AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Prinair is back

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:24 pm

https://www.prinairtours.com/en/4826-2/

Well this was quite unexpected!

i flew them when I was a kid. I wish them well, maybe they will finally be my country's flag "jet" airline?

Any opinions?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clickbait title

Cody

Re: Look who's back!!......Prinair!!!!

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Great News!!!!! Neat little airline with multi-colored Doves.

commpilot

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 pm

OOOO.....King Air 100!

crownvic

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:02 am

Cody wrote:

I think you meant "Herons"

chepos

Re: Prinair is back

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:37 am

As a Puerto Rican it would be nice to have our “own” airline again (Seaborne was no Prinair). Prinair was a small humble airline but it was OURS and Puerto Ricans recognized it as such. I was born the year the original went under but my relatives share their stores of La Prinair. Sadly I doubt this Prinair amounts to anything similar to the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

PA110

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:11 am

Prinair was a great little airline. I loved those 4-engine Herons, and later the Casa C-212 Aviocars.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

SkyVoice

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:49 am

I just love their website! It is so simple, yet so cool! They are starting off as a charter carrier, and it will be good to have Prinair flying again.

Viva Prinair!
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

reltney

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:13 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:

i flew them when I was a kid. I wish them well, maybe they will finally be my country's flag "jet" airline?

Any opinions?

Puerto Rico is not a country....

I flew Prinair many times. Loved the DH 114 Heron Lived watching the PRANG F-104s from my seat on Prinair. I later flew A-7s and F-16s with the PRANG on the island... while flying for the guard, I got a job flying for Executive “American Eagle”. I did my island time down there and heard many great stories.

I remember my chief pilot “Muerto”. Before American Eagle, he was a pilot at Prinair and He was scheduled be a copilot on a plane that ended up crashing into a mountain. He did a last min trade with another copilot. Everyone thought he was dead. The next day he walked into the pilot room to the amazement of others... another pilot from Prinair was Pepe Machado.. he was a piece of work. When we were hired at American Eagle in 1993, he was the president of American Eagle “executive”. Pepe had us in a class room and gave us a “welcome” lecture that ended with “ I can’t pay you much, but if you get caught applying for food stamps, ILL FIRE YOU! I think we made $13,000 as F/Os
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

chepos

Prinair is back

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm

reltney wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

Any opinions?

I flew Prinair many times. Loved the DH 114 Heron Lived watching the PRANG F-104s from my seat on Prinair. I later flew A-7s and F-16s with the PRANG on the island... while flying for the guard, I got a job flying for Executive “American Eagle”. I did my island time down there and heard many great stories.

I remember my chief pilot “Muerto”. Before American Eagle, he was a pilot at Prinair and He was scheduled be a copilot on a plane that ended up crashing into a mountain. He did a last min trade with another copilot. Everyone thought he was dead. The next day he walked into the pilot room to the amazement of others... another pilot from Prinair was Pepe Machado.. he was a piece of work. When we were hired at American Eagle in 1993, he was the president of American Eagle “executive”. Pepe had us in a class room and gave us a “welcome” lecture that ended with “ I can’t pay you much, but if you get caught applying for food stamps, ILL FIRE YOU! I think we made $13,000 as F/Os

Hold on to my MEDALLA, to a Puerto Rican those are fighting words.

Sadly, we are not a sovereign nation, nor are we a state. We are in our endless political limbo, at 36 and since I was a child our political status has been in a debate mode. Either way, this is not the place to discuss the complexities of Puerto Rican political history. But to this Puerto Rican and many in the diaspora, you ask us what our native country/homeland is, many of us will say Puerto Rico.

Fly the Flag!!!!

reltney

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Yup, AGREE. It should be a country. Had a BLASTflying on Prinair and flying for The Puerto Rico Air National Guard.

I remember the pro America and Pro Cuban forms of government fighting for power every governor race. I lived there 12 years and we had 2 terroist attacks on our airbase (first on US territory) so I am very aware of the issues. The scandles...179 days with the water shutoff..etc...

Lots of the Prinair pilots were flying at American Eagle. Best people ! There is a Heron in the US that comes up for sale from time to time. If I had the hanger space I would grab it in put it in Prinair colors....the blue colors. What great days riding on it to St Thomas for a weekend of fun.

Yea Medella.......the best!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

smokeybandit

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:22 pm

From the article:

"the cost of the trip will be very high"

caribny

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:27 pm

chepos wrote:
As a Puerto Rican it would be nice to have our “own” airline again (Seaborne was no Prinair). Prinair was a small humble airline but it was OURS and Puerto Ricans recognized it as such. I was born the year the original went under but my relatives share their stores of La Prinair. Sadly I doubt this Prinair amounts to anything similar to the original.

You also had Caribair as well before Eastern acquired it. That airline actually provided intra Caribbean connectivity competing with LIAT and BWIA. Island hopping all the way to POS and connecting Jamaica with Haiti and DR in addition to MIA. Those days are long gone though.

Yes I recall Prinair, which was also a link between the USVI and other Eastern Carib spots.

caribny

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:31 pm

reltney wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

Any opinions?

I remember my chief pilot “Muerto”. Before American Eagle, he was a pilot at Prinair and He was scheduled be a copilot on a plane that ended up crashing into a mountain. He did a last mias F/Os

PR actually is a "country" as it has its own symbolic representation at international events such as the Olympics, Pan Am games and Miss Universe. It just isnt a sovereign nation.

What did Prinair in were too many crashes. They had one in STX which sent the VFR market in to USVI rushing back to LIAT, despite that carrier's reputation for unreliability.

klm617

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Cody wrote:

Herons not Doves.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

PA110 wrote:
Prinair was a great little airline. I loved those 4-engine Herons, and later the Casa C-212 Aviocars.

They also had Convair 580s
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

chepos

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:33 pm

caribny wrote:
chepos wrote:

You also had Caribair as well before Eastern acquired it. That airline actually provided intra Caribbean connectivity competing with LIAT and BWIA. Island hopping all the way to POS and connecting Jamaica with Haiti and DR in addition to MIA. Those days are long gone though.

Yes I recall Prinair, which was also a link between the USVI and other Eastern Carib spots.

Yes, they even had the Caribair DC-9 FiestaJer. The emblem was a garita del morro on the tail.

Fly the Flag!!!!

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:32 am

klm617 wrote:
PA110 wrote:

They also had Convair 580s

i flew the PQ 580!

TW870

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:47 am

Best wishes to the new Prinair!

Honestly, if I could time travel back to any airline place and time the Caribbean in the 1970s and 1980s would be it. The cargo scene was amazing, as were the passenger airlines - the Prinair Riley Herons, the Air BVI and Aero Virgin Islands DC-3s, the Chalks Mallards, the Quisqueyana Connies, the American Connection Convair 440s. Such a great scene in the twilight of the heavy piston era.

jmdc861

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Hanging out at the SJU airport in the 1970's it was always remarkable to see how many Prinair planes were coming and going. And how did I get to SJU all the time from MIA? Yes, the Caribair DC-9 Fiesta Jets that went MIA-MBJ-KIN-PAP-SDQ-SJU. Loved the PAP stop. If you were sitting on the plane in transit onward from PAP, artisan wood crafters were allowed on board and they would roam up and down the aisles selling their wares!

caribny

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
Loved the PAP stop. If you were sitting on the plane in transit onward from PAP, artisan wood crafters were allowed on board and they would roam up and down the aisles selling their wares!

Aaah the days when travel didn't require security checks. You arrived at the airport no more than an hour before, checked in your bags, hung out with family/friends and only went through "security" when boarding was announced. And this was only about the authorities verifying that you weren't a wanted criminal trying to escape from the authorities.

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 pm

For a while I thought it was one of the C402's that Cape Air is phasing out. But I don't see these folks flying for too long with a 1973 aircraft. And BQN to PUJ doesn't seem to have enough demand, even through a tour company.

Now, if they get some newer equipment and throw in some intra island flights from SJU-PCE/BQN-PUJ/SDQ, they may find some cash. Cape Air serves SJU-MAZ only so having an airline that can shuttle passengers to/from SJU to PCE/BQN and on to SDQ/PUJ would be a force to reckon with.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

LAX772LR

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:29 am

Sadly, my only memory of Prinair is being one of the airlines affected by the "cursed flight number." :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:57 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
For a while I thought it was one of the C402's that Cape Air is phasing out. But I don't see these folks flying for too long with a 1973 aircraft. And BQN to PUJ doesn't seem to have enough demand, even through a tour company.

Now, if they get some newer equipment and throw in some intra island flights from SJU-PCE/BQN-PUJ/SDQ, they may find some cash. Cape Air serves SJU-MAZ only so having an airline that can shuttle passengers to/from SJU to PCE/BQN and on to SDQ/PUJ would be a force to reckon with.

SJU to PCE not worth flying now that you have to be at the airport like one hour prior to boarding and pass TSA. You can use that time to drive there for much less....

chepos

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 am

SJU-PSE is definitely not worth it, It is an easy drive up the highway, anyone with the means to fly between SJU and Ponce has a car or family member who will take them to the San Juan airport.

PSE is also now connected to MCO/JFK, so many Southeners are not having to go to SJU airport anymore. Not me, I still have to fly to SJU coming from PHX.

Fly the Flag!!!!

dampfnudel

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:58 am

When I was a kid, I flew a Prinair DH 114 Heron from STX to SJU in 1984. My family had a connecting AA flight (DC10) to JFK. What a difference going from a Heron to a DC10!!!
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

longhauler

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:23 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Sadly, my only memory of Prinair is being one of the airlines affected by the "cursed flight number." :(

Not to mention that was a very bizarre accident that eventually was left unsolved.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:44 am

longhauler wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Not to mention that was a very bizarre accident that eventually was left unsolved.

Right?! ...so odd, so sad. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

highflier92660

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:07 pm

I'm not being facetious: Do the people in Puerto Rico have fondness for the name Prinair after all these years? Decades ago when our family went for a Caribbean vacation we were like the movie Griswalds in an exotic location. Back then Prinair flew 4-engine De Havilland Herons converted to Continental engines; they were noisy, unpressurized, low and slow. As a youngster I loved flying in them, though I would hazard a guess that good percentage of tourists including my mother had mixed feelings.

I noticed this latest incarnation of Prinair is also flying a rarity, a 1973 Beechcraft 100.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:10 pm

chepos wrote:
SJU-PSE is definitely not worth it, It is an easy drive up the highway, anyone with the means to fly between SJU and Ponce has a car or family member who will take them to the San Juan airport.

PSE is also now connected to MCO/JFK, so many Southeners are not having to go to SJU airport anymore. Not me, I still have to fly to SJU coming from PHX.

PHX here 2! (but you can always fly JetBlue from here to PSE direct!)

dcah62

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:32 pm

The linked article is from March 2019 and announced charter flights starting that same month. Did they actually start service back then? I see so many posts in this listing that imply they are starting charter service in the future.

Prinair

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:17 am

Save your excitement. It should be called “PRINAIR falsa” or “Fake Prinair”. It is just another Dominican pipe dream. It is not a “boricua” company.
Also, there was another reincarnation of PRINAIR a few years ago. It was based at Isla Grande airport.

Another venerable airline name and logo will be dragged through the mud. Let them rest in pease.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

chepos

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:49 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
chepos wrote:

What! Another Puerto Rican Anetter resident of the valley!!!!! What a coincidence.

And no way I’m I going to be flying PHX-JFK-PSE. No señor, I’ll be nonreving it to SJU for the time being.

Fly the Flag!!!!

BealineV953

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:16 pm

reltney wrote:
There is a Heron in the US that comes up for sale from time to time. If I had the hanger space I would grab it in put it in Prinair colors....the blue colors. What great days riding on it to St Thomas for a weekend of fun.

Yea Medella.......the best!

If you ever do have hangar space you could put in a bid for this Heron:

http://bushflightalaska.com/index.php?a=2&b=487

http://www.flygmuseum.com/Flygplan/de-h ... -114-heron

Blue skies!
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Prinair wrote:
“PRINAIR falsa” or “Fake Prinair”.

Well, we have Piedmont falsa, Republic falsa, Allegheny falsa, PSA falsa, Eastern falsa x2, Pan Am falsa x4, Olympic falsa, heck even Lufthansa and British Airways are falsa since there were two airlines with those names before the two current ones!... :lol: there was even Ocean Air falsa aka Avianca Brazil! (remember Prinair's old competitor the original Ocean Air?)

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:29 pm

chepos wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
chepos wrote:

What! Another Puerto Rican Anetter resident of the valley!!!!! What a coincidence.

And no way I’m I going to be flying PHX-JFK-PSE. No señor, I’ll be nonreving it to SJU for the time being.

Asi es!

A big boricua abrazo for usted!!

Prinair

Re: Prinair is bac

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:24 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
Prinair wrote:

Well, we have Piedmont falsa, Republic falsa, Allegheny falsa, PSA falsa, Eastern falsa x2, Pan Am falsa x4, Olympic falsa, heck even Lufthansa and British Airways are falsa since there were two airlines with those names before the two current ones!... :lol: there was even Ocean Air falsa aka Avianca Brazil! (remember Prinair's old competitor the original Ocean Air?)

Still.... PRINAIR stood for Puerto Rico and now the name is being relegated to a Dominican pipe dream.
I do remember the original Oceanair ( it was spelled as one word ) as I flew them a few times.
I still have several items and brochures from them and PRINAIR as well from Air Puerto Rico ( DC9 ) in my collection.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Re: Prinair is bac

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Prinair wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
Prinair wrote:

Still.... PRINAIR stood for Puerto Rico and now the name is being relegated to a Dominican pipe dream.
I do remember the original Oceanair ( it was spelled as one word ) as I flew them a few times.
I still have several items and brochures from them and PRINAIR as well from Air Puerto Rico ( DC9 ) in my collection.

Correcto! That was our flag carrier!

Oceanair..never flew on them but I loved that livery! Lucky you who flew all those Puerto Rican airlines...I've only flown Prinair and not even Vieques Air Link yet! (hope to fly it someday!)

chepos

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:08 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
chepos wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

Asi es!

You called me USTED, now I feel old :(. LOL, Prinair will always be Puerto Rican in our hearts, even if now based in the DR.

Fly the Flag!!!!

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:51 am

chepos wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
chepos wrote:

Asi es!

You called me USTED, now I feel old :(. LOL, Prinair will always be Puerto Rican in our hearts, even if now based in the DR.

:lol: And, very true, Prinair,,,,,the Puerto Rican national airline!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos