Sparker
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am

VC10er wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
If Qantas uses a 789, why couldn’t UA use one of theirs? At my last company we were forbidden by corporate travel to book business on that SQ A340-500 because of price. We had to fly either UA via HKG or BA flying in the opposite direction due to corporate contacts. If that is true with other big corporations, if UA could do it nonstop for a lower fare than Qantas or SQ to SIN, what would UA need to do to use a 789 to fly nonstop EWR to SYD/SIN? A special subfleet configured 789 with very High J and PE, or would they require additional fuel tanks, (engines?)


The two questions for UA (or any other airline contemplating competing with QF on these direct routes) would be:
  • Whether it would be cost-effective to set up a subfleet to fly ULH routes. QF may have an advantage here, because such a large proportion of their North and South American, European and South African routes are ULH, so QF can cost-effectively set up a fairly large ULH fleet - greater flexibility to redeploy planes onto different routes, greater redundancy when a plane goes tech, fewer nasty surprises for customers from cancelling direct flights or substituting sub-standard LH products with lots of blocked seats etc.
  • Whether it could command the yield premium to fill a large F/J/W cabin AND get passengers to pay more to fly direct. Again, QF may have an advantage here, with its near-monopoly on the relatively high-yielding Australian corporate market through QFF. And, because Australian passengers are generally more accustomed to flying long-haul, and so more likely to fly ULH. Anecdotally, at least, US and European passengers are less used to flying longhaul and prefer to have a stopover.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7975
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 am

Pcoder wrote:
Someone I knew went to a conference with Alan Joyce as speaker and he said that a fair number of their premium passengers are rewards or upgrades.



For domestic absolutely, no doubt at all, and by sheer numbers therefore the statement is probably not incorrect as an airline-wide average. I assumed we were talking about long haul though, and upgrades and classic awards in Business on routes like LHR and LAX are exceptionally rare. Not unheard of, but I would never plan my travel around the hope of a points upgrade.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:22 pm

HP69 wrote:
Will QF fly to EWR instead of JFK? It would shave off a few hundred miles.


Why is that? They are at most, just across the river from each other...
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:31 pm

airbazar wrote:
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
PR and marketing!

That and Boeing doesn't want to lose this sale.
Every passenger on this flight had a flat bed to sleep on. With enough movies to watch and a flat bed to sleep on, 20 hours in a plane is really easy. Research my a$$. It's 100% publicity.
As for the pilots, it's a double crew = 10 hour work day. Some of us do that nearly every day of the week in 6x6 cubicle without a window :rotfl:


I disagree. 20 hours stuck in a metal tube breathing recycled air on a flat bed is not easy, despite the movies that may be available. I would not/could not do it without a prescription for ambien or lunesta or some such.
 
AlexBrewster03
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:32 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
HP69 wrote:
Will QF fly to EWR instead of JFK? It would shave off a few hundred miles.


Why is that? They are at most, just across the river from each other...

Flying to EWR would save no more than 30 miles, besides AA is at JFK and despite their diminishing operations, still offer valuable connections
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:47 pm

The difference in flying miles between EWR and JFK is more than 17 miles, depending on which runways are in use. But it's not enough to make it more than a rounding error when flying from SYD.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
HP69 wrote:
Will QF fly to EWR instead of JFK? It would shave off a few hundred miles.


Why is that? They are at most, just across the river from each other...

Flying to EWR would save no more than 30 miles, besides AA is at JFK and despite their diminishing operations, still offer valuable connections


The poster stated there would be a shaving of a few hundred miles. My question was how is this possible given the proximity of one to the other.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Bricktop wrote:
The difference in flying miles between EWR and JFK is more than 17 miles, depending on which runways are in use. But it's not enough to make it more than a rounding error when flying from SYD.


Thanks. Just as I thought.
 
HP69
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Bricktop wrote:
The difference in flying miles between EWR and JFK is more than 17 miles, depending on which runways are in use. But it's not enough to make it more than a rounding error when flying from SYD.


Thank you this is all I meant.
 
Pcoder
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Pcoder wrote:
Someone I knew went to a conference with Alan Joyce as speaker and he said that a fair number of their premium passengers are rewards or upgrades.



For domestic absolutely, no doubt at all, and by sheer numbers therefore the statement is probably not incorrect as an airline-wide average. I assumed we were talking about long haul though, and upgrades and classic awards in Business on routes like LHR and LAX are exceptionally rare. Not unheard of, but I would never plan my travel around the hope of a points upgrade.


I'll have to note there is always more demand on the upgrades for international and fewer seats available, which is another reason why it can be hard to get. I'd imagine platinums and golds get the majority of the upgrades, with the occasional lower status member getting lucky (Just did a dummy booking for qf11 with 4 business pax on Thursday, and the seats are still available)

I'm pretty sure if Qantas we're projecting most premium seats would be sold on a service like this, they would go for a Singapore style layout, but I'm just providing a reason why Qantas is going four class.
 
HP69
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:52 pm

So which NYC airport will QF fly to? EWR, JFK, or LGA?
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2932
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
HP69 wrote:
Fuling wrote:

So it's 19 miles then


Source?


Did you really just ask for a source for a mile converter?

SYD-EWR: 9,930 mi
SYD-JFK: 9,950 mi

20 mi = 17 nmi

Source: Google


EWR-SIN is eastbound to take advantage of prevailing winds. Additionally, Singapore is in the Northern Hemisphere (barely). JFK-SYD has to be against headwinds until it passes the equator, which is about at the International Date Line.

As for which airport, given that AA and QF have a JV, I expect that it would be JFK. I also expect that AA might up-gauge one of its transcon flights to a B788 or B789 on JFK-LAX primarily for connections to and from BNE and MEL, as I expect that the LAX-JFK sector on QF11/12 (on the aircraft that flies QF15/6) would be dropped.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7215
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 am

There is no blanket approval for ULH routes, each route needs a separate approval from local CAA. Some CAAs just stamp, some ask for proving flights.

QF is looking for a 24 hr duty limit, it is not going to be easy win from CASA and/or unions.

I think the world is spoiled by City State CAAs and their sister sovereign airlines with a non-union crew getting instant approvals for anything they want. For those yes this looks like a PR stunt.
 
JFKJets
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 am

I attended the departure event at JFK Friday. The route will definitely be from JFK using either the 777X or an A350 with both Boeing and Airbus currently making pitches to Qantas. If QF can get union approval, these flights will start after 2021.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:29 am

HP69 wrote:
So which NYC airport will QF fly to? EWR, JFK, or LGA?


I'm being honest here but I have great difficulty finding some of your questions that you ask on these forums being taken seriously!

QF already fly to JFK and have done for decades.

LGA for obvious reasons won't ever see QF using the airport.

EWR won't be seeing QF either.

By all means ask questions as these forums are the place to ask such questions but for your sake and for others please think and put some thought into it before posting such questions as you have done in this case!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
gokmengs
Posts: 1238
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:28 am

HP69 wrote:
So which NYC airport will QF fly to? EWR, JFK, or LGA?

LGA with the 380, brakes on full thrust almost an aircraft carrier type operation, hence these research flights.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa
 
Cunard
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 am

gokmengs wrote:
HP69 wrote:
So which NYC airport will QF fly to? EWR, JFK, or LGA?

LGA with the 380, brakes on full thrust almost an aircraft carrier type operation, hence these research flights.


Let alone the Perimeter rule :-)

I'm sure your agree with me that it was a ridiculous question!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
HM7
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:40 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
HP69 wrote:

Source?


Did you really just ask for a source for a mile converter?

SYD-EWR: 9,930 mi
SYD-JFK: 9,950 mi

20 mi = 17 nmi

Source: Google


EWR-SIN is eastbound to take advantage of prevailing winds. Additionally, Singapore is in the Northern Hemisphere (barely). JFK-SYD has to be against headwinds until it passes the equator, which is about at the International Date Line.

As for which airport, given that AA and QF have a JV, I expect that it would be JFK. I also expect that AA might up-gauge one of its transcon flights to a B788 or B789 on JFK-LAX primarily for connections to and from BNE and MEL, as I expect that the LAX-JFK sector on QF11/12 (on the aircraft that flies QF15/6) would be dropped.


But who in the right mind would want to fly American if they can fly Qantas? I imagine the existing MEL and BNE traffic would connect through Sydney, not LAX.
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER
 
User avatar
Coal
Posts: 2539
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:14 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:21 am

btfarrwm wrote:
SIN-EWR was started as an all-J layout. Even on the A350, it’s First, Business and Premium Economy. I think they want to do research on ULH flights in economy class for one.

No. It started as J + PEY, then went to all J. This was all with the A345. When it relaunched with the A359ULR it went back to its roots of J + PEY.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN
 
paperwastage
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:45 am

HM7 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Did you really just ask for a source for a mile converter?

SYD-EWR: 9,930 mi
SYD-JFK: 9,950 mi

20 mi = 17 nmi

Source: Google


EWR-SIN is eastbound to take advantage of prevailing winds. Additionally, Singapore is in the Northern Hemisphere (barely). JFK-SYD has to be against headwinds until it passes the equator, which is about at the International Date Line.

As for which airport, given that AA and QF have a JV, I expect that it would be JFK. I also expect that AA might up-gauge one of its transcon flights to a B788 or B789 on JFK-LAX primarily for connections to and from BNE and MEL, as I expect that the LAX-JFK sector on QF11/12 (on the aircraft that flies QF15/6) would be dropped.


But who in the right mind would want to fly American if they can fly Qantas? I imagine the existing MEL and BNE traffic would connect through Sydney, not LAX.

Someone who doesn't want to fly that long, or don't want to ay the price premium?

Even for SQ, they file different fares for PE EWR-SIN vs PE JFK-FRA-SIN.

The nonstop is generally more expensive, though you can usually find it cheaper on sale ($1000) because SQ find it harder to fill up PE on nonstop (whoever cares about the nonstop would usually have enough $ to pay for J).
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2932
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:52 pm

How does the recently announced AKL-EWR route by Air New Zealand affect Qantas on this?
 
airbazar
Posts: 9766
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:19 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
airbazar wrote:
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
PR and marketing!

That and Boeing doesn't want to lose this sale.
Every passenger on this flight had a flat bed to sleep on. With enough movies to watch and a flat bed to sleep on, 20 hours in a plane is really easy. Research my a$$. It's 100% publicity.
As for the pilots, it's a double crew = 10 hour work day. Some of us do that nearly every day of the week in 6x6 cubicle without a window :rotfl:


I disagree. 20 hours stuck in a metal tube breathing recycled air on a flat bed is not easy, despite the movies that may be available. I would not/could not do it without a prescription for ambien or lunesta or some such.


For you personally but not an issue for me personally. But the world is full of people who are as different as you and me.
I was flying 14+ hours in economy between SIN-LHR and SFO-HKG long before there were flat beds, modern AVOD, and cleaner air to bread.
The thing I question here is whether there is a market for NYC-SYD non-stop given that there is very little in terms of viable connections on either side.
Are there any ULH routes that don't pull connections on at least one side? I don't think so.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 9117
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
How does the recently announced AKL-EWR route by Air New Zealand affect Qantas on this?


Its been known for a while that both QF and NZ has JFK/EWR on their wishlist. It really doesn't affect Qantas at all. They already fly to JFK currently so they have a good idea of what the market is, SYD-JFK market for business is bigger than AKL-EWR plus QF also have a large FF base and domestic network to feed the flight
Forum Moderator
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:26 pm

airbazar wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
airbazar wrote:
That and Boeing doesn't want to lose this sale.
Every passenger on this flight had a flat bed to sleep on. With enough movies to watch and a flat bed to sleep on, 20 hours in a plane is really easy. Research my a$$. It's 100% publicity.
As for the pilots, it's a double crew = 10 hour work day. Some of us do that nearly every day of the week in 6x6 cubicle without a window :rotfl:


I disagree. 20 hours stuck in a metal tube breathing recycled air on a flat bed is not easy, despite the movies that may be available. I would not/could not do it without a prescription for ambien or lunesta or some such.


For you personally but not an issue for me personally. But the world is full of people who are as different as you and me.
I was flying 14+ hours in economy between SIN-LHR and SFO-HKG long before there were flat beds, modern AVOD, and cleaner air to bread.
The thing I question here is whether there is a market for NYC-SYD non-stop given that there is very little in terms of viable connections on either side.
Are there any ULH routes that don't pull connections on at least one side? I don't think so.


Isn't the current longest flight in the world a flight that doesn't pull too many connections? I could be wrong, but my feeling having taken it a few times is SQ21/22 is mostly O&D.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4130
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:58 pm

QF to JFK is not a nonstop though, is it? I guess I could go try and book it and see, but where do they stop to pick up more fuel, and what aircraft do they use? Last I saw Oantas at JFK was a 744

Thanks

As for UA, thanks, totally makes sense that UA would not have enough ULH needs for a large enough subfleet. But, then I think about "why wouldn't UA then add some ULH beyond SYD to Pacific destinations (Eg; Singapore for one). Everyone knows UA owns AsiaPac among the US3, personally I think with NEW Polaris seats it would be fine. Total no-go if it was an old Diamond seat! Really, all I am doing is dreaming. I think it adds prestige to have some ULH like that and UA could use some big "jewel in the crown" routes from EWR.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:00 pm

VC10er wrote:
QF to JFK is not a nonstop though, is it? I guess I could go try and book it and see, but where do they stop to pick up more fuel, and what aircraft do they use? Last I saw Oantas at JFK was a 744

Thanks

As for UA, thanks, totally makes sense that UA would not have enough ULH needs for a large enough subfleet. But, then I think about "why wouldn't UA then add some ULH beyond SYD to Pacific destinations (Eg; Singapore for one). Everyone knows UA owns AsiaPac among the US3, personally I think with NEW Polaris seats it would be fine. Total no-go if it was an old Diamond seat! Really, all I am doing is dreaming. I think it adds prestige to have some ULH like that and UA could use some big "jewel in the crown" routes from EWR.


Right now it goes JFK-LAX-OZ. I believe the actual plane that flies the JFK-LAX leg continues to BNE, but the JFK-LAX flight can take passengers that go onward to BNE, SYD or MEL (they don't have rights for just JFK-LAX).

I think right now the JFK-LAX leg is a B789 (which is also on the LAX-BNE, while LAX-SYD/MEL is an A388)
 
A388
Posts: 7910
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm

UA not going for ultra long haul aside, UA wouldn't have a sub fleet for this if they did want to go for it. They would probably go for the 787-9 which already is in their fleet. QF did that ultra long haul flight from JFK to SYD on a 787-9 so it is possible. UA would only need to reconfigure a few 787-9's for this purpose but I wouldn't classify it as a sub fleet.

A388
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:29 pm

A388 wrote:
UA not going for ultra long haul aside, UA wouldn't have a sub fleet for this if they did want to go for it. They would probably go for the 787-9 which already is in their fleet. QF did that ultra long haul flight from JFK to SYD on a 787-9 so it is possible. UA would only need to reconfigure a few 787-9's for this purpose but I wouldn't classify it as a sub fleet.

A388


QF used the 787-9 as a test flight. There's no guarantee when they eventually decide on the route it will be on a B789.

In fact I think the initial discussion focused around a A359 or B77X
 
airbazar
Posts: 9766
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

I disagree. 20 hours stuck in a metal tube breathing recycled air on a flat bed is not easy, despite the movies that may be available. I would not/could not do it without a prescription for ambien or lunesta or some such.


For you personally but not an issue for me personally. But the world is full of people who are as different as you and me.
I was flying 14+ hours in economy between SIN-LHR and SFO-HKG long before there were flat beds, modern AVOD, and cleaner air to bread.
The thing I question here is whether there is a market for NYC-SYD non-stop given that there is very little in terms of viable connections on either side.
Are there any ULH routes that don't pull connections on at least one side? I don't think so.


Isn't the current longest flight in the world a flight that doesn't pull too many connections? I could be wrong, but my feeling having taken it a few times is SQ21/22 is mostly O&D.


There's a big difference between "not too many" and "none whatsoever" which is what QF would have especially if they are going to try to run this with Y seats.
EWR is a major UA hub with connections on UA to every major city in the U.S. I would be shocked if there aren't some connections on both sides of that route.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm

airbazar wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

For you personally but not an issue for me personally. But the world is full of people who are as different as you and me.
I was flying 14+ hours in economy between SIN-LHR and SFO-HKG long before there were flat beds, modern AVOD, and cleaner air to bread.
The thing I question here is whether there is a market for NYC-SYD non-stop given that there is very little in terms of viable connections on either side.
Are there any ULH routes that don't pull connections on at least one side? I don't think so.


Isn't the current longest flight in the world a flight that doesn't pull too many connections? I could be wrong, but my feeling having taken it a few times is SQ21/22 is mostly O&D.


There's a big difference between "not too many" and "none whatsoever" which is what QF would have especially if they are going to try to run this with Y seats.
EWR is a major UA hub with connections on UA to every major city in the U.S. I would be shocked if there aren't some connections on both sides of that route.


Why do you think there are 'none whatsoever' for QF? JFK is a AA hub (albeit much smaller hub than UA @ EWR), and also it can gather ex-SYD traffic on the Australia side.
 
WorldFlier
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:04 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
HP69 wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

difference is 17 nm, syd - jfk 8646 nm, syd -ewr 8629 nm


That is nm in real miles it is much more.

What?? EWR is on the other side of the river not other side of the country. Just looking at the map!

Michael


Ya and it takes 2 hours to cross that [expletive deleted] river...

Image

/Sarcasm in case anyone can't tell
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
HP69 wrote:

That is nm in real miles it is much more.

What?? EWR is on the other side of the river not other side of the country. Just looking at the map!

Michael


Ya and it takes 2 hours to cross that [expletive deleted] river...

Image

/Sarcasm in case anyone can't tell


This reminds me of when I was on an Egyptair flight CAI-JFK and near the end the pilot announced we were going to land in EWR because of heavy fog.
In the end we landed in JFK (the fog was ridiculous), but as someone who lived in NJ I was seriously wondering if I could convince them to let me just leave at EWR and not have to wait for clearance to land in JFK, sit through the pointless 20 min flight or whatever and then deal with NYC traffic on the way home.
 
User avatar
malaysia
Posts: 2644
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 1999 3:26 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm

ewt340 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
Believe it or not, there are actually people out there who would pay money to be tortured for 19 hours.



Besides, First, Business and premium economy would fine. You only need to worry about economy class.


What if UA did this from EWR-SYD with a 789... currently they just got old J class and regular economy.... I bet that would be hard
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens
 
AngMoh
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:35 pm

I have done SIN-EWR-SIN in premium economy on A350-500. What nobody mentions is that the A350 and 787 are significantly faster than the A340. For me, SIN-EWR and EWR-SIN were both around 18h45m flying time which was average at that time. Currently it is about an hour less on average and it makes a difference in how you feel.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7975
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:55 am

For those who didn't notice, the QF 789 was carrying maximum fuel when it took off from JFK with 50 pople (pax + crew) on board. There is no way whatsoever that QF, UA or anyone else would consider NYC-SYD with a 789. It is simply too far, and the weight penalties mean the route would never have any hope of being anything other than a dumpster fire. The route needs the next generation of ULR aircraft to be able to carry a meaningful payload.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
bcworld
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:28 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 am

AngMoh wrote:
I have done SIN-EWR-SIN in premium economy on A350-500. What nobody mentions is that the A350 and 787 are significantly faster than the A340. For me, SIN-EWR and EWR-SIN were both around 18h45m flying time which was average at that time. Currently it is about an hour less on average and it makes a difference in how you feel.


I don't think 18h45m was average...not for SIN-EWR anyway...it was scheduled at 18h25m...when I took SQ22 back in 2004 that was bang on. I'd be surprised if it was scheduld at less than the average flight time.

And I think there are a whole lot of other factors that come before an extra <5% flight time...departure / arrival time, cabin comfort etc.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14054
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
For those who didn't notice, the QF 789 was carrying maximum fuel when it took off from JFK with 50 pople (pax + crew) on board. There is no way whatsoever that QF, UA or anyone else would consider NYC-SYD with a 789. It is simply too far, and the weight penalties mean the route would never have any hope of being anything other than a dumpster fire. The route needs the next generation of ULR aircraft to be able to carry a meaningful payload.


Exactly, and the reason why QF is only looking at the 77X and A350.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:25 am

zeke wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
For those who didn't notice, the QF 789 was carrying maximum fuel when it took off from JFK with 50 pople (pax + crew) on board. There is no way whatsoever that QF, UA or anyone else would consider NYC-SYD with a 789. It is simply too far, and the weight penalties mean the route would never have any hope of being anything other than a dumpster fire. The route needs the next generation of ULR aircraft to be able to carry a meaningful payload.


Exactly, and the reason why QF is only looking at the 77X and A350.


Or more simply, the reason for 'Project Sunrise' in the first place.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3307
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 am

aa87 wrote:
Apologies if already covered, but I have a specific question. Great feat and kudos to QF, but with all the talk of research of effects of ultra-long haul and testing, etc., what exactly is so different about JFK-SYD (up to 20 hours depending on winds) v. EWR-SIN (up to 19 hours) ? SIN first launched that I think a good 10 years ago with an A340 (-500 or -600), and resumed w an A350 after a hiatus of a few years. Not taking anything away from QF, but is an extra 1.5-2 hours really such a watershed, either technologically or biologically for PAX ?


Qantas will use 787-9 with 46"/80" Business (1-2-1), 38" Premium Economy with 20.5" seat bottom & 32" coach (3-3-3) wth 17.2" seat bottom.

Singapore uses A350-900 with 60"/78" Business (1-2-1) & 38" Premium Economy (2-4-2) with 19.5" seat bottoms in coach.

How would you feel after 20 hours in those coach seats with smaller armrest.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14054
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
Or more simply, the reason for 'Project Sunrise' in the first place.


QF have flown a 744 from LHR to SYD in 20:09 and a A332 from TLS to MEL in 20:35.

JFK-SYD is not the longest flight time they have done in a jet aircraft, nor the longest distance.

This is typical marketing b/s
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:49 am

zeke wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Or more simply, the reason for 'Project Sunrise' in the first place.


QF have flown a 744 from LHR to SYD in 20:09 and a A332 from TLS to MEL in 20:35.

JFK-SYD is not the longest flight time they have done in a jet aircraft, nor the longest distance.

This is typical marketing b/s


I'm confused. Those were one-offs. The goal here is for an ongoing route from JFK-SYD (and eventually LHR-SYD).

I agree this current test flight is marketing b/s but the end goal here is real.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14054
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
I'm confused. Those were one-offs. The goal here is for an ongoing route from JFK-SYD (and eventually LHR-SYD)


SYD-LHR will be the first route, followed by MEL-LHR.

These 787 flights are one offs, they will not be used on these sunrise routes with commercial payloads.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Sparker
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:27 am

rbavfan wrote:
aa87 wrote:
Apologies if already covered, but I have a specific question. Great feat and kudos to QF, but with all the talk of research of effects of ultra-long haul and testing, etc., what exactly is so different about JFK-SYD (up to 20 hours depending on winds) v. EWR-SIN (up to 19 hours) ? SIN first launched that I think a good 10 years ago with an A340 (-500 or -600), and resumed w an A350 after a hiatus of a few years. Not taking anything away from QF, but is an extra 1.5-2 hours really such a watershed, either technologically or biologically for PAX ?


Qantas will use 787-9 with 46"/80" Business (1-2-1), 38" Premium Economy with 20.5" seat bottom & 32" coach (3-3-3) wth 17.2" seat bottom.

Singapore uses A350-900 with 60"/78" Business (1-2-1) & 38" Premium Economy (2-4-2) with 19.5" seat bottoms in coach.

How would you feel after 20 hours in those coach seats with smaller armrest.


Qantas will be using a 777X or A350-1000 in a four-class configuration, the details of which have not yet been announced.

Yes, sitting in economy for 20 or so hours will be tough, but Qantas are planning to include a dedicated 'stretching area' in the economy cabin which may help - that's not a feature of most (any?) other long-haul economy cabin that I can think of. And, I suspect a lot of people would prefer to do 20 hours in economy direct, compared to 24+ hours with a bleary-eyed stopover in SIN/LAX/DXB etc. Certainly, the success of the PER-LHR route (including in economy) suggests that there's a market for it.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Qantas Project Sunrise: JFK-SYD v. EWR-SIN ?

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:39 am

zeke wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
I'm confused. Those were one-offs. The goal here is for an ongoing route from JFK-SYD (and eventually LHR-SYD)


SYD-LHR will be the first route, followed by MEL-LHR.

These 787 flights are one offs, they will not be used on these sunrise routes with commercial payloads.


Where did you read those will be first? JFK-SYD is shorter than either anyway.

As it is, I am agreeing with you that the 787 flights are one offs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos