Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ32
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines to expand codeshare

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Under the agreement, SIA and SilkAir plan to codeshare on MAS flights to 16 destinations in Malaysia - Alor Setar, Bintulu, Johor Bahru, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Kuching, Labuan, Langkawi, Miri, Penang, Sandakan, Sibu, Tawau

The deal will also allow MAS to progressively codeshare on flights between Singapore and Malaysia, Europe, South Africa, and other destinations.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bu ... e-12047542

chunhimlai

Re: Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines to expand codeshare

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:07 pm

Any potential to reform Malaysia–Singapore Airlines?

SQ32
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:17 pm

Monies will go to MH in future, if she feeds SQ long haul, especially to Europe and USA. Better to work with SQ, rather than losing revenue streams to Gulf and NE Asia carriers.

zakuivcustom

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 pm

Next step = Temasek Holdings buying MH and form Singapore-Malaysia Airlines? (No, not Malaysia-Singapore Airlines...)

They can then demolish Changi and fill in Johor Strait around Woodlands area and build a true dual-nation airport. :duck: :duck:

chonetsao

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:25 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Next step = Temasek Holdings buying MH and form Singapore-Malaysia Airlines? (No, not Malaysia-Singapore Airlines...)

They can then demolish Changi and fill in Johor Strait around Woodlands area and build a true dual-nation airport. :duck: :duck:

Not going to happen.

the current bidder for MH, as far as I understand, is CZ, QR and JL.

Even if Temasek bought MH, it would be a separate company outside SQ group. It is a big financial liability to SQ group and it is too much a mess legality wise.

There is nobody else knows Malaysian corruption and scams better than Malaysians and Singaporeans. Singaporeans will continue to be proud Singaporeans that would never see Changi closed for a mega airport in Malaysia.

zakuivcustom

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:33 pm

chonetsao wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Not going to happen.

the current bidder for MH, as far as I understand, is CZ, QR and JL.

Even if Temasek bought MH, it would be a separate company outside SQ group. It is a big financial liability to SQ group and it is too much a mess legality wise.

There is nobody else knows Malaysian corruption and scams better than Malaysians and Singaporeans. Singaporeans will continue to be proud Singaporeans that would never see Changi closed for a mega airport in Malaysia.

You took my comment too seriously :).

More seriously, I don't know how much this codeshare does much for SQ anyway. Any viable Malaysian market for connection via SIN is already connected anyway.

Coal

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:44 am

SQ32 wrote:
Under the agreement, SIA and SilkAir plan to codeshare on MAS flights to 16 destinations in Malaysia - Alor Setar, Bintulu, Johor Bahru, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Kuching, Labuan, Langkawi, Miri, Penang, Sandakan, Sibu, Tawau

The deal will also allow MAS to progressively codeshare on flights between Singapore and Malaysia, Europe, South Africa, and other destinations.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bu ... e-12047542

Most of the routes, e.g. Alor Star, JB, etc. are presumably on MH metal from KUL. Don't fully get some of these, e.g. JB. What's it in for SQ to put it's code on a MH flight from KUL to JHB? You can just take a cross-border car and be there in an hour.

Is there a chance that MH launches new routes from SIN to some of the cities mentioned here, with SQ/MI codeshare?

One good news is FFP tie up. For those on the SIN-KUL shuttle this will provide more flexibility to book MH flights directly (i.e. non-SQ codeshare) and still earn KF miles.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:48 am

chunhimlai wrote:

Will MH leave OW to join SA if it got reformed?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

SQ32
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 am

The best way forward at the time moment for MH is capturing as much Malaysia-Europe, Malaysia-N.America revenue and customer as possible. She can then improve her financial health, and then base on these customer base, start direct connection.

MH has no direct access to these cities. Why not milk it, with help of SQ, rather than forgoing it to ME3 and North East Asian airlines.

Meanwhile SQ benefit by getting regional feed.

juliuswong

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 am

SQ789 wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Will MH leave OW to join SA if it got reformed?

No, I don't think they will. MH has spent considerable amount of money is promoting OW on their hard and soft product and upgrade their services as per OW standard. In addition, I don't think Star Alliance would be keen to add another SEA-based airline into their fold. TG and SQ are good enough to cover SEA.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

vadodara

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Back to Malayan Airlines days!

SQ probably would want nothing with it!

flee

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:39 am

The most significant part of this announcement is for the KUL-SIN route. The route will be jointly operated by the two airline groups. This enables better scheduling and optimisation for their other codeshare flights. It should reduce operational costs for both. This is like the shuttle service that they operated before the ASEAN open skies ended it.

Singapore Airlines may also reduce the number of flights to KUL and use those SIN slots for higher yielding destinations instead. For Malaysia Airlines, having access to SQ's long haul network will probably mean that they have a competitive product to sell to compete with the ME3. This may also spell the end of some of their code shares with EK.

peterinlisbon

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 am

I think this is just a very limited agreement to connect MH's domestic network to places around the world that MH doesn't fly to anyway via Singapore. It makes sense for them both I suppose. I don't think it will go further than that.

peterinlisbon

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 am

I think this is just a very limited agreement to connect MH's domestic network to places around the world that MH doesn't fly to anyway via Singapore. It makes sense for them both I suppose. I don't think it will go further than that.

flee

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 am

peterinlisbon wrote:

We will have to wait and see - they have also worked on an MRO agreement whereby SQ is now taking advantage of MH's spare maintenance capacity. The first job, an SQ A380, was at KUL for maintenance two or three weeks ago.

jeffrey0032j

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:17 am

vadodara wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Back to Malayan Airlines days!

SQ probably would want nothing with it!

Malayan Airways and subsequently MSA were based in Singapore, though, and the old head office was passed down to SQ.

LAXintl

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Singapore competition authorities will review the proposed SQ-MH partnership to see if the deal "infringes section 34 of the Competition Act, which prohibits tie-ups that prevent, restrict or distort competition within any market in Singapore."

Airlines say their deal is "unlikely" to be anti-competitive as the overlapping direct routes will "continue to face intense competition" from low-cost carriers and alternative modes of transport like cars and coaches.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... a-airlines
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... lines-deal
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

blooc350

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:00 pm

All of these people thinking the two will merge are CLEARLY not Malaysian or Singaporean...............

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:26 am

blooc350 wrote:
All of these people thinking the two will merge are CLEARLY not Malaysian or Singaporean...............

Well, stranger things have happened before!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos