chrisp390
Topic Author
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Is the interior quality of B787 and A350 worse compared to older aircraft generations?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 pm

It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3686
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Another Boeing bash. Give it up please. The care and maintenance of interiors is pretty much an operator issue. Some do it better than others.
 
User avatar
TVNWZ
Posts: 2204
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 pm

The interior specs are developed by the airlines. If they are deteriorating, then airline cheapness is the reason I would guess.
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:06 pm

I would say that this is not Boeing specific, but an industry-wide problem, especially on widebodies.
I do like the interior design on the B787, they are quite well done, perhaps slightly better than the A350. Seat comfort is also not too bad, except seat width in 9-abreast.

I also think that a lot of material is getting shaved righht and left in an effort to save weight, so you get less durable fixtures.

This being said, if you compare the current interiors to something on the MD-11 or B742, we can't complain.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3164
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:06 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
The interior specs are developed by the airlines. If they are deteriorating, then airline cheapness is the reason I would guess.


The seats are, not stuff like the wall and ceiling panels. Most airlines also stock to the default lavatories. And yes, the 787 interior is bad. Crumbling window switches, poorly fitting wall panels that rub or rattle against each other etc. I consistently find that 20 year older 777s and A330s are in better shape.
 
LDRA
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 pm

Carbon fiber flexes more than Aluminum
 
B757Forever
Posts: 820
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 pm

I have no direct experience with the 787 but I do with the A350. In the quest to decrease weight, the manufacturers (Airbus and I assume Boeing also) have moved to a lower density plastic in the cabins. The result is lightweight components that are easily damaged and are not nearly as robust as the components found on the 767/777/A330 I'm accustomed to.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.
 
DTVG
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 pm

B757Forever wrote:
I have no direct experience with the 787 but I do with the A350. In the quest to decrease weight, the manufacturers (Airbus and I assume Boeing also) have moved to a lower density plastic in the cabins. The result is lightweight components that are easily damaged and are not nearly as robust as the components found on the 767/777/A330 I'm accustomed to.


Agree, I think the 787 and A350 interiors are aging badly. On one hand shoddy cleaning is to blame, on the other hand cheap suppliers chosen by airlines don’t help. Components seem to discolour, fracture and bend quickly. Especially the lavatories and galleys seem less sturdy. Lately I was surprised to see how crap one of CX‘s A35K looked and felt like (in Y) after a few months of service. The old LH A346 made a better impression.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 6070
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?


What carriers, in what cabins, have left you with that impression? How many times have you flown them?
 
superbizzy73
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Another Boeing bash. Give it up please. The care and maintenance of interiors is pretty much an operator issue. Some do it better than others.


Thank you for bringing this up. The Boeing-bashing on A.net is getting out of hand. (Stepping off my soapbox...back to your regularly scheduled programming.)
 
DDR
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:10 pm

superbizzy73 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Another Boeing bash. Give it up please. The care and maintenance of interiors is pretty much an operator issue. Some do it better than others.


Thank you for bringing this up. The Boeing-bashing on A.net is getting out of hand. (Stepping off my soapbox...back to your regularly scheduled programming.)


Yes and it's normally from the same tired posters. That is why the ignore feature is so great. And to the OP, please provide evidence. I haven't seen one single "shoddy" 787 cabin. Normally the galleys are the first thing that look bad because they get dinged up a lot by equipment and I have yet to see a bad looking galley.

I am assuming the OP has no evidence at all to support his biased claims. And no I'm not biased towards Boeing. I LOVE the A330 and A321.
 
caljn
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?


This reads like the famous "do you still beat your wife" question.
Do the bins on 320's still shake loudly on reverse thrust? So cheap.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3686
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 pm

caljn wrote:
chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?


This reads like the famous "do you still beat your wife" question.
Do the bins on 320's still shake loudly on reverse thrust? So cheap.


Not to mention the barkings dogs in the cargo bins!

Actually I like riding on the Airbus products.
 
dampfnudel
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?

I’m not a fan of Boeing at the moment for their screwups/deceptive tactics, but I think it goes a little too far to criticize something that the airlines also play a big role in bringing to the market (at the lowest cost perhaps).
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR
 
User avatar
caoimhin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:30 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 am

I fly on BA 787s frequently. I’ve not noticed any of the issues you’ve described.
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 am

All aircraft cabins will begin to look rough if they aren’t looked after, same as any car, bus, train etc.
752 753 A332
 
GoSharks
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:33 am

LDRA wrote:
Carbon fiber flexes more than Aluminum

What you're saying means nothing.

It is trivial to make CFRP stiffer than Aluminum. Also quite trivial to have it the other way around.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21781
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 am

caljn wrote:
This reads like the famous "do you still beat your wife" question.

Yep, that is a real thing, even with a wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question ).

Some people can't seem to understand it's a rhetorical question and can't see the assumption built in to the question.

Now, back to complaints about airplane interiors based on nothing but anecdotal evidence.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
carlokiii
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 am

I have been on NH, JQ, and recently, SQ's 787 and they all appeared awfully similar inside save for the different seat colors. SQ's was youngest at flight time, NH was oldest, but they appeared the same quality to me. Windows all worked as they should. Nothing felt and looked remarkably cheap outside of the very flexible sidewalls and very tight lavatories in the JQ, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Some photos showing how rough they are on the inside would help this discussion a lot.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 am

chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?


I wasn't aware that this was an issue. But then again I only work on 787's every day. :scratchchin:
 
seat1a
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 am

Nothing worse than seeing overhead bins 'flutter' on landing in a United Airbus A320 and A319. Is that an airline or Boeing issue?
 
User avatar
Veigar
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:35 am

What airline did you fly?
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1846
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:11 am

Airbus and Boeing only provide the aircraft frame, as in like empty shell. The interior choice is solely determined by the airlines/ operators. Every airlines is now trying to save cost with lightest, tiniest seats/ padding available in the market now. These days the quality of products are not as good as yesteryears since with 1000s of aircraft on order, all OEM are driving down their cost with cheapest materials to meet delivery dates.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 775
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 am

juliuswong wrote:
Airbus and Boeing only provide the aircraft frame, as in like empty shell. The interior choice is solely determined by the airlines/ operators. Every airlines is now trying to save cost with lightest, tiniest seats/ padding available in the market now. These days the quality of products are not as good as yesteryears since with 1000s of aircraft on order, all OEM are driving down their cost with cheapest materials to meet delivery dates.


Source?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
juliuswong
Moderator
Posts: 1846
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:21 am

DL747400 wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Airbus and Boeing only provide the aircraft frame, as in like empty shell. The interior choice is solely determined by the airlines/ operators. Every airlines is now trying to save cost with lightest, tiniest seats/ padding available in the market now. These days the quality of products are not as good as yesteryears since with 1000s of aircraft on order, all OEM are driving down their cost with cheapest materials to meet delivery dates.


Source?

Source for?
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
chrisp390
Topic Author
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:22 am

VSMUT wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
The interior specs are developed by the airlines. If they are deteriorating, then airline cheapness is the reason I would guess.


The seats are, not stuff like the wall and ceiling panels. Most airlines also stock to the default lavatories. And yes, the 787 interior is bad. Crumbling window switches, poorly fitting wall panels that rub or rattle against each other etc. I consistently find that 20 year older 777s and A330s are in better shape.


Yes, this is not an Airbus vs Boeing issue. The Boeing 737 interior for example looks great after 10+ years and yet 787’s only a few years old have discoloured cheap looking plastics, and window switches that are in horrible shape and sometimes don’t even work.
 
Zinu
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:37 am

I recalled the A350 was having cabin finish quality issues with Safran as well (namely seats and toilets).
 
L0VE2FLY
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 am

Reliable switches or not, the dimming windows on the 787 are the absolute worst thing to happen to an airliner's cabin from an aviation enthusiast's perspective, the latest and greatest IFE systems may suffice for your average pax but for the true avgeek looking out the window is simply the best IFE and is certainly not guaranteed on the 787.
Last edited by L0VE2FLY on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:57 am

carlokiii wrote:
I have been on NH, JQ, and recently, SQ's 787 and they all appeared awfully similar inside save for the different seat colors. SQ's was youngest at flight time, NH was oldest, but they appeared the same quality to me. Windows all worked as they should. Nothing felt and looked remarkably cheap outside of the very flexible sidewalls and very tight lavatories in the JQ, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Some photos showing how rough they are on the inside would help this discussion a lot.


I agreed, both 787 and 350 looks older then they should, when compared to other planes from the same airlines.
(i.e. comparing a CX 77W/ 330 with their new 350 etc.)
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:58 am

juliuswong wrote:
Airbus and Boeing only provide the aircraft frame, as in like empty shell. The interior choice is solely determined by the airlines/ operators. Every airlines is now trying to save cost with lightest, tiniest seats/ padding available in the market now. These days the quality of products are not as good as yesteryears since with 1000s of aircraft on order, all OEM are driving down their cost with cheapest materials to meet delivery dates.


I believe Airbus and Boeing have a list of suppliers for airlines to choose from, rather then allowing airlines to shop around by themselves.
 
iamlucky13
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:17 am

Probably the most important question is which airline? Are they cleaning as regularly as other airliners, and replacing parts that get damaged in use?

It's worthwhile to keep in mind how heavily commerical aircraft tend to get used. In a single year, they can accrue as many passenger-butt-hours in each seat as a typical car does in its entire service life.

BravoOne wrote:
caljn wrote:
chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?


Do the bins on 320's still shake loudly on reverse thrust? So cheap.


Not to mention the barkings dogs in the cargo bins!


It's only brief barking, usually shortly after pushback. The dogs tend to quiet down out of confusion when the takeoff roll starts, then pass out as the airplane climbs into thinner air, so they're quiet for the rest of the flight. ;)

VSMUT wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
The interior specs are developed by the airlines. If they are deteriorating, then airline cheapness is the reason I would guess.


The seats are, not stuff like the wall and ceiling panels. Most airlines also stock to the default lavatories. And yes, the 787 interior is bad. Crumbling window switches, poorly fitting wall panels that rub or rattle against each other etc. I consistently find that 20 year older 777s and A330s are in better shape.


I assume, like many other interior parts, the wall panels and lavatories also get periodically replaced?
 
itchief
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Airbus and Boeing only provide the aircraft frame, as in like empty shell. The interior choice is solely determined by the airlines/ operators. Every airlines is now trying to save cost with lightest, tiniest seats/ padding available in the market now. These days the quality of products are not as good as yesteryears since with 1000s of aircraft on order, all OEM are driving down their cost with cheapest materials to meet delivery dates.


I believe Airbus and Boeing have a list of suppliers for airlines to choose from, rather then allowing airlines to shop around by themselves.


Is that why American Airlines has what they call 'Zodiac Concept D' on the 787-8 that no other airline has used?
 
VC10er
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 am

??? I am on a 787 all the time and not once has she felt or looked worn, just beautiful industrial design. The seats, bulkhead and carpets are airline specific, but roughly a month ago I flew a UA 788 (among their oldest) and aside from the old DIAMOND seat, she still looked factory new. Nothing worn or yellowing plastic like a pm 3 Class 767, or even a 764.
The 752’s look like 500 rabid raccoons went on a tear inside- filthy air nozzle grooves, caked with black finger gunk in the nozzle treds.
But my UA 788 had a perfect window control and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the big arched window wells, which when viewed from across the cabin remind me of the arches of San Marco Sq! But futuristic!

Wouldn’t it be up to the airline? I blame UA for having some really knarly 752 interiors and 737-800s. But their 787-10 in Polaris is almost as nice as a 777-300 (which had the new bulkhead branded and lit 3D design- cost cut away!)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
kanban
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:36 am

juliuswong wrote:
Airbus and Boeing only provide the aircraft frame, as in like empty shell. The interior choice is solely determined by the airlines/ operators. Every airlines is now trying to save cost with lightest, tiniest seats/ padding available in the market now. These days the quality of products are not as good as yesteryears since with 1000s of aircraft on order, all OEM are driving down their cost with cheapest materials to meet delivery dates.


at least get your facts straight. Both OEMs sell a completed airplane including interiors.. they offer some options but very few seats, galleys carpets and engines are most notable, others include flight deck goodies.
 
User avatar
kanban
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:58 am

TVNWZ wrote:
The interior specs are developed by the airlines. If they are deteriorating, then airline cheapness is the reason I would guess.

the airlines pick the color, the carpets, the seats, galleys, lads. and not much else in the interior. the interior panels, sidewalls, ceiling, closets class dividers and stowage bins are manufactured in the Boeing Interior shop. generic keeps the costs down and the production schedule steady.
 
hondah35
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:19 am

This reminds me of when AM first introduced 737s to their fleet 15 or so years ago. During any movement by the aircraft--taking off, landing, braking, etc--a loud cracking noise would come from the bins......so loud that it sounded like an entire section of the bins had broken off and were about to fall down. This happened multiple times per flight on every 737 they had.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14936
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 am

kanban wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
The interior specs are developed by the airlines. If they are deteriorating, then airline cheapness is the reason I would guess.

the airlines pick the color, the carpets, the seats, galleys, lads. and not much else in the interior. the interior panels, sidewalls, ceiling, closets class dividers and stowage bins are manufactured in the Boeing Interior shop. generic keeps the costs down and the production schedule steady.

Yes, but do they only offer one ship set or are there interior “grades” you can choose from?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Greychey
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:38 am

On the Ethiopian 787's I flew on, the lettering of the isle numbers seemed faded and worn out, I flew them in 2017, I did not notice this in 2016 on the AA 787's. Only my perspective
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:38 am

In my opinion the look of interiors tends to come down to (1) cleaning and (2) whether or not anything is broken. Those are both in control of the airline.

Probably the single aircraft type I fly most often is AS 737-900ERs. They are mostly less than five years old. I've been on frames that looked brand new, and frames where there were black marks all over sidewalls and the raft cover panels on the ceiling. It creates an entirely different impression, even though the Boeing parts are the same and are generally in good condition.

We have seen pictures on here of AI 788s with cracked overhead panels and seat numbers marked in Sharpie. I don't think that's representative of most operators. I bet you could ride around on ANA 787s every day for a month and not see a defect anywhere.
 
seb76
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:51 am

I remember reading lots of comments here of people bashing Airbus manufacturing quality because the bins would "dance" upon landing. I guess they would be shocked to see how more pronounced this (completely normal) phenomenon is in the 787. Still, every 787 I saw was in very good shape. Maybe because they belonged to ANA and Thai Airwais.
And the seats are never provided by Airbus or Boeing anyway but by third party manufacturers. You can actually find exactly the same seats on several aircraft models, regardless of the manufacturer of the airframe. The quality of the cleaning and maintenance of the airline plays a much bigger role IMHO.
Regarding how plastics get coloured over time, on one hand, things got so much much better since smoking onboard airplanes was banned (no nicotine orange interiors anymore), but on the other hand, it's true that the restrictions on hazardeous substances used in plastics limits the possibilites for preventing that they change colour when aging. That doesn't only affect the 787 however.
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:07 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
All aircraft cabins will begin to look rough if they aren’t looked after, same as any car, bus, train etc.


Absolutely true. But there are varying grades of plastic, some plastics are more prone to scratching and marking than others. I can see this in my own car - the plastics at the top of the dashboard nearer where my eyes see and hands frequently touch is of a much higher quality than the plastics lower down, say, around the seat, which are quite flimsy and scratchy in comparison.

Someone in an earlier post indicated the plastics chosen on the 787/A350 were chosen for their weight, not durability. I reckon this is spot on.

The only thing I will add is that these plastics do not clean well, either - I have noticed a few stained sinks in lavatories on 787s. And more recent 737s/A320s that have done away with stainless steel sinks in favour of one-piece plastic units. They stain horribly.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
questions
Posts: 2066
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:16 am

BravoOne wrote:
caljn wrote:
chrisp390 wrote:
It is surprising how bad the quality of the Boeing 787 interior is. Frames that are only a few years old are already beginning to look very rough on the inside. Why did Boeing cheap out with the 787 interior? Why are the options for airlines to refresh it?


This reads like the famous "do you still beat your wife" question.
Do the bins on 320's still shake loudly on reverse thrust? So cheap.


Not to mention the barkings dogs in the cargo bins!

Actually I like riding on the Airbus products.


I have never understood why Airbus aircraft carry more dogs than Boeing. It seems like it’s every Airbus flight I’m on! Is there something about the Airbus cargo hold that’s more dog friendly?
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7987
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:20 am

questions wrote:
Is there something about the Airbus cargo hold that’s more dog friendly?


Dogs really appreciate the extra 0.7 inch across their haunches :duck:
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
questions
Posts: 2066
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:23 am

kanban wrote:
the interior panels, sidewalls, ceiling, closets class dividers and stowage bins are manufactured in the Boeing Interior shop. generic keeps the costs down and the production schedule steady.


At one time sidewalls on a specific aircraft type varied. I thought the pattern was unique to the airline. Was that not true? Or did airlines have a number of patterns to choose from? Are all sidewalls on a particular aircraft type the same across airlines?
 
KFTG
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:44 am

OP must have flown on a Scoot 787 recently.
 
airlinerart
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:00 am

You should really provide evidence, pictures etc. to support such a sweeping statement or is this just anecdotal evidence and hearsay? If you don't want to be accused of Boeing bashing or 787 bashing then provide evidence or your argument is just a joke with no credibility!
 
airevents
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:20 pm

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:30 am

I flew the 787 on maybe 10 different operators and try to avoid it when I can. Cheap plastic resembling a Chinese car, very poor quality indeed. Don´t know why Boeing went that way on what could be such a nice aircraft otherwise and seems to be super efficient. Not to speak of the horrible electric windowshades.
 
CHRISBA35X
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:31 am

I've flown:

788 -
Qatar, Royal Jordanian, BA, Biman, Royal Brunei.
789 -
KLM, BA, Virgin, Norwegian, United, Thai, Qantas, Turkish.

A359 -
Cathay, Lufthansa, Qatar
A35J -
Cathay, Qatar

I can say with reasonable surety that i dont see anything wrong with the interiors on the two new twins, they dont seem any lower quality or any more fragile than what you find on the 777 or A330. If the airlines take care of their planes and clean them then there should be no difference.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 am

I cant say I have noticed a great difference between the 787 and other aircraft when flying (not done an A350 yet). The only real issue I find with the 787 and the quality of the fittings is the stupid window dimming system/buttons. Aside from the system (I want to look at the View, stop dimming it from the front!) the buttons on ~40-50% (bit of a guess) have been split and very grubby.

Fred
Image
 
cpd
Posts: 6031
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Why Is 787 Interior Quality So Poor?

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 am

Revelation wrote:
caljn wrote:
This reads like the famous "do you still beat your wife" question.

Yep, that is a real thing, even with a wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question ).

Some people can't seem to understand it's a rhetorical question and can't see the assumption built in to the question.

Now, back to complaints about airplane interiors based on nothing but anecdotal evidence.


However, do you have any solid proof to refute those complaints and to prove that the interior fit and finish is extremely good?

I'm expecting you've measured panel gaps and the like? It's only reasonable to ask, given the criticism of the original post.

Somehow I've managed to avoid flying on the 787 so far, my trips are all creaking old legacy planes like the 777 and A380.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos