Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Update on WN’a facilities at EWR?

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:45 pm

Well Southwest officially left EWR today but there has been no word on who is taking over the gates and counters. F9 is using terminal B while WN was in A, does this mean the possible expansion of B6 at EWR?

jerseyewr777

Re: Update on WN’a facilities at EWR?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:34 am

Good question! I'm thinking we can definitely see expansion from jetBlue!!

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:23 pm

jerseyewr777 wrote:
Good question! I'm thinking we can definitely see expansion from jetBlue!!

I would assume that’s the move too but I can also see United trying to sneak in.

MIflyer12

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Are the facilities at end of lease such that they're going back into the pool to be allocated by PANYNJ, or is WN going to lease them out?

airplanedriver6

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Perhaps nobody will get those gates? Isn't Terminal A slated for demolition in the near term with the new Terminal One opening in 2022?

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com

IMHO, the real issue will be the gate allotments of Terminal One when it opens.
Last edited by airplanedriver6 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:30 pm

airplanedriver6 wrote:
Perhaps nobody will get those gates? Isn't Terminal A slated for demolition in the near term with the new terminal opening in 2022?

I would find it hard to believe a heavily gate constrained airport like EWR would leave 3 gates dormant.

STT757

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:52 pm

In 18 months those gates are going to be torn down and all domestic carriers moved to the new Terminal one. What will be more interesting will be the results of the Port Authority’s current lease negotiations with carriers for space at the new Terminal One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

WeatherPilot

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Someone will pick up those gates just to get space for the transition to the new Terminal One.

kiowa

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
airplanedriver6 wrote:
Perhaps nobody will get those gates? Isn't Terminal A slated for demolition in the near term with the new terminal opening in 2022?

I would find it hard to believe a heavily gate constrained airport like EWR would leave 3 gates dormant.

Can the airport authority get money from them? They will not go unused.

STT757

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Checking the latest OAG thread B6 does have some adds from EWR, they have added one additional daily frequency each to MCO, TPA, SJU, STI. Not enough to justify three additional gates, but it’s a start.

I think B6 could add PUJ, CUN, LAS, AUA, NAS and possibly MSY, LAX/ LGB, SFO/OAK.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FARmd90

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:40 pm

STT757 wrote:
Checking the latest OAG thread B6 does have some adds from EWR, they have added one additional daily frequency each to MCO, TPA, SJU, STI. Not enough to justify three additional gates, but it’s a start.

I think B6 could add PUJ, CUN, LAS, AUA, NAS and possibly MSY, LAX/ LGB, SFO/OAK.

It would be nice to see B6 try some new routes that they don’t do from EWR (FL and Islands) see if they can make LAS, OAK, LAX and SFO work. LAX and SFO would be great mint experiment if they had the gates on the west coast as well to add flights.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 pm

STT757 wrote:

I agree with this almost 100%, would you think they are just waiting for their schedule to be extended to the summer season? Maybe possibly their is some issues acquiring the new gates?

jfklganyc

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:56 pm

I dont know if they want or need all 3 gates

They have 4 gates now

I see LAX 3 daily. I see a few more island flights.

I would be hard pressed to come up with 30 more flights to justify 3 more gates.

dampfnudel

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 pm

3 additional gates for B6 is too much unless there’s a major expansion in the cards for B6 and I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Besides like several people have said, a new terminal is coming so...
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 am

Rumor has it Air Canada has jumped on the left over gates, is it possible that we see them expanding soon?

DL747400

Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:47 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Rumor has it Air Canada has jumped on the left over gates, is it possible that we see them expanding soon?

Hmm.... AC taking on 3-4 additional gates at EWR, which is a UA fortress hub AND both UA and AC are members of the Star Alliance? That would seem to catch the attention of DOJ/DOT, if true.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

len90

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 am

Air canada did take over the A14 and A15. Flew in on 11/16 to see their signage etc. Rumor has it b6 will get a fifth gate at EWR which they could definitely utilize. They do a lot of shuffling with their operation on the current four gate setup. Add in one weather delay or mechanical delay and it has its effects. B6 is making moves at EWR. They brought in a 321NEO today for a roundtrip to TPA. Schedule shows the 321 becoming a more common feature at EWR.

All of the WN equipment was gone from Terminal A pretty much right after the airline left.
Len90

Dominion301

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Perhaps AC moving to these gates? However, are any of the now ex-WN gates widebody capable as AC flies 787s daily to EWR? AC-UA connections are EWR aren’t that great where AC currently is. AC need a minimum of 3 gates for their EWR ops that serve YYZ, YOW, YYC, YUL and YVR.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 am

Now we just need F9 to make the next round of flights bookable and EWR will no longer be suffering from WN’s departure.

BanjoYoshi

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 am

NK has added some new flights RSW and upcoming SJU, BNA ,AUS I see them adding more because at LGA there is only 1 gate.

SWADawg

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:01 pm

WN will probably return and request space at the new Terminal 1 when it opens in the next few years.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:08 pm

SWADawg wrote:
WN will probably return and request space at the new Terminal 1 when it opens in the next few years.

I don’t know about that, WN doesn’t really fit the market around here. No one is willing to do a separate search just for WN and quite honestly a lot of people don’t know much about them!

len90 wrote:
Air canada did take over the A14 and A15. Flew in on 11/16 to see their signage etc. Rumor has it b6 will get a fifth gate at EWR which they could definitely utilize. They do a lot of shuffling with their operation on the current four gate setup. Add in one weather delay or mechanical delay and it has its effects. B6 is making moves at EWR. They brought in a 321NEO today for a roundtrip to TPA. Schedule shows the 321 becoming a more common feature at EWR.

All of the WN equipment was gone from Terminal A pretty much right after the airline left.

I hope that rumor of B6 getting a fifth gate is true, that should allow them to maybe max out at around 40 departures a day. By any chance do you know how trustworthy the source of that rumor is?

Cedar

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:31 pm

To answer everyone's question:

Those gates will remain dormant. The plan for WN before announcing their departure, was to move to Term B to begin the phases of demolition of Term A. With WN departing now, and F9 coming into take their place - instead of just plugging them into Term A where WN was, only to make them move again in a couple of months - the PANYNJ just put them in Term B where WN would have gone.

So the gates at Term A will remain unoccupied as they will soon be demolished.

Cedar

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Cedar wrote:

Those gates will remain dormant. The plan for WN before announcing their departure, was to move to Term B to begin the phases of demolition of Term A. With WN departing now, and F9 coming into take their place - instead of just plugging them into Term A where WN was, only to make them move again in a couple of months - the PANYNJ just put them in Term B where WN would have gone.

Cedar

I find this hard to believe. Where exactly was WN going to go in terminal B? And if this is in fact true, that means B6 and AC are both moving to terminal B? Where are they going to fit without drastically changing their schedules?

tphuang

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:55 pm

B6 is adding flights that they can't possibly fit into their existing gate. They got at least access to another gate.

T5towbar

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:24 pm

No one is going to use Gate 10. It was the odd WN gate in the UA/WN deal (which WN used Gates 10; 14 & 15). That used to be the AirTran gate once. Gate 18 is supposed to be the CUTE gate, but B6 is using that now. I think that everybody will stay status quo is because the BMU situation in A1 isn't the greatest. (B6 still uses the BMU in A2, on the other side of UAX), and probably can't handle the volume if more others came in. AC is the only one that uses the BMU in A1. WN spent money on refurbishing the offices for their ops and breakrooms, but the BMU is so old, you can only do so much with it. So it probably stay like it is till the new terminal is finished.

Gate 17 is the only widebody capable gate in A1 at present. (16 & 17 used to be widebody capable from the old UA days)

B6 & AC will still be slated to move into the new Terminal One, along with F9; AS & NK. That is definitely what I've heard. Of course AA and UA with UAX will be there as well. The way the construction is working, the new terminal can open and the people in A1 can move right in first and demo will begin as well, so things won't be disruptive. Gate count still not announced though. All kinds of rumors floating around on who will get what.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

OzarkD9S

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:33 pm

T5towbar wrote:

B6 & AC will still be slated to move into the new Terminal One.

AC not staying closer to UA? Odd, I wonder how many connections AC/UA are moving through EWR? Must not be enough to worry about convenience.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

T5towbar

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
T5towbar wrote:

B6 & AC will still be slated to move into the new Terminal One.

AC not staying closer to UA? Odd, I wonder how many connections AC/UA are moving through EWR? Must not be enough to worry about convenience.

There are a lot of AC/UA-UAX connections that flow between the two terminals. UA/UAX will be in the new terminal with AC so connections will be smoother than from A1 to A2. UA has dedicated A-C and Interline runners to make sure that those bags connect (along with LH and other Star Alliance) between the terminals A B and C.

OzarkD9S

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:50 pm

T5towbar wrote:

There are a lot of AC/UA-UAX connections that flow between the two terminals. UA/UAX will be in the new terminal with AC so connections will be smoother than from A1 to A2. UA has dedicated A-C and Interline runners to make sure that those bags connect (along with LH and other Star Alliance) between the terminals A B and C.

Not optimal but doable I suppose. I looked at a connection via EWR STL-PWM once but the connection times plus the bus thingy between A and C turned me off. Not much room for error there so I opted for DL via DTW. Thanks for your input.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

jfklganyc

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:02 am

B6 is up around 8 flights YOY

Obviously, they picked up a gate as they were so maxed out they split one gate into A/B

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:17 am

Seeing that the new T1 will be opened in phases and that Terminal A will be closed in phases, does anyone know how many gates will be split into A or B to accommodate express ops.? This will control how much B6 can expand in the new terminal in my opinion. I also see DL, NK, G4, F9, and SY all making the move, but I could be wrong. That would free up B1.

Cedar

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Cedar wrote:

Cedar

I find this hard to believe. Where exactly was WN going to go in terminal B? And if this is in fact true, that means B6 and AC are both moving to terminal B? Where are they going to fit without drastically changing their schedules?

The Delta leased & occupied space in Term B has changed and been reduced. Being that they no longer are flying international & are not using the gates to a certain amount, the PANYNJ has taken back previously dedicated counter space & 3 gates from them - through their newly negotiated lease contract. This is where WN was going, they were getting dedicated counter & gate space until the Term one is finished.
Also, that does not mean B6 & AC are moving as well - the demolition & construction is being done in phases, so PANYNJ will only need to move 1 or 2 carriers at a time.

Cedar

CobaltScar

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:04 pm

How can WN grow while throwing in the towel in the rich NE part of the country? I can't help but think WN will pick that jetBlue plum one day and in one fell swoop get all the northeast USA (and Caribbean) market they need.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:27 pm

Cedar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Cedar wrote:

Cedar

The Delta leased & occupied space in Term B has changed and been reduced. Being that they no longer are flying international & are not using the gates to a certain amount, the PANYNJ has taken back previously dedicated counter space & 3 gates from them - through their newly negotiated lease contract. This is where WN was going, they were getting dedicated counter & gate space until the Term one is finished.
Also, that does not mean B6 & AC are moving as well - the demolition & construction is being done in phases, so PANYNJ will only need to move 1 or 2 carriers at a time.

Cedar

Who is your source?

len90

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:25 am

Delta is sharing B1 with NK right now. I do think NK on B1 has allowed them to grow nicely as they have a bit more space in that WN area. I'll be back in A1 on Friday when I return from my quick trip. Trying out F9 for the first time tomorrow; will be my first trip on them and my first trip through B2.
Len90

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 am

len90 wrote:
Delta is sharing B1 with NK right now. I do think NK on B1 has allowed them to grow nicely as they have a bit more space in that WN area. I'll be back in A1 on Friday when I return from my quick trip. Trying out F9 for the first time tomorrow; will be my first trip on them and my first trip through B2.

I don’t understand where WN was supposed to fit in at B1 especially with NK and DL already there. Plus the move would not make sense since two carriers would still remain in A1. Please keep us updated and enjoy your trip!

T5towbar

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Seeing that the new T1 will be opened in phases and that Terminal A will be closed in phases, does anyone know how many gates will be split into A or B to accommodate express ops.? This will control how much B6 can expand in the new terminal in my opinion. I also see DL, NK, G4, F9, and SY all making the move, but I could be wrong. That would free up B1.

Well the old Terminal A (A1 thru A3) is based on 30 gates.(10 gates per satellite) The new terminal will have 33 (and expandable to about 40 or so depending on aircraft size) Even though UA presently has 16 Express gates in a 10 gate footprint based on mainline (320/737 or 757/321) type of aircraft. If I'm correct, the UA gates will handle multiple aircraft from a E145; E170/75; CRJ550; and 737/320 when weather cancels UAX ops. And IMHO the optimal location to run the UA ops would be at the head house of the terminal. The design of the new terminal allow for a much better traffic flow, so planes can arrive and depart easier. A/B (split gates) can have one side shut down to accommodate mainline aircraft (it is presently done at A2 when UAX cancelled for weather - mainline arrivals / RONS can be parked) With the CRJ550 coming, and some of the 145's going elsewhere (mainly IAD), the 5 gate E145 hardstand ops at Terminal C (130W-Z) can move and consolidate as well. One less bus trip for connects.

The impediment for B6 to expand more is not just gates. It's slots. Noticed WN's slots weren't given to anybody else..... It's also congestion issues at peak hours as well.

jplatts

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
How can WN grow while throwing in the towel in the rich NE part of the country? I can't help but think WN will pick that jetBlue plum one day and in one fell swoop get all the northeast USA (and Caribbean) market they need.

WN still has opportunities to further expand out of Eastern U.S. airports outside of the NYC metro area such as CVG, ORF, and RIC that have a smaller WN presence than most of the other major U.S. metro areas.

CobaltScar

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm

jplatts wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

WN still has opportunities to further expand out of Eastern U.S. airports outside of the NYC metro area such as CVG, ORF, and RIC that have a smaller WN presence than most of the other major U.S. metro areas.

None of those are in the North East. How can a major domestic carrier continue with such a weak presence in the most densely populated and richest region of the USA? All their other routes to the middle of nowhere will continue to face pressure by ULCC and future ULCC (moxy). Something has got to give or stagnation will take over.

tphuang

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
jplatts wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

None of those are in the North East. How can a major domestic carrier continue with such a weak presence in the most densely populated and richest region of the USA? All their other routes to the middle of nowhere will continue to face pressure by ULCC and future ULCC (moxy). Something has got to give or stagnation will take over.

So what you are saying is WN's biggest threat is an ULCC like NK and it should buy out NK like it did with Airtrans.

CobaltScar

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:46 pm

tphuang wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
jplatts wrote:

So what you are saying is WN's biggest threat is an ULCC like NK and it should buy out NK like it did with Airtrans.

What good would that do? , it would just make room for a new head on the hydra. Except even stronger via lower costs via year zero pay charts. The trick is to gain control of the pie on the table, not continue to knock people out of the seats around the table.

jplatts

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 pm

tphuang wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

While I agree that ULCC's like NK do affect yields and profits on some WN nonstop routes within the contiguous U.S., WN still operates many nonstop routes within the contiguous U.S. that do not have any ULCC competition.

There are also some WN FF's in markets with a significant NK presence such as ATL, BWI/DCA/IAD, MDW/ORD, DAL/DFW, FLL/MIA, HOU/IAH, LAS, MCO, and TPA who will avoid NK at all costs due to negative reviews of NK, poor customer service by NK ticketing agents, poor customer service by NK gate agents, and restrictions on itinerary changes on NK.

There is no need for WN to merge with NK or another ULCC since WN is currently still profitable, even with competition from NK and other ULCC's on some of its nonstop routes.

maps4ltd

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:55 pm

T5towbar wrote:
No one is going to use Gate 10. It was the odd WN gate in the UA/WN deal (which WN used Gates 10; 14 & 15). That used to be the AirTran gate once. Gate 18 is supposed to be the CUTE gate, but B6 is using that now. I think that everybody will stay status quo is because the BMU situation in A1 isn't the greatest. (B6 still uses the BMU in A2, on the other side of UAX), and probably can't handle the volume if more others came in. AC is the only one that uses the BMU in A1. WN spent money on refurbishing the offices for their ops and breakrooms, but the BMU is so old, you can only do so much with it. So it probably stay like it is till the new terminal is finished.

Gate 17 is the only widebody capable gate in A1 at present. (16 & 17 used to be widebody capable from the old UA days)

B6 & AC will still be slated to move into the new Terminal One, along with F9; AS & NK. That is definitely what I've heard. Of course AA and UA with UAX will be there as well. The way the construction is working, the new terminal can open and the people in A1 can move right in first and demo will begin as well, so things won't be disruptive. Gate count still not announced though. All kinds of rumors floating around on who will get what.

What's a BMU?
Delta Gold Medallion

HunterATL

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 pm

T5towbar wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

The impediment for B6 to expand more is not just gates. It's slots. Noticed WN's slots weren't given to anybody else..... It's also congestion issues at peak hours as well.

EWR is not slot restricted.

tphuang

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 pm

it's not slot restricted, but FAA is basically not allowing new flights to be added for certain hours of the day.

jfklganyc

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:25 pm

B6 is up 8 flights YOY

EWR has no slots

T5towbar

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
T5towbar wrote:

What's a BMU?

A BMU is "Baggage Make Up". Better know as the Bagroom.
The belts from Check-In counter areas; to the TSA screening areas; to the actual carousels (they have individual carousels instead of piers) where the bags are dropped to be "made up" for individual flights are very old and continuously jamming due to volume and other factors. The Port would rather not take the major expense to overhaul it and just wait till the new terminal is done. Terminal A is the oldest terminal and it shows, by continuous jams on some of the belts.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Can anyone confirm that B6 is operating out of gates; 10?, 16A, 16, 17, 18

And AC; 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

len90

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Friday I will be in A1
Len90

T5towbar

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:37 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

B6 is presently operating out of Gates 16; 16A; 17; and 18 (18 is a CUTE gate, but B6 uses it WestJet used to use it in the summer) Gate 17 is a widebody capable gate, so AC uses it for the YVR daily.
AC is using Gates 11; 12; 14 & 15. (14 & 15 were WN's gates, now AC uses them from time to time) 14 thru 17 used to be UA's gates till the merger and satellite swap with B6.
No one is using Gate 10 right now. WN used to operate it, but I don't think that no one else will use it.
There is no Gate 13 at EWR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos