TMccrury
Topic Author

Bag Explodes at Midway While being loaded onto a Volaris Flight

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm

According to the report, a bag exploded after it was ran over while being loaded onto the Volaris flight. It appears to be have been a battery or battery charger that caused the explosion. Fire and Police were called and a level 1 hazmat situation was declared until it was discovered what caused the explosion.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/bag-expl ... ded-flight

HP69

Re: Bag Explodes at Midway While being loaded onto a Volaris Flight

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Wow, scary situation for all involved.

prebennorholm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Sounds reasonable. A bag being run over while containing a spare laptop battery, powerbank or similar, will explode. That's ordinary physics at work.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

maint123

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:50 am

Powerbanks and batteries are not allowed in check in luggage.

32andBelow

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:52 am

maint123 wrote:

Luggage is not allowed to be ran over by rampers

iamlucky13

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:14 am

maint123 wrote:

They are not allowed as spares (powerbanks are categorized similar to spares). They are allowed installed in devices like laptops. The FAA PackSafe site has more details.

SuseJ772

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 am

32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

You sir win the Internet today :)
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

Flaps

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

Except that it can and does happen and its "usually" not on purpose. If you have ever driven ramp equipment you will understand that they are not the most maneuverable or stable of vehicles, especially a tug towing a string of carts or dollies. In bag rooms bags do sometimes fall unexpectedly from overhead without the space or time to maneuver away. There are numerous reasons for lithium/ion batteries to banned from checked bags. People who fail to follow these regulations risk their own lives and much more importantly the lives of the innocent people travelling with them and working their flights.

kiowa

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:18 pm

32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

^^^^^

estorilm

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:23 pm

32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

I just spit my coffee out. :lol:

All bets are off when a LiPo or LiIo battery is physically damaged.

OA940

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Flaps wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

Except that it can and does happen and its "usually" not on purpose. If you have ever driven ramp equipment you will understand that they are not the most maneuverable or stable of vehicles, especially a tug towing a string of carts or dollies. In bag rooms bags do sometimes fall unexpectedly from overhead without the space or time to maneuver away. There are numerous reasons for lithium/ion batteries to banned from checked bags. People who fail to follow these regulations risk their own lives and much more importantly the lives of the innocent people travelling with them and working their flights.

Except that they're allowed when inside electronics. It's not like anyone's carrying a bomb. Cell phone/laptop/whatever batteries don't really explode that often, at least compared to how many there are in existence. If they were a true immediate risk they wouldn't be allowed at all.
A350/CSeries = bae

seb76

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:55 pm

OA940 wrote:
Flaps wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Except that they're allowed when inside electronics. It's not like anyone's carrying a bomb. Cell phone/laptop/whatever batteries don't really explode that often, at least compared to how many there are in existence. If they were a true immediate risk they wouldn't be allowed at all.

No, they are not allowed inside electronics either. Your laptop, tablet, etc... are forced to travel with you in the cabin for this very reason. Li-Po batteries do not necessarily need to be ran over to burst into flames. They can fail at any time if poorly manufacturered or just in bad condition. There are many well documented cases when such things happened and from the external appearance, you cannot tell if they are still OK to use or not. Inside a device that can drain them, they are even more at risk than standalone. The reason why they should go into the cabin is that it gives humans the possibility to notice and control the fire. Putting it in the hold is criminal.

Polot

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Flaps wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

Except that it can and does happen and its "usually" not on purpose.

This sentence is just as applicable to powerbanks and batteries being in checked luggage.

seb76 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Flaps wrote:

No, they are not allowed inside electronics either. Your laptop, tablet, etc... are forced to travel with you in the cabin for this very reason. Li-Po batteries do not necessarily need to be ran over to burst into flames. They can fail at any time if poorly manufacturered or just in bad condition. There are many well documented cases when such things happened and from the external appearance, you cannot tell if they are still OK to use or not. Inside a device that can drain them, they are even more at risk than standalone. The reason why they should go into the cabin is that it gives humans the possibility to notice and control the fire. Putting it in the hold is criminal.

Laptops are allowed in checked baggage, although it is highly highly discouraged and should be packed carefully (and powered off of course). Spare Li-ion batteries (not installed in anything) are prohibited. Take a look at https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/ (specifically the batteries and electronics section).
Last edited by Polot on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SRQLOT

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:06 pm

seb76 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Flaps wrote:

Laptops and tablets are allowed in checked baggage with the battery connected. Almost 1/4 of bags had one. At least it seems like it.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU BNA,BHM,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO,RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 737-3/7/8/9/M8 744 757-2/3 763 788 319 320 321 333 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E195 (PA28,152)

OA940

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 pm

seb76 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Flaps wrote:

I've never heard of that rule. Maybe that's how it works in the US, but in Europe I've never had any trouble with putting laptops or tablets in checked luggage, nor has anyone I know. The only similarish rule I can recall is when I was flying with a group on Swiss a month ago and they came to us and told us to put any powerbanks in our carry-ons, but there's a bit of a difference between a powerbank and a laptop.
A350/CSeries = bae

frmrCapCadet

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Beings all's well that ends well, this has been about the funniest thread in a long time. Thanks for the chuckles.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Sightseer

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm not familiar with Volaris' baggage policy, but I wonder if the bag in question was only checked after overhead bin space on the flight had been exhausted. That happened to me on my most recent flight (not Y4); the GA made announcements asking for volunteers to check their carry-ons in exchange for earlier boarding and asked for people to be sure they removed Li-ion batteries (among a few other things) first. In these situations, I do wonder how often people forget to remove them, and also how many people travel with them in their main checked luggage.

flyer1225

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:38 pm

seb76 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Flaps wrote:

Laptops are definitely allowed in checked baggage, and for some time pax on ME airlines like EK and TK were restricted from bringing them in cabin baggage.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

smithbs

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:54 pm

We have two gripes here so far - lithium batteries in checked luggage, and bags being run over by rampers. I'll add a third - isn't "explosion" a bit dramatic? Is it the news trying to grab headlines?

To me an explosion involves a significant energy threshold, with high speed outbound gases and particles. I suspect this was a fast-burning fire, roughly resembling a burning piece of luggage on the pavement.

WesternDC6B

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm

32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

Tell that to my mom! She was looking out the window at the goings on in Bangkok. “Gee! There’s my bag; it fell off that cart! And, that truck just ran it over!”

Thai Airways provided top-notch customer service, by the way.
Remember: Only one dwarf in seven is Happy.

OB1504

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:19 pm

32andBelow wrote:
maint123 wrote:

As others have mentioned, it can easily happen by accident. I’ve run over a bag while driving on a service road because it fell off a cart going the opposite direction and my options were to keep going forward, swerve into the tug and carts to my left, or swerve onto the active taxiway to my right. Swerving of any kind while operating a 130,000 pound tanker truck full of flammable liquid is generally a bad idea.

longhauler

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:55 pm

One thing to remember when reading through this thread ....

If a lithium ion battery has a thermal runaway in the cargo hold, NO civil transport aircraft has the capability to suppress/contain the eventual result. That is why they are safer in the cabin and most Flight Attendants of most airlines have been trained how to do just that.

Happens in the hold? .... unless you are less than minutes from the ground ... you're fu***ed.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

alasizon

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 pm

smithbs wrote:
We have two gripes here so far - lithium batteries in checked luggage, and bags being run over by rampers. I'll add a third - isn't "explosion" a bit dramatic? Is it the news trying to grab headlines?

To me an explosion involves a significant energy threshold, with high speed outbound gases and particles. I suspect this was a fast-burning fire, roughly resembling a burning piece of luggage on the pavement.

Clearly you've never seen a Li-Ion battery catch on fire. They explode with force as they release the built up pressure. Back in the early 2000s, the AA DG team took a laptop up to an FAA test center and set it on fire to see what the effects would be. It is apparently deafening when each cell exploded.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

OccupiedLav

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:08 am

32andBelow wrote:

The bag was most likely a carry on that was too heavy or didn't fit the specified dimensions, thus requiring destruction by the rampers. I think Spirit operates this way as well.

many321

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 am

OccupiedLav wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

The bag was most likely a carry on that was too heavy or didn't fit the specified dimensions, thus requiring destruction by the rampers. I think Spirit operates this way as well.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :D

737MAX7

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:19 am

Customer Service actually gives us ramp rats the names of overly entitled passengers so we can in fact run them over. Most happen to have memberships on this site actually.

USAirKid

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 am

737MAX7 wrote:
Customer Service actually gives us ramp rats the names of overly entitled passengers so we can in fact run them over. Most happen to have memberships on this site actually.

Where do I sign up?

MGC1191

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:59 am

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos