Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
747fan
Topic Author
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:40 am

American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 am

Some big news from AA to start the work week...
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

To summarize, both will operate seasonally from 10/25/20-3/25/21. DFW-AKL will be daily on a 789, LAX-CHC 3 days/week on a 788. Also, LAX-AKL will be starting 3 weeks earlier next fall on 10/7/20.
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 am

747fan wrote:
Some big news from AA to start the work week...
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

To summarize, both will operate seasonally from 10/25/20-3/25/21. DFW-AKL will be daily on a 789, LAX-CHC 3 days/week on a 788. Also, LAX-AKL will be starting 3 weeks earlier next fall on 10/7/20.


Congrats AA, wasnt expecting LAX-CHC, but hope it works out with increased frequency
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3055
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am

Awesome news... rather interesting nothing on Australia yet.
 
wenders825
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am

CHC is massive. wow. definitely rumored that this was required for the JV to get approved

really surprised LAX-AKL can't sustain year round
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3055
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:25 am

Perfect timing for an announcement also... AA's LAX-AKL just relaunched last night.

Also highlighted in the release: "Qantas will also increase from six weekly flights between Sydney, Australia (SYD), and DFW to daily service by mid-2020"
 
smi0006
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am

Awesome and bold- well done AA!! Little stunned myself, whilst seasonal - that’s big I feel.

EWR,DFW, and LAX-CHC! Big increase in NZ-US capacity. I doubt NZ will stay 14weekly to LAX.

Ishrion wrote:
Awesome news... rather interesting nothing on Australia yet.


Agreed, still nothing for MEL-LAX! Surprises me. Makes me think it would be year round but they don’t have the frames, or peak MEL slots, but could be wrong/optimistic! We will see!


Ishrion wrote:
Perfect timing for an announcement also... AA's LAX-AKL just relaunched last night.

Also highlighted in the release: "Qantas will also increase from six weekly flights between Sydney, Australia (SYD), and DFW to daily service by mid-2020"


Curious indeed. A380, or 789 where is the frame coming from? Maybe once the re-config is finished.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18251
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:33 am

wenders825 wrote:
CHC is massive. wow. definitely rumored that this was required for the JV to get approved

really surprised LAX-AKL can't sustain year round

Required by whom?
I don't take responsibility at all
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:34 am

CHC-LAX is an awesome surprise, didn't NZ fly this route until the mid-2000s? Anyone know how it did then?
 
AirbusA322
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:38 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:35 am

More pressure on ANZ than anyone else, really starting to be squeezed now. Would be minimal traffic from Oz connections they would get on these routes considering the vast network that now exists from the East Coast Oz to USA now directly.

With all the recent capacity increases out of Oz and upcoming, there might not be any opportunities for AA expanding Melbourne or Brisbane. We have seen the seasonal United adjustments which further shows the overcapacity in the market as earlier this decade these adjustments were unheard of.

Looks more like a virtual QF and AA setup. QF runs the Oz to USA, AA runs the NZ to US runs, and the pax can connect across the Tasman on QF. Fly into NZ then fly back out of Oz. ANZ has a similar setup with the Virgin partnership until that went down the toilet!
 
smi0006
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:43 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
wenders825 wrote:
CHC is massive. wow. definitely rumored that this was required for the JV to get approved

really surprised LAX-AKL can't sustain year round

Required by whom?


New Zealand competition authorities - I’m skeptical this was a requirement given their lax approach to SIN, and HKG with the SQ/NZ and CX/NZ JVs which have minimal competition


AirbusA322 wrote:
More pressure on ANZ than anyone else, really starting to be squeezed now. Would be minimal traffic from Oz connections they would get on these routes considering the vast network that now exists from the East Coast Oz to USA now directly.

With all the recent capacity increases out of Oz and upcoming, there might not be any opportunities for AA expanding Melbourne or Brisbane. We have seen the seasonal United adjustments which further shows the overcapacity in the market as earlier this decade these adjustments were unheard of.

Looks more like a virtual QF and AA setup. QF runs the Oz to USA, AA runs the NZ to US runs, and the pax can connect across the Tasman on QF. Fly into NZ then fly back out of Oz. ANZ has a similar setup with the Virgin partnership until that went down the toilet!

Agreed, wouldn’t surprise me to see a joint Pacific JV between NZ/UA including New Zealand/United States/Australia, perhaps even one day including Canada and AC?
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3402
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:46 am

I tend to that that these will be the end of the announcements by QF and AA at this time. I think not long ago I recall AA saying they were looking to launch 2 routes, and that would be those ones.

The press release mentioned SYD-DFW increasing your daily, so one would have expected any Australian services to be in this announcement also.

With upcoming BNE-ORD/SFO, adding additional capacity on SYD-DFW, these NZ services, along with existing routes, I tend to think that the market will be interesting to watch. Lots of new options and capacity to fill.
 
x1234
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 pm

The QF A380 on LAX-MEL is simply too much capacity for AA I guess. AA/QF now have a mini-hub in AKL from Australian airports onto DFW like MEL or BNE.
 
x1234
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Also to note transiting SYD from domestic to international is a hassle as you have to ride a bus as the terminals are separated. In AKL QF/AA are in the same terminal allowing a faster transit from MEL or BNE to DFW.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5247
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Congrats to AA and their amazing route department that does some pretty amazing things with their out of the box thinking.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
flyingisthebest
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Wow this is an amazing announcement hopefully they have can succeed and make both routes all year round...
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 pm

CHC...wow. That's some of the biggest news since PHL-CMN for them. I hope it works out.
Next flights:
AA1003 STL-ORD Airbus A319 November 25
AA3170 ORD-ASE Bombardier CRJ-700 November 25
AA3247 ASE-ORD Bombardier CRJ-700 November 29
AA1960 ORD-STL Airbus A319 November 29
 
Weatherwatcher1
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 pm

angusjt wrote:
CHC-LAX is an awesome surprise, didn't NZ fly this route until the mid-2000s? Anyone know how it did then?


Air New Zealand flew 3 times per week on a 747. The 747 was simply too much airplane for the route. The 787-8 is a much better capacity match for tourists headed to the South Island.
 
346fetish
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:57 pm

Nice. So many new routes added between USA/Canada-NZ/AUS in recent years. Looking forward to seeing LAXCHC results.
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."
 
by738
Posts: 3116
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:59 pm

After a year of these routes operating, lets see if they remain the proposed format..
 
jetsetter629
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:59 pm

I work for a tour company selling trips to the South Pacific and heard rumor of the CHC add for some time now so it's good to see it's now official. Capacity is way up to Aus & especially NZ which is fantastic to see!
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:07 pm

CHC is interesting.

NZ attempted LAX-CHC a while back and it didn't last very long. They used a 744 IIRC which was more than likely too much for the route. A 787-8 seems perfect. New Zealand is much more popular as a tourist destination for Americans than it was some 10-12 years or so ago when they attempted the route.

I wonder if LAX-AKL will eventually become year-round.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:10 pm

smi0006 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
wenders825 wrote:
CHC is massive. wow. definitely rumored that this was required for the JV to get approved

really surprised LAX-AKL can't sustain year round

Required by whom?


New Zealand competition authorities - I’m skeptical this was a requirement given their lax approach to SIN, and HKG with the SQ/NZ and CX/NZ JVs which have minimal competition


AirbusA322 wrote:
More pressure on ANZ than anyone else, really starting to be squeezed now. Would be minimal traffic from Oz connections they would get on these routes considering the vast network that now exists from the East Coast Oz to USA now directly.

With all the recent capacity increases out of Oz and upcoming, there might not be any opportunities for AA expanding Melbourne or Brisbane. We have seen the seasonal United adjustments which further shows the overcapacity in the market as earlier this decade these adjustments were unheard of.

Looks more like a virtual QF and AA setup. QF runs the Oz to USA, AA runs the NZ to US runs, and the pax can connect across the Tasman on QF. Fly into NZ then fly back out of Oz. ANZ has a similar setup with the Virgin partnership until that went down the toilet!

Agreed, wouldn’t surprise me to see a joint Pacific JV between NZ/UA including New Zealand/United States/Australia, perhaps even one day including Canada and AC?


NZ/UA already have a JV, but it does not cover AUS. AC/NZ announced intentions for a JV when AC announced 4x weekly seasonal YVR-AKL service


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
WestendRaider
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:33 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:34 pm

AirbusA322 wrote:
Looks more like a virtual QF and AA setup. QF runs the Oz to USA, AA runs the NZ to US runs, and the pax can connect across the Tasman on QF. Fly into NZ then fly back out of Oz. ANZ has a similar setup with the Virgin partnership until that went down the toilet!


ANZ can also do the same with their JV partner UAL. Fly into OZ on UAL, fly across Tasman on ANZ and then fly back to US on ANZ or UAL. Granted, there are a few shortcomings vis-a-vis AA&QF JV but they do have the basic setup in place already.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:57 pm

You have to give AA props for their strategy. Now both TATL and TPAC they're focusing on ways to enter markets that previously had no US service or very limited US service. Examples being DBV, KRW, BUD and now CHC. That's impressive!
 
MARSHAL1
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Wow, DFW is on a roll with all of these AA ads. Congrats to AA and hopefully these flights will go daily, year around.
 
User avatar
gdg9
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Also, AA will add a second daily DFW-FCO run for about six weeks July/August 2020. 787.
@dfwtower
 
avi8
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Amazing how AA has beefed up its DFW hub. It almost seems like only a few European destinations served from ORD/PHL are the only routes not served from DFW these days.
avi8
 
Detroit313
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Meanwhile, Delta doesn't fly to New Zealand AT ALL.

Not that that's bad or matters, but if the opposite was the case this forum would be dragging AA constantly about it.
 
NZ321
Posts: 1233
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Although pleased by this announcement, I am intrigued that AA won't maintain a year round presence even out of LAX to AKL. NZ has maintained double daily AKL-LAX since a long time, year round. So are they serious with QF or what? Clearly they see this as a seasonal adjunct to redeploy spare capacity in the off season northern hemisphere, but what does this do for One World fliers in the southern hemisphere who need to get from New Zealand to US during the southern hemisphere winter / northern hemisphere summer? Or vice versa. It's hardly convincing. I would have thought a year round service perhaps less than daily, would have at least kept the gate open. For now, we have to cope with gate open, gate shut. Please explain to me - how does this build market presence with your most important fliers? I am skeptical we will see this one cut the slice of the cake they are looking for unless they take the plunge. A year round service would be the bottom line for that. But good luck to them anyway.
Plane mad!
 
NZ321
Posts: 1233
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Meanwhile, Delta doesn't fly to New Zealand AT ALL.

Not that that's bad or matters, but if the opposite was the case this forum would be dragging AA constantly about it.


NZ can't support four US airlines on top of NZ. Doesn't work. DL had the opportunity and chose to pass on this one like they have on many trans-Pacific opportunities. They seem shy of ultra long haul flying. It's sad. I am not sure why? I think there might have been an opportunity for ATL-AKL-SYD or ATL-AKL-MEL. But I guess they were shy of the yields across the Tasman and perhaps their tie up with Virgin Australia isn't as strong as one might wish for. Wishful thinking.
Plane mad!
 
dfw88
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:39 pm

NZ321 wrote:
Although pleased by this announcement, I am intrigued that AA won't maintain a year round presence even out of LAX to AKL. NZ has maintained double daily AKL-LAX since a long time, year round. So are they serious with QF or what? Clearly they see this as a seasonal adjunct to redeploy spare capacity in the off season northern hemisphere, but what does this do for One World fliers in the southern hemisphere who need to get from New Zealand to US during the southern hemisphere winter / northern hemisphere summer? Or vice versa. It's hardly convincing. I would have thought a year round service perhaps less than daily, would have at least kept the gate open. For now, we have to cope with gate open, gate shut. Please explain to me - how does this build market presence with your most important fliers? I am skeptical we will see this one cut the slice of the cake they are looking for unless they take the plunge. A year round service would be the bottom line for that. But good luck to them anyway.


These are some really good points. The optimistic view is that, given that this JV is just getting off the ground, this is just the beginning and that more will come over the following years. I too expected AA to go year-round (sub-daily in northern summer) to AKL and I still expect that we'll see that in the future. For now, those from NZ will need to go through Australia, which, though not ideal, is at least something. Coupled with the increased QF codesharing and QF's new ORD flight that means that most of the US will be one-stop from NZ during the northern winter and two stops during the northern summer. Again, not ideal, but better than nothing. Hopefully as the JV matures more options will open up, including year-round AKL and expanded AU service on AA metal.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:57 pm

wenders825 wrote:
CHC is massive. wow. definitely rumored that this was required for the JV to get approved

really surprised LAX-AKL can't sustain year round


Give it time UA’s SFO-AKL just went year around this year 3x weekly 77E from April through October. From November through March the flight is daily it use to be on a 77W but starting this year it will be on a 78J. It just takes time for a route to mature to the point where year around service cant be sustained profitably.

It is interesting to see both OneWorld and Star add all this capacity between the US and the South Pacific. It will be interesting to see if the region can sustain the increase capacity from the US or what impact the additional capacity will have on trunk routes like the US-SYD routes. QF/AA and NZ/UA have been busy these past few months and years fingers crossed everything works out for both alliances.
 
747megatop
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:10 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Awesome and bold- well done AA!! Little stunned myself, whilst seasonal - that’s big I feel.

EWR,DFW, and LAX-CHC! Big increase in NZ-US capacity. I doubt NZ will stay 14weekly to LAX.

Ishrion wrote:
Awesome news... rather interesting nothing on Australia yet.


Agreed, still nothing for MEL-LAX! Surprises me. Makes me think it would be year round but they don’t have the frames, or peak MEL slots, but could be wrong/optimistic! We will see!


Ishrion wrote:
Perfect timing for an announcement also... AA's LAX-AKL just relaunched last night.

Also highlighted in the release: "Qantas will also increase from six weekly flights between Sydney, Australia (SYD), and DFW to daily service by mid-2020"


Curious indeed. A380, or 789 where is the frame coming from? Maybe once the re-config is finished.

Well, wouldn't LAX-MEL compete against UA's LAX-MEL? That's probably why AA didn't launch that route.
 
Detroit313
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:20 pm

With more 787-8 and 787-9 arriving in the next few years, more will be possible.
 
JonNYC
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:33 pm

Hard to believe anyone would seriously suggest that CHC isn't pretty radical/novel.

In fact, from the time I first posted the rumor, in August, not only did -I- not fully believe it (I even sat on it for a week as it made zero sense to me), but, have an inbox full of folks-- folks that actually know what they are talking about in the arena-- telling me they thought it was too far-fetched and I had been misled, etc., etc.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 pm

JonNYC wrote:
Hard to believe anyone would seriously suggest that CHC isn't pretty radical/novel.

In fact, from the time I first posted the rumor, in August, not only did -I- not fully believe it (I even sat on it for a week as it made zero sense to me), but, have an inbox full of folks-- folks that actually know what they are talking about in the arena-- telling me they thought it was too far-fetched and I had been misled, etc., etc.


Given the poster who claimed that, its only novel/radical/a good idea if DL does it.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
Motorhussy
Posts: 3673
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:49 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Great news for New Zealand tourism. A fantastic endorsement of the country by AA.
come visit the south pacific
 
Detroit313
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:02 pm

If anything, it is Delta that doesn't do anything radical and out of the box. There are many countries and cities that AA serves that Delta doesn't fly to. Hong Kong, Auckland, Christchurch, Hungary, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, tons of cities in Central and Latin America etc. and the list has been growing rapidly.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5247
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:06 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
If anything, it is Delta that doesn't do anything radical and out of the box. There are many countries and cities that AA serves that Delta doesn't fly to. Hong Kong, Auckland, Christchurch, Hungary, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, tons of cities in Central and Latin America etc. and the list has been growing rapidly.



Delta is too busy being Boston's number 1 global airline to do any out of the box thinking they have tunnel vision aimed at JetBlue.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Posts: 1549
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
If anything, it is Delta that doesn't do anything radical and out of the box. There are many countries and cities that AA serves that Delta doesn't fly to. Hong Kong, Auckland, Christchurch, Hungary, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, tons of cities in Central and Latin America etc. and the list has been growing rapidly.


You have to wonder if AA is flying to those places because they’re insufficiently covered by partners, with the exception of HKG. Note that the expansions are not to places dominated by LH carriers or AF/KL.
 
QF742
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 pm

This is great news for New Zealand but not great for NZ! I was a bit surprised at first that there was no Australia component of AA’s announcement, but after thinking about it a bit more this is all about the now powerful QF/AA JV to put pressure on NZ. NZ obviously have a huge US network, great brand recognition in Australia and are a major competitor for QF across the pacific. It will be interesting to see how QF/AA go in competing against NZ on their home turf.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5247
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:47 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
If anything, it is Delta that doesn't do anything radical and out of the box. There are many countries and cities that AA serves that Delta doesn't fly to. Hong Kong, Auckland, Christchurch, Hungary, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, tons of cities in Central and Latin America etc. and the list has been growing rapidly.


You have to wonder if AA is flying to those places because they’re insufficiently covered by partners, with the exception of HKG. Note that the expansions are not to places dominated by LH carriers or AF/KL.



I think AA has pretty good coverage with BA out of London.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Posts: 1549
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:09 pm

klm617 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
If anything, it is Delta that doesn't do anything radical and out of the box. There are many countries and cities that AA serves that Delta doesn't fly to. Hong Kong, Auckland, Christchurch, Hungary, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, tons of cities in Central and Latin America etc. and the list has been growing rapidly.


You have to wonder if AA is flying to those places because they’re insufficiently covered by partners, with the exception of HKG. Note that the expansions are not to places dominated by LH carriers or AF/KL.



I think AA has pretty good coverage with BA out of London.


Many places that AA will be serving either have limited or no service to LHR, such as DBV and CMN. Even WAW only sees a couple of flights a day to LHR. In order to increase TATL revenue, AA needs to expand, and it may not be worth asking BA for slots if they have the airframes to do it themselves.
 
Sydscott
Posts: 3513
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:50 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
If anything, it is Delta that doesn't do anything radical and out of the box. There are many countries and cities that AA serves that Delta doesn't fly to. Hong Kong, Auckland, Christchurch, Hungary, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, tons of cities in Central and Latin America etc. and the list has been growing rapidly.


You have to wonder if AA is flying to those places because they’re insufficiently covered by partners, with the exception of HKG. Note that the expansions are not to places dominated by LH carriers or AF/KL.


They are likely flying to these places because they have a J/V with a Partner who already has significant knowledge of the market, a very strong brand presence and a large base of Frequent Flyers. What I find really interesting is that QF also has a domestic codeshare with NZ. So feasibly, if you were to select a QF flight number, you could conceivably fly NZ domestically to meet your AA flight. LOL Such is the position of all of the arrangements down here.

But good on AA for this. I predicted DFW-AKL so am happy that is slotted in. Now we need DFW-MEL from QF once they decide to order more 789's.
 
Pbb152
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2000 2:57 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:35 pm

JonNYC wrote:
Hard to believe anyone would seriously suggest that CHC isn't pretty radical/novel.

In fact, from the time I first posted the rumor, in August, not only did -I- not fully believe it (I even sat on it for a week as it made zero sense to me), but, have an inbox full of folks-- folks that actually know what they are talking about in the arena-- telling me they thought it was too far-fetched and I had been misled, etc., etc.


Don’t pay any attention to the poster who said that. He is a troll, and desperately in need of attention. Maybe you can go give him a hug since he is supposedly in NYC too. He needs it.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 pm

NZ321 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Meanwhile, Delta doesn't fly to New Zealand AT ALL.

Not that that's bad or matters, but if the opposite was the case this forum would be dragging AA constantly about it.


NZ can't support four US airlines on top of NZ. Doesn't work. DL had the opportunity and chose to pass on this one like they have on many trans-Pacific opportunities. They seem shy of ultra long haul flying. It's sad. I am not sure why? I think there might have been an opportunity for ATL-AKL-SYD or ATL-AKL-MEL. But I guess they were shy of the yields across the Tasman and perhaps their tie up with Virgin Australia isn't as strong as one might wish for. Wishful thinking.


NZ theoretically shouldn't have been able to support three US airlines flying there but look at it now. I'm sure if DL entered it would be less than daily and only seasonally.

Whoever enters WLG-LAX first will be smart. With a similar strategy as CHC and only 2-3x weekly seasonally they'd be sure to print money. Having been to both CHC and WLG there's so much more to see and and do around WLG than CHC after the earthquake, especially with the Marlborough wine region just across the Cook straight from WLG. WLG is an absolutely beautiful city and the 788 the perfect plane to fly there.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7536
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:48 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Meanwhile, Delta doesn't fly to New Zealand AT ALL.

Not that that's bad or matters, but if the opposite was the case this forum would be dragging AA constantly about it.


NZ can't support four US airlines on top of NZ. Doesn't work. DL had the opportunity and chose to pass on this one like they have on many trans-Pacific opportunities. They seem shy of ultra long haul flying. It's sad. I am not sure why? I think there might have been an opportunity for ATL-AKL-SYD or ATL-AKL-MEL. But I guess they were shy of the yields across the Tasman and perhaps their tie up with Virgin Australia isn't as strong as one might wish for. Wishful thinking.


NZ theoretically shouldn't have been able to support three US airlines flying there but look at it now. I'm sure if DL entered it would be less than daily and only seasonally.

Whoever enters WLG-LAX first will be smart. With a similar strategy as CHC and only 2-3x weekly seasonally they'd be sure to print money. Having been to both CHC and WLG there's so much more to see and and do around WLG than CHC after the earthquake, especially with the Marlborough wine region just across the Cook straight from WLG. WLG is an absolutely beautiful city and the 788 the perfect plane to fly there.


Is that the 788 with floaters?

This is great news and while not to surprising as it has been speculated for some time it is great to see it actually happen.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:55 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

NZ can't support four US airlines on top of NZ. Doesn't work. DL had the opportunity and chose to pass on this one like they have on many trans-Pacific opportunities. They seem shy of ultra long haul flying. It's sad. I am not sure why? I think there might have been an opportunity for ATL-AKL-SYD or ATL-AKL-MEL. But I guess they were shy of the yields across the Tasman and perhaps their tie up with Virgin Australia isn't as strong as one might wish for. Wishful thinking.


NZ theoretically shouldn't have been able to support three US airlines flying there but look at it now. I'm sure if DL entered it would be less than daily and only seasonally.

Whoever enters WLG-LAX first will be smart. With a similar strategy as CHC and only 2-3x weekly seasonally they'd be sure to print money. Having been to both CHC and WLG there's so much more to see and and do around WLG than CHC after the earthquake, especially with the Marlborough wine region just across the Cook straight from WLG. WLG is an absolutely beautiful city and the 788 the perfect plane to fly there.


Is that the 788 with floaters?


What does that even mean?
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:
Meanwhile, Delta doesn't fly to New Zealand AT ALL.

Not that that's bad or matters, but if the opposite was the case this forum would be dragging AA constantly about it.


NZ can't support four US airlines on top of NZ. Doesn't work. DL had the opportunity and chose to pass on this one like they have on many trans-Pacific opportunities. They seem shy of ultra long haul flying. It's sad. I am not sure why? I think there might have been an opportunity for ATL-AKL-SYD or ATL-AKL-MEL. But I guess they were shy of the yields across the Tasman and perhaps their tie up with Virgin Australia isn't as strong as one might wish for. Wishful thinking.


NZ theoretically shouldn't have been able to support three US airlines flying there but look at it now. I'm sure if DL entered it would be less than daily and only seasonally.

Whoever enters WLG-LAX first will be smart. With a similar strategy as CHC and only 2-3x weekly seasonally they'd be sure to print money. Having been to both CHC and WLG there's so much more to see and and do around WLG than CHC after the earthquake, especially with the Marlborough wine region just across the Cook straight from WLG. WLG is an absolutely beautiful city and the 788 the perfect plane to fly there.


Does WLG have a long enough runway to handle transpacific flights?
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: American to start DFW-AKL, LAX-CHC October 2020

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:00 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

NZ can't support four US airlines on top of NZ. Doesn't work. DL had the opportunity and chose to pass on this one like they have on many trans-Pacific opportunities. They seem shy of ultra long haul flying. It's sad. I am not sure why? I think there might have been an opportunity for ATL-AKL-SYD or ATL-AKL-MEL. But I guess they were shy of the yields across the Tasman and perhaps their tie up with Virgin Australia isn't as strong as one might wish for. Wishful thinking.


NZ theoretically shouldn't have been able to support three US airlines flying there but look at it now. I'm sure if DL entered it would be less than daily and only seasonally.

Whoever enters WLG-LAX first will be smart. With a similar strategy as CHC and only 2-3x weekly seasonally they'd be sure to print money. Having been to both CHC and WLG there's so much more to see and and do around WLG than CHC after the earthquake, especially with the Marlborough wine region just across the Cook straight from WLG. WLG is an absolutely beautiful city and the 788 the perfect plane to fly there.


Does WLG have a long enough runway to handle transpacific flights?


That's a good question and one I admittedly hadn't thought of. Perhaps that's why they don't have any TPAC flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos