Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gdg9
Topic Author

Four AA FAs arrested at MIA for money laundering

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 pm

I didn't see this posted yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/us/fligh ... index.html

Four AA FAs arrested in MIA on Monday, charged with money laundering. Large amounts of cash, arriving from Chile.
@dfwtower

Dieuwer

Re: Four AA FAs arrested at MIA for money laundering

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I thought the reporting requirement was $10,000+ in cash per person.

passyflyer

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:33 pm

10.000$ might be the limit where you must declare it to customs, but money laundering is always illegal, even at lower amounts.

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

If they were together than you have to declare if the total sum is greater than $10k. You can’t split it amongst various people to get below the limit to avoid declaring.

The first attendant who lied got customs suspicious.

passyflyer wrote:
10.000$ might be the limit where you must declare it to customs, but money laundering is always illegal, even at lower amounts.

It’s money laundering because they tried to get it in without declaring the money. Customs really has no way of knowing if the cash a person has on them is laundered or not.

Dieuwer

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Polot wrote:

passyflyer wrote:

It’s money laundering because they tried to get it in without declaring the money. Customs really has no way of knowing if the cash a person has on them is laundered or not.

Not everything is laundered money of course, but lying to CBP is a big no no.

2nd2none

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:42 pm

And why on earth do FAs carry that amount in cash? And being biased they look like criminals too?

Elementalism

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:46 pm

You arent required to declare money over 10k to customs agents. Him changing his declaration set this off. Will have to see what evidence, if any, they can uncover this is illegally laundered money. Being in possession of $9000 in cash does not make it illegal.

To me this stinks of civil forfeiture. Where govt steals your cash without a conviction and it takes a court case to get it back. And to ensure the defendants leave it alone they are charged with a crime, even if evidence is lacking.

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Elementalism wrote:
You arent required to declare money over 10k to customs agents. Him changing his declaration set this off. Will have to see what evidence, if any, they can uncover this is illegally laundered money. Being in possession of $9000 in cash does not make it illegal.

To me this stinks of civil forfeiture. Where govt steals your cash without a conviction and it takes a court case to get it back. And to ensure the defendants leave it alone they are charged with a crime, even if evidence is lacking.

4 flight attendants with a total ~$22k in cash who admitted something redactable to homeland security agents?
Yeah, they were up to something illegal-this is not civil forfeiture. Flight attendants are never carrying around that amount of cash, and to have 3+ on the same flight all with large amounts of cash...

2nd2none

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Elementalism wrote:

4 FAs from the same flight that sounds pretty organised?

jetblueguy22

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Elementalism wrote:

You are absolutely required to declare any amount over 10k. It doesn't mean you can't bring it in, you just have to make it known you have it.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Miamiairport

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:57 pm

If what is presented is true Customs had the right to arrest and start an investigation. Why would any FA be traveling with $9K (close to the $10K limit) then lie on their forms? Moreover, someone may have tipped off Investigators to these FAs.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

You are absolutely required to declare any amount over 10k. It doesn't mean you can't bring it in, you just have to make it known you have it.

And on top of that, splitting up the cash for the purpose of not having to declare is illegal.

kiowa

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Polot wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

4 flight attendants with a total ~$22k in cash who admitted something redactable to homeland security agents?
Yeah, they were up to something illegal-this is not civil forfeiture. Flight attendants are never carrying around that amount of cash, and to have 3+ on the same flight all with large amounts of cash...

perhaps but still speculation.

Pyrex

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Probably someone trying to get their money out of Chile before it turns into the next Venezuela. The entire city of Miami is basically one former insurance policy for well-off Latin Americans.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

usflyer msp

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:26 pm

I bet the FA's were just going to do some shopping (electronics?) in MIA and smuggle the goods back into Chile for resale. It is a quite common activities fro Latin American flight crews. They brought cash to make it more difficult for the Chilean authorities to trace. They deserve the charges for lying about how much cash they have but the money laundering charge seems speculative.

OccupiedLav

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Elementalism wrote:

You're absolutely right. Nothing suspicious about 4 flight attendants from South America splitting up a huge amount of cash in an attempt to avoid declaring it. They probably have all that cash because they helped out that Nigerian prince, and he is just now repaying them. Now Uncle Sam is reaching into their pockets.

Elementalism

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Polot wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Depends on how the law defines group. On the declaration form they clearly state household. Do 4 friends traveling together make them a group that has to declare their combined value of cash? The declarations form doesnt indicate that. Unless they all live together. Which isnt defined in the story.

And how do you know what people tend to carry around in cash?
Last edited by Elementalism on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:33 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I bet the FA's were just going to do some shopping (electronics?) in MIA and smuggle the goods back into Chile for resale. It is a quite common activities fro Latin American flight crews. They brought cash to make it more difficult for the Chilean authorities to trace. They deserve the charges for lying about how much cash they have but the money laundering charge seems speculative.

Splitting up cash to avoid declaring it (in other words, trying to illegally transport/transfer money) is a form of money laundering.
Last edited by Polot on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elementalism

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

And on top of that, splitting up the cash for the purpose of not having to declare is illegal.

The amounts are all different. If they were trying to launder money in as a group. I would think they would all be equally splitting the cash. Seems weird to have one guy carrying 9k, another 7300, and another 6371.

As individuals they were not required to declare any of this cash. As a household they were. Do they all live together?

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

The amounts are all different. If they were trying to launder money in as a group. I would think they would all be equally splitting the cash. Seems weird to have one guy carrying 9k, another 7300, and another 6371.

As individuals they were not required to declare any of this cash. As a household they were. Do they all live together?

If you are trying to split cash to avoid detection equally splitting a random amount of money is probably the worse thing you can do. Would you still run with it’s a coincidence defense if they all had exactly $7557 on them?

Elementalism wrote:
Polot wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Depends on how the law defines group. On the declaration form they clearly state household. Do 4 friends traveling together make them a group that has to declare their combined value of cash? The declarations form doesnt indicate that. Unless they all live together. Which isnt defined in the story.

If you can establish a link between them/the cash then it is one group. It doesn’t matter what the Customs form defines. You cannot knowingly split money to avoid declaration.

Remember, Customs didn’t immediately get them arrested and charged. They were interviewed by Homeland Security first- then arrested and charged...likely based on what was said in the interview.
Last edited by Polot on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elementalism

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Polot wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

If you are trying to split cash to avoid detection equally splitting a random amount of money is probably the worse thing you can do.

Yeah and so is flying together on the same flight. So we established if these people are criminals they arent the smartest. Ill follow this case and see what the outcome actually turns out to be.

Elementalism

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Polot wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

If you are trying to split cash to avoid detection equally splitting a random amount of money is probably the worse thing you can do. Would you still run with it’s a coincidence defense if they all had exactly $7557 on them?

Elementalism wrote:
Polot wrote:

If you can establish a link between them/the cash then it is one group.

According to whom? I travel international with my father and my wife. My wife and I are on one declarations form, he is on another. But we are traveling as a group. Are we breaking the law? Should the govt seize my property because we didnt declare together? Some of this type of stuff centered around civil forfeiture stretches the law and common sense. Lets see how this plays out.

Heinkel

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Polot wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

If they were together than you have to declare if the total sum is greater than $10k. You can’t split it amongst various people to get below the limit to avoid declaring.

I don't understand this logic. If US-$ 10 k per person is legal without reporting, why is it illegal if four persons carry US-$ 22 k in total? If you buy alcohol or tobacco tax free, the allowance is always per (adult) person. So a non-smoker can legally buy and import cigarettes for his smoking friend.

As fas as I understand, they were not relatives and don't have the same family name. Or were they so stupid, that they told the customs, that they belong together and they've split up the money before the journey?

Otherwise, if I carry US-$ 9k and another pax on the plane also US-$ 9k, are we then guilty of money laundering? How could I know, how much money the other passengers have with them?
Last edited by Heinkel on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcajet

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:48 pm

They seem to be from the SCL crew base.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

If they planned to split it among themselves so that no one person would have to report, that's illegal whether they are related or not. That's structuring 101. It'd be no different than if all four decided to split the cash and deposit it into four different bank accounts so that no single person would have to report it. The crime is intentionally trying to avoid the reporting requirement.

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Polot wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I don't understand this logic. If US-$ 10 k per person is legal without reporting, why is it illegal if four persons to carry US-$ 40 k? If you buy alcohol or tobacco tax free, the allowance is always per (adult) person. So a non-smoker can legally buy and import cigarettes for his smoking friend

The logic is simple. A family, for example, can’t bring in $15000 and not declare it because the mom has $5k, the dad $5k and the grandma $5k. If it was that easy moving laundered money would never get caught. It’s not like these people are the first time someone has thought to split money to illegally bring in money.

As fas as I understand, they were not relatives and don't have the same family name. Or were they so stupid, that they told the customs, that they belong together and they've split up the money before the journey?

Otherwise, if I carry US-$ 9k and another pax on the plane also US-$ 9k, are we then guilty of money laundering? How could I know, how much money the other passengers have with them?

As FAs on the same flight they have a connection, and one of them lied (significantly) about the amount of money they had, and then other FAs were also found to be holding large amounts of cash. Note that they were NOT arrested/charged at this point. They were then interviewed, and then it was decided to charge them, which means either someone squealed or their stories/behavior was suspicious.

If you have 9k, don’t lie about it if asked, don’t act suspicious, you won’t get charged with money laundering of someone else has a significant quantity of cash too (if they are also not acting suspicious). Keep in mind this is probably not (some of) the FA’s first time.
Last edited by Polot on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Polot wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

I don't understand this logic. If US-$ 10 k per person is legal without reporting, why is it illegal if four persons carry US-$ 22 k in total? If you buy alcohol or tobacco tax free, the allowance is always per (adult) person. So a non-smoker can legally buy and import cigarettes for his smoking friend.

If you and some other random person both had $9000, chances are you didn't coordinate as you don't know each other. The crime here is the coordination so as to avoid reporting requirements. If they all just coincidentally had high sums of cash below the reporting limits on them then it would not have been a crime. The issue is that it wasn't coincidental (allegedly).

Brickell305

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Polot wrote:
Elementalism wrote:

Elementalism wrote:

If you can establish a link between them/the cash then it is one group.

According to whom? I travel international with my father and my wife. My wife and I are on one declarations form, he is on another. But we are traveling as a group. Are we breaking the law? Should the govt seize my property because we didnt declare together? Some of this type of stuff centered around civil forfeiture stretches the law and common sense. Lets see how this plays out.

If the reason you decided to declare separately was so that you could together carry cash which totaled an amount above the reporting limit without having to report it because individually it was less than the limit, then yes, you committed a crime.

lesfalls

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Most surely it had to be LATAM money............ Get it ;)
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Polot wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

If the intent was to split $22K among multiple parties so as to avoid the $10K limit, that is also a crime.

11C

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Pyrex wrote:
Probably someone trying to get their money out of Chile before it turns into the next Venezuela. The entire city of Miami is basically one former insurance policy for well-off Latin Americans.

What about Chile resembles Venezuela?

ozark1

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Just a little FYI. AA has 4 Latin American crew bases....EZE, LIM, BOG and SCL. They are a separate operation with their own work rules. They are not a part of APFA, the union that covers U.S. based crews. One stipulation that APFA insisted on is that these crews are only allowed to work flights into and out of MIA. They have 5/6/7 day trips, hopping in and out of MIA, and only into and out of central/South American destinations. They might work SCL to MIA, have a 2 day layover, then do MIA-PTY-MIA, layover another day, then another day or two of trips to and from MGA or PTY ( just as an example ) and eventually back to SCL. It is also very common for a 777 to be staffed with 4 SCL and 4 EZE flight attendants (example) so that they can be split up in MIA to staff 737s, 319s or 757s which require 4 as minimum crew.. In other words they spend a ton of time in MIA, which would allow them to learn how to allegedly do something like this. I would rather lie on a bed of nails than deal with MIA customs on a continual basis. So if they indeed do this, it was only a matter of time before being caught.

Pyrex

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 pm

11C wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Nothing. Yet. But certain people sure seem hell-bent to change that.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

ltbewr

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:27 pm

I wonder if CBP agents were on the lookout in general or for these particular FA's coming in from South America or the initial FA 'drew the straw' and randomly pulled for a spot check of luggage and questioning. I suspect the CBP/DHS agents look for signs, they know Airline crews could be at higher than average probability of carrying counterban, too much money, drugs, and so on and due to limited customs checks, the crews figure they might get away from it.

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:31 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I wonder if CBP agents were on the lookout in general or for these particular FA's coming in from South America or the initial FA 'drew the straw' and randomly pulled for a spot check of luggage and questioning. I suspect the CBP/DHS agents look for signs, they know Airline crews could be at higher than average probability of carrying counterban, too much money, drugs, and so on and due to limited customs checks, the crews figure they might get away from it.

MIA CBP has a lot of experience with money laundering/drug smuggling/etc from South America, they are well aware of the signs and suspicious behavior to look out for. Its not the best port of entry to select for this kind of stuff, but usually most convenient option.

UpNAWAy

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:53 pm

If these FA's where just bring in extra cash to deposit in MIA for their crashpad apartment and their living expenses I bet the feds wouldn't have charged them. Maybe admonished them and maybe confiscated the cash. But my guess is they have a very clear idea the cash itself came from other illegal activity.

amax1977

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Simply pathetic! Millions of dollars illegally pass through US borders and the bozos in US customs feeling proud to catch $22K? It's not that those FAs had $1M with them or trafficking cocaine or something! They probably took a few iPhone 11s to Chile and sold for a small profit. Everybody does that when the new iPhones get released!

chepos

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:22 pm

dcajet wrote:
They seem to be from the SCL crew base.

Yes, all 4 F/A’s are SCL based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

santi319

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Ive found the MIA customs the most pleasant one in the US... followed by BOS.

YellowJ

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Elementalism wrote:
You arent required to declare money over 10k to customs agents.

You are absolutely required to declare any amount over 10k.

questions

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:37 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
If these FA's where just bring in extra cash to deposit in MIA for their crashpad apartment and their living expenses I bet the feds wouldn't have charged them. Maybe admonished them and maybe confiscated the cash. But my guess is they have a very clear idea the cash itself came from other illegal activity.

It’s illegal not to declare the $10,000+ amount. I don’t know what the penalty is but I doubt US Customs would have simply admonished them and confiscated the cash. [First illegal offense]

Because of the amount discovered, the interviews/investigation found that they may have been involved in money laundering and were therefore charged. [Second illegal offense]

11C

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:40 pm

amax1977 wrote:
Simply pathetic! Millions of dollars illegally pass through US borders and the bozos in US customs feeling proud to catch $22K? It's not that those FAs had $1M with them or trafficking cocaine or something! They probably took a few iPhone 11s to Chile and sold for a small profit. Everybody does that when the new iPhones get released!

How do you think they move the millions? Everybody takes new iPhones to sell for profit? Wouldn’t that require you to lie on the Chilean customs form, or pay a huge duty?

santi319

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Not sure why the CNN article didnt post it, but in a Washington Post article it clearly states:

“The four told law enforcement that they were supposed to get a 1 percent cut of the money that was found on them, according to the Miami Herald.
American Airlines told the Miami Herald that the company takes the matter seriously and that it’s cooperating with law enforcement.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... olice-say/

There goes the mystery is solved.

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Pyrex wrote:
11C wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Nothing. Yet. But certain people sure seem hell-bent to change that.

Chile has problems for sure (what country doesn't?), but what evidence is there on this point?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Brickell305

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:59 pm

amax1977 wrote:

If that were the case then why didn't they simply declare the cash and give an explanation?

amax1977

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 pm

11C wrote:
amax1977 wrote:

How do you think they move the millions? Everybody takes new iPhones to sell for profit? Wouldn’t that require you to lie on the Chilean customs form, or pay a huge duty?

All I'm saying is all 4 FAs carried less than $10K each and even if it was a plan to bring in $22K, it's a minor violation and could be resolved with a warning or a fine. Definitely not something that 4 people should get arrested over it and jeopardize their reputations and jobs!

exFWAOONW

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:10 pm

This looks real good while AA is celebrating 30 Years in Miami.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

amax1977

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
amax1977 wrote:

If that were the case then why didn't they simply declare the cash and give an explanation?

People get nervous when they speak with a nasty mean customs officer. The first FA probably got nervous and tried to avoid trouble, but things turned wrong. All I'm saying is all 4 FAs carried less than $10K each and even if it was a plan to bring in $22K, it's a minor violation and could be resolved with a warning or a fine. Definitely not something that 4 people should get arrested over it and jeopardize their reputations and jobs!

ltbewr

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Even if a 'minor' violation, as not USA citizens and caught 'at the border' which Customs is, likely AA will terminate their employment, they will lose their visas and put on 'no fly' lists as to entry into the USA for life. These flight staff can also look forward to rotting in Fed holding facility for a while until they have trial or more likely a boot from the USA after a plea deal with time served.

Polot

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:34 pm

amax1977 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
amax1977 wrote:

People get nervous when they speak with a nasty mean customs officer. The first FA probably got nervous and tried to avoid trouble, but things turned wrong. All I'm saying is all 4 FAs carried less than $10K each and even if it was a plan to bring in $22K, it's a minor violation and could be resolved with a warning or a fine. Definitely not something that 4 people should get arrested over it and jeopardize their reputations and jobs!

If they didn’t want to jeopardize their reputation and jobs then they shouldn’t have done something illegal trying to enter another country when their entire career is based off international travel. Even if all they got from the US was a warning or fine their jobs were toast, AA wouldn’t keep them after a violation like this. And as the prior post mentioned they will likely be persona non grata in the US. You don’t get a pass because it was a “minor” violation.

These are professional FAs employed by a US company. They shouldn’t be nervous talking to “nasty mean old custom officers” if they are doing nothing wrong.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos