Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 12
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:30 am

Re ABX I think it's a turboprop route. I don't know the CASK difference between an ATR72/Q400 and the small jets but I assume they're lower. I suspect that QF and VA have more profitable routes to put them on however. I think REX could have a win there though if they were to have a plane that could do it (Saab 2000 maybe), though I don't see them going out and buying any additional frames.

Re QF and HND, I'm wondering if Qantas is waiting to see what others do before making their announcement.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:56 am

moa999 wrote:
Depends on JL.
You certainly wouldn't want NH, JL and QF all adding to SYD.


JL is more likely to shift their current NRT/SYD flight to HND than increasing services.
 
Morrofinch
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:17 am

EK413 wrote:
According to another discussion thread NH will go double daily HND-SYD.

The 2nd flight will be an evening arrival and overnight with a midday departure which is subject to change.

If this has already been discussed please delete

Cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


ANA seems to expanding at an ever increasing rate so this would make sense. Looking at some of the ANA sales over the past few months, I am guessing they also want to try and act as a hub for Aussies travelling to Europe.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:22 am

Wasn’t QF exploring the option to operate the A380 on SYD-HND? (I know A380 Ops to HND are not permitted only NRT)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Fuling
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:44 am

EK413 wrote:
Wasn’t QF exploring the option to operate the A380 on SYD-HND? (I know A380 Ops to HND are not permitted only NRT)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Actually I think HND A380 ops are permitted, but with very strict (and uneconomical) conditions like times and taxiways/runway usage.
 
chewybacca
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:55 am

Fuling wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Wasn’t QF exploring the option to operate the A380 on SYD-HND? (I know A380 Ops to HND are not permitted only NRT)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Actually I think HND A380 ops are permitted, but with very strict (and uneconomical) conditions like times and taxiways/runway usage.

Also, and this was mentioned previously, if somehow HND made an exception for QF to operate their A380 given HND’s strict regulations, then NH and EK would also want the same for their A380 ops. Hence QF would probably downgauge to 787/A330 over time if they went double daily to SYD and wanted to accelerate 747 retirements.

If IASC / ACCC allowed JL and QF to codeshare their HND services then QF may be able to avoid going double daily, but wouldn’t that necessitate another round of approvals and submissions?
 
qf002
Posts: 3684
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 am

moa999 wrote:
Depends on JL.
You certainly wouldn't want NH, JL and QF all adding to SYD.


But there’s also no way QF will let NH or JL take a dominant position in the market. If NH adds a second daily HND-SYD then I’d almost expect QF to go nuclear and throw something like a double daily 744 at the market to drive the competition out.
 
ArtV
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 am

qf002 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
.... then I’d almost expect QF to go nuclear and throw something like a double daily 744 at the market to drive the competition out.


Throwing capacity at a market to push prices down to make a point....doesn't sound like a sound decision for a conservative airline like QF. There was/is the SYD/MEL/BNE - Perth capacity/upguage game with VA, but internationally QF dumping capacity doesn't make sense and they likely don't have the balls for the fight here.
 
a19901213
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:09 am

The biggest problem for QF is that they don’t have any plane bigger than 333 other than 388 once 744s are gone.

Given then demand of higher classes on this route it would be dumb to use 333 if they went for 1 daily only SYD but again 789 don’t have enough seats either and they probably don’t want to sleep their 789 in Tokyo for entire day as well.

The decision of not buying 77W really hurt them here.

Otherwise they could do MEL-HND and add another 332 NRT daily flight. Uses 789 for HND-SYD. (Still has to leave the plane there for entire day though)
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:37 am

a19901213 wrote:
The biggest problem for QF is that they don’t have any plane bigger than 333 other than 388 once 744s are gone.

Given then demand of higher classes on this route it would be dumb to use 333 if they went for 1 daily only SYD but again 789 don’t have enough seats either and they probably don’t want to sleep their 789 in Tokyo for entire day as well.

The decision of not buying 77W really hurt them here.

Otherwise they could do MEL-HND and add another 332 NRT daily flight. Uses 789 for HND-SYD. (Still has to leave the plane there for entire day though)


Other issue QF will face once the B744 is retired would be the fact they have 2 options when it comes to offering W/C B789 & A380. Limited if you ask me.

Guess PS aircraft will resolve the issue in 2024? :roll:
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:57 am

EK413 wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
The biggest problem for QF is that they don’t have any plane bigger than 333 other than 388 once 744s are gone.

Given then demand of higher classes on this route it would be dumb to use 333 if they went for 1 daily only SYD but again 789 don’t have enough seats either and they probably don’t want to sleep their 789 in Tokyo for entire day as well.

The decision of not buying 77W really hurt them here.

Otherwise they could do MEL-HND and add another 332 NRT daily flight. Uses 789 for HND-SYD. (Still has to leave the plane there for entire day though)


Other issue QF will face once the B744 is retired would be the fact they have 2 options when it comes to offering W/C B789 & A380. Limited if you ask me.

Guess PS aircraft will resolve the issue in 2024? :roll:


Given they still have around 38 options/purchase rights on the 787, the 787-10 would be an ideal candidate for A333 replacement, depending on configuration 3 class around 310-320, 2 class 330-340
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 3979
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 am

a19901213 wrote:
The biggest problem for QF is that they don’t have any plane bigger than 333 other than 388 once 744s are gone.

Given then demand of higher classes on this route it would be dumb to use 333 if they went for 1 daily only SYD but again 789 don’t have enough seats either and they probably don’t want to sleep their 789 in Tokyo for entire day as well.

The decision of not buying 77W really hurt them here.

Otherwise they could do MEL-HND and add another 332 NRT daily flight. Uses 789 for HND-SYD. (Still has to leave the plane there for entire day though)


Think the gap filler, will be decided once they have locked in project sunrise e.g. if they were to purchase some 350-1000XLR they could always tap on an side order of standard 350-1000s.

If they go down the 787 path, they could probably add an couple of 787-10s if needed for Asia.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:12 am

EK413 wrote:
Wasn’t QF exploring the option to operate the A380 on SYD-HND? (I know A380 Ops to HND are not permitted only NRT)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


QF are in negotiations with Japanese authorities to use A380s, which they alluded to in their IASC application.
I'm that bad type.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:14 am

getluv wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Wasn’t QF exploring the option to operate the A380 on SYD-HND? (I know A380 Ops to HND are not permitted only NRT)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


QF are in negotiations with Japanese authorities to use A380s, which they alluded to in their IASC application.


There is also this story dating back to June regarding QF wanting to add the A388 to HND

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... dney-tokyo
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:31 am

Qantas says it will recruit up to 400 pilots plus provide significant promotional opportunities for existing staff as it tries to head off pilot concerns about Project Sunrise. Qantas wants pilots to accept the 787 pay and conditions for either planned aircraft (A350/777X) but says this doesn't include annual pay increases under a yet to be agreed EBA. Currently for 2019 a 787 line pilot gets paid (including super and allowances) $445,000 per year while a first officer is paid just over $300,000 and a second officer a little over $150,000

Pilots are concerned about fatigue and also argue the timeline Qantas wants is unrealistic. Qantas says both Boeing and Airbus wont hold slots for ever plus Qantas requires those working on Project Sunrise to move to domestic fleet renewal in 2020.

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... ng-pilots/
Forum Moderator
 
chewybacca
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:25 am

EK413 wrote:
Other issue QF will face once the B744 is retired would be the fact they have 2 options when it comes to offering W/C B789 & A380. Limited if you ask me.

Guess PS aircraft will resolve the issue in 2024? :roll:

Indeed - although not sure if QF will wait till 2024! As such, QF will probably keep flying 747 to HND. Even if they swap to A380 or 789/330 though, that still won’t resolve their utilisation issues.

The only real way to resolve utilisation would be if QF and NH all double daily to HND, but with JL all but certain to swap from NRT to HND, that results in 5x daily frequency SYD-HND - is such capacity to HND from SYD warranted in the market?

It’s almost as if QF, JL and NH/VA are all trying to second guess each other for first-mover advantages out of the East Coast Australia market! Hope we get some answers soon from all three carriers given other airlines are now starting to lock in their NS20 schedules.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 am

qf002 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
Depends on JL.
You certainly wouldn't want NH, JL and QF all adding to SYD.


But there’s also no way QF will let NH or JL take a dominant position in the market. If NH adds a second daily HND-SYD then I’d almost expect QF to go nuclear and throw something like a double daily 744 at the market to drive the competition out.


This is HND not the domestic market, there is no "line in the sand" that QF will defend. Intl Ops have been fluctuating between low profitability and losses over recent years, QF will not be dumping capacity to "drive the competition out".
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
81819
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:20 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
qf002 wrote:
moa999 wrote:
Depends on JL.
You certainly wouldn't want NH, JL and QF all adding to SYD.


But there’s also no way QF will let NH or JL take a dominant position in the market. If NH adds a second daily HND-SYD then I’d almost expect QF to go nuclear and throw something like a double daily 744 at the market to drive the competition out.


This is HND not the domestic market, there is no "line in the sand" that QF will defend. Intl Ops have been fluctuating between low profitability and losses over recent years, QF will not be dumping capacity to "drive the competition out".


QF international has been profitable for quite a few years. The issues for QF revolve market volatility (excess competitor capacity) and internal structures (size/cost of aircraft).

Now that the A380's are getting to a stage where they are almost paid off, QF will soon have the financial capacity to start reinvesting in the international business.

This could see QF being a little more aggressive in the market place.
 
moa999
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 am

travelhound wrote:
Now that the A380's are getting to a stage where they are almost paid off, QF will soon have the financial capacity to start reinvesting in the international business.


What do you call the A380 refurbs, the 787s and Project Sunrise.

They need to start investing in domestic again.. Last new plane was 2014, and both the shorthaul and regional fleet is ageing.
 
YYZORD
Posts: 554
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 am

Doubling SYD makes no sense for NH, they could've easily added MEL out of HND which would've been really profitable. This honestly reminds me of the situation of Japan to Canada flights where Japanese airlines only focus on YVR and YYZ gets no love from JL or NH. Same thing here with MEL and SYD.
 
81819
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 am

moa999 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Now that the A380's are getting to a stage where they are almost paid off, QF will soon have the financial capacity to start reinvesting in the international business.


What do you call the A380 refurbs, the 787s and Project Sunrise.

They need to start investing in domestic again.. Last new plane was 2014, and both the shorthaul and regional fleet is ageing.


Small Fry in the scheme if things. An aircraft interior has an economic life of approximately eight years. The 787's have in essence been replacing old and paid for 747's.

I will send you some information on the cost of the A380 in relationship to the fleet costs shortly. The numbers are eye watering.
 
Morrofinch
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:15 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:16 am

YYZORD wrote:
Doubling SYD makes no sense for NH, they could've easily added MEL out of HND which would've been really profitable. This honestly reminds me of the situation of Japan to Canada flights where Japanese airlines only focus on YVR and YYZ gets no love from JL or NH. Same thing here with MEL and SYD.


I think you are missing the main reason behind it. Currently they have one plane on the ground for like 12 hours at SYD. Doing this will mean this will be slightly less AKA they will use 1.5 aircraft for the double rather than 1 aircraft for the single. This means the theoretical cost is less than MEL-HND. Thus the business case is there for the route.
 
kriskim
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:18 am

YYZORD wrote:
Doubling SYD makes no sense for NH, they could've easily added MEL out of HND which would've been really profitable. This honestly reminds me of the situation of Japan to Canada flights where Japanese airlines only focus on YVR and YYZ gets no love from JL or NH. Same thing here with MEL and SYD.


MEL does get some love from JL, they operate a daily service to NRT. There was a period not so long ago that MEL had zero flights to Japan.

I do feel that it’s a wasted opportunity for both NH and VA to leave MEL out, considering that the business market between Melbourne and Tokyo is the second largest after Sydney.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
chewybacca
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:56 am

I’m starting to wonder if VA was partially banking on NH starting up a MEL-HND service in its submission to the IASC for BNE ops and VA/NH codesharing.

Obviously it wouldn’t have been the primary reason for choosing to fly out of BNE for the HND slot, not to mention the commercial sensitivities in disclosing this matter publicly, but surely VA must’ve had this in the back of their mind when they were drafting their application to the IASC.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8508
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:55 am

I saw that ZNA was operating SYD-BNE today, and it looks like it did BNE-PER-BNE yesterday. Is this related to 737 issues?
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
smi0006
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am

kriskim wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
Doubling SYD makes no sense for NH, they could've easily added MEL out of HND which would've been really profitable. This honestly reminds me of the situation of Japan to Canada flights where Japanese airlines only focus on YVR and YYZ gets no love from JL or NH. Same thing here with MEL and SYD.


MEL does get some love from JL, they operate a daily service to NRT. There was a period not so long ago that MEL had zero flights to Japan.

I do feel that it’s a wasted opportunity for both NH and VA to leave MEL out, considering that the business market between Melbourne and Tokyo is the second largest after Sydney.


Maybe JL will convert their MEL service to HND? Makes no sense for them to double down on SYD too, if QF is?

PER-NRT was a surprising move for NH, maybe they will surprise us with MEL?

I suppose the other interesting element depending the scale of the JV - this now gives VA virtual access to SYD-HND and PER-NRT overnight. Curious to see more details around the depth of the JV.
 
User avatar
Dan23
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:26 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
I saw that ZNA was operating SYD-BNE today, and it looks like it did BNE-PER-BNE yesterday. Is this related to 737 issues?

No one BNE-PER-BNE trip on Fridays and one BNE-SYD-BNE trip on Saturdays are currently scheduled 787 services. Keeps one bird busy in between QF55/56 services.
 
TG788
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 am

eta unknown wrote:
Morrofinch wrote:
I suspect there is a factor which we dont know about at play here. Otherwise they would have dropped the route a while a go.


Remember the only other international flights DRW has now are to DPS and SIN.


Also DIL :)
 
Captdasbomb
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:51 am

DanielK wrote:
VH-NXM of Qantaslink arrived into Perth earlier this afternoon from Seletar via Singapore. The aircraft had undergone a maintenance check and it got painted at the same time. The name of VH-NXM is Strzelech National Park.


Via Broome you mean
 
Captdasbomb
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 am

Dan23 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
I saw that ZNA was operating SYD-BNE today, and it looks like it did BNE-PER-BNE yesterday. Is this related to 737 issues?

No one BNE-PER-BNE trip on Fridays and one BNE-SYD-BNE trip on Saturdays are currently scheduled 787 services. Keeps one bird busy in between QF55/56 services.

& throw in pilot training in the mix too
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Captdasbomb wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
I saw that ZNA was operating SYD-BNE today, and it looks like it did BNE-PER-BNE yesterday. Is this related to 737 issues?

No one BNE-PER-BNE trip on Fridays and one BNE-SYD-BNE trip on Saturdays are currently scheduled 787 services. Keeps one bird busy in between QF55/56 services.

& throw in pilot training in the mix too


Also as of today QF29/30 MEL-HKG is now operated by 789 replacing A333
Forum Moderator
 
81819
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:24 pm

travelhound wrote:
moa999 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Now that the A380's are getting to a stage where they are almost paid off, QF will soon have the financial capacity to start reinvesting in the international business.


What do you call the A380 refurbs, the 787s and Project Sunrise.

They need to start investing in domestic again.. Last new plane was 2014, and both the shorthaul and regional fleet is ageing.


Small Fry in the scheme if things. An aircraft interior has an economic life of approximately eight years. The 787's have in essence been replacing old and paid for 747's.

I will send you some information on the cost of the A380 in relationship to the fleet costs shortly. The numbers are eye watering.


The QANTAS mainline fleet (excluding QANTASlink, Freight & Jetstar) consists of 131 aircraft. The depreciated valuation of the fleet is somewhere in the region of $AUD 4.95 billion. The depreciated valuation of the A380's is somewhere close $AUD 1.22 billion, meaning the A380's represent close to 25% of the fleet on an aircraft valuation basis.

At a guess, capital payments on the A380's represents close to 20% of QANTAS's yearly CAPEX budget for aircraft.

As such once the A380's have been paid for, QANTAS will have close to $200 million to spend on new aircraft per year. If we assume new aircraft purchased by QANTAS will be more profitable to operate, QANTAS could justify increasing the CAPEX spend allowing for substantial growth of the business.

Currently QANTAS own close to 60% of their mainline fleet. In three years time this will be close to 85%, meaning QANTAS will have a substantial CAPEX budget to spend on new aircraft (Approx. $600m pa).
 
kriskim
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Haneda Slots - Australia utilisation:

- New Virgin Australia BNE-HND daily service
- ANA to increase SYD-HND to double daily
- JAL will move daily MEL-NRT to MEL-HND

At this stage QF will most likely launch a second daily SYD-HND service - TBC
A world built upon connectivity.
 
chewybacca
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:51 pm

kriskim wrote:
Haneda Slots - Australia utilisation:

- New Virgin Australia BNE-HND daily service
- ANA to increase SYD-HND to double daily
- JAL will move daily MEL-NRT to MEL-HND

At this stage QF will most likely launch a second daily SYD-HND service - TBC

JL's move is surprising but interesting. I wonder if a lot of the Japanese business links in Melbourne have corporate contracts with JL, hence the move makes more sense.

Also then I wonder if QF are planning some tie-up with JL for the SYD routes e.g. codesharing down the track?

EDIT: Found the source.
 
kriskim
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:03 pm

chewybacca wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Haneda Slots - Australia utilisation:

- New Virgin Australia BNE-HND daily service
- ANA to increase SYD-HND to double daily
- JAL will move daily MEL-NRT to MEL-HND

At this stage QF will most likely launch a second daily SYD-HND service - TBC

JL's move is surprising but interesting. I wonder if a lot of the Japanese business links in Melbourne have corporate contracts with JL, hence the move makes more sense.

Also then I wonder if QF are planning some tie-up with JL for the SYD routes e.g. codesharing down the track?

EDIT: Found the source.


I'm thinking that there is more to the picture, most definitely we will be seeing some type of co-operation between QF and JL. The two will work together to probably keep a stronghold at both MEL and SYD.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:10 pm

All this talk about HND slots look who popped into Perth

@planedude94
JA899A preparing to taxi as NH882 @perthairport

Image

kriskim wrote:
Haneda Slots - Australia utilisation:

- New Virgin Australia BNE-HND daily service
- ANA to increase SYD-HND to double daily
- JAL will move daily MEL-NRT to MEL-HND

At this stage QF will most likely launch a second daily SYD-HND service - TBC


Source: https://www.knaviation.net/ana-jal-new- ... lot-plans/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by EK413 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:14 pm

EK413 wrote:
All this talk about HND slots look who popped into Perth

@planedude94
JA899A preparing to taxi as NH882 @perthairport

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That was in PER on Thursday night, got a good picture of it at the gate, its also only the second time NH has sent the 789 to PER
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:18 pm

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
All this talk about HND slots look who popped into Perth

@planedude94
JA899A preparing to taxi as NH882 @perthairport

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That was in PER on Thursday night, got a good picture of it at the gate, its also only the second time NH has sent the 789 to PER


I remember your post mentioning how boring it was becoming with the same B788 aircraft operating NRT-PER.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:20 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
All this talk about HND slots look who popped into Perth

@planedude94
JA899A preparing to taxi as NH882 @perthairport

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That was in PER on Thursday night, got a good picture of it at the gate, its also only the second time NH has sent the 789 to PER


I remember your post mentioning how boring it was becoming with the same B788 aircraft operating NRT-PER.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes I know, I was really happy to see the star alliance 789 here, I think it was a last minute replacement
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11410
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Virgin 77W VH-VPH due to fly to SIN today for maintenance, LAX services to be reduced
Forum Moderator
 
a19901213
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 pm

chewybacca wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Haneda Slots - Australia utilisation:

- New Virgin Australia BNE-HND daily service
- ANA to increase SYD-HND to double daily
- JAL will move daily MEL-NRT to MEL-HND

At this stage QF will most likely launch a second daily SYD-HND service - TBC

JL's move is surprising but interesting. I wonder if a lot of the Japanese business links in Melbourne have corporate contracts with JL, hence the move makes more sense.

Also then I wonder if QF are planning some tie-up with JL for the SYD routes e.g. codesharing down the track?

EDIT: Found the source.


If JAL really is to move MEL to HND then I guess there must be some kind of consensus been made between two parties.

It’s a pity though that I always to fly to HND on JAL from Sydney.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:20 pm

ben175 wrote:
Very interesting to see Batik’s numbers change so rapidly in the time they’ve been flying to PER. They’re obviously building consumer confidence. Has anyone tried their J Class?

I’ve alwaus been curious why they use the ID brand to PER but the Malindo brand to the Eastern states.


I've used Malindo's biz class- it was a freebie- I wouldn't pay for it, although their airport upgrades can be reasonable at times. The food portions (in all classes) from AU to DPS are poor, but PER is only 3 hours so bearable.
Yes the Batik brand on PER is a bit confusing. Adding to the confusion is you can only purchase a Batik ticket from their website. All tickets purchased from agencies use the Malindo codeshare (usually a few $ more due to Batik not charging a fuel surcharge). Internationally Batik only flies to PER/KUL/MAA and sister company Malindo looks after them in these markets- they actually prevented Batik from participating in overseas agency BSP programs, hence why Batik tickets can't be booked by agents outside Indonesia.

There was one theory that Malindo's BNE flight was just a placeholder for Batik, but then they added MEL/ADL/SYD so who knows... it's basically the same company and at one point Malindo was supposed to be renamed Batik Malaysia, but it never happened.
 
User avatar
Goodbye
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 pm

qf789 wrote:
BITRE for August out
Thai AirAsia X averaging around 50% on BNE-DMK


Yikes, that's pretty poor. I wonder why it's so low when they have pretty good fares all the time?
✈︎
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3404
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Goodbye wrote:
qf789 wrote:
BITRE for August out
Thai AirAsia X averaging around 50% on BNE-DMK


Yikes, that's pretty poor. I wonder why it's so low when they have pretty good fares all the time?


Maybe the market just isn’t that strong.

Will see how it plays out though as it may need time to build.
 
moa999
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:56 pm

And BNE-DMK is only 3/wk as it is.
 
oskarclare
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:27 am

moa999 wrote:
And BNE-DMK is only 3/wk as it is.


It doesn't help that their A333 and A339 have a 377 seat config. That means they are still bringing in around 1131 seats each week to BNE. It'll be interesting how popular they were over Sep school holidays and over upcoming Dec/Jan periods.
 
QF742
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:45 am

kriskim wrote:
chewybacca wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Haneda Slots - Australia utilisation:

- New Virgin Australia BNE-HND daily service
- ANA to increase SYD-HND to double daily
- JAL will move daily MEL-NRT to MEL-HND

At this stage QF will most likely launch a second daily SYD-HND service - TBC

JL's move is surprising but interesting. I wonder if a lot of the Japanese business links in Melbourne have corporate contracts with JL, hence the move makes more sense.

Also then I wonder if QF are planning some tie-up with JL for the SYD routes e.g. codesharing down the track?

EDIT: Found the source.


I'm thinking that there is more to the picture, most definitely we will be seeing some type of co-operation between QF and JL. The two will work together to probably keep a stronghold at both MEL and SYD.


That is a welcome surprised from JL. It would have been a shame for MEL not to have any connection to HND out of this process.

I agree that it feels like something more is happening behind the scenes with JL-QF. At the very least, an expanded code share agreement on most of the non stop services. QF/JL will operate 6 daily flights (compared to 4 on VA/NH). If you add in JQ and non TYO services, then QF/JL will be operating the majority of all capacity, so even a codeshare may be difficult...
 
smi0006
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:24 am

QF742 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
chewybacca wrote:
JL's move is surprising but interesting. I wonder if a lot of the Japanese business links in Melbourne have corporate contracts with JL, hence the move makes more sense.

Also then I wonder if QF are planning some tie-up with JL for the SYD routes e.g. codesharing down the track?

EDIT: Found the source.


I'm thinking that there is more to the picture, most definitely we will be seeing some type of co-operation between QF and JL. The two will work together to probably keep a stronghold at both MEL and SYD.


That is a welcome surprised from JL. It would have been a shame for MEL not to have any connection to HND out of this process.

I agree that it feels like something more is happening behind the scenes with JL-QF. At the very least, an expanded code share agreement on most of the non stop services. QF/JL will operate 6 daily flights (compared to 4 on VA/NH). If you add in JQ and non TYO services, then QF/JL will be operating the majority of all capacity, so even a codeshare may be difficult...


Is there a link to the announcement; be interesting to see the language used in both?
 
chewybacca
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 am

smi0006 wrote:
Is there a link to the announcement; be interesting to see the language used in both?

No official announcements yet. It was taken from a Japanese aviation industry newsletter.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks so much qf789 for posting the story, see the following link, on last month's thread about the top 20 domestic connecting passenger markets: https://www.airliners.net/forum/report.php?f=3&p=21761251

It's a shame the airlines appear in consolidation mode domestically, because there appears to be some potential — perhaps VA had some of them in mind prior to the rumour of new domestic routes being off the table now. The negative growth in most of these markets probably justifies this.

It would be fascinating to see more data around these connecting passengers to discern why more non-stop services aren't offered, i.e. a breakdown by day of week and time of day. I'm surprised that three of the top four markets on the list have so many connecting passengers given non-stop flights exist: ADL-HBA, MEL-TSV, and CBR-PER. Some other markets on the list have been tried in the past but since cut: MEL-MKY, MKY-SYD, CBR-HBA, ROK-SYD, and CBR-DRW being the top five. Others have never been tried: MEL-ROK, LST-OOL (AN ran a seasonal once weekly service in the 90's), and PER-TSV being the top three.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 12

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos