• 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 12
 
myki
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 pm

getluv wrote:
myki wrote:
qf789 wrote:

SYD-LHR is served via QF1/2 and BA15/16, its served even though it includes a stop somewhere, same applies to SYD-JFK

From a customer perspective, they are getting off the plane and getting back on the plane, so basically it is SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR ... no different to SYD-SIN and SIN-WAW, SYD-SIN and SIN-IST, SYD-SIN and SIN-FRA, etc. etc.so if SYD-LHR is classed as a route already served for the customer, then so is SYD-WAW, SYD-IST and SYD-FRA.


I know it's weird, but as qf789 points out SYD-LHR is technically served. QF1 is SYD-LHR, SIN is a technical stop. Likewise, MEL-LHR, SYD-JFK exist like, EK's DXB-CHC, QRs DOH-CBR, AC's YYZ-SYD, and I'm sure there is a few more. It is to do with flight numbers and respective bilateral agreements.

We all know that here ... but whether a technical stop, refuelling, stocking up on sandwiches, the plane stops once. Is SYD connected to JFK coz the flight number is the same even though the aircraft changes? It's all in the marketing I guess :)
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 am

ZNJ's "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" really does make this look like design by committee. It's got all the key Qantas logos, it's got qantas.com/100, it's got the big "100" on the side and the undercarriage. It's sort of obvious this is a 100th anniversary plane, and yet let's cram in "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" as well. FFS!! The livery is way too cluttered, regardless of what people say about the original RetroRoo and RetroRoo II they were minimalist, uncluttered, very 'simple'. ZNJ looks like the proverbial dog's breakfast!
 
smi0006
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas A380 (VH-OQB) has been damaged while being towed out of a hangar. The aircraft struck scaffolding and the front lower R1 door was nearly ripped off. As a result today's QF7 SYD-DFW was cancelled. It is expected to take about 2 weeks to repair the damaged aircraft

Image

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 5391o.html


Ouch! That’s gotta hurts! I assumed this happened in Sydney- this hangars are rather porky around there.

Wonder if they have spare 789 to carry some of the capacity? Are they running any domestics they can be taken off? Or 744 to shuffle about.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9341
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:38 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Qantas A380 (VH-OQB) has been damaged while being towed out of a hangar. The aircraft struck scaffolding and the front lower R1 door was nearly ripped off. As a result today's QF7 SYD-DFW was cancelled. It is expected to take about 2 weeks to repair the damaged aircraft

Image

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 5391o.html


Ouch! That’s gotta hurts! I assumed this happened in Sydney- this hangars are rather porky around there.

Wonder if they have spare 789 to carry some of the capacity? Are they running any domestics they can be taken off? Or 744 to shuffle about.


The 9th 789 is currently dedicated to MEL-HKG. This should have freed up an A330 but with 3 737's grounded due to pickle fork cracks I imagine QF hasn't got much room for movement at the moment. On the plus side being only the start of November its happened at the right time, in another 4 to 6 weeks would cause a lot of issues for them
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1735
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 am

NTLDaz wrote:
lessredtape wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

For crying our loud! Rex have been whinging about Dubbo's airport charges for 5 or so years, and yet have not cancelled a single frequency. If the charges were making their operation uneconomical then they are welcome to leave. They really are coming over as a petulent toddler.
hold on, ALL Rex Saab 340 are less than 37 seats, so they should not pay security at ANY airport in the country.

Dubbo is similar to Albury with Rex, Virgin & Qantas. Not sure of the situation there. Can anyone enlighted us? Qantas & Virgin fly aircraft over 40 seats into Albury.


Excellent point. It's OK to bag REX but let's see how Dubbo feels if they leave the market and fares go up.

As to them being Singapore owned the law allows that. Bit xenophobic to complain about that in my eyes. They serve regionals that Qantas wouldn't. REX is a valuable part of Australian aviation.


They have a smaller fleet so competitively can do - they dont serve them just because QF doesnt...

As to 'bagging' Rex - pointing out a company that may be rent seeking in an excessive and manipulative manner should not be frowned upon.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1735
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 am

jupiter2 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
OAG has published a top ten list of the longest unserved routes. From an Australian perspective BNE-LHR, BEY-SYD and CDG-SYD all make the top 10

https://www.oag.com/blog/the-worlds-lon ... w-41229126


I dont understand the methodology - SYD-LHR is not announced and doesnt appear here and Im pretty sure is bigger than BNE-LHR...


SYD-LHR is served, direct, one stop with the same plane. All the other routes require transfers.


IDK this seems to be too convenient. I see no difference between SYD-SIN-LHR and BNE-SIN-LHR (or indeed SYD-SIN-PER and as someone mentioned SYD-LAX-JFK)).. No i think this has been engineered conveniently.
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 am

qf2220 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
lessredtape wrote:
hold on, ALL Rex Saab 340 are less than 37 seats, so they should not pay security at ANY airport in the country.

Dubbo is similar to Albury with Rex, Virgin & Qantas. Not sure of the situation there. Can anyone enlighted us? Qantas & Virgin fly aircraft over 40 seats into Albury.


Excellent point. It's OK to bag REX but let's see how Dubbo feels if they leave the market and fares go up.

As to them being Singapore owned the law allows that. Bit xenophobic to complain about that in my eyes. They serve regionals that Qantas wouldn't. REX is a valuable part of Australian aviation.


They have a smaller fleet so competitively can do - they dont serve them just because QF doesnt...

As to 'bagging' Rex - pointing out a company that may be rent seeking in an excessive and manipulative manner should not be frowned upon.


My first point was about paying for security.

If you want to get in to rent seekers I'm with you. This country is loaded with rent seekers.

I maintain the point that REX is good for regional communities. If not them hopefully someone else but I don't see QF or VA flying to ONG for example.

I'm not sure how REX complaining about Dubbo is any different than QF complaining about Perth or Canberra.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5299
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 am

qf789 wrote:
Saturday's QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 1435 Sunday


Sunday’s QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 14:35 Monday.

Monday’s QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR Cancelled

Only if OJU’s retirement was delayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9341
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:13 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Saturday's QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 1435 Sunday


Sunday’s QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 14:35 Monday.

Monday’s QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR Cancelled

Only if OJU’s retirement was delayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Does that mean that when QF25 gets to HND, it does a quick turn for the return to SYD
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5299
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:27 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Saturday's QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 1435 Sunday


Sunday’s QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 14:35 Monday.

Monday’s QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR Cancelled

Only if OJU’s retirement was delayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Does that mean that when QF25 gets to HND, it does a quick turn for the return to SYD


More than likely the plan.

Today’s QF63 SYD-JNB significantly delayed departed at 17:50.

Plus VH-OEI was on Antarctic Charter duties.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
ZNJ's "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" really does make this look like design by committee. It's got all the key Qantas logos, it's got qantas.com/100, it's got the big "100" on the side and the undercarriage. It's sort of obvious this is a 100th anniversary plane, and yet let's cram in "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" as well. FFS!! The livery is way too cluttered, regardless of what people say about the original RetroRoo and RetroRoo II they were minimalist, uncluttered, very 'simple'. ZNJ looks like the proverbial dog's breakfast!


Sadly I agree. Whilst a little unimaginative, I don't mind the red belly wave and I get the '100' on the forward fuselage but just surprised the rest of it got the green light - someone actually signed that off and said "yep, that's good, let's do it"? :roll:
 
smi0006
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:48 am

Velocity7 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
ZNJ's "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" really does make this look like design by committee. It's got all the key Qantas logos, it's got qantas.com/100, it's got the big "100" on the side and the undercarriage. It's sort of obvious this is a 100th anniversary plane, and yet let's cram in "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" as well. FFS!! The livery is way too cluttered, regardless of what people say about the original RetroRoo and RetroRoo II they were minimalist, uncluttered, very 'simple'. ZNJ looks like the proverbial dog's breakfast!


Sadly I agree. Whilst a little unimaginative, I don't mind the red belly wave and I get the '100' on the forward fuselage but just surprised the rest of it got the green light - someone actually signed that off and said "yep, that's good, let's do it"? :roll:


100% agree, looks simply tacky and cheap to me. I would have rather a serious of retro jets incorporating the 100 years theme, or as you suggest red belly and ditch the time capsule reference
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:39 am

smi0006 wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
ZNJ's "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" really does make this look like design by committee. It's got all the key Qantas logos, it's got qantas.com/100, it's got the big "100" on the side and the undercarriage. It's sort of obvious this is a 100th anniversary plane, and yet let's cram in "Qantas time capsule towards 2120" as well. FFS!! The livery is way too cluttered, regardless of what people say about the original RetroRoo and RetroRoo II they were minimalist, uncluttered, very 'simple'. ZNJ looks like the proverbial dog's breakfast!


Sadly I agree. Whilst a little unimaginative, I don't mind the red belly wave and I get the '100' on the forward fuselage but just surprised the rest of it got the green light - someone actually signed that off and said "yep, that's good, let's do it"? :roll:


100% agree, looks simply tacky and cheap to me. I would have rather a serious of retro jets incorporating the 100 years theme, or as you suggest red belly and ditch the time capsule reference

It's a mess. I'm surprised someone didn't speak up when the plane was first painted and say 'STOP!" Every time I see it, I like it less. If they remove the time capsule rubbish and the misaligned logos, it might be tolerable but never great. I bet it gets repainted as soon as 2020 is over.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
moa999
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am

tullamarine wrote:
If they remove the time capsule rubbish and the misaligned logos, it might be tolerable but never great. I bet it gets repainted as soon as 2020 is over.


Agree the time capsule but is a bit naff,
But the Towards 2120 but at least it has a life beyond 2020.

I don't expect a repaint.. if they only wanted it to last a year you'd simply do a normal livery and add stickers
 
User avatar
V8CHRGD
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 am

I think the 100th livery looks great and look forward to seeing it in the flesh.
 
lessredtape
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
I'm just telling you, this one is different. We'll see how it turns out. It's enough if a few of the loudest customers know how to tell and push it in social media to tarnish an airline's reputation with it seriously.


Two years after it re-enters service most people will have forgotten.

At the time of the ET crash I had several people tell me they would never fly on a MAX. I asked if they would fly on a 787 and would receive a comment like, 'oh yes, that's the fancy new plane that flies to London'. They didn't realise that this is the same plane that was grounded because it had a nasty habit of catching on fire.
hardly 2 years, more like 2 days as media will then beat up some other story.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:04 am

When is the LHR-SYD test flight going to be operated?
 
a19901213
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:55 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:

Sadly I agree. Whilst a little unimaginative, I don't mind the red belly wave and I get the '100' on the forward fuselage but just surprised the rest of it got the green light - someone actually signed that off and said "yep, that's good, let's do it"? :roll:


100% agree, looks simply tacky and cheap to me. I would have rather a serious of retro jets incorporating the 100 years theme, or as you suggest red belly and ditch the time capsule reference

It's a mess. I'm surprised someone didn't speak up when the plane was first painted and say 'STOP!" Every time I see it, I like it less. If they remove the time capsule rubbish and the misaligned logos, it might be tolerable but never great. I bet it gets repainted as soon as 2020 is over.


Can’t agree more. When I first look at the photo I thought I was looking at a Chinese airline’s livery plane.

Really bad design given Qantas has been quite good at providing good looking design consistently.
 
brucetiki
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 am

V8CHRGD wrote:
I think the 100th livery looks great and look forward to seeing it in the flesh.


Agree. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I like it.

Yes, it's a bit busy, but it's also a basic red/white colour scheme, which to me helps offset that. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 am

V8CHRGD wrote:
I think the 100th livery looks great and look forward to seeing it in the flesh.


Agreed, I can't wait to see it on Friday.

I can't understand why so many people get upset at special liveries that aren't "perfect", you'd think someone had committed an offence against a prize possession. I just appreciate different schemes on aircraft, they don't have to be works of art, though perhaps QF have spoilt us in the past with some of the specials they have come out with, that people get upset when something isn't perfect ? Just enjoy the fact that special, retro, commemorative, advertising, any sort of non standard schemes are a blessing. They give us something to chase that is out of the ordinary and I will always appreciate that.
 
Ozpenyu
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am

I quite like the red wave. Drop RAAF rounded at the front and the may be a better treatment of the historic Logos
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5299
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 pm

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Saturday's QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 1435 Sunday


Sunday’s QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 14:35 Monday.

Monday’s QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR Cancelled

Only if OJU’s retirement was delayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Does that mean that when QF25 gets to HND, it does a quick turn for the return to SYD


Spot on. -OEJ operated back to back SYD-HND-SYD services.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
BoeingVista
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Sunday’s QF25 SYD-HND delayed till 14:35 Monday.

Monday’s QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR Cancelled

Only if OJU’s retirement was delayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Does that mean that when QF25 gets to HND, it does a quick turn for the return to SYD


Spot on. -OEJ operated back to back SYD-HND-SYD services.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm told by somebody who was supposed to be on it that Sunday's QF25 got canceled and amalgamated onto Mondays normally timed departure.
BV
 
User avatar
Dan23
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:06 am

Ishrion wrote:
When is the LHR-SYD test flight going to be operated?

Local times from QF website:
QF6027 12/11 LAX 2340 : 1820 LHR 13/11 (11:40 flight time)
QF7879 14/11 LHR 0600 : 1145 SYD 15/11 (18:45 flight time)
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:17 am

Also tonight's QF73 (12/11) appears to be cancelled.

I also noticed OEH hasn't left SYD since arriving from JNB on Saturday afternoon (09/11) is it safe to assume there's an issue with this particular aircraft?
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1440
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 am

BoeingVista wrote:
I'm told by somebody who was supposed to be on it that Sunday's QF25 got canceled and amalgamated onto Mondays normally timed departure.

I would say it's not making any sense considering Monday's flight ran as scheduled and we had two flights to HND yesterday - the delayed one (opby OEJ and returned straight from HND) and the normal one (by OEG and will stay there the whole day today)

Michael
 
downdata
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:08 am

Qantas drops Beijing / PEK from March. Makes sense given their low yield / LF in premium cabins. Also, the other OW airlines ate moving to PKX.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:14 am

downdata wrote:
Qantas drops Beijing / PEK from March. Makes sense given their low yield / LF in premium cabins. Also, the other OW airlines ate moving to PKX.


Ouch, for the third time in four decades:

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport ... 112-p539wp
 
Whatsaptudo
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 am

I'd say they need the aircraft for HND where they can actually make money.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:22 am

Bye-bye Beijing, as Qantas yet again pulls out of the Sydney-Beijing route.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ng-flights
 
smi0006
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:40 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
I'd say they need the aircraft for HND where they can actually make money.


Curious indeed, or more changes ahead - makes sense to send the 330 to HND over a 789.
 
User avatar
BoeingVista
Posts: 2019
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
I'd say they need the aircraft for HND where they can actually make money.


They did themselves no favours by cancelling a Sunday flight and refusing to re-book my friend until Monday (24 hours), they missed a meeting as I'm sure a fair few PAX did.
BV
 
a19901213
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 am

BoeingVista wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:
I'd say they need the aircraft for HND where they can actually make money.


They did themselves no favours by cancelling a Sunday flight and refusing to re-book my friend until Monday (24 hours), they missed a meeting as I'm sure a fair few PAX did.


I encountered same situation on QF25 before as well. Ever since I try to use other airlines to go to Japan even it means transiting at other airports like TPE or HKG. HND flight has long downtime in Tokyo hence it’s always the first one to be picked when anything went wrong.

QF has been utilising their fleet tighter than ever and consequently if anything go wrong lots of flights suffered.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2463
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:58 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Bye-bye Beijing, as Qantas yet again pulls out of the Sydney-Beijing route.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ng-flights

Well QF were frequently selling SYD-PEK with BNE/MEL add-ons for $500 return including tax- I'd hate to think what levels they were selling ex PEK to AU.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:09 pm

eta unknown wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Bye-bye Beijing, as Qantas yet again pulls out of the Sydney-Beijing route.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ng-flights

Well QF were frequently selling SYD-PEK with BNE/MEL add-ons for $500 return including tax- I'd hate to think what levels they were selling ex PEK to AU.


I doubt they got any local sales, accept maybe from some ex-pats. With the fares they'd been offering, I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Is there any likely-hood of MU or CZ getting rights from the new airport in Beijing to Australia ? If one of them starts PKX/SYD, I could see QF code sharing, otherwise they'll send pax through PVG on MU.
 
kriskim
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:55 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Bye-bye Beijing, as Qantas yet again pulls out of the Sydney-Beijing route.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ng-flights

Well QF were frequently selling SYD-PEK with BNE/MEL add-ons for $500 return including tax- I'd hate to think what levels they were selling ex PEK to AU.


I doubt they got any local sales, accept maybe from some ex-pats. With the fares they'd been offering, I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Is there any likely-hood of MU or CZ getting rights from the new airport in Beijing to Australia ? If one of them starts PKX/SYD, I could see QF code sharing, otherwise they'll send pax through PVG on MU.


CZ is looking at picking up MEL/SYD-PKX
A world built upon connectivity.
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:37 am

Maybe a bit of an aside, but hopefully of interest to some. I was in Iceland at Reykjavik's downtown airport this weekend. You can imagine my shock at this being on the ground.

Image

The aircraft is WA based. WA to Iceland is a long way in a Cessna! Apparently it flew from Broome to Bali, to Thailand, to India, to Muscat, to Cyprus, to Holland to Reykjavik. It was quite a surprise, but a nice one!
 
HM7
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm

IMG_1046.jpeg


Here is a pic of the route that plane flew. Apparently its made its way to buffalo
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER
 
ArtV
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:21 am

Delays for new runway for Melbourne (I thought the masterplan had the new runway location fixed....but apparently not): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-14/ ... n/11702112
 
smi0006
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:18 am

ArtV wrote:
Delays for new runway for Melbourne (I thought the masterplan had the new runway location fixed....but apparently not): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-14/ ... n/11702112


What a surprise airports being unable to have a proper strategy for investment and development which in turn impacts Airlines and the consumer. Sounds like they may face an uphill battle too with the community..

I especially enjoyed this quote from Lyle with regard to an increase in delays and mitigation - "We will work with airlines to reduce that impact. Upsizing aircraft is certainly an option open to us."

Open to ‘us’ no airlines - How should the airlines finance upsizing aircraft? Will SACL and APAM fund them?
 
Whatsaptudo
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:24 am

I can see this happening all over Australia. The available slot will come with a capacity restriction.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:43 am

APAC really have no incentive to invest early. The longer the draw out capex the better for their books, really.

And there's a lot to sort out - incremental terminal development has left the international terminal sandwiched and facilities subpar, the QF terminal woefully dated and on the wrong side of the airport from JQ, VA's terminal close to capacity; fuel storage capacity was so bad the state government had to intervene; realignment of forecourts for rail services eventually (above ground is surely the way to go in terms of cost); and the 3rd runway. There's probably more.

MEL had a lot of advantages but looks to have become complacent with APAC at the helm. Now they're playing catchup. Fully privatising airports was a dumb move.
 
BNEFlyer
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 am

qf2220 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

I dont understand the methodology - SYD-LHR is not announced and doesnt appear here and Im pretty sure is bigger than BNE-LHR...


SYD-LHR is served, direct, one stop with the same plane. All the other routes require transfers.


IDK this seems to be too convenient. I see no difference between SYD-SIN-LHR and BNE-SIN-LHR (or indeed SYD-SIN-PER and as someone mentioned SYD-LAX-JFK)).. No i think this has been engineered conveniently.


BNE-SIN-LHR and SYD-SIN-PER are not direct flights. SYD-SIN-LHR and SYD-LAX-JFK are.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1735
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

SYD-LHR is served, direct, one stop with the same plane. All the other routes require transfers.


IDK this seems to be too convenient. I see no difference between SYD-SIN-LHR and BNE-SIN-LHR (or indeed SYD-SIN-PER and as someone mentioned SYD-LAX-JFK)).. No i think this has been engineered conveniently.


BNE-SIN-LHR and SYD-SIN-PER are not direct flights. SYD-SIN-LHR and SYD-LAX-JFK are.


Yes i know that from a marketing perspective yes, but theyre all one stop flights. QF could probably work out a way of having QF1 and QF51 flight codes on the SIN-LHR sector and this route would drop out, merely because of a flight number.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:01 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

SYD-LHR is served, direct, one stop with the same plane. All the other routes require transfers.


IDK this seems to be too convenient. I see no difference between SYD-SIN-LHR and BNE-SIN-LHR (or indeed SYD-SIN-PER and as someone mentioned SYD-LAX-JFK)).. No i think this has been engineered conveniently.


BNE-SIN-LHR and SYD-SIN-PER are not direct flights. SYD-SIN-LHR and SYD-LAX-JFK are.


Actually SYD-LAX-JFK isn't either, as it involves a change of aircraft in LAX.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8055
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am

jupiter2 wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

IDK this seems to be too convenient. I see no difference between SYD-SIN-LHR and BNE-SIN-LHR (or indeed SYD-SIN-PER and as someone mentioned SYD-LAX-JFK)).. No i think this has been engineered conveniently.


BNE-SIN-LHR and SYD-SIN-PER are not direct flights. SYD-SIN-LHR and SYD-LAX-JFK are.


Actually SYD-LAX-JFK isn't either, as it involves a change of aircraft in LAX.


It's based on flight number, so BNEflyer is correct as far as the OAG study is concerned. But this is just semantics. The exercise should really be based on non-stop flights otherwise it looses a lot of meaning.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
kriskim
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm

EK axes BNE-SIN-DXB from 30 March next year, the flights will not be replaced. The airline cites that the route suffered heavy losses as the reason.

EK will continue to offer MEL-SIN-DXB service daily.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/c ... ompetition
A world built upon connectivity.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1735
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:44 am

Im surprised QF7879 hasn't got much of a mention yet. Over Nyngan at the moment, not far into SYD.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 9341
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:49 am

Virgin BNE-HND due to go on sale next month, will operate Ex BNE during daylight hours while the return flight will be a redeye

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... march-2020
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:55 am

kriskim wrote:
EK axes BNE-SIN-DXB from 30 March next year, the flights will not be replaced. The airline cites that the route suffered heavy losses as the reason.

EK will continue to offer MEL-SIN-DXB service daily.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/c ... ompetition


Strong rumours that SQ will launch 5x daily BNE soon... we will see.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 12

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos