Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
dfwjim1
Topic Author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Today I was in FlightAware and I noticed that the AA flight from MIA to Brasilia leaves MIA at 4 PM and arrives in Brasilia at around 12:55 AM and then leaves Brasilia at 755 AM the same morning getting into MIA at 150 PM. Just curious as to why this flight does not leave MIA later in the evening and return in the evening from Brasilia like AA's other flights to Sao Paulo and Rio. Is Brasilia considered a deep South America destination or is far enough north that the AA can justify the departure times at both ends?

Thanks for your responses.
 
rj1385
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 am

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:32 pm

I would assume the plane has to overnight somewhere. Airlines do not run their aircraft 24/7? I assume the plane flying south begins at 7am or 8am somewhere before sleeping at BSB.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Today I was in FlightAware and I noticed that the AA flight from MIA to Brasilia leaves MIA at 4 PM and arrives in Brasilia at around 12:55 AM and then leaves Brasilia at 755 AM the same morning getting into MIA at 150 PM. Just curious as to why this flight does not leave MIA later in the evening and return in the evening from Brasilia like AA's other flights to Sao Paulo and Rio. Is Brasilia considered a deep South America destination or is far enough north that the AA can justify the departure times at both ends?

Thanks for your responses.

Probably a combination of geography and the route being less dependent on business travel.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2544
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:53 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Today I was in FlightAware and I noticed that the AA flight from MIA to Brasilia leaves MIA at 4 PM and arrives in Brasilia at around 12:55 AM and then leaves Brasilia at 755 AM the same morning getting into MIA at 150 PM. Just curious as to why this flight does not leave MIA later in the evening and return in the evening from Brasilia like AA's other flights to Sao Paulo and Rio. Is Brasilia considered a deep South America destination or is far enough north that the AA can justify the departure times at both ends?

Thanks for your responses.


Shorter flight time means a same day turn is possible. The deep south flights result in the aircraft being on the ground for 15 hours.

Also, yields are better at places like GRU, SCL etc. Which allows for the profitability of flights despite the aircraft being on the ground so long.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
dcajet
Posts: 4710
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:17 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Today I was in FlightAware and I noticed that the AA flight from MIA to Brasilia leaves MIA at 4 PM and arrives in Brasilia at around 12:55 AM and then leaves Brasilia at 755 AM the same morning getting into MIA at 150 PM. Just curious as to why this flight does not leave MIA later in the evening and return in the evening from Brasilia like AA's other flights to Sao Paulo and Rio. Is Brasilia considered a deep South America destination or is far enough north that the AA can justify the departure times at both ends?

Thanks for your responses.


It used to be that way until some time ago: the 757 was all day parked in BSB. Then AA announced a change of schedule and equipment from the 757 to the MAX 8. We all know what happened to the MAX so the 757 stuck. Schedules did not and the plane now overnights at BSB and returns to MIA first thing in the AM.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:27 pm

BSB is not lucrative enough to justify tying up two airframes on the double overnight schedule.
 
Aeroflot001
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:43 am

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:30 pm

Used to be an overnight red-eye as others have mentioned but it was meant to change with the incorporation of the 737MAX onto the route. Gol was also supposed to fly this route with the Max and BSB-MCO which would have been the worlds longest MAX route but that is of course not currently operating. I flew MIA-BSB on four different occasions and the schedule leaving MIA at night and arriving in BSB in the morning was convenient.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 pm

I'm kind of surprised AA doesn't operate a turnaround schedule similar to MAO (flight departs MIA in the evening, arounds MAO around 1am, departs back for MIA around 2am and then arrives in MIA after sunrise).
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26254
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:40 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I'm kind of surprised AA doesn't operate a turnaround schedule similar to MAO (flight departs MIA in the evening, arounds MAO around 1am, departs back for MIA around 2am and then arrives in MIA after sunrise).


MAO is significantly closer. It’s not even long haul. It’s not much further from Miami than LA is.
a.
 
dfwjim1
Topic Author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Miami/Brasilia on American Airlines

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:49 am

MAH4546 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
I'm kind of surprised AA doesn't operate a turnaround schedule similar to MAO (flight departs MIA in the evening, arounds MAO around 1am, departs back for MIA around 2am and then arrives in MIA after sunrise).


MAO is significantly closer. It’s not even long haul. It’s not much further from Miami than LA is.


Amazing. And the turnaround schedules from LAX back to MIA are the same too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos