Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maps4ltd
Topic Author

DEN Weather

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm

What are the weather conditions in Denver causing all the cancellations? Is it simply de-icing delays, because there have been no holding patterns?
Any on-the-ground info would be appreciated, thanks.
Delta Gold Medallion

piedmontf284000

Re: DEN Weather

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:00 pm

It's more of a preemptive measure then anything. Concerns about crews timing out and equipment issues leading to lengthy delays are the leading reasons for the advanced Cancelations. The total number of delays so far at DIA is now 347 and the total number of cancellations is 486 as of 11 a.m. Local time. With six to twelve inches expected and the worst still yet to come, it will only get worse at DIA. Schools and businesses are closing early and sending everyone home.

maps4ltd
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:02 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
It's more of a preemptive measure then anything. Concerns about crews timing out and equipment issues leading to lengthy delays are the leading reasons for the advanced Cancelations. The total number of delays so far at DIA is now 347 and the total number of cancellations is 486 as of 11 a.m. Local time. With six to twelve inches expected and the worst still yet to come, it will only get worse at DIA. Schools and businesses are closing early and sending everyone home.

So as to not repeat the 2006 snowstorms? Seems like a good precaution. What interests me most are the flights that aren't cancelled, though.
Delta Gold Medallion

airbazar

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm

I'm old enough to remember when this airport was built and billed as an airport that would never be affected by winter weather. My, how times have changed.

jetmatt777

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:41 pm

airbazar wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when this airport was built and billed as an airport that would never be affected by winter weather. My, how times have changed.

Anymore all it takes is a cloud within 15 miles of the airport or a westerly breeze to send it into complete chaos.

globalflyer

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 pm

We had a heavy snowfall this morning. It is supposed to return later this afternoon into the overnight hours. Winds are high too. Even schools are releasing early... so you know it is going to be bad!
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

SocalApproach

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Slightly off topic but Does anyone know if the ramp is heated? I noticed a considerable amount of steam emitting from the ramp when I was waiting for my F9 flight. The snow had stopped and the sun was out at the time but it was still below 30 degrees outside

Spacepope

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
Slightly off topic but Does anyone know if the ramp is heated? I noticed a considerable amount of steam emitting from the ramp when I was waiting for my F9 flight. The snow had stopped and the sun was out at the time but it was still below 30 degrees outside

That happens all the time here in Colorado. A little sun won't heat the air but sure as heck heats concrete and blacktop.
The last of the famous international playboys

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:59 pm

airbazar wrote:

All-weather from an airfield standpoint, but it just changed what used to be the limitations of runway capacity in low visibility / weather to other aspects of airport operations, namely anything involving the constraints of money and/or labor availability.

Basically, throughput of de-icing operations, road conditions impacting ability for employees & passengers to get to/from airport, ramp and taxiway snow removal operations (usually the biggest factor), and ability for ground service operations to work safely and effectively in poor weather on the ramp.

AWACSooner

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Anymore all it takes is a cloud within 15 miles of the airport or a westerly breeze to send it into complete chaos.

Same with DFW when there’s a thunderstorm within 500 miles

DEN1895

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 pm

The number one reason for increased delays and cancellations is dependent on how long the runways can go between cleanings. Yesterday the snow storm required one runway on each side to be closed for cleaning and then the snow crew would switch to the other runway after they have finished plowing. This left the airport with one active arrival and one active departure runway, departures are always on the West and arrivals mostly on the East. The standard arrival rate with all 6 runways is 114 aircraft per hour, yesterday the airport dropped to 28 per hour. If the storm is not as bad and the runways do not require constant cleaning the rate usually stays around 48.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos