-line baggage screening system
Three curbside check-in locations with easy access to the Short Term Garage

The garages and rental car facilities next to the current terminal will remain in use with shuttle service provided to the North Terminal.

The terminal is set to contain lounges for United, Delta, and an independent operator and will have 5 international capable gates.

Edit: the video here has excellent footage of the terminal as it was undergoing finishing touches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFQ3ccARpQ

LAXBUR

Re: MSY Announces Nov 6 Opening for North Terminal

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Huge improvement over existing facilities. Looks very nice.

Now about the airport having a 30-minute tv program...that's a bit much and I wonder who's paying for that.

SteveXC500

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Oh great. I’ll fly in to the old and out of the new.

joeljack

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:30 am

Did they build a light rail line from the new terminal to downtown? In my opinion, that was the only thing the old terminal was missing! I was in the old terminal about a year ago and actually thought it was pretty nice! Why are they building a new one? Better light rail access? I did see they are doing a United Club so that's nice!

toltommy

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:57 am

msycajun wrote:

The garages and rental car facilities next to the current terminal will remain in use with shuttle service provided to the North Terminal.

Looking at the map, turning the old terminal parking decks into economy parking makes sense. Customers will have the choice to pay to park closer. But why leave the conslidated car rental facility over there? How old is the current CONRAC facility? Is it not paid off yet? Thats going to be quite a haul around the airport. Looks like travellers will need to plan for an extra hour each way. It's going to be as convoluted as getting to the facilities in DFW and CLE. Is there a long term plan to move rental cars to the north side?
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:26 am

CONRAC opened in 2013. That facility will be in use for a long time. Bonds are still being paid off on it.

737max8

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:35 am

toltommy wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Looking at the map, turning the old terminal parking decks into economy parking makes sense. Customers will have the choice to pay to park closer. But why leave the conslidated car rental facility over there? How old is the current CONRAC facility? Is it not paid off yet? Thats going to be quite a haul around the airport. Looks like travellers will need to plan for an extra hour each way. It's going to be as convoluted as getting to the facilities in DFW and CLE. Is there a long term plan to move rental cars to the north side?

It's really not that far, lets not be dramatic. It won't take that long to shuttle to it, it's a straight shot down the runway with no traffic lights. No worse than any major airport with a CONRAC. Shoot it still won't be as bad as PHX, LAS, SEA, or even individual RAC facilities at LAX!
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

FromCDGtoSYD

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:40 am

What will happen to the current terminal ? Destroyed and made into a huge ramp ?

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:51 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
What will happen to the current terminal ? Destroyed and made into a huge ramp ?

Most of it will be demolished including Concourses A, B, and C. The existing concourse D will mostly be converted over to office space for the airport staff to use. However, the bonds are still being paid off for the 6 gate extension at the end of D. Those 6 gates will technically still be in use, but only for charter flights. A master plan is being drawn up on what to use that future ramp space for. Uses could range from additional general aviation ramp space to a cargo hub.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:51 am

joeljack wrote:
Did they build a light rail line from the new terminal to downtown?

No.

Loosely proposed back around the same time as the terminal launch, shot down by the then-governor.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

BNAMealer

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:13 pm

737max8 wrote:
toltommy wrote:
msycajun wrote:

It's really not that far, lets not be dramatic. It won't take that long to shuttle to it, it's a straight shot down the runway with no traffic lights. No worse than any major airport with a CONRAC. Shoot it still won't be as bad as PHX, LAS, SEA, or even individual RAC facilities at LAX!

Are there long term plans for a new CONRAC adjacent to the new terminal?

Italianflyer

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:22 pm

The surface street deviation is going to be a mess. I believe it's going to be a year or so until there is direct access off 10.
Plan accordingly when leaving MSY. Those two lane streets are going to be congested.

msycajun
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
737max8 wrote:
toltommy wrote:

Are there long term plans for a new CONRAC adjacent to the new terminal?

Longer term, I have seem some indications that they have set aside space near the NT for a new facility. My guess is it will go in what is now the massive construction parking lot to the west of the terminal. Until the new I-10 flyover ramps are complete in a few years, there's no point in trying to consolidate everything next to the terminal anyway as it would overwhelm the streets. Sending rental cars and economy parkers down the existing access road will ease congestion for everyone.

msycajun
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
joeljack wrote:

No.

Loosely proposed back around the same time as the terminal launch, shot down by the then-governor.

There were solid plans and federal funding in place for New Orleans-Baton Rouge heavy rail commuter line, which would have had a stop next to the current terminal, but that was turned down. The state has slowly been moving forward with station plans and small amounts of funding, but it's basically waiting on a large pot of money to pay for new bridges. There has been talk of doing only the downtown-airport segment as a commuter rail service, but this would still stop at the south side and would require a shuttle. We did get the N.O.-Mobile line federally funded, so I'm still hopeful for some progress to the west. The case gets even stronger if you can do BR-NO-MOB direct rail service.

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 pm

msycajun wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
joeljack wrote:

No.

There were solid plans and federal funding in place for New Orleans-Baton Rouge heavy rail commuter line, which would have had a stop next to the current terminal, but that was turned down. The state has slowly been moving forward with station plans and small amounts of funding, but it's basically waiting on a large pot of money to pay for new bridges. There has been talk of doing only the downtown-airport segment as a commuter rail service, but this would still stop at the south side and would require a shuttle. We did get the N.O.-Mobile line federally funded, so I'm still hopeful for some progress to the west. The case gets even stronger if you can do BR-NO-MOB direct rail service.

Are there examples of commuter rail working well for airport transit? Places like ORD and YUL have commuter stations connected by shuttle bus (and Dorval is a fairly busy station), but I don’t feel like they capture much airport traffic. Heavy rail on commuter lines works in places like YYZ and likely YUL in a few years because of the frequency and ready terminal access, but that doesn’t seem likely at MSY.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

msycajun
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 am

MSY has also announced open houses where the public can tour the new facility on Thursday and Saturday of this week (Oct 24 and 26). Detail and registration:
https://mailchi.mp/gmail/please-join-us-for-a-preview-of-the-new-msy-2074905?e=b17a271d93

N757ST

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:58 am

Cubsrule wrote:
msycajun wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
No.

Are there examples of commuter rail working well for airport transit? Places like ORD and YUL have commuter stations connected by shuttle bus (and Dorval is a fairly busy station), but I don’t feel like they capture much airport traffic. Heavy rail on commuter lines works in places like YYZ and likely YUL in a few years because of the frequency and ready terminal access, but that doesn’t seem likely at MSY.

PHL, BWI, MIA, EWR, and kinda JFK.

FromCDGtoSYD

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:44 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

SYD, CPH, SIN

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

SYD, CPH, SIN

We've come up with a pretty good list of airports, but almost without exception I think the list proves my point: with easy terminal access and high frequency, commuter rail is a decent option for getting to the airport. If either or both of those is missing, it isn't. MSY isn't going to have easy terminal access and the frequency is very much to be determined.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

SunsetLimited

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:33 pm

CN and KCS railroads (the two main lines closest to MSY) have never really been in favor of having commuter rail on their tracks in the area. These are busy freight lines and basically they just view additional passenger trains as an annoyance.

In other parts of the country and world, things like this are easier to get done. It’s never been easy down here. The three long distance Amtrak lines (none of which stop at the airport, obviously) and the upcoming gulf coast Amtrak service will be it for us in terms of any type of passenger rail unless politicians can come up with a billion or so to build an entirely new passenger only line from NO to BTR.
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:41 pm

I figured I'd post some updates here for those not following the New Orleans thread:

DL presser for the new Sky Club:
https://mailchi.mp/delta/q6reduyntt?e=991a624076&fbclid=IwAR2dTdzdQl8SN30-XJCdcGlTIOhUxvxI4PEsK6S1BrO_frKKX35r8L11kmI

Airport Press Release Regarding the Final Preparations for the Move:
NEW ORLEANS - The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport reminds the public that the new terminal at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) will open to the public on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019. All 16 commercial airlines at MSY will operate from the new terminal located at 1 Terminal Drive, Kenner, LA, and the existing facility at 900 Airline Dr., Kenner, LA, will close to the public.

Additionally, on Tuesday, Nov. 5, all flights scheduled to arrive at MSY after 8 p.m., except for the three Southwest Airlines flights listed below, will arrive at the new terminal. Transportation options will be available for arriving passengers at that time including personal vehicle pickups, taxi, rideshare, limos as well as hotel, parking and rental car shuttles. Shuttles will also be available to return passengers to the short-term and long-term parking garages, credit card lot and rental car facility located at the existing terminal.

The Southwest flights that will still arrive the current terminal are (arrival times are based on current flight information):

Southwest Flight # 397 (Tampa) arrival at 8:30 p.m.
Southwest Flight # 449 (Atlanta) arrival at 8:35 p.m.
Southwest Flight # 993 (Dallas) arrival at 8:40 p.m.
There will be no departures from the new terminal on Nov. 5; the first departures from the new terminal will start on Nov. 6.

Individuals with travel scheduled during the specified times are advised to take the necessary steps to prepare for arriving at or departing from a different terminal facility in a new location. Passengers should plan to arrive to the airport at least two hours ahead of their scheduled departure to allow enough time to check in, process through security and get to their gate.

Driving to the New Terminal

Once the terminal opens, travelers will take a different route to access the airport. The new terminal is located in closer proximity to the region’s main thoroughfare, Interstate10 (I-10). Travelers will exit Loyola Drive from I-10, cross over Veterans Boulevard and proceed on the new dedicated Airport roadway. The State’s Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) in close coordination with the City of Kenner recently completed improvements to the roadways to accommodate traffic flow through the Veterans/Loyola corridor.

From downtown New Orleans, take I-10 West and exit at Loyola Drive. Turn left at Loyola Drive and continue straight across Veterans Boulevard onto Terminal Drive, which is the Airport’s dedicated roadway system. From there, follow the signage to access the departures curb, arrivals curb, parking options, etc.

From west of the Airport, take I-10 East and exit at Loyola Drive. Turn right at Loyola Drive and continue straight across Veterans Boulevard onto Terminal Drive, which is the Airport’s dedicated roadway system. From there, follow the signage to access the departures curb, arrivals curb, parking options, etc.

From Airline Drive, turn onto the existing Airport Access Road, continue straight toward Veterans Boulevard. Turn left at Veterans Boulevard, and turn left onto Terminal Drive, which is the Airport’s dedicated roadway system. From there, follow the signage to access the departures curb, arrivals curb, parking options, etc.

Arriving at the New Terminal

Once passengers arrive at the new terminal, they should follow signage to the designated area for transportation options such as personal vehicle pickups, taxis, rideshares, limos, and public transportation, as well as hotel, parking and rental car shuttles.

Travelers who departed from the existing airport terminal before the opening on Nov. 6 will arrive at the new terminal facility. Shuttles will be available to take passengers to the Former Short Term and Long Term Garages located on the south side.

###

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos