JannEejit
Topic Author

The Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash 42 years ago today.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:30 pm

42 years ago today (October 20th 1977), the day various members of this southern rock band died, including lead singer Ronnie Van Zant who apparently predicted his own death before he would turn thirty. By all accounts nobody was particularly happy about flying on what was at the time a thirty year old Convair that was apparently in poor condition. Cause of crash deemed to be fuel exhaustion and some degree of incompetence on the part of the crew who themselves were alleged to be seen passing a bottle of Jack Daniels about the cockpit by other rock star clients as well as by members of Skynrd themselves. As a fan of the band I knew about the crash but had never really read any of the detail until now.

Quite sad and utterly avoidable really.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19771020-1
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typo fixed

B757Forever

Re: The Lynyrd Skynrd plane crash 42 years ago today.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:41 pm

It's amazing how many performers have died in aviation crashes. Jim Croce, Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly just to name a few.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

JannEejit
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:45 pm

B757Forever wrote:
It's amazing how many performers have died in aviation crashes. Jim Croce, Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly just to name a few.

Yes, all of whom trying to avoid lengthy bus rides as they criss crossed the USA on tours. This article from Rolling Stone has several interesting anecdotes from various people connected to Lynyrd Skynrd and their concerns over the aircraft. Apparently they were one flight away from trading up to a Learjet too.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... -2-195371/

Revelation

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:08 pm

B757Forever wrote:

Stevie Ray Vaughn.

JannEejit wrote:
Yes, all of whom trying to avoid lengthy bus rides as they criss crossed the USA on tours. This article from Rolling Stone has several interesting anecdotes from various people connected to Lynyrd Skynrd and their concerns over the aircraft. Apparently they were one flight away from trading up to a Learjet too.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... -2-195371/

Lots of interesting documentaries on youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... p=eAE%253D

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... p=eAE%253D

Unfortunately the survivors have had a falling out so the retelling of the plane crash seems to have a few different variations depending on who tells the story.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

CairnterriAIR

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Apparently Aerosmith refused to use the aircraft some time before the Convair went down. Amazing there were any survivors at all due to the extensive break up of the aircraft. Apparently one of the band members once realizing the plane was going in firmly instructed everybody else into crash positions.

wjcandee

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:09 pm

I was in high school, sitting in my dorm room in darkness listening to the Boston rock station all night long as updates about the crash came in. Remember it like yesterday.

TW870

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:38 pm

It was a somewhat unusual airplane, as it was marketed as a "Convair 300" - which meant a 240 but with the newer nacelle and exhausts of the 440, where the outlet is a single square chamber rather than the 2 pipes as on the 240. I believe the airplane was still certified as a 240 and only marketed as a 300. Admittedly even as a propliner fan I had never heard of a Convair 300 until fairly recently when reading about this crash.

JannEejit
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:48 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
Apparently Aerosmith refused to use the aircraft some time before the Convair went down. Amazing there were any survivors at all due to the extensive break up of the aircraft. Apparently one of the band members once realizing the plane was going in firmly instructed everybody else into crash positions.

I also read a variation on that story, suggesting the captain entered the cabin and instructed everyone to enter the brace position, saying they had run out of gas. I think it was the bass player, interviewed years later saying he had "death in his eyes". All purely anecdotal of course.

airtechy

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Lynyrd Skynrd was one of my favorite bands ... southern rock stuff. Just checked and I have the original "Street Survivors" album with the band immersed in flames. Obviously not good after the accident.

The NTSB accident report was pretty critical of the crew. http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online-fu ... R78-06.pdf

Justapax

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:23 pm

wjcandee wrote:
I was in high school, sitting in my dorm room in darkness listening to the Boston rock station all night long as updates about the crash came in. Remember it like yesterday.

I was in the record business "in a prior life" - from 1969 - 1976. i remember being so sad when I heard this news.

WA707atMSP

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Revelation wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

Stevie Ray Vaughn.
JannEejit wrote:

Ricky Nelson was another performer who died in the crash of a decrepit aircraft. His DC-3 crashed in Texas in Dec, 1985:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ricky_Nelson

barney captain

Re: The Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash 42 years ago today.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:53 pm

They unveiled a memorial there yesterday -

GILLSBURG — Forty-two years after a plane carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd to their next sold-out show crashed in a Southwest Mississippi swamp, a monument to honor the band members and their crew who died will be unveiled near that fateful spot in Gillsburg.

The official unveiling is Oct. 20 at 3 p.m. about 400 yards from the actual crash site, which is difficult to navigate because of trees, vines and marsh. The memorial will sit on land donated by Dwain and Lola Easley on Easley Road, just off Hwy. 568. Dwain Easley was one of the rescuers that night.

The unveiling is free and open to the public. Pat Nelson, one of the organizers of the Lynyrd Skynyrd Monument Project, which has partnered with the Southwest Medical Foundation, has confirmations from several family members of those who perished in the crash. Judy Van Zant, widow of lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, and Corrina Gaines, daughter of guitarist Steve Gaines and niece of backup singer Cassie Gaines, plan to attend the dedication.

Nuthin' Fancy, a Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band from Florida will perform for an audience that includes crash survivors and their rescuers as well as medical personnel who helped save lives of those who were pulled from the wreckage.

"They are one of the better cover bands in the country," said Nelson.

The concert begins at 7 p.m. at the Fine Arts Building.

The monument that will be unveiled Oct. 20 was originally planned as a green marker from the Department of Archives and History or possibly a Blues Trail marker through the Mississippi Development Authority.

"We had an idea for a highway marker near the crash site on Hwy. 568. It would give fans something to see, touch, remember, and have a picture of when visiting the crash site," Nelson said.

As donations poured in, the group planning the memorial opted to go bigger.

What people will see in Amite County is a black granite marker that is 8 feet tall and 14 feet wide with steps leading up to the monument.

"Dave Pace and Kevin Laird of Brookhaven Monument designed it and laid it out, took what we gave them and made it into what it is," Nelson said. "They did a great job."

The information on the monument came from three Lynyrd Skynyrd scholars — all with Mississippi ties — who hail from Denver, Jacksonville, Florida, and Clarksdale.

"They wrote every word that is on there, went through 40 variations of what ought to fit on the thing, and we've got the pictures on the back of the band members," he said.

On the night of the crash, the band was on the third leg of its Street Survivors Tour. Their leased plane left Greenville, South Carolina, and was headed to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, when it fell from the sky with 26 people on board. Six were killed and the others were seriously injured.

Another monument is in the works to be placed at Southwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center, whose staff treated the survivors. It will be dedicated in a few months, Nelson said.

Donations for the Lynyrd Skynyrd monument and the hospital monument are still accepted and remaining proceeds will go toward a contingency fund to be used for directional marking along the roads leading to the location of the crash site marker, and other related long term expenses, Nelson said.

To donate through GoFundMe search Lynyrd Skynyrd crash site marker. All donations of more than $15 receive a commemorative guitar pick.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/ent ... 022572002/

http://lynyrdskynyrdmarker.com/the-monument/
Southeast Of Disorder

F9LASDEN

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:22 pm

B757Forever wrote:

John Denver
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

bluestreak

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:53 pm

I heard a report which stated that Cassie Gaines had been so fearful of flying in the Convair that she had preferred to travel in the band's cramped equipment truck instead, but Van Zant convinced her to board the plane on October 20. An MTV "Behind the Music" interview with Artimus Pyle revealed that Ronnie Van Zant hated flying, and flying in the old Convair did nothing to ease the fear. He also revealed that Pyle may have had a premonition of his fate. Van Zant had stated that he would never see his 30th birthday. On October 20th, he was 87 days away from turning 30. Van Zant had also started referring to himself about 3 months proir to the accident as "The Mississippi Kid", although he was born in Florida. Pyle stated that Van Zant's only connection to Mississippi was his premonition that he would die there. Pretty creepy.

A monument is supposed to be unveiled today about 400 yards from the crash site. It's about time. Although I was very young when this happened, it touched me. I think it was that crash that spawned my interest, and eventually my career in aviation. My interest grew from trying to gain knowledge about the plane, why it crashed and the resulting tragedy. It was a terrible event, one which will never be forgotten by the ones touched by Lynyrd Skynyrds music.

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be traveling on, now
Cause there's too many places I've got to see
But, if I stayed here with you, girl
Things just couldn't be the same
Cause I'm as free as a bird now
And this bird you can not change
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

FredrikHAD

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 pm

B757Forever wrote:

A lot of these accidents were not scheduled flights, and safety is sadly a lot worse compared to scheduled ones (part 121 in thr US(?)). Also, lots of artists have died in traffic accidents. We had a british band called ”Viola Beach” crash here in Sweden three years ago in a violent car crash. Perhaps the more known bands tend to fly private flights since they can afford it, increasing the risks. Luckily safety has improved greatly since 1977!

OzarkD9S

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:19 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

Ricky Nelson was another performer who died in the crash of a decrepit aircraft. His DC-3 crashed in Texas in Dec, 1985:

I remember driving home in the morning from a friend's New Year's Eve party the night before and heard it on the radio. Yeah, I shed a tear or two.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm

TW870 wrote:
It was a somewhat unusual airplane, as it was marketed as a "Convair 300" - which meant a 240 but with the newer nacelle and exhausts of the 440, where the outlet is a single square chamber rather than the 2 pipes as on the 240. I believe the airplane was still certified as a 240 and only marketed as a 300. Admittedly even as a propliner fan I had never heard of a Convair 300 until fairly recently when reading about this crash.

Close, but you missed one itsby-bitsy detail.
The "newer nacelles & exhausts" were wrapped around some seriously powerful engines. :o
The standard Cv240 had two 2000hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA18 Double Wasp piston radial engines
The "300" had two 2500hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CB16 or CB17
This gave it the same power as the larger Cv340, but without the extra length or wingspan. A bit of a pocket-rocket.

The middle photo is a sister ship to the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane, again a Cv300, on this occasion taking KISS from San Diego to LAX, barely a month before the Skynryd crash. :o
The previous year KISS had chartered a Pan Am 747SP for their Japan tour (or most probably just for the flight to Japan!), renamed "Clipper KISS Special" for the day. So the Convair brought them back down to earth, though not quite in the same way as Skynyrd.
And much more up to date, on the right is a CRJ200 from the KISS 2010 European Tour.

I'm betting KISS changed their transport arrangements pretty darn quick after the Skynyrd crash.

p.s. I have never entirely bought the Skynyrd "Learjet" story. At that time the band numbered seven, making eight if you count Steve Gaines' aerophobic wife Cassie. The Learjet 35 (still fairly new in 1977) only seats 6-8pax at best, with precious little room for guitars and such stuff. Definitely a tight squeeze for such a big band.
Contrast that with the Convair which was carrying 24 pax plus heaven knows what when it crashed.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

aemoreira1981

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 pm

B757Forever wrote:

Otis Redding in a plane he owned...and Ricky Nelson (mentioned earlier) also died in plane crashes.

klm617

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:02 am

Who was the Convair originally delivered to ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

TheWorm123

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 am

There was a scene in the movie Con Air, where Garland Greene points out the irony of the other prisoners hijacking the plane from the guards, while dancing along to Sweet Home Alabama.

Quote: “Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.“

I’d heard the song plenty of times before that but I’d never heard of Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Convair crash before that, I googled it and read the details after that.

I’ve linked the clip below if it interests anybody:
https://youtu.be/Q2GCgLDFkIA
752 753 A332

TW870

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:17 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
The "newer nacelles & exhausts" were wrapped around some seriously powerful engines. :o
The standard Cv240 had two 2000hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CA18 Double Wasp piston radial engines
The "300" had two 2500hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-CB16 or CB17
This gave it the same power as the larger Cv340, but without the extra length or wingspan. A bit of a pocket-rocket.

Aah I should have known/assumed that. It is funny that we were just talking about a related topic in the DC-3 crash thread. Once 115/145 "hot gas" became unavailable, it would have been less of a pocket rocket, as the CB16/CB17 engine was de-rated as the superchargers were limited to low-blower with 100 octane gas. Granted, it wouldn't have taken it all the way down to 2000 horsepower, but it was still a hit. And I think hot gas was vanishing right around the time of the Lynyrd Skynyrd crash.

JannEejit
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:38 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

p.s. I have never entirely bought the Skynyrd "Learjet" story. At that time the band numbered seven, making eight if you count Steve Gaines' aerophobic wife Cassie. The Learjet 35 (still fairly new in 1977) only seats 6-8pax at best, with precious little room for guitars and such stuff. Definitely a tight squeeze for such a big band.
Contrast that with the Convair which was carrying 24 pax plus heaven knows what when it crashed.

I did wonder about that myself and assumed he was talking "Learjet" in generic terms, as non expert types tend to do ? I was also curious as to what "airliner sized" jets were gainfully employed in rock star, executive, sports teams transport in the late 1970's. I know Elvis had his Convair 880 (amongst other types) and Hugh Hefner had the DC-9 Bunny Jet. What else was carrying a crew/band/entourage of around 30 people back then. Where there any exec layout 737-200s then, for example ?

JannEejit
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:42 am

klm617 wrote:

Good question, apparently it was #3 off the line in 1947 though.

26point2

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Led Zeppelin used a Boeing 720 in the early-mid 1970s for their Song Remains the Same Tour and concert Movie. I believe the band actually owned this plane but not certain....details are a bit fuzzy.

...also, in mid 90s I stood at the urinal next to Steven Tyler of Aerosmith at the SFO FBO (the old Butler Aviation Terminal). The band had just landed in a Cessna Citation II with an “Aero-Force One” decal emblazoned on the side. I always thought that plane seemed too small for an entire band to fly around in

Nomadd

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Reminds me of the scene from "Almost famous".

727LOVER

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:55 pm

klm617 wrote:

Eastern....I remember reading that somewhere

E D I T:
I seem to be wrong...this says Western
https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Re ... 5VM/759014

If you click the reg...it provides the details. Click 1st one..and it says line #3...click last reg...will show it was the Lynard Skynard plane
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 pm

JannEejit wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
p.s. I have never entirely bought the Skynyrd "Learjet" story... Definitely a tight squeeze for such a big band.

I did wonder about that myself and assumed he was talking "Learjet" in generic terms, as non expert types tend to do ? I was also curious as to what "airliner sized" jets were gainfully employed in rock star, executive, sports teams transport in the late 1970's. I know Elvis had his Convair 880 (amongst other types) and Hugh Hefner had the DC-9 Bunny Jet. What else was carrying a crew/band/entourage of around 30 people back then. Where there any exec layout 737-200s then, for example ?

LOL - back in the 70's the world consisted of much more than just 737s. In fact, in those days 737s were still an ugly duckling struggling to gain a foothold against the all-conquering Boeing 727!
And rock bands may have displayed a "money-no-object" image, but mostly they were kept to a tight budget. New equipment (such as a fairly new 737-200), was way beyond their means
On the other hand, a fuel hungry dinosaur that was going to spend most of it's day sitting on the deck, was ideal.
And one that was thirsty and noisy was even better - Bon Jovi's BAC-1-11 springs to mind. :rotfl:

Elvis specialized in such dinosaurs, with not only the Convair 880 you mentioned above, but also two equally thirsty (& noisy) Jetstars.

To be fair, he also sometimes used a quite sensible G2 (N8000J)

Here is the Caesars Palace Boeing 720, used by Led Zeppelin for their 1977 tour, and also by Elton John and the Bee Gees.

Another Boeing 720 N7201U, the first built, used by Allman Brothers, Deep Purple, Olivia Newton-John, Peter Frampton, Elton John, and Gary Wright (who?)

The Earth, Wind and Fire Viscount, also used by Boston a couple of years later.

Two from Alice Cooper; a Lockheed L-188 Electra (1973), and another example of the ever popular Convair 240 series - this one an ex-Luftwaffe Cv440 seen here at LHR in 1975.
Did Mr Furnier really fly this across the Atlantic, or did he just meet up with it after flying Pan Am?

I would be amazed if the L-188 wasn't the chariot of choice for several other rock entities back then.

There's also a publicity still of The Eagles in front of Cessna 401B N7924Q, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

And then of course, there was the Jefferson Airplane..... :lol:

JannEejit
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:35 pm

All very interesting, thanks for the info and pics. Yes, I guess budgets were tight and brand new, at the time current types were out of reach for even the most affluent of rock stars. Going back to the original subject. The Skynyrd aircraft, operated by 'The L&J Company' ? Anyone know what became of them after the crash ? Did they get heavily censured, or go out of business, or change name etc ? I note there is a current LJ Aviation in the States operating a business jet fleet, which appears to date back to 1980. I presume this company is not related to the original L&J ?

https://www.ljaviation.com/

bluestreak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Back when I was a teenager in the early 80's, I had a poster of the rock band U2 on my wall. They were standing in front of a large 4 bladed prop, and a skinny looking engine. Living in the southeastern United States, I didn't see many planes that looked like that. Being an airplane nut even back then, I tried to figure out what kind of plane it was. Eventually, I learned that it was a Viscount, but I'm not sure if they used it while touring in the US, or Europe.

After I moved out of my parents house, I tried to find the poster. I have no idea what happened to it.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

DL_Mech

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm

26point2 wrote:
Led Zeppelin used a Boeing 720 in the early-mid 1970s for their Song Remains the Same Tour and concert Movie. I believe the band actually owned this plane but not certain....details are a bit fuzzy.

Here is some info about "The Starship"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starship
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm

bluestreak wrote:
Back when I was a teenager in the early 80's, I had a poster of the rock band U2 on my wall. They were standing in front of a large 4 bladed prop, and a skinny looking engine. Living in the southeastern United States, I didn't see many planes that looked like that. Being an airplane nut even back then, I tried to figure out what kind of plane it was. Eventually, I learned that it was a Viscount, but I'm not sure if they used it while touring in the US, or Europe.

After I moved out of my parents house, I tried to find the poster. I have no idea what happened to it.

You say U2, but ….I'm going to take a real risk here and suggest you also had posters of Freddie Mercury & Queen.
Here they are in front of that Viscount (and boy was that a b1tch to find!)

The photo is for sale for $800, so I'm guessing posting it here will violate copyright.
Follow the link and see for yourself.
https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/co ... otographs-

mga707

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:18 am

727LOVER wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Eastern....I remember reading that somewhere

E D I T:
I seem to be wrong...this says Western
https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Re ... 5VM/759014

If you click the reg...it provides the details. Click 1st one..and it says line #3...click last reg...will show it was the Lynard Skynard plane

Western is correct. They were an early 240 operator, as was American, who ordered 75, a huge order at that time. Eastern did not operate Convair twins until they got 440s around 1957, mainly to replace their older Martin 404s.

mga707

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:26 am

Paul McCartney and Wings toured the US in 1976 using a BAC-111. That aircraft, at least the boarding door, is seen on the cover of the live "Wings Over America" 2-LP set that was released the following year. An outfit based at my home town airport, TUS, had a thriving concert tour charter business in the 1970s and 80s with a fleet of Viscounts. The Go Group, aka Ron Clark Enterprises. They also briefly ran scheduled flights with the Viscounts in the southwest in 1982-83 as Royal American Airways. Flew them several times on their triangular TUS-SAN-LAS-TUS route. The Viscount pictured earlier, N24V, was one of their aircraft.

FlyHappy

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:35 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
bluestreak wrote:

You say U2, but ….I'm going to take a real risk here and suggest you also had posters of Freddie Mercury & Queen.
Here they are in front of that Viscount (and boy was that a b1tch to find!)

The photo is for sale for $800, so I'm guessing posting it here will violate copyright.
Follow the link and see for yourself.
https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/co ... otographs-

Seriously, don't even care about the prop or the Viscount... but that photo of young Mercury and Michael Jackson together - awesome. Just awesome.

TW870

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:28 am

mga707 wrote:
Paul McCartney and Wings toured the US in 1976 using a BAC-111. That aircraft, at least the boarding door, is seen on the cover of the live "Wings Over America" 2-LP set that was released the following year. An outfit based at my home town airport, TUS, had a thriving concert tour charter business in the 1970s and 80s with a fleet of Viscounts. The Go Group, aka Ron Clark Enterprises. They also briefly ran scheduled flights with the Viscounts in the southwest in 1982-83 as Royal American Airways. Flew them several times on their triangular TUS-SAN-LAS-TUS route. The Viscount pictured earlier, N24V, was one of their aircraft.

I was just about to post about those TUS VIP Viscounts. The first time I visited TUS was 1990, and there were probably about 15 viscounts on the field. All were in good condition, but I think none were active by that point. From what I understood, their most recent endeavors were the concert tour business. Did any of those frames get preserved? Just as an aside, I got access to the ramp at Hamilton Aviation on that same trip, with a motley mix of Electras, Convairs, a C-97, and a few DC-8s and 707s. TUS was just fantastic back in the day.

mga707

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 am

TW870 wrote:
mga707 wrote:

I was just about to post about those TUS VIP Viscounts. The first time I visited TUS was 1990, and there were probably about 15 viscounts on the field. All were in good condition, but I think none were active by that point. From what I understood, their most recent endeavors were the concert tour business. Did any of those frames get preserved? Just as an aside, I got access to the ramp at Hamilton Aviation on that same trip, with a motley mix of Electras, Convairs, a C-97, and a few DC-8s and 707s. TUS was just fantastic back in the day.

All of the Viscounts are long gone at TUS. The former Go Air hangar, ramp, and office, at the SE corner of East Valencia Road and South Park Avenue, is empty. Expect the entire area to be torn down shortly as the Arizona ANG unit that flies F-16s out of TUS is going to expand their adjacent facility. If memory serves, they operation shut down right around the time of your visit in '90. The last concert aircraft I can remember was for Rod Stewart's 1988-89 "Out Of Order" tour, one of the Viscounts was stickered with that tour logo. The only preserved former Go Group Viscount that I know of is the one just 'down the road' (Valencia) at the Pima Air and Space Museum.

Flyingdevil737

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 am

B757Forever wrote:

Glenn Miller
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.

mga707

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:12 am

Flyingdevil737 wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

Glenn Miller

Kyu Sakamoto, huge in Japan, known in the US for his 1963 #1 single "Sukiyaki", in the 1985 (going from memory on the year) JAL 747 crash into Mt. Fuji.

JannEejit
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:11 am

And in June 1983, up and coming Canadian folk singer, Stan Rogers perished on Air Canada flight 797, after an onboard fire turned into a major flashover after the DC-9's doors were opened upon emergency landing.

https://youtu.be/CGBnFPS3d_w

US319

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Aaliyah in 2001 because the plane was too heavy and perhaps the pilot was loco. And in Europe also in 2001 Melanie Thornton and members of a girl band called Passion Fruit, all perished on board Crossair 3597.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos