Cointrin330
Topic Author

AA Expansion From JFK to Latin America?

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:09 am

Given the LATAM developments with Delta, I was wondering if AA might consider expanding slightly out of NYC and specifically, JFK, to additional Latin America markets, like BOG, LIM, GYE, and perhaps adding a second daily JFK-GRU flight, perhaps on a 772 to compensate for the loss of code-shares with LATAM in these markets?

Does the A321-XLR change the narrative for more JFK flying in general?

Ishrion

Re: AA Expansion From JFK to Latin America?

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:31 am

A321XLR is planned to operate some JFK routes. Seriously wouldn’t be surprised to see it operate some secondary Latin/South American markets. They’ve already begun a small Caribbean expansion this year.

usflyer msp

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 am

I doubt it. Yields on NYC-Northern South America are generally trash.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:46 am

Nothing AA has been doing recently indicates they are looking to expand JFK period.

Subwayfan1998

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:53 am

Actually American Airlines wants to Reduce or Eliminate all International Flights from JFK or Ending their Hub at JFK for Good. They are more focusing more on PHL, ORD and DFW than JFK.

MIA is an Latin American Hub for AA, so more like AA will expand from PHL, DFW, ORD, LAX and MIA to Latin American Countries than from JFK to Latin American Countries.

MAH4546

Re: AA Expansion From JFK to Latin America? Hi

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:08 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Nothing AA has been doing recently indicates they are looking to expand JFK period.

Expands not the right word but AA is launching JFK-MBJ/LIR/SJO/GEO soon.
a.

maps4ltd

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:32 am

Subwayfan1998 wrote:
Actually American Airlines wants to Reduce or Eliminate all International Flights from JFK or Ending their Hub at JFK for Good. They are more focusing more on PHL, ORD and DFW than JFK.

You sound like you're just spouting off points you've heard. This thread is more speculation.

And as a side note, please tone down the capitalization. It irks me to no end.
Delta Gold Medallion

chepos

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:36 am

Subwayfan1998 wrote:

MIA is an Latin American Hub for AA, so more like AA will expand from PHL, DFW, ORD, LAX and MIA to Latin American Countries than from JFK to Latin American Countries.

You post is more or less gibberish.

That being said, I do not see much more AA capacity added out of JFK-South America (Brazil being the noticeable exception if the Brazilian economy improves- with possible additional frequencies to GRU, extension of the GIG season).

LIM was a route AA flew out of JFK in the past, can’t see it coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

SJPBR

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:16 am

usflyer msp wrote:

If so why AA deploys it flagship 77W with true F class in GRU-JFK?
I don’t think so. But please give details.

HPRamper

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 am

SJPBR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I don't think Sao Paulo is considered to be "Northern South America."
Everything north of LIM, sure.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Subwayfan1998 wrote:

Um, ok. Yes, they want to cut all routes from JFK, including the $1BN revenue route they share with BA. That's absolutely not true. They just want JFK to be a station focused on the O&D market they have from NY and not a connecting operation. Vasu Raja indicated in the Q2 call that JFK is profitable now that all longhauls are on one plane type, the 777. They've announced extending JFK-FCO by two months. AA at JFK is here to stay, though it won't ever be what everyone here dreams of. A massive 400+ daily flight operation that folks seem to think it once was. It never was that.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:09 pm

SJPBR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Sao Paulo is not Northern Latin America, but regardless, the statement that NYC-Northern South America yields are trash is just misinformed nonsense. It is a big market.

LawAndOrder

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
SJPBR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Sao Paulo is not Northern Latin America, but regardless, the statement that NYC-Northern South America yields are trash is just misinformed nonsense. It is a big market.

A big market doesn’t mean yields aren’t trash!

SJPBR

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:04 pm

HPRamper wrote:
SJPBR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I don't think Sao Paulo is considered to be "Northern South America."
Everything north of LIM, sure.

you are right! sorry

jfklganyc

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:15 pm

It is down to 75 or so flights

AA at JFK will have a token international presence going forward

They are squeezed by B6 domestically, DL internationally, UA and DL in NY dominance.

AA needs to have a presence in NY because of the airline they are.

Will it be as big as it was in the past? No

Will they stay the size they are now? Likely
not

I imagine a good chunk of their regional ops out of LGA are marginal. There will be some cutting back there in the future.

JFK, likewise, will likely see cuts to the regional side and non partner hubs in Europe.

All of the cuts above involve forfeiting slots. So if/when those cuts occur, it will likely be during the next downturn. Until then, they will hum along

usflyer msp

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
SJPBR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

A large market that is hypercompetive, extremely price sensitive, and has little premium cabin demand. Despite similar distances to the shorter Europe flights, you can often find NYC-LIM and NYC-BOG for less than $500 in economy and less than $900 RT in premium cabins. That is pretty trashy to me.

Subwayfan1998

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Subwayfan1998 wrote:

Um, ok. Yes, they want to cut all routes from JFK, including the $1BN revenue route they share with BA. That's absolutely not true. They just want JFK to be a station focused on the O&D market they have from NY and not a connecting operation. Vasu Raja indicated in the Q2 call that JFK is profitable now that all longhauls are on one plane type, the 777. They've announced extending JFK-FCO by two months. AA at JFK is here to stay, though it won't ever be what everyone here dreams of. A massive 400+ daily flight operation that folks seem to think it once was. It never was that.

You're Right, My Bad.

rbavfan

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:15 am

Ishrion wrote:
A321XLR is planned to operate some JFK routes. Seriously wouldn’t be surprised to see it operate some secondary Latin/South American markets. They’ve already begun a small Caribbean expansion this year.

So how have they started XLR ops when it's still in development?

Ishrion

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:39 am

rbavfan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

So how have they started XLR ops when it's still in development?

Bad phrasing. AA has begun the expansion, not with the XLRs.

questions

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:56 am

jfklganyc wrote:

They are squeezed by B6 domestically, DL internationally, UA and DL in NY dominance.

not

I imagine a good chunk of their regional ops out of LGA are marginal. There will be some cutting back there in the future.

JFK, likewise, will likely see cuts to the regional side and non partner hubs in Europe.

All of the cuts above involve forfeiting slots. So if/when those cuts occur, it will likely be during the next downturn. Until then, they will hum along

Is T8 more than AA needs?

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:57 am

T8 is still really great for oneworld to get more carriers under one roof and make connections easier.

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
the statement that NYC-Northern South America yields are trash is just misinformed nonsense. It is a big market.

Big market doesn't equate to high-yield market.....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:52 am

questions wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

not

I fly AA out of JFK pretty often and T8 is massive (the largest at JFK). It is fairly quiet and operations are spread out, with AA long haul international services mostly using the land side part of the terminal and domestic flights, including most of the LAX/SFO transcons using the mid-field portion of the terminal. British Airways and Iberia will eventually relocate from T7 into T8 at the end of 2021 (T7 is going to be torn down). Before the move, a $450 million project to add 5 gates and other facilities for BA are expected to happen, though I have seen no construction on my most recent trip through there this week. If Aer Lingus becomes a full oneworld member, then I could see them re-locate to T8. Japan Airlines will remain in T1 as they are one of four airlines that own it (AF, KE, LH being the other 3) but T1 is also slated to be demolished in the future and so I could see JL move to T8 either on a temporary or permanent basis. T8 is one of the nicest terminals at JFK given how spacious it is. It could use some better food outlets and supposedly, part of the $450 million upgrade will see improvements to the retail complex as well. With LATAM leaving oneworld, I would expect them to move out of T8 and relocate the GRU, SCL, GYE, and LIM flights to T4 with DL.

jfklganyc

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Food outlets and restrooms are much nicer in T5.

T4 has that spectacular shopping area

T8 is nice, but never finished (and it still wont be) and very empty

Once BA moves in, there will be a bit more life.

The lounges in T8 are spectacular. Because there are so few flights, they feel like private oasis’. Unlike the Delta Times Square-esque lounge in T4

chepos

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
questions wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

not

I fly AA out of JFK pretty often and T8 is massive (the largest at JFK). It is fairly quiet and operations are spread out, with AA long haul international services mostly using the land side part of the terminal and domestic flights, including most of the LAX/SFO transcons using the mid-field portion of the terminal. British Airways and Iberia will eventually relocate from T7 into T8 at the end of 2021 (T7 is going to be torn down). Before the move, a $450 million project to add 5 gates and other facilities for BA are expected to happen, though I have seen no construction on my most recent trip through there this week. If Aer Lingus becomes a full oneworld member, then I could see them re-locate to T8. Japan Airlines will remain in T1 as they are one of four airlines that own it (AF, KE, LH being the other 3) but T1 is also slated to be demolished in the future and so I could see JL move to T8 either on a temporary or permanent basis. T8 is one of the nicest terminals at JFK given how spacious it is. It could use some better food outlets and supposedly, part of the $450 million upgrade will see improvements to the retail complex as well. With LATAM leaving oneworld, I would expect them to move out of T8 and relocate the GRU, SCL, GYE, and LIM flights to T4 with DL.

The food options at T8 need massive improvement, they are not good at all. Once EI joins the IAG/AA JV I would expect them to move to T8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

jfk777

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
questions wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

not

Terminal 1 getting torn down ? Where did you get that questionable info ?

Terminal 1 is getting expanded on the present terminal 2 site and old Pan AM worldport Terminal 3 site. A huge expansion for T1 is what is happening. Terminal 1 is not going anywhere.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:23 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
questions wrote:

Terminal 1 is getting expanded on the present terminal 2 site and old Pan AM worldport Terminal 3 site. A huge expansion for T1 is what is happening. Terminal 1 is not going anywhere.

T1 will be replaced by a much larger structure that will also extend over the T2 site, which is now the oldest terminal in operation at the airport. This was all announced when the PANYNJ announced that T7 will be closed down and torn down with BA and IB moving to T8.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-detai ... -and-more/

questions

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

T1 will be replaced by a much larger structure that will also extend over the T2 site, which is now the oldest terminal in operation at the airport. This was all announced when the PANYNJ announced that T7 will be closed down and torn down with BA and IB moving to T8.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-detai ... -and-more/

Thanks for providing the link which also includes links from the governor’s office(in the comments). It will be interesting to see all the relocations of airlines during construction of T8 and T5, with T1 seeming especially challenging. Whatever happened to the planned extension of T4A? It is absent in the renderings.

incitatus

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:55 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Food outlets and restrooms are much nicer in T5.

T4 has that spectacular shopping area

T8 is nice, but never finished (and it still wont be) and very empty

Once BA moves in, there will be a bit more life.

The lounges in T8 are spectacular. Because there are so few flights, they feel like private oasis’. Unlike the Delta Times Square-esque lounge in T4

How about the lounges in T5? How good are they?
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos