Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SteelChair
Topic Author

PW1100G geared turbofan accessory gearbox airworthiness directive

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Seemingly lost among the hype from the Swiss self imposed grounding, I missed that an airworthiness directive was published that requires replacement of the gearbox.

This appears to be a major hit to PW. They claimed the gearbox was designed for the life of the engine. They said they spent 20 years developing this gearbox and that it was bulletproof. In my opinion, a lot of the problems that the GTF has had to this point have been secondary or tertiary. This seems to me to be a major issue and I'm wondering why there hasn't been any conversation about it or more concern focused upon itm

It appears that this AD affects only the GTF version powering the A320 series.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 0g-461267/
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

ikramerica

Re: Geared turbofan gearbox airworthiness directive

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I remember over a decade back there were discussions on a.net about GTF and the major stumbling block everyone mentioned was the longevity and reliability of the gearbox.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

lightsaber

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Please read the article. This is the accessory gearbox. Not the gearbox driving the fan. Issues with accessory gearboxes plague many engines.

Pratt & Whitney says in a statement that it is working in coordination with Airbus, the regulatory authorities and airline customers “to incorporate upgrades improving the reliability of the accessory gearbox in the PW1100G-JM fleet.”

Lightsaber

late edit: It is the main gearbox for most engines. It just isn't the big gearbox. It is a case where industry jargon is out of date for the GTF.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

SteelChair
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:17 pm

The article is very confusingly worded in my opinion. The writer of the article says main gearbox, which leads one to believe they are referring to the fan drive gear. The PW rep says "accessory gearbox."

At any rate, I stand corrected. But it is another disappointment in this engine.

Elementalism

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:20 pm

I believe we call this teething issues. Sucks though.

Finn350

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:21 pm

Here is a link to the proposed AD:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0614-0001

The problem seems to stem from an integrated drive generator (IDG) oil pump drive gearshaft assembly P/N 5322630-01 within the main gearbox (MGB).

Erebus

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:40 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Please read the article. This is the accessory gearbox. Not the gearbox driving the fan. Issues with accessory gearboxes plague many engines.

Pratt & Whitney says in a statement that it is working in coordination with Airbus, the regulatory authorities and airline customers “to incorporate upgrades improving the reliability of the accessory gearbox in the PW1100G-JM fleet.”

Lightsaber

late edit: It is the main gearbox for most engines. It just isn't the big gearbox. It is a case where industry jargon is out of date for the GTF.

Could we have a correction in the thread title to clarify this?

SteelChair
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Erebus wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Why? Is there not a gearbox problem on the GTF engine?

Finn350

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:52 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Erebus wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Yes, but "Geared turbofan accessory gearbox airworthiness directive" would be less confusing, as everybody thinks that the problem is with the geared turbofan. Technically "accessory gearbox" is called "main gearbox" which creates further confusion.

Erebus

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Erebus wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

There are multiple gearboxes here. Would be nice to specify which one exactly.

WayexTDI

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Elementalism wrote:
I believe we call this teething issues. Sucks though.

Maybe literally if the gear teeth break down...

N212R

Re: Geared turbofan auxiliary gearbox airworthiness directive

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Seemingly lost among the hype from the Swiss self imposed grounding, I missed that an airworthiness directive was published that requires replacement of the gearbox.

This appears to be a major hit to PW. They claimed the gearbox was designed for the life of the engine. They said they spent 20 years developing this gearbox and that it was bulletproof. In my opinion, a lot of the problems that the GTF has had to this point have been secondary or tertiary. This seems to me to be a major issue and I'm wondering why there hasn't been any conversation about it or more concern focused upon itm

It appears that this AD affects only the GTF version powering the A320 series.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 0g-461267/

There is LOST and then there is intentionally buried....you be the judge.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos