Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

American Airlines Goes 2x Daily On DFW-FCO

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:28 am

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1188322670963757056

This was likely added about 30 minutes ago at 12:00 a.m. CST.

From July 2 to August 17, 2020, American Airlines will add a second daily DFW-FCO flight using the 788. This is in addition to AA's other 772 flight.

AA290 Depart DFW 18:35 Arrive FCO 12:00
AA289 Depart FCO 14:00 Arrive DFW 19:05

This should be reflected in the OAG thread today. There may be additional changes (aircraft swaps, seasonal extensions, etc.) but this is all I could find.

I'm assuming AA will likely have a press release on something like this later in the week... potentially in conjunction with the Oceania routes?

chepos

Re: American Airlines Goes 2x Daily On DFW-FCO

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 am

Hopefully an extension of ORD-FCO into December is also announced soon. It has been rumored some ORD European routes would get the season extended (BCN ext was already announced).

I recall when DFW-FCO was announced, many on this site insisted it would last one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Detroit313

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:24 am

Impressive!

lesfalls

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:06 am

Anyone know if theres a lot of Buisness traffic on this route or is it just solely VFR/Tourism as that is what generally makes up the FCO market.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

IADFCO

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:19 am

I'm curious too. For the average Italian, the US ends at NYC, maybe MIA. 2 (two) DFW-FCO flights ?!

9w748capt

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 am

chepos wrote:

I recall when DFW-FCO was announced, many on this site insisted it would last one season.

Right? Cracks me up how wrong they usually are. Yet they're so arrogant.

They also said DFW-AMS wouldn't last. Pretty sure that's coming back too.

Amazing growth by AA. I suggested DFW-ATH in the past and got laughed off. It's gonna be hilarious when AA adds it. May be a few years, but I have a feeling!

9w748capt

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:27 am

IADFCO wrote:
I'm curious too. For the average Italian, the US ends at NYC, maybe MIA. 2 (two) DFW-FCO flights ?!

Not sure if you know, but Americans LOVE going to Italy. Like a lot. Not only that, but many of those people live not in New York! Crazy right? How bizarre that a flight connecting one of the busiest US hubs to a city that's a top tourist destination - is doing well. Amazing.

Cointrin330

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:58 am

Great to see this. AA has an extensive operation to Italy given no feed on the Italy end, with FCO served year round from PHL and seasonally from DFW, ORD, CLT, and JFK (along with PHL-VCE, ORD-VCE, JFK-MXP, MIA-MXP). The JFK-FCO route was extended for 2020 to begin in March (rather than late April/early May) and continue through to November. The PHL-BLQ route was a failure, yes, but in the future, I could see them adding more secondary markets in Italy like NAP, PMO, or PSA.

Cointrin330

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:59 am

IADFCO wrote:

What a stupid statement. Italians travel all over the US and particularly to the US West Coast.

9w748capt

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Great to see this. AA has an extensive operation to Italy given no feed on the Italy end, with FCO served year round from PHL and seasonally from DFW, ORD, CLT, and JFK (along with PHL-VCE, ORD-VCE, JFK-MXP, MIA-MXP). The JFK-FCO route was extended for 2020 to begin in March (rather than late April/early May) and continue through to November. The PHL-BLQ route was a failure, yes, but in the future, I could see them adding more secondary markets in Italy like NAP, PMO, or PSA.

Totally agree. Was surprised AA hasn't announced PHL-NAP to compete with UA's EWR-NAP. By all accounts EWR-NAP is doing well. Would make the Amalfi coast even more accessible. Oh yeah that reminds me of the thread where all the armchair CEOs said NAP would never work because why wouldn't you just fly to FCO, hahaha!

9w748capt

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

What a stupid statement. Italians travel all over the US and particularly to the US West Coast.

Thank you. Needs to be said. The closed-mindedness and ignorance from parts of this forum is astonishing.

Aisak

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
AA has an extensive operation to Italy given no feed on the Italy end, with FCO served year round from PHL and seasonally from DFW, ORD, CLT, and JFK (along with PHL-VCE, ORD-VCE, JFK-MXP, MIA-MXP).

Actually they do. Or at least they could. AA recently applied for permisión to codeshare on Vueling transatlantic (none) and intraeuropean flights. Remember IAG’s Vueling has an extensive base at FCO so I’ll expect tons of AA coded flights at departures boards soon

jayunited

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:22 pm

IADFCO wrote:

If this is your attempt at a joke, I think it fell flat.

jfklganyc

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Italy is a very friendly country

And here’s a plus: they love Americans and love New York

You will not get the anti-American sentiment you get in many European countries on your trip

What is most unusual is that FCO (which is generally thought of us low yielding on a.net) has seen such success for AA with the recent expansions.

FYI: never order a bottle of wine in Italy. Always house wine...cheaper than water; the nicest parts of Italy are outside its cities; nothing is ever air conditioned even if they say it is; getting ice for a drink will be your hardest task :)

jumbojet

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Impressive!

6 weeks of 2x daily is impressive? Not so sure about that. Why not just make it for the entire summer season? Where is the 788 frame coming from for those 6 weeks?

chepos

American Airlines Goes 2x Daily On DFW-FCO

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Impressive!

6 weeks of 2x daily is impressive? Not so sure about that. Why not just make it for the entire summer season? Where is the 788 frame coming from for those 6 weeks?

Hahaha, change the title to DL adds summer peak season extra frequency between DTW-FCO and you in particular would be celebrating it as the second coming of Jesus.

Fly the Flag!!!!

kondoo

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Don't forget the Catholic population all over Latin America

BA744PHX

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:47 pm

chepos wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Impressive!

Hahaha, change the title to DL adds summer peak season extra frequency between DTW-FCO and you in particular would be celebrating it as the second coming of Jesus.

Agreed, if this was DL everyone would be praising, the best decision ever! blah blah blah,

wenders825

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:06 pm

this flight gets a really wide range of connections from places where it's generally difficult to get to Rome in one stop. should be no surprise it performs this well.

I anticipate BCN and maybe ATH in due time from DFW

LJ

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:54 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Anyone know if theres a lot of Buisness traffic on this route or is it just solely VFR/Tourism as that is what generally makes up the FCO market.

With most part of Europe on hoiliday, not much business traffic going on in those weeks. However, fares in Economy are usually high in peak Summer, thus there 's money to be made.

chepos

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:02 pm

wenders825 wrote:
this flight gets a really wide range of connections from places where it's generally difficult to get to Rome in one stop. should be no surprise it performs this well.

I anticipate BCN and maybe ATH in due time from DFW

DFW-BCN has been long rumored, it is a mass volume tourist market which in summer should work fine.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Cointrin330

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:12 pm

Aisak wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
AA has an extensive operation to Italy given no feed on the Italy end, with FCO served year round from PHL and seasonally from DFW, ORD, CLT, and JFK (along with PHL-VCE, ORD-VCE, JFK-MXP, MIA-MXP).

Actually they do. Or at least they could. AA recently applied for permisión to codeshare on Vueling transatlantic (none) and intraeuropean flights. Remember IAG’s Vueling has an extensive base at FCO so I’ll expect tons of AA coded flights at departures boards soon

They applied for it. They don't have it yet.

Aisak

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Aisak wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

They applied for it. They don't have it yet.

Even though the DOT would oppose (who knows) to the codeshare, they still have an interline agreement. It would be just adding VY flights ex-FCO on connecting flights on AA.com for sale

MAH4546

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:08 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

jayunited wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

If this is your attempt at a joke, I think it fell flat.

I think OP knows that but something close to like 60%+ or Italy originating traffic to the States is just going to NYC and Miami. Italians also love California, but not much else. It’s why during the winter, when U.S. originating traffic falls flat, Italy has struggled to support anything other than Miami and NYC, along with Delta’s Atlanta flight and AA’s Philly flight. Some of the Norwegian stuff is year-round too but I forget which ones. Very few U.S. Italy routes are year-round. Even Chicago and Boston usually don’t have AZ flights to Rome in January/February.
a.

dcajet

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:29 pm

kondoo wrote:
Don't forget the Catholic population all over Latin America

Although most Latins Americans call themselves Catholic they are far less observant than most Americans (Catholics & Christian). Not a factor that would move the needle. And from deep South America, there are plenty of nonstops between FCO to EZE/GIG/GRU/SCL. Ties between Argentina and Italy are particularly strong, given that upwards of over 50% of Argentinians descend from Italians (~24M).
Keep calm and wash your hands.

WA707atMSP

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

You will not get the anti-American sentiment you get in many European countries on your trip

What is most unusual is that FCO (which is generally thought of us low yielding on a.net) has seen such success for AA with the recent expansions.

FYI: never order a bottle of wine in Italy. Always house wine...cheaper than water; the nicest parts of Italy are outside its cities; nothing is ever air conditioned even if they say it is; getting ice for a drink will be your hardest task :)

Well said! One other thing: The food in Italy is fantastic, no matter where you go. It's almost impossible to get a bad meal there.

After you've been to Italy, you'll never want to set foot in an Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill again - the food in Italy really IS that much better!

WTXJET

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:06 am

I'll throw out a different perspective, largely based on my own experience. Besides flying, I like to cruise. The six week period of the second AA flight just happens to correspond with peak European cruise season.

UpNAWAy

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 am

IADFCO wrote:

What BS Europeans travel all over the US including Texas, Vegas and California. Certianly NY and Florida ere the most popular but Euroes are everywhere in the US which anyone whom travels would know.

BN727227Ultra

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:26 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

Flew KOA-LAX back in 2007, about 25% of the main cabin was an Italian-speaking tour group.

luckyone

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:15 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Well said! One other thing: The food in Italy is fantastic, no matter where you go. It's almost impossible to get a bad meal there.

After you've been to Italy, you'll never want to set foot in an Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill again - the food in Italy really IS that much better!

I don’t disagree with your assessment of the food to be had in Italy. But you don’t need to go to Italy to realize how BAD the food is at those two establishments.

dfdubflyer

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 am

Yeah this is like six weeks worth of 2x daily, but thinking back to just summer 2016 season since then we've seen DFW-Europe add FCO, MUC, DUB, and AMS as well as an additional frequency on CDG, MAD, and FCO.

Each one I feel like I remember seeing skepticism on this board about the viability of each flight and they keep coming back. Who knows how much will last in the next recession but impressive TATL growth from a largely mature hub in a bad location for TATL flying.

FluidFlow

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:20 am

Good timing of this flight arriving at 12:00. This should make for the transfer window to the Cruises. Rome is one of the main "Starting points" for cruises next to Barcelona and Venice. While Europeans can start at almost every port for tourists from far away this would most of the time include another flight segment.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos