Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

DOT Suspends non Havana Cuba route authorities

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 pm

"The U.S. Department of Transportation (the Department) suspends the authority granted to all U.S. carriers that authorize scheduled foreign air transportation between any point in the United States and any point in Cuba, except José Martí International Airport (HAV) in Havana. This suspension will be effective 45 days after the date of this Notice and will remain in effect until further notice of the Department.
Accordingly, the Department is suspending the exemption authority and frequency allocations granted to all U.S. carriers that authorize scheduled foreign air transportation between any point in the United States and any of the nine international airports in Cuba other than Havana, effective December 10, 2019.

OST-2016-0021

=

While big politcal news, not sure how much this really affects things for airlines as bulk of service was focused on HAV and most secondary cities have already failed and been cut or reduced.
Last edited by LAXintl on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Antarius

Re: DOT Suspends non Havana Cuba route authorities

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Solutions in search of problem again, I see.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

eal

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 pm

What does this accomplish exactly, what was the reason given? This only really effects Miami, but seems like an unnecessary loss of revenue for American carriers. If this "administration" wants to isolate Cuba, then why not Havana as well?

ScottB

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 pm

LAXintl wrote:
While big politcal news, not sure how much this really affects things for airlines as bulk of service was focused on HAV and most secondary cities have already failed and been cut or reduced.

Yep, I see the impact on the U.S. carriers as being minimal. If there's much demand for VFR travel, it will likely be met by the charter operators as in years past.

usdcaguy

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:06 pm

This is a real shame. Canadian carriers have been flying into tourist markets for years, and American carriers have been trying to do the same for travelers on a license, though the number of licenses is shrinking. Trump simply does not want us spending money in Cuba, and it will lead nowhere. Tourism to Cuba will come en masse from the US one day soon, and the restrictions will have seemed just as ridiculous as ever.

vtchaz78

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:11 pm

Is there an actual link to this? I can't find it anywhere on the DOT site or from any news source

Ishrion

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:14 pm

vtchaz78 wrote:
Is there an actual link to this? I can't find it anywhere on the DOT site or from any news source

Right here:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0021-1410

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Dozens inconvenienced
I don't take responsibility at all

OB1504

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:30 pm

ScottB wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Yep, I see the impact on the U.S. carriers as being minimal. If there's much demand for VFR travel, it will likely be met by the charter operators as in years past.

Swift Air is really the only charter operator left. Ironically, one of the reasons Eastern 2.0 collapsed is because the floodgates opened on Cuba before they could start their own scheduled service.

MaverickM11 wrote:
Dozens inconvenienced

The flights to Cuba out of MIA go out full. AA is much more reliable than the charter operators. This could easily affect tens of thousands of people, especially given that the ban goes into effect just before the holiday season.

realsim

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:36 pm

This will really impact AA's operation to Cuba, as there are daily flights to 5 destinations besides HAV: VRA, SNU, CMW, HOG and SCU.

What a shameful, inconceivable and hypocritical decision.
Last edited by realsim on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trueblew

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:37 pm

B6 serves a handful of secondary Cuba markets, likely very unprofitably. Might this be a gift to their bottom line?

jfklganyc

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 pm

Let’s face it...these routes were losers to airlines

B6 is bleeding money

This saves face for them pulling out

UPlog

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:55 pm

Doubt it matters much to airlines. Virtually all the non-Havana flying has failed and what remains if pretty limited.
I fly your boxes

ScottB

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:04 pm

realsim wrote:
This will really impact AA's operation to Cuba, as there are daily flights to 5 destinations besides HAV: VRA, SNU, CMW, HOG and SCU.

Oh, please. MIA-SNU is a shade over $100 each way (fare, not including over $100 in taxes) to fly next week. MIA-CMW and MIA-SCU are $80 each way. MIA-HOG is $75 each way. These aren't highly lucrative markets.

Chemist

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:04 pm

eal wrote:
What does this accomplish exactly, what was the reason given? This only really effects Miami, but seems like an unnecessary loss of revenue for American carriers. If this "administration" wants to isolate Cuba, then why not Havana as well?

Obama started those activities, and well,we can't have that now, can we?

FSDan

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:39 pm

If this affects any carrier negatively, it's AA. Although I suspect allowing HAV service to continue will eliminate any major outcry from the airlines. Seems like a silly move overall.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

UPlog

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Article on news

Trump Administration Bans U.S. Flights to All Cuban Cities Except Havana
https://skift.com/2019/10/25/trump-admi ... pt-havana/
I fly your boxes

Gulfstream500

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:49 pm

At least there will be less MAX cancellations...
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

tphuang

Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Greatest thing that could have happened for JetBlue

Actually not true, dot could have stopped all Cuba flying and the Cuban supporters at b6 can finally get lost.

wnflyguy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:04 am

I'm predicting because of the New Trump Restrictions now placed on Who can now travel to HAV this Will cause WN Bow out of the Market.
The next Schedule release is on October 30th.
Makes no sense to keep HAV any longer.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:19 am

wnflyguy wrote:
I'm predicting because of the New Trump Restrictions now placed on Who can now travel to HAV this Will cause WN Bow out of the Market.

Flyguy

I was just in Havana this past weekend, I agree that WN should leave Cuba. Unlike the other US based airlines that all operate out of terminal 3 (the main, new international terminal) Southwest operates from terminal 2 which is smaller, not as nice and honestly smells a little bit.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

bmartino99

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:21 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I was just in Havana this past weekend, I agree that WN should leave Cuba. Unlike the other US based airlines that all operate out of terminal 3 (the main, new international terminal) Southwest operates from terminal 2 which is smaller, not as nice and honestly smells a little bit.

But flying into and out of terminal 2 is a very unique experience. Walking out of the modern Southwest 737 and stepping onto the tarmac is just something you don't get to experience in most places nowadays. Walking through the old terminal to the old custom inspection stations was a classic Cuban experience. I wouldn't have my trip to Havana any other way.

sprxUSA

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Yeah, because terminal amenities, looks, and atmosphere should dictate an airlines' reason for being there or viability. Stupid.

In that case, AUS should lose whoever uses the 'South Terminal', AA abandon LGA for awhile, and so on. Jeez.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

mga707

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 am

bmartino99 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
But flying into and out of terminal 2 is a very unique experience. Walking out of the modern Southwest 737 and stepping onto the tarmac is just something you don't get to experience in most places nowadays. Walking through the old terminal to the old custom inspection stations was a classic Cuban experience. I wouldn't have my trip to Havana any other way.

Have not gotten to experience it but I get exactly what you're saying. The antidote to 'antiseptic travel'. I'd like to feel like I'm Michael Corleone looking for Fredo to pick me up in the '58 Cadillac.

bmartino99

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:30 am

mga707 wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

Have not gotten to experience it but I get exactly what you're saying. The antidote to 'antiseptic travel'. I'd like to feel like I'm Michael Corleone looking for Fredo to pick me up in the '58 Cadillac.

And you could probably arrange for a '58 Cadillac to pick you up if you wanted to.

Jonathanxxxx

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

While I can’t speak for WN’s finances on the route, the short stage length and consistent demand from South Florida-HAV should be able to support the route. IMO WN is the preferred option on the route. They supply two free checked bag that can be packed with supplies for people transporting goods between the two countries.

Oh, and UA operates their flights from HAV terminal 2 as well (which is basically a warehouse with partitions separating the different areas).

September11

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:48 am

Now, I am feeling sorry for Eastern 2.0
Airliners.net of the Future

caliboy78

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:01 am

Unlike many of you I have family in Cuba for which I was very appreciative and thankful when airlines were allowed to fly to those other airports besides Havana. It meant no more charters squeezing every penny out of the people and it meant freedom to see my family when needed. This move by this administration is STUPID and I really hope they rethink this.
TAAke pride on what you do and do it well.

bmartino99

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:01 am

Terminal 2 on Southwest, notice exiting out of the rear exit as well as the front.
Last edited by bmartino99 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mackdad

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:00 am

Only reason they didn’t suspend HAV is because the embassy is still open there. Gotta have the US carriers getting embassy people in and out of there.

janders

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:26 pm

You hardly need air service to support an embassy. Government has staff globally in places where no US airline has service including In Latin America.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

dcajet

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:19 pm

mackdad wrote:
Only reason they didn’t suspend HAV is because the embassy is still open there. Gotta have the US carriers getting embassy people in and out of there.

IIRC, staffing at the Havana embassy is down to the bare bones level. A good deal of the staff was evacuated after many complained about feeling sick, which has gone unexplained thus far, at least, officially.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Caymanair

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:38 am

Well, at least this could mean more traffic drifting back to flights via NAS and GCM, and perhaps even KIN now.

aemoreira1981

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:32 pm

trueblew wrote:
B6 serves a handful of secondary Cuba markets, likely very unprofitably. Might this be a gift to their bottom line?

Much of the Cuba service was cut back to Embraer 190 service. B6 would likely use those slots to open up other LatAm destinations...I'm surprised they have not tried PTY yet.

Thenoflyzone

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:40 pm

dcajet wrote:

IIRC, staffing at the Havana embassy is down to the bare bones level. A good deal of the staff was evacuated after many complained about feeling sick, which has gone unexplained thus far, at least, officially.

This affected Canadian Embassy staff as well.

Global Affairs Canada commissioned a clinical study by a team of multidisciplinary researchers in Halifax.

The cause is most likely neurotoxic agents used in pesticide fumigation.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5288609

The researchers found that since 2016, Cuba launched an aggressive campaign against mosquitoes to stop the spread of the Zika virus.

The embassies actively sprayed in offices, as well as inside and outside diplomatic residences — sometimes five times more frequently than usual. Many times, spraying operations were carried out every two weeks, according to embassy records.

Toxicological analysis of the Canadian victims confirmed the presence of pyrethroid and organophosphate — two compounds found in fumigation products.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

jumbojet

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:48 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

B6 is bleeding money

I've heard from friends that work at B6 that this is a huge sigh of relief for the airline, though they won't admit it

enilria

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:03 pm

To me this is like the government telling Toys R Us they need to close their retail stores (nice headline, effect:0).

tphuang

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:10 pm

jumbojet wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

B6 is bleeding money

I've heard from friends that work at B6 that this is a huge sigh of relief for the airline, though they won't admit it

I am truly curious who are the geniuses there that refuse to drop most of the Cuban flights in the first place.

Amazing they kept going so many routes that were flying half empty for most of the year.

alfa164

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:42 pm

caliboy78 wrote:
Unlike many of you I have family in Cuba for which I was very appreciative and thankful when airlines were allowed to fly to those other airports besides Havana. It meant no more charters squeezing every penny out of the people and it meant freedom to see my family when needed. This move by this administration is STUPID and I really hope they rethink this.

:checkmark: This. The administration's dictate is a slap in the face to everyone except to the ever-shrinking numbers of die-hard, anti-Castro exiles hanging on in Southern Florida. Pandering to a rapidly dwindling political bloc does not make good public policy.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

lat41

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Chemist wrote:
eal wrote:

Obama started those activities, and well,we can't have that now, can we?

And the beat goes on! And of course, we can't let the carriers quit of their own volition.

dcajet

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:11 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Global Affairs Canada commissioned a clinical study by a team of multidisciplinary researchers in Halifax.

The researchers found that since 2016, Cuba launched an aggressive campaign against mosquitoes to stop the spread of the Zika virus.

The embassies actively sprayed in offices, as well as inside and outside diplomatic residences — sometimes five times more frequently than usual. Many times, spraying operations were carried out every two weeks, according to embassy records.

Toxicological analysis of the Canadian victims confirmed the presence of pyrethroid and organophosphate — two compounds found in fumigation products.

Interesting. I wonder why no other nations' embassies were affected by this (that is known of)? Or were there a lot of mosquitoes near the US & Canadian ones?

CobaltScar

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:24 pm

good, the flights are always empty anyways.

The cuba routes were based on trying to be "edgy", not on reality. Just like the tourists who go there just to snap selfies and post about how "omg im surviving in a communist dictatorship and reaching out to the peoples!"

The government did both groups a favor.

rbavfan

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Jonathanxxxx wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

While I can’t speak for WN’s finances on the route, the short stage length and consistent demand from South Florida-HAV should be able to support the route. IMO WN is the preferred option on the route. They supply two free checked bag that can be packed with supplies for people transporting goods between the two countries.

Oh, and UA operates their flights from HAV terminal 2 as well (which is basically a warehouse with partitions separating the different areas).

As long as what you bring is allowed and they can pay the import taxes.

rbavfan

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:53 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

You can walk out of a more modern A320 in Long beach or in hawaii and walk across the tarmac just like the old days as well. Not all airports have or need the jetways.

rbavfan

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 pm

dcajet wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Interesting. I wonder why no other nations' embassies were affected by this (that is known of)? Or were there a lot of mosquitoes near the US & Canadian ones?

Do you think every embassy is going to publicly report something like this. Not every country has freedom of the press.

rbavfan

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:38 pm

CobaltScar wrote:

The cuba routes were based on trying to be "edgy", not on reality. Just like the tourists who go there just to snap selfies and post about how "omg im surviving in a communist dictatorship and reaching out to the peoples!"

Some of us would go to meet family of friends in the states. Have you ever been there? as you know so much about why people are visiting. Must be first had knowledge.

Also the routes were based on lets keep flying so when it does fully open up we have routes and a presence Thats why AA & B6 kept the routes. Otherwise if they drop them and things change they will have to fight to get them back in a limited access market. That is the reality in loosing money on the flights short term.

2travel2know2

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Almost all passengers flying from USA to airports other than HAV on Cuba could not be classified as tourists on holidays to the island, they are - most of the time - Cuban-Americans flying to visit their family.
DOT suspending all non-Havana route authority didn't pay any attention to the size of the island and consideration to those Cuban Americans with family in eastern Cuba. as SCU and HOG are in the east of the island.
Anybody now wishing to fly from the States to eastern Cuba, will be forced to fly via HAV or via an International Airport with flights to SCU or HOG.
Now, who knows if AA goes to US DOT with that Cuban geography case that because SCU Is too far from HAV, the MIA-SCU route authority shouldn't be included in the suspended routes.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

dcajet

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 pm

rbavfan wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Do you think every embassy is going to publicly report something like this. Not every country has freedom of the press.

Well. according to Reporters without Borders we (US) don't rate particularly high when it comes to freedom of the press. So, yes for most Western nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

Antarius

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:56 pm

CobaltScar wrote:

Since the government doesnt own any of the airlines, they arent really capable of deciding whether it is edgy or based on reality. LAX-PEK has trash yields, but airlines fly it due to other factors. Fortunately, the government isnt involved in that - yet.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

cledaybuck

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 am

alfa164 wrote:
caliboy78 wrote:

:checkmark: This. The administration's dictate is a slap in the face to everyone except to the ever-shrinking numbers of die-hard, anti-Castro exiles hanging on in Southern Florida. Pandering to a rapidly dwindling political bloc does not make good public policy.

Why would you expect good public policy from this administration?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos