Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

AA and PHL

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 am

With AA adding growing certain hubs over the course of a year or so and CLT planned for 2020 and DCA 2021, does this make 2022 PHL’a year? Also what could they add during that time?

MIflyer12

Re: AA and PHL

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:56 am

There won't be net adds at every AA hub: look at the aircraft delivery and retirement schedule. The fleet isn't due to grow rapidly.

PHLspecial

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:18 am

Probably looking more at 2023 for the growth for PHL if any at all. I'm pretty sure that's when the XLRs come online. The A333 will probably be replaced one for one with the 789. For 2020 season PHL has a new flight to Casablanca (CMN) granted it's only 3 times weekly.

jfk777

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:41 pm

If PHL is going to grow its international business it better get a bigger FIS station. In 2018 I arrived there on a British Airways flight and it took three hours to get through customs. Every AA flight from Europe must have arrived within half an hour.

usairways85

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:49 pm

jfk777 wrote:
If PHL is going to grow its international business it better get a bigger FIS station. In 2018 I arrived there on a British Airways flight and it took three hours to get through customs. Every AA flight from Europe must have arrived within half an hour.

Yes, AA does not spread out the inbound TA flights. Many are bunched in between 12:30-1:30 and 2:45-3:45. They probably do this because they want to minimize connecting banks at PHL.

LotsaRunway

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:51 pm

I think AA is refining PHL's role as a hub in the network. They seem to be shifting capacity heavily dependant on connections to CLT so that they can up the O&D ratio of PHL flights and maybe relieve some of the congestion there. PHL's top connection focus will probably be for the international feed. PHL is not getting stripped and will remain a major hub, but AA may save a few bucks by reducing delays at PHL and shifting some more connections through lower cost CLT.

aerace

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm

I guess I am biased because it is my home airport, but AA has diversified Philly's offerings in the last couple of years (and to come in 2020). I never would have thought we would see nonstops to Morocco, Key West, Bozeman, Dubrovnik, etc. and now that the Flagship Lounge is underway, AA is showing its value in PHL as a key gateway. The issue here is space. We don't have the ability like those in the south and west to plop down a new terminal and connect it via train, and it also doesn't help that PHL borders wetlands and a wildlife refuge. So I guess AA will continue to gradually add dots throughout the country/world. I don't think we will ever see AA drop 20 new destinations in one year, but I suppose the quality of the destinations will be stronger, trying some new markets that AA (or other airlines) doesn't serve. If Casablanca works, maybe more Africa. Secondary Europe has shown to work, so potentially more of that. I do think in order to expand destinations, AA may have to cut frequencies. It will be a process, but overall seems like an upward trajectory.

chepos

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Probably looking more at 2023 for the growth for PHL if any at all. I'm pretty sure that's when the XLRs come online. The A333 will probably be replaced one for one with the 789. For 2020 season PHL has a new flight to Casablanca (CMN) granted it's only 3 times weekly.

And KEF (moved from DFW). DBV/TXL get frequency increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

PHLspecial

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:53 pm

chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Right DBV/TXL get frequency increases. I remember you saying that. But I think one city is not return from the 2019 summer season? I think it was a flight to Italy.

chepos

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Right DBV/TXL get frequency increases. I remember you saying that. But I think one city is not return from the 2019 summer season? I think it was a flight to Italy.

BLQ is not returning.

Fly the Flag!!!!

airlineworker

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:56 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
I think AA is refining PHL's role as a hub in the network. They seem to be shifting capacity heavily dependant on connections to CLT so that they can up the O&D ratio of PHL flights and maybe relieve some of the congestion there. PHL's top connection focus will probably be for the international feed. PHL is not getting stripped and will remain a major hub, but AA may save a few bucks by reducing delays at PHL and shifting some more connections through lower cost CLT.

CLT seems to be maxed out regarding ground operations, taking 15-30 minutes to reach a gate is excessive and adding more flights will make it worse.

UpNAWAy

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:04 pm

PHL will see some additional (smaller markets) European flying once the NEO's come on board as I bet JFK and maybe even BOS will too.

FSDan

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Vasu Raja has commented that as a TATL hub, the advantage of PHL is that it has much lower costs than NYC airports. That's what allows AA to try unique routes like PHL-CMN and PHL-DBV. I'd assume we'll see more of that in the future, as space allows. Regarding the 321XLRs, PHL-BSL was mentioned as one example of a market that could be made viable, and I'm sure there are a few more like it on the radar for AA from PHL.

Also, hopefully at some point in the next 5 or so years PHL will finally get at least one nonstop to East Asia. PHL-NRT seems like the most logical option given the AA/JL JV. Perhaps once 789s start arriving at PHL to replace the 333s and add some moderate growth...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

chepos

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:21 pm

FSDan wrote:
Vasu Raja has commented that as a TATL hub, the advantage of PHL is that it has much lower costs than NYC airports. That's what allows AA to try unique routes like PHL-CMN and PHL-DBV. I'd assume we'll see more of that in the future, as space allows. Regarding the 321XLRs, PHL-BSL was mentioned as one example of a market that could be made viable, and I'm sure there are a few more like it on the radar for AA from PHL.

Also, hopefully at some point in the next 5 or so years PHL will finally get at least one nonstop to East Asia. PHL-NRT seems like the most logical option given the AA/JL JV. Perhaps once 789s start arriving at PHL to replace the 333s and add some moderate growth...

That question was asked during the town hall yesterday (re PHL-Asia flying). The answer was not anytime soon. I would say 5 years at the soonest?

Fly the Flag!!!!

proudavgeek

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:44 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:

Also, PHL is sandwiched between JFK/LGA/EWR on north and IAD/DCA/BWI on South, so that also puts limits on how many flights can fly at a time, especially when its bad weather in NYC region, so cutting on connections is a good idea to ease the congestion...

LotsaRunway

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 pm

airlineworker wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

CLT seems to be maxed out regarding ground operations, taking 15-30 minutes to reach a gate is excessive and adding more flights will make it worse.

CLT is adding gates soon and has a major upgrade in its master plan. If they keep costs low, expect more growth.

wenders825

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Raja has stated in the past he sees more opportunities in Germany from CLT, which makes sense as business ties are stronger in the CLT area (and the southeast as a whole)

back to the topic at hand, yesterday it was stated that PHL will see more growth across the Atlantic with the XLRs (naturally) but AA wants to use it more as a North-South hub, so apparently more flights to Florida and upgauges will come. I feel like there was a lot more mainline/larger RJ (E175/CR9) flying out of PHL this summer, so this seems to be a recipe for success. CLT is obviously a great catch all hub for the whole east coast, but PHL is pretty well suited for the Northeast. excited to see what's to come. growth at all hubs was promised, and AA really has spread the wealth a bit, even with the focus on DFW and CLT.

phlphan

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 am

I think the flight to CMN will go daily fairly quickly and then maybe year round eventually as well. If they can develop the connections from CMN via codeshare, then the route will really explode!

clrd4t8koff

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:01 am

phlphan wrote:
I think the flight to CMN will go daily fairly quickly and then maybe year round eventually as well. If they can develop the connections from CMN via codeshare, then the route will really explode!

You think the PHL-CMN will go daily quickly? You realize AA is only flying PHL-CMN seasonally with a 757 and only scheduled to operate for THREE months next summer, yet AT is flying much larger markets like IAD-CMN and BOS-CMN with bigger aircraft (787’s) and they aren’t even daily .....but you think PHL will go daily quickly??? :scratchchin:

Phoenix757767

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:27 am

airlineworker wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

AA is getting seven more gates at CLT before the end if the year.

PHLspecial

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:33 am

chepos wrote:
FSDan wrote:

That question was asked during the town hall yesterday (re PHL-Asia flying). The answer was not anytime soon. I would say 5 years at the soonest?

Any other developments for PHL mention?
Sad there is no PHL-Asia anytime soon. I guess its easier to catch a train to EWR or shuttle to JFK or IAD.

chepos

AA and PHL

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:48 am

PHLspecial wrote:
chepos wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Sad there is no PHL-Asia anytime soon. I guess its easier to catch a train to EWR or shuttle to JFK or IAD.

Yes, it was mentioned there was going to be additional growth coming soon in the Domestic sector out of PHL (providing North-South connections). Additional North Atlantic growth was mentioned in the coming years (not sure if it meant for PHL or other hubs though).
But Asia out of PHL was a hard NO.

Not related to PHL, it was mentioned the next wave of Asia Pacific expansion would be to enhance the JAL JV and further expansion of flying related to the QF JV.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Ishrion

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:27 am

chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
chepos wrote:

Yes, it was mentioned there was going to be additional growth coming soon in the Domestic sector out of PHL (providing North-South connections). Additional North Atlantic growth was mentioned in the coming years (not sure if it meant for PHL or other hubs though).

Not related to PHL, it was mentioned the next wave of Asia Pacific expansion would be to enhance the JAL JV and further expansion of flying related to the QF JV.

Where did you get this info?

Strengthening the JAL JV sounds like potential secondary cities (KIX, NGO). Or the possibility of additional cities to NRT?

chepos

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:37 am

Ishrion wrote:
chepos wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Where did you get this info?

Strengthening the JAL JV sounds like potential secondary cities (KIX, NGO). Or the possibility of additional cities to NRT?

Town hall yesterday, I did not take it as secondary Japan. It appears to be centered around HND. The way I interpret it, JAL is going to be doing the heavy lifting between the US-Japan market and focusing connections via HND (rather than NRT).

Fly the Flag!!!!

acentauri

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:37 am

If AA doesn't find innovative ways to overcome the physical capacity constraints at PHL and continue growing North Atlantic, they'll remain in the "also ran" position relative to DL. I was speculating that AA's strategy, relative to downsizing JFK, was to move smaller aircraft route flying from PHL to CLT to make room for more large frame routes (particularly international). Casablanca may be a "test" case for more Africa - which is encouraging. Giving up on PHL-TLV was IMO, a huge mistake, regardless of the purported lack of acceptable profit levels. Without NE connections, DFW-TLV will last maybe 2 seasons. West coast jews, particularly "packages", are unlikely to favor connecting in Dallas with the plethora of LA/SFO/NYC non-stop flights to Israel (DL,ELAL,UA).

Ishrion

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:01 am

acentauri wrote:
If AA doesn't find innovative ways to overcome the physical capacity constraints at PHL and continue growing North Atlantic, they'll remain in the "also ran" position relative to DL. I was speculating that AA's strategy, relative to downsizing JFK, was to move smaller aircraft route flying from PHL to CLT to make room for more large frame routes (particularly international). Casablanca may be a "test" case for more Africa - which is encouraging. Giving up on PHL-TLV was IMO, a huge mistake, regardless of the purported lack of acceptable profit levels. Without NE connections, DFW-TLV will last maybe 2 seasons. West coast jews, particularly "packages", are unlikely to favor connecting in Dallas with the plethora of LA/SFO/NYC non-stop flights to Israel (DL,ELAL,UA).

Casablanca and the rest of the new European routes are literally tests for the market. AA starts conservatively and will increase as soon as possible if the route performs well, hence why PHL-DBV started 3x weekly and PHL-TXL started 4x weekly and both will increase to daily in Summer 2020.

DFW-TLV is driven by incentives as well. Would AA switch the DFW flight to PHL once those incentives are up?

Phoenix757767

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:00 am

PHL- TLV was a money loser and wasn’t profitable.

Bigant0408

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:33 pm

With the 321xlr coming in the next few years do you guys think they’d be used at B/C terminals for international departures at least because of the size and space or probably just A West and East only as usual?
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

acentauri

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:

I'm certain that those of us who've been in this discussion for years, here and elsewhere, are well aware of AA's stated reason for cancelling PHL-TLV. Not all of us agree that was the factual reason, regardless of whether they were/were not achieving profit goals. The long ? is always, if PHL-TLV profitability was the problem, why wasn't the flight moved to ORD, or MIA, or even highly competitive JFK? The fact is that AA did not abandon PHL- TLV, AA abandoned TLV. It's obvious they're willing to try again with DFW, 3x week and a $830K annual bribe from Israel, which IMO will struggle for success.

PHLspecial

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
With the 321xlr coming in the next few years do you guys think they’d be used at B/C terminals for international departures at least because of the size and space or probably just A West and East only as usual?

Maybe a flight or two? A West and A East can have another departure bank after 8-9pm after the 6pm-7pm departure bank leaves.

Bigant0408

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:32 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Maybe a flight or two? A West and A East can have another departure bank after 8-9pm after the 6pm-7pm departure bank leaves.

Got ya. I was just trying to think outside for more European expansion with the limited international gates PHL has but that’s a good idea if AA can pull that off
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

usairways85

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I've seen some AA 752 TA departures listed to depart from B/C on PHL's website

rj1385

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:24 pm

If AA and Philly wanted more gates and space, I see two options. They could relocate the economy lot by F (cheap) or do a rebuild like LGA and move everything closer to I95 and move the car rentals.

LotsaRunway

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 pm

One area that I wish AA upgraded at PHL is some of the ERJ service that Piedmont is flying to cities that really can use larger aircraft. The ERJs are being used for frequency, but become unreliable when conditions at PHL degrade. Send those 50-seaters to small cities like they are designed for. PHL doesn't need to choke on them in bad weather and the passenger doesn't need to be delayed/cancelled because they don't have the option of something more reliable. I'm not dissing Piedmont in any way. I've flown on them many times and have found their service to be fine, but they do get the short end when someone needs to free up space for the bigger planes at PHL.

Phoenix757767

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:32 pm

acentauri wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

I'm certain that those of us who've been in this discussion for years, here and elsewhere, are well aware of AA's stated reason for cancelling PHL-TLV. Not all of us agree that was the factual reason, regardless of whether they were/were not achieving profit goals. The long ? is always, if PHL-TLV profitability was the problem, why wasn't the flight moved to ORD, or MIA, or even highly competitive JFK? The fact is that AA did not abandon PHL- TLV, AA abandoned TLV. It's obvious they're willing to try again with DFW, 3x week and a $830K annual bribe from Israel, which IMO will struggle for success.

Guess you’ll have to ask Doug.

usxguy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:32 pm

AA has been consistent about why PHX/PHL don't have certain flights, and to some extent ORD/CLT. AA likes to funnel traffic thru specific airports, when it can, rather than try to be a "catch-all" at every single hub.

This is why you've seen a huge entrenchment by AA at PHL of US's former massive Caribbean network, which is now relegated to mostly CLT (and of course, AA's MIA hub). No more 3x a day PHL/SJU, 2x a day SXM, STT, PUJ, MBJ, etc. That traffic can (and does) get pushed thru CLT/MIA. Another reason you've seen BZE get cut from MIA - the new DFW flight is picking up a lot of the west coast/midwest -> BZE traffic instead of routing it thru MIA.

I'd expect to see more Canada from PHL in terms of short-term growth.
xx

chepos

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 pm

usxguy wrote:
AA has been consistent about why PHX/PHL don't have certain flights, and to some extent ORD/CLT. AA likes to funnel traffic thru specific airports, when it can, rather than try to be a "catch-all" at every single hub.

This is why you've seen a huge entrenchment by AA at PHL of US's former massive Caribbean network, which is now relegated to mostly CLT (and of course, AA's MIA hub). No more 3x a day PHL/SJU, 2x a day SXM, STT, PUJ, MBJ, etc. That traffic can (and does) get pushed thru CLT/MIA. Another reason you've seen BZE get cut from MIA - the new DFW flight is picking up a lot of the west coast/midwest -> BZE traffic instead of routing it thru MIA.

AA still flies BZE-MIA.

Fly the Flag!!!!

airlineworker

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

AA is getting seven more gates at CLT before the end if the year.

Seven more gates mean more and longer ground delays, like trying to stuff two pounds of liver in a one pound bag. CLT was never designed to handle the number of flights it has today. The AA today is not the AA before the merger with US. US had a bad reputation and now AA has that same reputation in the eyes of the customers.

usxguy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:37 pm

chepos wrote:
usxguy wrote:

AA still flies BZE-MIA.

Meant to say its been cut back significantly compared to other years. AA, at its peak, had up to 4 daily 727s doing it. Now I think its down to 2 ERJ 175s or 2 A319s. And then US had CLT/BZE daily with an A319/A320.
xx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos