Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2019

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:40 am

Seems Qantas is having A380 issues again. On Tuesday they only had 8 A388's operational

OQG is DRS for refurbs
OQJ C check in AUH
OQF engine issue in SIN, still in SIN
OQK, delayed overnight at LAX due to electrical fault, since returned to service
Forum Moderator

Velocity7

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:23 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
That's acheiveable with a 787, but El Al's fleet are heavier than standard production models due to the extra security requirements.

Interesting, didn't know that. Pardon my ignorance but what extra security requirements do they have that make them heavier?

aerokiwi

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 am

aerohottie wrote:
Quick question

Are there still rumours of VA's shareholders looking to offload their holdings?
The usual suspects were that EY and HNA were keen to exit. Is this still the case?

Was it ever the case? Media reports confirmed EY was reviewing its holding but that was a while back so presumably they've settled on at least a temporary hold. HNA I think was just a rumour, but a logical one. Unless you need cash quick smart it would be an odd thing to do to sell when the price is so low. Though given the structure of the holdings with only - I think - 8% in free float, anyone hoping for more would have to likely pay a bit of a premium.

What really should happen is a premium offered to existing free float shareholders and a delisting to take the company private. The share market listing really is not necessary.

Mostly it seemed to be ANet speculation. Though I've said similar things in the past only for the literal opposite to happen the next day. So perhaps tomorrow will be fire sale day.

SCFlyer

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:59 am

Privatisation was last discussed in the VA boardroom in February 2018, and was voted on. None of the major shareholders were in favour of it.

For VA to go private would require a shareholder (either an existing shareholder or a new player outside of the current shareholding register) to initiate a "take over", which is extremely unlikely for the foreseeable future.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4z22j.html

SYDSpotter

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:12 am

SCFlyer wrote:

For VA to go private would require a shareholder (either an existing shareholder or a new player outside of the current shareholding register) to initiate a "take over", which is extremely unlikely for the foreseeable future.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4z22j.html

There is no "takeover" that needs to be initiated, it just requires majority approval by major and minor shareholders to carry out the privatisation. The article quotes the chairperson as saying the major shareholders (EY, SQ, etc) were all in opposition to the decision to privatise. What it would require was either a new investor to snap up the ~9% of that is not owned by the major shareholders and/or each major shareholder to up their shareholding by a few % points to mop up the remaining 9%.

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport ... 417-h0yvso
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

tullamarine

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Velocity7 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
That's acheiveable with a 787, but El Al's fleet are heavier than standard production models due to the extra security requirements.

Interesting, didn't know that. Pardon my ignorance but what extra security requirements do they have that make them heavier?

Understandably LY has always been very quiet about what they add to their planes but it is widely speculated that they do add some features such as devices capable of confusing heat seeking missiles as well as extra cockpit security measures. Such changes would add weight though I have no idea how much.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

oskarclare

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:00 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ateposted/

Photo Cred TM

Etihad operated a 787-10 yesterday in lieu of the normal -9 due to it believed to have gone tech. First EY 78X into BNE.

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 pm

oskarclare wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49135831358/in/dateposted/

Photo Cred TM

Etihad operated a 787-10 yesterday in lieu of the normal -9 due to it believed to have gone tech. First EY 78X into BNE.

Wow, i thought that route was too long for a 787-10!

tullamarine

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 pm

travelhound wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49135831358/in/dateposted/

Photo Cred TM

They may have load managed the plane (removed cargo/blocked seats etc) westbound so it could do it.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

qf002

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:54 pm

travelhound wrote:

Probably half empty which would have helped.

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:30 pm

United have said that the 78X is beating expectations in service. There has been chatter in the United fleet thread that range in actual service is better than advertised.

And yes, this flight definitely wouldn't have been full.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

moa999

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:58 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Privatisation was last discussed in the VA boardroom in February 2018, and was voted on. None of the major shareholders were in favour of it.

One or two shareholders seeking out to the others (or institutional shareholders) is also different to privatisation.

Privatisation likely also makes the current VA Intl structure harder to justify.

Sydscott

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:38 am

moa999 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

One or two shareholders seeking out to the others (or institutional shareholders) is also different to privatisation.

Privatisation likely also makes the current VA Intl structure harder to justify.

Lets be frank here, the VA International structure is a fiction designed to legally and technically allow that division to operate but allow Virgin, which is substantially a foreign company, to fund the operations. A privatisation would put hold to the fiction that VA International is majority Australian owned once and for all.

SCFlyer

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:18 am

I can't recall, but how did Ansett manage to structure their international division to ensure they kept their international rights (Which was only to HKG, KIX, DPS and NAN at the time of the NZ takeover) despite being a 100% subsidiary of NZ at the time.

From memory AN-i was 51% owned by "institutional investors", whilst the other 49% was owned by NZ. Am open to correction on this one.

Obzerva

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:23 am

Sydscott wrote:
moa999 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Lets be frank here, the VA International structure is a fiction designed to legally and technically allow that division to operate but allow Virgin, which is substantially a foreign company, to fund the operations. A privatisation would put hold to the fiction that VA International is majority Australian owned once and for all.

And if VA can get away with it they would be crazy not to.

A quick inspection of how much tax QF pays shows that airlines will use what they can.

tullamarine

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:31 am

Sydscott wrote:
moa999 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

But would we want a situation where all AU international travel rights vest in Qantas? I think not; they do not behave like a charity or necessarily in the national good and would milk such a scenario to the cost of the Australian consumer.

moa999

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:28 am

Obzerva wrote:
A quick inspection of how much tax QF pays shows that airlines will use what they can.

FY19 and FY18, QAN's effective tax rate has been 29.5% - so they have pretty much been paying full tax the last two years.
Before this they had some accumulated losses to use up.
Think in their report they said through income tax and GST and various other taxes they paid/collected over $3bn.

tullamarine wrote:
But would we want a situation where all AU international travel rights vest in Qantas?.

The competition comes from the international carriers. If VA Int went away I don't think it would make a substantial difference.

And non-issue if they found a proper local investor for the VA Int division, and much like Qantas with the various Jetstars. Could probably avoid much disclosure as well.

Sydscott

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:53 am

Obzerva wrote:

I'd also remind you that Virgin pays no tax as well and has a very large amount of tax losses. So that's a moot point!

tullamarine wrote:
Sydscott wrote:moa999 wrote:SCFlyer wrote:Privatisation was last discussed in the VA boardroom in February 2018, and was voted on. None of the major shareholders were in favour of it.One or two shareholders seeking out to the others (or institutional shareholders) is also different to privatisation.Privatisation likely also makes the current VA Intl structure harder to justify.Lets be frank here, the VA International structure is a fiction designed to legally and technically allow that division to operate but allow Virgin, which is substantially a foreign company, to fund the operations. A privatisation would put hold to the fiction that VA International is majority Australian owned once and for all.But would we want a situation where all AU international travel rights vest in Qantas? I think not; they do not behave like a charity or necessarily in the national good and would milk such a scenario to the cost of the Australian consumer.

Realistically QF's biggest competition comes from SQ and the Middle Eastern Carriers. There isn't anything in Virgins International network that can't be almost immediately replaced by someone else.

SCFlyer wrote:
I can't recall, but how did Ansett manage to structure their international division to ensure they kept their international rights (Which was only to HKG, KIX, DPS and NAN at the time of the NZ takeover) despite being a 100% subsidiary of NZ at the time. From memory AN-i was 51% owned by "institutional investors", whilst the other 49% was owned by NZ. Am open to correction on this one.

You recall correctly. Ansett International was a separately owned and operated entity with Australian Insitutional Investors owning 51%.

The problem with Virgin Internationals ownership structure is that it's mightly unclear both who owns Virgin International AND who actually controls it. That's deliberate because in order to fly under Australia's Air Services Agreements that entity needs to be majority Australian owned and when you review the Financial Statements and Ownership records of the tree of entities that control them it is very unclear who the majority Australian Shareholders are. Moreso when you consider the makeup of the Virgin Share Register.

SCFlyer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:21 am

Although this may not affect VA that much despite being a codeshare partner, HX are ending their remaining "long-haul" operations and will largely be a regional short-haul international airline.

I wonder how long before HX gets their "plug pulled".

https://onemileatatime.com/hong-kong-ai ... l-flights/

patrickjp93

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:33 am

I guess if Virgin died off I'd root for Delta to come in on the U.S. routes. Either that or more through-traffic via Aukland, though I really wish the Kiwis would fix their laws so international travelers didn't have to clear customs there to make a connection to the U.S. or elsewhere. That's a bit dumb.
Last edited by patrickjp93 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

vhebb

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:36 am

Anyone know the fate of the JQ Dash-Q300s from NZ? Will they return to QantasLink or be retired?

patrickjp93

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:37 am

vhebb wrote:
Anyone know the fate of the JQ Dash-Q300s from NZ? Will they return to QantasLink or be retired?

Pretty sure they'll return to Qantas. They're a bit young to retire, and there's not a good replacement option at the moment.

DavidByrne

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
I guess if Virgin died off I'd root for Delta to come in on the U.S. routes. Either that or more through-traffic via Aukland, though I really wish the Kiwis would fix their laws so international transmitters didn't have to clear customs there to make a connection to the U.S. or elsewhere. That's a bit dumb.

What on earth are you talking about? People heading for the USA via AKL don’t have to clear customs in AKL and never have. The status quo is what attracts several hundred people to travel Australia to the USA on NZ each day right now.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

SCFlyer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:45 am

DavidByrne wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
I guess if Virgin died off I'd root for Delta to come in on the U.S. routes. Either that or more through-traffic via Aukland, though I really wish the Kiwis would fix their laws so international transmitters didn't have to clear customs there to make a connection to the U.S. or elsewhere. That's a bit dumb.

What on earth are you talking about? People heading for the USA via AKL don’t have to clear customs in AKL and never have. The status quo is what attracts several hundred people to travel Australia to the USA on NZ each day right now.

In addition, most of the AU-NZ-USA travellers are primarily of low yield/leisure/VFR variety. Most high-yielding/business travellers that take the non-stop flights on QF/AA, VA/DL and UA.
Although DL entering the NZ market is unlikely for the foreseeable future, the only possible routes DL could enter 'if' they had wanted to enter NZ would've really been either ATL-AKL or SEA-AKL, likely with a VA codeshare.

patrickjp93

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:46 am

DavidByrne wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

Okay, last year I flew BNE-AKL-IAH and I had to have my passport checked and electronically tagged making the connection. If that's not clearing customs, then :confused:

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/infor ... l%20flight

patrickjp93

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:48 am

SCFlyer wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

In addition, most of the AU-NZ-USA travellers are primarily of low yield/leisure/VFR variety. Most high-yielding/business travellers that take the non-stop flights on QF/AA, VA/DL and UA.
Although DL entering the NZ market is unlikely for the foreseeable future, the only possible routes DL could enter 'if' they had wanted to enter NZ would've really been either ATL-AKL or SEA-AKL, likely with a VA codeshare.

I could've phrased that first comment better. More flights from ANZ through Auckland and on to the U.S. if none of the AM3 wanted to step in. In terms of clearing U.S. customs and connecting domestically, Seattle is definitely a cut above LAX and SFO, just unfortunately out of the way to fly back from the NJ/NY area, much as I loved flying AC out of BNE.

DavidByrne

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:53 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
Okay, last year I flew BNE-AKL-IAH and I had to have my passport checked and electronically tagged making the connection. If that's not clearing customs, then :confused:

You may have had the airline check your passport to make sure you were entitled to enter the USA but that’s absolutely nothing to do with customs. Or immigration, for that matter.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

patrickjp93

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 am

DavidByrne wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

You may have had the airline check your passport to make sure you were entitled to enter the USA but that’s absolutely nothing to do with customs. Or immigration, for that matter.

I mean I filled out the card from the flight and handed that over to a guy in a police uniform so that's what I interpreted that as. I was beyond tired that week though, so my bad I guess. Definitely felt like clearing customs.

VHZNE

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:46 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
vhebb wrote:

Pretty sure they'll return to Qantas. They're a bit young to retire, and there's not a good replacement option at the moment.

The first one is already at TSV for repainting.

smi0006

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:09 am

VHZNE wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
vhebb wrote:

any increases in regional flying flagged with them returning back to AU?

I know it’s cost prohibitive and the Q300 is probs too big, but I’d love a Southeast milk run - MEL-Albury-Merimbula-Moruya-SYD like Rex used to. Along with a return of Wollongong-MEL.

downdata

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 am

patrickjp93 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

I mean I filled out the card from the flight and handed that over to a guy in a police uniform so that's what I interpreted that as. I was beyond tired that week though, so my bad I guess. Definitely felt like clearing customs.

Given your were on an aussie passport, might you have inadvertently entered nz borders and then back out through customs?

EK413

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:54 am

VHZNE wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
vhebb wrote:

EK413 wrote:
The 1st JQ Regional Dash 8 returning to QFlink will be VHTQK and is scheduled to ferry today AKL-NLK-BNE.

Aircraft will then ferry BNE-TSV for repaint.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app Qantas Fleet Thread - 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VH-TQK returned for repaint on the 21st November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 am

downdata wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Given your were on an aussie passport, might you have inadvertently entered nz borders and then back out through customs?

Sounds like it.

On my international to international transit flights through AKL, the card was not required to be completed (only those entering NZ required it) and it was just a security check required to go from arrivals to departures.

The US bound flights also had enhanced passenger screening procedures in place, but no card was required to be completed for that either. Passports are checked at that point, but that’s to be expected.

The process was certainly far smoother than had been described in his post.

aerokiwi

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:34 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
downdata wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

Sounds like it.

On my international to international transit flights through AKL, the card was not required to be completed (only those entering NZ required it) and it was just a security check required to go from arrivals to departures.

The US bound flights also had enhanced passenger screening procedures in place, but no card was required to be completed for that either. Passports are checked at that point, but that’s to be expected.

And if you're not on an Australian passport, I'm told you'll need a transit visa now. I can't imagine that's going to help NZ draw Australian traffic bound for the US. Might be wrong though but friends living in Oz on British passports ran into this, supposedly.

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am

aerokiwi wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
downdata wrote:

Sounds like it.

And if you're not on an Australian passport, I'm told you'll need a transit visa now. I can't imagine that's going to help NZ draw Australian traffic bound for the US. Might be wrong though but friends living in Oz on British passports ran into this, supposedly.

I do recall seeing that coming in after my last flight via NZ in August.

It does create a few additional headaches for some, but from my understanding it sounds similar to an ETSA which is used to enter to US for approved countries. The only benefit for Australian passport holders is that we are exempt, but I must admit didn’t research it in depth after I saw that.

smi0006

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 am

aerokiwi wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
downdata wrote:

Sounds like it.

NZeTA is a new travel authors for all visa waver countries- completed for all landing and transit passengers. It’s $9 an can be completed on a smart phone or PC. Landing customers also pay $30 international visitors levy to fund tourist infrastructure in NZ, which is buckling.

Implement by the government has been poor, but let’s see how it holds up for unsuspecting tourists over summer. At $9 and via phone doubt it will deter too many pax.

A bigger concern for NZ and Auckland is the increasing non-stop options ex-AU hat will sap its traffic- of all yields.

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:09 pm

smi0006 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

Sounds like it.

NZeTA is a new travel authors for all visa waver countries- completed for all landing and transit passengers. It’s $9 an can be completed on a smart phone or PC. Landing customers also pay $30 international visitors levy to fund tourist infrastructure in NZ, which is buckling.

Implement by the government has been poor, but let’s see how it holds up for unsuspecting tourists over summer. At $9 and via phone doubt it will deter too many pax.

A bigger concern for NZ and Auckland is the increasing non-stop options ex-AU hat will sap its traffic- of all yields.

Non-stop flights from Australian markets to North and South America will create challenges, but so far NZ (the airline) has proved to be quite resilient.

Launching ORD and soon NYC gives it strength in its overall offering, which still will appeal to many out there, including myself. The experience transiting in AKL was easy and far more enjoyable than a SYD or BNE transfer on competing routes.

patrickjp93

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:36 pm

downdata wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

U.S. passport, but let's not keep this going. If I did extra work and just misinterpreted out of exhaustion that day, no skin off my nose. Could still be streamlined a la HKG/SIN, but oh well.

Either way, if VA went up in smoke, I'd happily welcome Delta taking up direct service to LAX/SEA/PHX, or I'd be totally happy having ANZ take those slots and funnel people through Auckland if a 5th freedom right couldn't be established.

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm

patrickjp93 wrote:
downdata wrote:
patrickjp93 wrote:

U.S. passport, but let's not keep this going. If I did extra work and just misinterpreted out of exhaustion that day, no skin off my nose. Could still be streamlined a la HKG/SIN, but oh well.

Either way, if VA went up in smoke, I'd happily welcome Delta taking up direct service to LAX/SEA/PHX, or I'd be totally happy having ANZ take those slots and funnel people through Auckland if a 5th freedom right couldn't be established.

All good but I honestly don’t think anything needed streamlining based on my previous experience.

Whether or not that has become more complicated since the new visa requirements for transit pax is another story, but overall seemed quite straight forward to me.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation - December 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1435975
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos