Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HunterATL
Topic Author

Delta opens Concourse G at LGA

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Delta opened Concourse G at LGA today as part of the construction of its new combined terminal facility. The concourse has contact gates for seven 737-900ER/A321 size aircraft. The next phase of development will be the demolition of the original Eastern Shuttle terminal and the opening of the new head house.

https://news.delta.com/delta-s-first-ne ... rt-rebuild

Sightseer

Re: Delta opens Concourse G at LGA

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 pm

LGA is slowly turning into a pretty decent airport. I flew through the new wing of the CTB last month (gates C42-C59), and the airside experience was quite nice. Of course, landside it was as old and cramped as always.

bpat777

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Sightseer wrote:
LGA is slowly turning into a pretty decent airport. I flew through the new wing of the CTB last month (gates C42-C59), and the airside experience was quite nice. Of course, landside it was as old and cramped as always.

The new CTB Landside will finally open next summer

TheZ

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:28 pm

Great to see the efforts to improve LGA reaching a milestone. I can't wait to see it when it's all done!
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

ODwyerPW

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:38 pm

I watched the Video... the port authority dude is calling the LGA rebuild, the new LGA airport, 'the first new airport built in the USA in 25 years'......

Guess he forgot about Williston that just opened up two weeks ago?

That said, it's nice to see LGA progressing.
learning never stops.

ScottB

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
I watched the Video... the port authority dude is calling the LGA rebuild, the new LGA airport, 'the first new airport built in the USA in 25 years'......

Not to mention MSY's new terminal and SGU. And the new AUS opened 20 years ago. LGA is only getting new terminals. The airfield will be the same piece of crap it has been for decades.

spacecadet

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:06 pm

Aaand it only took 6 posts for people to become outraged at a new airport terminal opening on a site dedicated to aviation.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Cactusjuba

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:31 pm

ScottB wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

Not to mention MSY's new terminal and SGU. And the new AUS opened 20 years ago. LGA is only getting new terminals. The airfield will be the same piece of crap it has been for decades.

And if we’re soley going off 100% new concourse/terminal.. like you said MSY and soon to be SLC.

Anybody know the future milestones or timelines for LGA construction? What’s next?

HunterATL
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 pm

[/img]
Cactusjuba wrote:
ScottB wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

And if we’re soley going off 100% new concourse/terminal.. like you said MSY and soon to be SLC.

Anybody know the future milestones or timelines for LGA construction? What’s next?

I do not know the timeline for the new B terminal, but Delta prepared a slide a few years ago for its construction schedule.

HunterATL
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
ScottB wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

I suspect the original Eastern Shuttle terminal will be demolished fairly soon because, apparently, Delta is no longer including it in maps of its facilities at LGA:

DL717

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:

Someone ought to maybe mention to that yahoo from PANYNJ that it’s a new Terminal, not a new airport.

Just sayin’.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

HPAEAA

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:54 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:

They’ve been pretty quiet on the dates, but I believe the new Central building for Terminal B is opening next year, which will enable the removal of the current landslide building. The last phase of B will be building the 2nd pier of gates (which has already started) to replace the C & D concourses which currently house AAs operation supposedly in 2021.

I really would like to see what the plan for that will be, given the current situation there, I don’t know how AA is going to continue its current operation while freeing up enough land to complete the build of the new gate building...

Source for more info: https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/07/la-gua ... adway.html
1.4mm and counting...

atlflyer

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:55 pm

DL717 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

Someone ought to maybe mention to that yahoo from PANYNJ that it’s a new Terminal, not a new airport.

Just sayin’.

He’s talking about when the entire airport construction is complete. Not today.

DL717

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:09 am

atlflyer wrote:
DL717 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

Just sayin’.

Wasn’t aware there wasn’t a La Guardia airport before.

It’s a terminal, not a new airport.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

spinotter

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:18 am

spacecadet wrote:
Aaand it only took 6 posts for people to become outraged at a new airport terminal opening on a site dedicated to aviation.

No, outraged at a factually incorrect statement about LaGuardia. "the port authority dude is calling the LGA rebuild, the new LGA airport, 'the first new airport built in the USA in 25 years."

spinotter

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 am

atlflyer wrote:
DL717 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

Just sayin’.

It will never be a new airport.

aemoreira1981

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:22 am

The Port Authority controls Terminal B (and the landmarked Terminal A), but Delta's control of much of the remainder of the gates (aside from the landmarked Terminal A of which JetBlue has exclusive use) is key here, as they don't want overruns. That may be what is key.

HVNandrew

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:24 am

It looks nice, good for DL.

I will say though, I'm going to miss the new part of the current Terminal C (the old US Airways terminal). I find it very bright and I have always liked the vibe in there. It's also in far better shape than any of the pre-rebuild LGA terminals. I'm not sure why it has to go, maybe strategically to aid in the rest of the rebuild? It's not really that old.

jfern022

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:51 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The Port Authority controls Terminal B (and the landmarked Terminal A), but Delta's control of much of the remainder of the gates (aside from the landmarked Terminal A of which JetBlue has exclusive use) is key here, as they don't want overruns. That may be what is key.

Delta’s project isn’t as subjected to the typical PA pork.

HunterATL
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 am

HVNandrew wrote:

I will say though, I'm going to miss the new part of the current Terminal C (the old US Airways terminal). I find it very bright and I have always liked the vibe in there. It's also in far better shape than any of the pre-rebuild LGA terminals. I'm not sure why it has to go, maybe strategically to aid in the rest of the rebuild? It's not really that old.

A few reasons:

1. With the new head house, there is no need for ticketing, baggage claim, and security so it makes sense to remove the west concourse of Terminal C and the present roadways will be removed.

2. Keeping the present facility would reduce the total number of contact gates.

3. The new Concourse D will actually be built about 40 to 50 feet further west than the present concourse to allow for dual taxiways between the new D and E. Figures 1-2, 1-4, and 1-5 in the draft environmental assessment will give you a good idea of where the new concourses will be built relative to the present facility and how the new dual taxi ways will work: http://www.panynj.gov/about/pdf/Draft-E ... 17rev3.pdf. Dual taxi ways are one of the biggest reasons for this rebuild.

SuseJ772

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 am

Not to mention ICT. While not a new airport, everything but the runways and taxiways are new.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

KMCOFlyer

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:21 am

HVNandrew wrote:

That part of Terminal C will actually be the last to be demolished in 2023 according to the timeline above, so you still have a few more years to enjoy it.

mikegigs

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:09 pm

New concourse looks great! Are there plans to continue to use the names "Terminal A" (Marine Air Terminal), "Terminal B" (CTB), and "Terminal C" (Delta terminal)? I think it might be confusing to have Concourse C in Terminal B, while there's a separate Terminal C - or to say "Your flight departs out of Terminal C, Concourse D, Gate 12". Might they change the terminal names to numbered ones?

Additionally (kind of off topic), are there any plans to do anything with Terminal A? On the project website for the LGA redevelopment, some illustrations show new builds over in that area. Does B6 have any plans to move into one of the new terminals? If not, there'd be a glaring service difference between Terminal A and any of the new concourses.
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:44 pm

mikegigs wrote:
New concourse looks great! Are there plans to continue to use the names "Terminal A" (Marine Air Terminal), "Terminal B" (CTB), and "Terminal C" (Delta terminal)? I think it might be confusing to have Concourse C in Terminal B, while there's a separate Terminal C - or to say "Your flight departs out of Terminal C, Concourse D, Gate 12". Might they change the terminal names to numbered ones?

There will probably be a comprehensive renaming/new signage at some point. There are established terminal/concourse naming conventions. A few Av-geek locals may know DTW's McNamara and New North terminals but people looking for gate assignments on DL/UA/AA.com or FlightStats just see concourses A/B/C and D. (Is there a Concourse I at any major U.S. airport?)

drdisque

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:24 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

There will probably be a comprehensive renaming/new signage at some point. There are established terminal/concourse naming conventions. A few Av-geek locals may know DTW's McNamara and New North terminals but people looking for gate assignments on DL/UA/AA.com or FlightStats just see concourses A/B/C and D. (Is there a Concourse I at any major U.S. airport?)

ORD skips I (and J for some reason) in their concourses, they use B, C, E, F, G, H, K, L, and M for their concourses. D is skipped to allow for an interim addition between T1 and T2 (I believe the new midfield gates are supposed to be D-gates) and A is skipped to allow for [a somewhat implausible] temporary terminal East of Terminal 1 (there may have been such a temporary facility using A gates at some point).

I suppose J may have been skipped because AA liked how H and K could easily be deciphered verbally while J and K sound somewhat familiar. Skipping J also opens the opportunity to use J during the O'Hare21 construction for interim gates.

Back to LaGuadia, I imagine that when the program is complete, the MAT may be renamed Terminal 1, the new CTB will be renamed Terminal 2, and the new Delta Terminal will be renamed Terminal 3.

dtremit

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm

drdisque wrote:
ORD skips I (and J for some reason) in their concourses, they use B, C, E, F, G, H, K, L, and M for their concourses. D is skipped to allow for an interim addition between T1 and T2 (I believe the new midfield gates are supposed to be D-gates) and A is skipped to allow for [a somewhat implausible] temporary terminal East of Terminal 1 (there may have been such a temporary facility using A gates at some point).

I suppose J may have been skipped because AA liked how H and K could easily be deciphered verbally while J and K sound somewhat familiar. Skipping J also opens the opportunity to use J during the O'Hare21 construction for interim gates.

I think "I" is too easily confused with "1" -- risky if there's a T1. MIA also jumps from H to J.

nycbjr

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:37 pm

What is the old Eastern Shuttle terminal? Is it part of terminal C currently? The middle bit that has like 2 gates?

ScottB

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:01 pm

HunterATL wrote:
I suspect the original Eastern Shuttle terminal will be demolished fairly soon because, apparently, Delta is no longer including it in maps of its facilities at LGA:

You're probably correct, but the departures board above the map shows flights leaving from gates which are no longer depicted on that map. Oops.

nycbjr wrote:
What is the old Eastern Shuttle terminal? Is it part of terminal C currently?

It's (appropriately) the eastern concourse of Terminal C -- gates C12 to C24 (C12-C14 are bus gates on the ground level). I'm not sure if they're also going to take down the landside as part of this phase.

mikegigs wrote:

From the signage on the new CTB gates, as well as the Concourse G gates, I think they plan to drop the concourse prefixes on gates and simply refer to gates by number. You may notice that the Concourse G gates are merely Gates 92-98 and not Gates G92-G98.

It was really, really bad while AA was still using the old US gates in Terminal C. The old Delta/Northwest Terminal gates are D1-D11, and AA had gates D1-D10 in the CTB. So the gate numbers were duplicated in two separate terminals, and the seemingly logical choice of proceeding to a gate like D5 in the same terminal would be completely wrong if connecting from an AA flight arriving in Terminal C. Not to mention that AA also used part of Concourse C and while the numbers fortunately weren't duplicated, the various C gates weren't connected aside from via an airside bus.

HPAEAA wrote:
I really would like to see what the plan for that will be, given the current situation there, I don’t know how AA is going to continue its current operation while freeing up enough land to complete the build of the new gate building...

It's not that complicated really. Taking down old Concourse B allows for construction of the section of new Concourse B which is perpendicular to the terminal headhouse. Once they're ready to open the gates on the east side and end of that section, old Concourse C can be closed and demolished, and the remainder of the new concourse can be completed. Once that's done, AA consolidates in the new facility and the demolition of old Concourse D probably allows a few gates in the new gate building to open.

FSDan

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 pm

HunterATL wrote:

If the 7 new gates that just opened can handle 739/321 size aircraft, the above reconstruction diagram makes it look like a decent number of the new gates to open in the next two phases will be widebody capable. Maybe DL is building in hopes that LGA may one day be opened up to transcons?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

nycbjr

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:07 pm

ScottB wrote:

nycbjr wrote:

It's (appropriately) the eastern concourse of Terminal C -- gates C12 to C24 (C12-C14 are bus gates on the ground level). I'm not sure if they're also going to take down the landside as part of this phase.

Thanks for this, I could have just googled which I did finally.. I was confused thought concourse G was part of the current terminal D (figuring they could build at the far end).

I'm flying to STL at thanksgiving, I look forward to checking it out, flying out on a CRJ9 but back on an A319 so maybe I'll get the new gate!

HunterATL
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:12 pm

FSDan wrote:
HunterATL wrote:

If the 7 new gates that just opened can handle 739/321 size aircraft, the above reconstruction diagram makes it look like a decent number of the new gates to open in the next two phases will be widebody capable. Maybe DL is building in hopes that LGA may one day be opened up to transcons?

None of the gates in the new terminal can handle existing widebodies. 27 of the gates can handle upto 737-900/A321 aircraft (ADG III), and the remaining 10 can handle upto 757-200 size planes (ADG IIIa). Although there will be no contact gates for widebodies, every gate will be able to handle mainline aircraft which is a significant improvement over the present situation in which most gates are limited to small mainline planes or regional jets, which significantly complicates scheduling. In the event that the perimeter rule is relaxed, west coast flights would be operated on narrowbodies.

HunterATL
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:14 pm

nycbjr wrote:
ScottB wrote:

nycbjr wrote:

Thanks for this, I could have just googled which I did finally.. I was confused thought concourse G was part of the current terminal D (figuring they could build at the far end).

I'm flying to STL at thanksgiving, I look forward to checking it out, flying out on a CRJ9 but back on an A319 so maybe I'll get the new gate!

Unfortunately, Concourse G is exclusively for Delta Shuttle flights at the moment according to The Points Guy.

flybaby

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:23 pm

ScottB wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

ECP also opened less than 10 years ago.

EMB170

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm

drdisque wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

I always wondered this and actually had to look it up. When ORD was built into roughly what it is today back in the '50s and '60s, concourse A was a long, single pier that functioned first as temporary gates, and then later was torn down and rebuilt as the original international terminal/FIS prior to the opening of T5. Basically think of the original ORD A (and ORD D, for that matter) as exactly like ORD G prior to Eagle/Envoy gutting and redoing it.

ORD B/C were a joint, Y-shaped pier extending from the center of T1 much like current ORD E/F extends from T2 and ORD H/K extends from T3. ORD D, as I mentioned above, was a long, single pier in between T1 and T2 much how ORD G is between T2 and T3.

Fast forward to the '80s: ORD wants to expand, and UA wants to renovate their hub. ORD moves most international flights to hardstands and creates a temporary terminal for check-in/bag claim/FIS in a makeshift "T4" that is now part of a hotel, IIRC while it builds T5 (ORD M) from the ground up as a new terminal. UA knocks down concourses A-B-C-D and re-arranges a new "ORD B" that is parallel to the departures roadway that has 22 gates. It then creates a midfield "ORD C" that contains another 32-ish? gates.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

ODwyerPW

Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:53 pm

spinotter wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

No, outraged at a factually incorrect statement about LaGuardia. "the port authority dude is calling the LGA rebuild, the new LGA airport, 'the first new airport built in the USA in 25 years."

My comment was far from outrage.... Just disappointed a spokesman for LaGuardia would completely overlook the fine, entirely new airport (airfield, terminal, support facilities, parking and road) that was just completed in Williston ND; On Time (sans the child play area carpet) and On Budget.. While the work involved in LaGuardia's $8bil project dwarfs the WillisontBasin $264mil project, it was still a mis- characterization.

Again, that said, I am happy that work at LaGuardia is progressing. It will be an impressive airport remodel when finished.
learning never stops.

ScottB

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 pm

HunterATL wrote:
Unfortunately, Concourse G is exclusively for Delta Shuttle flights at the moment according to The Points Guy.

I'm not even sure that's true yet. I don't see any flights departing Concourse G, Shuttle or not.

HunterATL
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:35 pm

ScottB wrote:
HunterATL wrote:

I'm not even sure that's true yet. I don't see any flights departing Concourse G, Shuttle or not.

Apparently, a limited number of flights will begin using the concourse next week followed by the relocation of the shuttle operation to the facility on November 16,

FlyGuy27

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 am

HunterATL wrote:
ScottB wrote:
HunterATL wrote:

Apparently, a limited number of flights will begin using the concourse next week followed by the relocation of the shuttle operation to the facility on November 16,

I don't doubt your source, but why would DL put the Shuttle flights in the concourse furthest from the curb? Their current setup is ideal - get through TSA Pre (and Clear, if applicable), swing by the SkyClub, and walk down the ramp of the west concourse of Terminal C to the gates.

Are they opening a new SkyClub in G?

ScottB

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:55 pm

I went through DL's terminals at LGA today. Concourse G is seeing more usage and it's a fairly nice facility, although it is quite a long hike through a narrow temporary walkway from the rest of the terminal. They'd be stupid to move the Shuttle flights over -- those gates are inconvenient and have poor access to the Sky Club. They're still using the old Eastern Shuttle gates for now.

N649DL

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:23 pm

HVNandrew wrote:

Yeah not understanding that call either. The terminal next to it (I think D) with the brown tiling makes it feel like a true Greyhound Bus Terminal.

Fun fact about the ex-US terminal, it was intended to be built for Eastern and then ended up in the hands of CO briefly and then US. I remember using the US club back in 1999 flying to MCO and I thought it was quite nice for the time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos