Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thewizbizman
Topic Author

Jumpseat Wars?

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Hey guys, I did not see a thread on this so I figured I'd post something.

Apparently recently, in US airlines there have been some airlines not allowing their pilots to accept CASS jump seaters from other airlines.
Found out about it due to this video CRV posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqRqOyGF-8Y

Does anyone know which airlines are involved? Thoughts on the matter? Will it last?
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

Judge1310

Re: Jumpseat Wars?

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 pm

It sounds like this is a case between pilot unions... can't they just leave well enough alone sometimes?

NW747-400

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 pm

There is currently a spat between United mainline pilots and SkyWest / Republic pilots regarding jumpseat priority.

United ALPA altered the jumpseat priority for United Express carriers and SkyWest / Republic pilots are now denying the jumpseat to United mainline pilots as well as pilots from several other United Express carriers as retaliation.

That’s what the CRV video is referring to.

astaz

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 pm

thewizbizman wrote:

Apparently recently, in US airlines there have been some airlines not allowing their pilots to accept CASS jump seaters from other airlines.
Found out about it due to this video CRV posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqRqOyGF-8Y

Does anyone know which airlines are involved? Thoughts on the matter? Will it last?

The issue is regarding jumpseat priority given by UA to some UAX carriers and not others.

Specifically, ExpressJet, Air Wisconsin, CommutAir, GoJet and Trans States were given a higher boarding priority than the pilots of Mesa, SkyWest, and Republic.

It is my understanding that the Mesa, SkyWest, and Republic pilots are standing up against their degraded status, but not allowing jumpseaters from United or the UAX carriers who have elevated priority.

That’s the last I heard, don’t know if things have changed or the pilot’s/carriers are enforcing it or not.

catiii

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:34 pm

astaz wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:

The issue is regarding jumpseat priority given by UA to some UAX carriers and not others.

Specifically, ExpressJet, Air Wisconsin, CommutAir, GoJet and Trans States were given a higher boarding priority than the pilots of Mesa, SkyWest, and Republic.

It is my understanding that the Mesa, SkyWest, and Republic pilots are standing up against their degraded status, but not allowing jumpseaters from United or the UAX carriers who have elevated priority.

That’s the last I heard, don’t know if things have changed or the pilot’s/carriers are enforcing it or not.

Sounds messy. How’d that all come about anyway?

airplanedriver6

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:40 pm

FWIW, the "JUMPSEAT WAR" is already over.

Skywest and Republic quickly agreed to the original priorities established by United so now it's back to status quo.

For those outside the USA, most (if not all) airlines have reciprocal jumpseat agreements where pilots can ride in the cockpit jumpseat of other airlines. Otherwise, jumpseats are typically off limits for security reasons.

ericm2031

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 pm

catiii wrote:
astaz wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:

Sounds messy. How’d that all come about anyway?

From what I’m understanding, UA is giving higher priority to UA exclusive regionals as opposed to regionals who fly for other airlines.

usxguy

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 pm

The way United *sometimes* operates is, if you work for Republic, and you want to fly on a Republic plane, but has United colors on it (operating FOR United), you will get on before other United and United Express employees, and that includes pecking order for the jumpseat. I have a feeling that United may have changed their boarding priority to no longer reflect that.
xx

mm320cap

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:53 pm

It’s over. Skywest, Republic and Mesa signed the agreements yesterday

Lpbri

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:11 pm

I've read about this. It's very complicated.

CriticalPoint

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Honesty this is not a topic the general public or crew from other parts of the world are going to understand.

The “war” is over and none of it will affect the traveling public.

alasizon

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 am

My understanding is that in addition to the degraded priority, UA also gave their own pilots a higher priority on regional metal as well which really ticket off some of the OO/YX pilots.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

gon2fly

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:15 am

United changed the jumpseat priority to align with other carriers standards. Skywest and Republic retaliated by declaring no United pilots on their jumpseats. United pilots started taking names and filing reports to ALPA on who was denying the jumpseat. In this video, FOM refers to Skywest changing their Flight Operations Manual to 'no United jumpseaters', and CSR refers to the Gate Agents who were told to not allow United pilots down the jetway to talk with the Captain. Whether one sided with one group.....or the other.....this was a pretty funny spin on events of the past week:

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1547352/Hitler-finds-out-names-are-being-taken?fbclid=IwAR2Dui7T4sXqmi3MA47zf2khrZJQo0LljCrZ6DFuhc-BMHzNMW09j5hOfxE

ericm2031

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:45 am

usxguy wrote:
The way United *sometimes* operates is, if you work for Republic, and you want to fly on a Republic plane, but has United colors on it (operating FOR United), you will get on before other United and United Express employees, and that includes pecking order for the jumpseat. I have a feeling that United may have changed their boarding priority to no longer reflect that.

They all still have priority on their own metal.

There are a lot of exceptions, but the main point of contention is the fact that Mesa, Republic, and SkyWest employees are being grouped in with every other airline in a lot of cases...and when that is the case, time of check-in is the deciding factor.

mcdu

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 am

The war is over. It lasted on paper 3 days however Republic and Skywest pilots started early and for roughly a week denied UAL pilots access to their jumpseats. UAL ALPA asked the UAL pilots to not retaliate and to allow those pilots at Republic and Skywest access to the UAL jumpseats. In the end after a week of denying jumpseats to UAL pilots and keeping pilots from getting to and from work and home both Skywest and Republic signed the same agreement they had snubbed over a week ago.

While the UAL pilots didn’t retaliate and deny jumpseats those Skywest and Republic pilots that did deny jumpseats did not do so in a vacuum. They are known and will be known forever.

Aesma

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:30 am

How can pilots deny the use of the jumpseat, if there is all that complicated system behind it ? Aren't they facing punishment ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

airplanedriver6

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Aesma wrote:
How can pilots deny the use of the jumpseat, if there is all that complicated system behind it ? Aren't they facing punishment ?

The Captain ALWAYS has final authority. But there is a priority chart to use for reference and 99.5% of the time the chart is followed in the normal course of operation.

But there is a twist in this specific situation. Except for some “lifers,” the majority of Skywest and Republic pilots are flying to build experience and have a career goal of working for a major airline.

Thus, some of the pilots playing games with the jumpseat also had active applications with United. Not a great way to make yourself known to a potential employer.

N766UA

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Aesma wrote:

Riding the jumpseat is at the captain’s discretion. All he or she has to say is “no, they can’t go.” Simple as that.

That said, if you deny someone a ride to work or a ride home that they depend on because of your work politics, you suck.

airtran737

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Republic has also picked a fight with AA and the wholly owned carriers denying them the use of D2 travel status and trying to force them to ask the gate agent to go outside their scope and list them as D6’s. This has caused quite a few WO pilots to decide to not make their jumpseat available when they have YX pilots trying to use the jumpseat.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Lpbri

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Commuting by air does not sound like reliable transportation

mcdu

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 pm

airtran737 wrote:
Republic has also picked a fight with AA and the wholly owned carriers denying them the use of D2 travel status and trying to force them to ask the gate agent to go outside their scope and list them as D6’s. This has caused quite a few WO pilots to decide to not make their jumpseat available when they have YX pilots trying to use the jumpseat.

This may solve the staffing issues at SkyWest and Republic. There is not an appetite to hire anyone from these carriers after what took place this week. With UAL saying they will need 10k in the next 10 years I and many others hope they can find them from anywhere but Republic or Skywest.

BravoOne

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Lpbri wrote:
Commuting by air does not sound like reliable transportation

Thousands of pilots do this daily without issues. This particular sore point was addressed in a timely, professional manner. End of story and is really no ones business except those using this benefit.

slider

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:23 pm

alasizon wrote:
My understanding is that in addition to the degraded priority, UA also gave their own pilots a higher priority on regional metal as well which really ticket off some of the OO/YX pilots.

As it should be. I remember when this first became a really big issue, at the time of the merger because the sUA CPAs had granted preferential priority to the then sUAX carriers, whereas sCO didn't.

The matrix of who had what priority on whose metal was ridiculously convoluted. Candidly, SkyWest was (is) too big for their britches and that was a big part of it.

alasizon

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:04 pm

mcdu wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

This may solve the staffing issues at SkyWest and Republic. There is not an appetite to hire anyone from these carriers after what took place this week. With UAL saying they will need 10k in the next 10 years I and many others hope they can find them from anywhere but Republic or Skywest.

Yeah, not going to happen. Plenty of pilots will go from OO & YX to all the majors.

slider wrote:
alasizon wrote:

As it should be. I remember when this first became a really big issue, at the time of the merger because the sUA CPAs had granted preferential priority to the then sUAX carriers, whereas sCO didn't.

The matrix of who had what priority on whose metal was ridiculously convoluted. Candidly, SkyWest was (is) too big for their britches and that was a big part of it.

Why should mainline UA pilots get a higher priority on regional metal? IMO, they should have the same priority as all the regional pilots who aren't traveling on their own metal. Why should it go Own Metal>Mainline>Other Regionals as opposed to just Own Metal>All Others?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

mcdu

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:01 pm

alasizon wrote:
mcdu wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

Yeah, not going to happen. Plenty of pilots will go from OO & YX to all the majors.

slider wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Why should mainline UA pilots get a higher priority on regional metal? IMO, they should have the same priority as all the regional pilots who aren't traveling on their own metal. Why should it go Own Metal>Mainline>Other Regionals as opposed to just Own Metal>All Others?

UAL pilots are the people that hire pilots, they conduct the interviews along with HR. One interview pilot that I know of was denied the Jumpseat last week. This Skywest and Republic Jumpseat action had enough of an impact that I am sure the Skywest and Republic pilots will be interviewed. I just am not sure what the success rate will be for them going forward.

There are plenty of pilots that want to work at UAL and with the new Aviate program the pipeline will start earlier for pilots. No need to hire a bunch of malcontents that will only be problem children from Skywest and Republic. Let the other majors hire them in the few spots that aren’t filled with flow pilots from the other regionals.

Both Repbulic and Skywest don’t have flow programs to a major for a reason. None of their pilots are willing to acknowledge why that fact exist.

As to the priority for UAL pilots, if you don’t understand why then you must be a Skywest of Republic pilot. Sorry you just hit the Jumpseat ceiling in your career.

Detroit313

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Flight attendants are not crazy to let pilots sit in their cabin jumpseats. That would make traveling or commuting to work more difficult for them.

Flyer732

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:45 pm

mcdu wrote:
alasizon wrote:
mcdu wrote:

slider wrote:

UAL pilots are the people that hire pilots, they conduct the interviews along with HR. One interview pilot that I know of was denied the Jumpseat last week. This Skywest and Republic Jumpseat action had enough of an impact that I am sure the Skywest and Republic pilots will be interviewed. I just am not sure what the success rate will be for them going forward.

There are plenty of pilots that want to work at UAL and with the new Aviate program the pipeline will start earlier for pilots. No need to hire a bunch of malcontents that will only be problem children from Skywest and Republic. Let the other majors hire them in the few spots that aren’t filled with flow pilots from the other regionals.

Both Repbulic and Skywest don’t have flow programs to a major for a reason. None of their pilots are willing to acknowledge why that fact exist.

As to the priority for UAL pilots, if you don’t understand why then you must be a Skywest of Republic pilot. Sorry you just hit the Jumpseat ceiling in your career.

It was a violation of their FOM, which lays out jumpiest priority. Sounds to me like they were following their manual, which is what potential employers look for.

mcdu

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Flyer732 wrote:
mcdu wrote:
alasizon wrote:

It was a violation of their FOM, which lays out jumpiest priority. Sounds to me like they were following their manual, which is what potential employers look for.

How do you explain all the denials prior to the date they declared was to be the start of the war? There were denials that started on the 11th and the Skywest pilots jumpseat coordinator said a revision was coming to the FOM on the 15th and that was the date of war. And in a huge no surprise there was never a revision to their manual issued. Only the threat of a revision.

These pilots made career decisions that won’t be forgotten.

zkojq

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:02 pm

mcdu wrote:

mcdu wrote:

Well it makes a mockery of the recruitment process if hiring at UAL is determined by personal vendettas.
First to fly the 787-9

mcdu

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:54 pm

zkojq wrote:
mcdu wrote:

mcdu wrote:

Well it makes a mockery of the recruitment process if hiring at UAL is determined by personal vendettas.

It’s not a personal vendetta. It’s a mindset the Skywest pilots have that is the concern You want pilots that would not weaponize the jumpseat like these pilots did. Skywest doesn’t have have any career path programs or links to hiring to any of the major carriers like almost all of the other regionals. You really have a to wonder why one of the largest carriers can’t get a pipeline program? If the legacy carriers were as desperate as skywest pilots make you think, they would have program. Instead the pilot groups of the larger airlines don’t want anything to do with them much less a direct path for them to their cockpits.

Skywest is in the territory that Comair and Atlantic Coast found themselves in years ago. Comair had lawsuits and committees created to demand date of hire stapling of themselves to the DL seniority list. They went on strike and from that day forward DL wound them down.

It would make sense for UAL to whittle down some of the number of feeder carriers and I think even Kirby has mentioned this in the Q calls. With UAL having a large stake in Mana Air I suspect it would be better suited to replace Skywest flying with Mana going forward. It won’t be over night but it will be the Comair II decline.

CriticalPoint

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:07 pm

MCDU,

The traveling public and these enthusiasts are not going to understand. All we will get here is more Anonymous screen names spouting lies and mis information.

Tugger

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Sounds petty on all sides.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

HP69

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Tugger wrote:
Sounds petty on all sides.

Tugg

Most definitely.