Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
EcoCharlie77
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:53 am

It is confirmed, Iberia (IAG) to buy Air Europa for 500€m to be paid in 2026. Source in Spanish.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/empresas ... 6_2877248/
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1387
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:57 am

Payment deferred for 6 years ?!?! :o
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:04 am

Hmm so 6 years of throwing money at an acquisition, in a time where money making will be really hard and then as a topping, paying €500m in 6 years when the whole thing will be labeled as a big mistake. Sounds about right. IAG would have had the means to actually press Air Europa out of business in the next few years without paying a transaction fee. Now they have to spend money integrating Air Europa during difficult times and pay at the end. I do not see this as a success in the making.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1387
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:07 am

If IAG think this will be a money loser for 6 years, then why are they going ahead with this at all ?
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:13 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If IAG think this will be a money loser for 6 years, then why are they going ahead with this at all ?


Making sure it will not be bought by AFKLM or LH (to a lesser extend). The only reason in my opinion is to secure the Iberian to South American market. It will cost huge amounts of money. And I do not know if AFKLM or LH would have the funds to buy Air Europe but the threat exists, so IAG thinks it can afford this money drain to keep competition out. Thats my oppinion we will see if it is worth it but I can not see how they can increase yield over the next few years enough on the gained routes (or the de facto monopoly) to make it worth it.

Without Covid-19 it was definitely possible but now? It was like the Boeing Embraer JV. Good until 2020, now going forward, I just can not see how an acquisition + integration (what costs huge amounts) will be successful.
 
tobsw
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:47 am

The same journalist (and newspaper) wrote an article 4 weeks ago stating that IAG would by Air Europa with IAG shares. Funnily, one day later, other journalists (and newspapers) dismissed the agreement to buy Air Europa with shares.

Now there's (apparently) a plot twist in the same journalist/newspaper.

Today the same newspaper - in addition to the "exclusive new 500 million deferred purchase", published an article titled:
"The new agreement between IAG and Air Europe: a logical solution to a cuestionable acquisition" - circling around the agreement to buy Air Europa with shares (the same newspaper dismissed that story already).

https://www.elconfidencial.com/mercados ... e_2836727/

Today, they've also published: "IAG and Air Europa: an agreement everyone benefits from, but only one assumes the risk" --- all around their "exclusive" story about the deferred acquisition of Air Europa by IB.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/mercados ... o_2877471/

NO other Spanish newspapers has any news, rumours or updates about the Air Europa transaction.

I'll just wait until IAG fills a SEC filling with the "new" or "updated" agreement.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9442
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Reuters has repeated the El Confidencial outline.

British Airways and Iberia owner IAG has agreed to buy Spain’s Air Europa for 500 million euros ($613 million) with payment deferred until 2026, website El Confidencial reported.
...
For the sale to proceed, the Spanish government must waive its right to appoint two directors to Air Europa’s board, one of the conditions of a 475 million euro state aid package approved last month.


https://www.reuters.com/article/aireuro ... SKBN28S1KC
 
User avatar
julianrv
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Color me skeptical on this one even if international news agencies are echoing the report coming from elconfidencial. They've been doing this kind of 'scoop' reporting for very long time and in the last few months they've had quite a number of articles on this deal and in many cases just dismissing their previous reporting on the topic so I won't be surprised if next week they've another report saying the government has veto'd the operation.

IMHO Air Europa is worth 0 at the moment, it was worth 1000M euros to Iberia last year as it was an excellent opportunity to get rid of a its main competitor but right now the panorama is completely different and I don't see any other airlines neither IAG having an appetite for acquisitions in the current climate.

My favorite part of the report is that the journalist states that the payment for 2026 actually is 500M + interests in a effort to give this more credibility, I wonder what kind of interest rate they should expect in an environment where we're seeing near zero or negatives rates.
 
debonair
Posts: 4208
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:33 pm

I think, better I hope, this merger will happen only with major conditions set by EU competition law. In Spain IAG will have IBERIA, IBERIA Express, Vueling, LEVEL and AirEuropa. And also the Spanish to Latin/South America market will be dominated by only oneworld: LATAM/IBERIA. A gap that neither Volotea (domestically), nor Plus Ultra (Transatlantic) will fill.
So IAG will hopefully think twice to bid millions of Euro in a carrier worth nothing, plus loosing slots etc. worth millions of Euro to fulfil the merger!
 
kelual
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:56 pm

debonair wrote:
I think, better I hope, this merger will happen only with major conditions set by EU competition law. In Spain IAG will have IBERIA, IBERIA Express, Vueling, LEVEL and AirEuropa. And also the Spanish to Latin/South America market will be dominated by only oneworld: LATAM/IBERIA. A gap that neither Volotea (domestically), nor Plus Ultra (Transatlantic) will fill.
So IAG will hopefully think twice to bid millions of Euro in a carrier worth nothing, plus loosing slots etc. worth millions of Euro to fulfil the merger!


Same situation happening in FRA, CDG, AMS, MUC, ZRH, VIE, BRU...
 
Detroit313
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:58 pm

debonair wrote:
I think, better I hope, this merger will happen only with major conditions set by EU competition law. In Spain IAG will have IBERIA, IBERIA Express, Vueling, LEVEL and AirEuropa. And also the Spanish to Latin/South America market will be dominated by only oneworld: LATAM/IBERIA. A gap that neither Volotea (domestically), nor Plus Ultra (Transatlantic) will fill.
So IAG will hopefully think twice to bid millions of Euro in a carrier worth nothing, plus loosing slots etc. worth millions of Euro to fulfil the merger!


Funny how you don't have any issues with AMS, FRA, CDG etc..

Also, LATAM is not oneworld.
Last edited by Detroit313 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
kelual
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:59 pm

tobsw wrote:
The same journalist (and newspaper) wrote an article 4 weeks ago stating that IAG would by Air Europa with IAG shares. Funnily, one day later, other journalists (and newspapers) dismissed the agreement to buy Air Europa with shares.

Now there's (apparently) a plot twist in the same journalist/newspaper.

Today the same newspaper - in addition to the "exclusive new 500 million deferred purchase", published an article titled:
"The new agreement between IAG and Air Europe: a logical solution to a cuestionable acquisition" - circling around the agreement to buy Air Europa with shares (the same newspaper dismissed that story already).

https://www.elconfidencial.com/mercados ... e_2836727/

Today, they've also published: "IAG and Air Europa: an agreement everyone benefits from, but only one assumes the risk" --- all around their "exclusive" story about the deferred acquisition of Air Europa by IB.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/mercados ... o_2877471/

NO other Spanish newspapers has any news, rumours or updates about the Air Europa transaction.

I'll just wait until IAG fills a SEC filling with the "new" or "updated" agreement.


Has IB/IAG officially confirm or deny any of the information from el confidencial in the last month or so?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9442
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:07 pm

julianrv wrote:
I wonder what kind of interest rate they should expect in an environment where we're seeing near zero or negatives rates.


Interest rates reflect risk premiums, not just cost of money. Look at what American and United were paying with their last commercial borrowings before they accepted U.S. Treasury loan facilities.
 
tobsw
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:39 pm

kelual wrote:
tobsw wrote:
The same journalist (and newspaper) wrote an article 4 weeks ago stating that IAG would by Air Europa with IAG shares. Funnily, one day later, other journalists (and newspapers) dismissed the agreement to buy Air Europa with shares.

Now there's (apparently) a plot twist in the same journalist/newspaper.

Today the same newspaper - in addition to the "exclusive new 500 million deferred purchase", published an article titled:
"The new agreement between IAG and Air Europe: a logical solution to a cuestionable acquisition" - circling around the agreement to buy Air Europa with shares (the same newspaper dismissed that story already).

https://www.elconfidencial.com/mercados ... e_2836727/

Today, they've also published: "IAG and Air Europa: an agreement everyone benefits from, but only one assumes the risk" --- all around their "exclusive" story about the deferred acquisition of Air Europa by IB.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/mercados ... o_2877471/

NO other Spanish newspapers has any news, rumours or updates about the Air Europa transaction.

I'll just wait until IAG fills a SEC filling with the "new" or "updated" agreement.


Has IB/IAG officially confirm or deny any of the information from el confidencial in the last month or so?


Nope. But they won't anyway - you know, they trade in the stock market, whenever they reach a (new) agreement, they will inform the stock market, both in London (https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... day-s-news) and also in Madrid, as a "hecho relevante" https://www.bolsamadrid.es/esp/aspx/Emp ... timos.aspx

It's just very interesting how no other news outlets (Expansion, CincoDias,...) have anything remotely similar to whatever the guys in ElConfidencial write.
 
by738
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Dont understand this buyout at all. Anything AE were doing IB/IAG could have just done without all the expense of buying and integrating. It cant all be about expanding South America when BA have essentially culled South America.
IAG should let this go....
 
debonair
Posts: 4208
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:15 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
debonair wrote:
I think, better I hope, this merger will happen only with major conditions set by EU competition law. In Spain IAG will have IBERIA, IBERIA Express, Vueling, LEVEL and AirEuropa. And also the Spanish to Latin/South America market will be dominated by only oneworld: LATAM/IBERIA. A gap that neither Volotea (domestically), nor Plus Ultra (Transatlantic) will fill.
So IAG will hopefully think twice to bid millions of Euro in a carrier worth nothing, plus loosing slots etc. worth millions of Euro to fulfil the merger!


Funny how you don't have any issues with AMS, FRA, CDG etc..

Also, LATAM is not oneworld.


Have I? NO! I never stated my opinion about other aviation markets other than Spain in this thread. So how do you know, that I don't have any issue with AMS, FRA, CDG etc..? Actually I do, bcs I believe in an open market with competition and not monopoly!

Btw. if LATAM is not oneworld, which other alliance they belong to?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3633
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm

debonair wrote:

Btw. if LATAM is not oneworld, which other alliance they belong to?


None. They left Oneworld earlier this year.

They have a strong partnership with Delta instead of American now. While SkyTeam is possible, they may not join any alliance.
 
x1234
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 pm

All this does is increase IAG's domination of Europe-Latin America which is a huge market (Latin Americans don't need a visa for the most part to visit Western Europe).
 
McG1967
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:36 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:18 pm

by738 wrote:
Dont understand this buyout at all. Anything AE were doing IB/IAG could have just done without all the expense of buying and integrating. It cant all be about expanding South America when BA have essentially culled South America.
IAG should let this go....


It makes sense if you look at it from the viewpoint that they have purchased a brand.

The Air Europa brand allows them to have a Europe wide brand that would allow them to consolidate Level, Vuelling and Air Europa all under one brand - Air Europa.
 
tobsw
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:55 pm

McG1967 wrote:
It makes sense if you look at it from the viewpoint that they have purchased a brand.

The Air Europa brand allows them to have a Europe wide brand that would allow them to consolidate Level, Vuelling and Air Europa all under one brand - Air Europa.


Not really. Vueling is way more valuable as a brand compared to Air Europa.

Air Europa, as a brand, -if the purchase happens- is going to disappear.
 
oldJoe
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:31 pm

tobsw wrote:
McG1967 wrote:
It makes sense if you look at it from the viewpoint that they have purchased a brand.

The Air Europa brand allows them to have a Europe wide brand that would allow them to consolidate Level, Vuelling and Air Europa all under one brand - Air Europa.


Not really. Vueling is way more valuable as a brand compared to Air Europa.

Air Europa, as a brand, -if the purchase happens- is going to disappear.


I had some talks with my friends wich know not much about aviation. I told them that I fly Vueling next week. They asked me : you fly a Spanisch airline ?
Yes , I told them and than I will fly Air Europa. They asked me : Is this a new airline because we never heard about them ?
So much for the brand value !
 
debonair
Posts: 4208
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:58 am

Ishrion wrote:
debonair wrote:

Btw. if LATAM is not oneworld, which other alliance they belong to?


None. They left Oneworld earlier this year.


Thank you so much - your help is so much appreciated! I did checked the official homepage of OW and funny enough, you can still select LATAM as member of the alliance from the drop down menu. That's why I thought they are still in the alliance

https://www.oneworld.com/
 
alan3
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:13 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:19 am

debonair wrote:
I think, better I hope, this merger will happen only with major conditions set by EU competition law. In Spain IAG will have IBERIA, IBERIA Express, Vueling, LEVEL and AirEuropa. And also the Spanish to Latin/South America market will be dominated by only oneworld: LATAM/IBERIA. A gap that neither Volotea (domestically), nor Plus Ultra (Transatlantic) will fill.
So IAG will hopefully think twice to bid millions of Euro in a carrier worth nothing, plus loosing slots etc. worth millions of Euro to fulfil the merger!


Is Plus Ultra able to grow or does it want to? Despite their small route map they are the only European competitor on Spain-South American routes. If they could take over some of those UX routes maybe it would be seen as a more balanced competition. That said Plus Ultra‘s fleet is just a few ageing 340’s.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:50 am

by738 wrote:
Dont understand this buyout at all. Anything AE were doing IB/IAG could have just done without all the expense of buying and integrating. It cant all be about expanding South America when BA have essentially culled South America.
IAG should let this go....


Globalia was shopping around to sell Air Europa. If IB/IAG did not make a move, then we would have seen LH or AF-KL make a move. MAD as a Latin America hub is a powerful franchise. Why allow the competition to move in?

BA culling South America? They fly from LHR to the biggest markets in the continent: EZE, GIG, GRU and SCL. Only BOG is missing.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
BealineV953
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:36 am

x1234 wrote:
All this does is increase IAG's domination of Europe-Latin America which is a huge market (Latin Americans don't need a visa for the most part to visit Western Europe).


Why do you say that IAG dominate the market?
IAG states that its pre-covid share of the Europe-Latin America market was 19%.
IAG say the AF/KL share was 19% and the Latam share was 8%.

If the IAG acquisition of Air Europa goes ahead, IAG say they will have a 26% share of the Europe-Latin America market.
If Latam join Skyteam, then AF/KL plus Latam will have a 27% share of the Europe-Latin America market.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
BealineV953
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:06 pm

dcajet wrote:
by738 wrote:
Don't understand this buyout at all. Anything AE were doing IB/IAG could have just done without all the expense of buying and integrating. It cant all be about expanding South America when BA have essentially culled South America.
IAG should let this go....


Globalia was shopping around to sell Air Europa. If IB/IAG did not make a move, then we would have seen LH or AF-KL make a move. MAD as a Latin America hub is a powerful franchise. Why allow the competition to move in?



I'm not convinced that Lufthansa would have been interested in Air Europa. Lufthansa have acquired the larger carrier in a number of markets (Swiss, Austrian, Brussels Airlines). However, when they owned bmi, a smaller carrier, they found themselves caught between BA and low cost carriers (easyJet and Ryanair). I don't see Lufthansa rushing to repeat that sort of unhappy experience.
Air France-KLM do not have a history of growth through acquiring smaller carriers at non-AF-KL hubs. I doubt if they would have rushed into buying Air Europa.
Air Europa has more value for IAG than for Lufthansa or AF-KL.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
Kadish
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:49 pm

tobsw wrote:
McG1967 wrote:
It makes sense if you look at it from the viewpoint that they have purchased a brand.

The Air Europa brand allows them to have a Europe wide brand that would allow them to consolidate Level, Vuelling and Air Europa all under one brand - Air Europa.


Not really. Vueling is way more valuable as a brand compared to Air Europa.

Air Europa, as a brand, -if the purchase happens- is going to disappear.


Vueling more valuable than Air Europa? Really? Not my cup of tea both of them but seriously I think u r wrong
 
by738
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:44 pm

BealineV953 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
by738 wrote:
Don't understand this buyout at all. Anything AE were doing IB/IAG could have just done without all the expense of buying and integrating. It cant all be about expanding South America when BA have essentially culled South America.
IAG should let this go....


Globalia was shopping around to sell Air Europa. If IB/IAG did not make a move, then we would have seen LH or AF-KL make a move. MAD as a Latin America hub is a powerful franchise. Why allow the competition to move in?




I'm not convinced that Lufthansa would have been interested in Air Europa. Lufthansa have acquired the larger carrier in a number of markets (Swiss, Austrian, Brussels Airlines). However, when they owned bmi, a smaller carrier, they found themselves caught between BA and low cost carriers (easyJet and Ryanair). I don't see Lufthansa rushing to repeat that sort of unhappy experience.
Air France-KLM do not have a history of growth through acquiring smaller carriers at non-AF-KL hubs. I doubt if they would have rushed into buying Air Europa.
Air Europa has more value for IAG than for Lufthansa or AF-KL.

Who mentioned Lufthansa?
 
BealineV953
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:30 pm

by738 wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Globalia was shopping around to sell Air Europa. If IB/IAG did not make a move, then we would have seen LH or AF-KL make a move. MAD as a Latin America hub is a powerful franchise. Why allow the competition to move in?



I'm not convinced that Lufthansa would have been interested in Air Europa. Lufthansa have acquired the larger carrier in a number of markets (Swiss, Austrian, Brussels Airlines). However, when they owned bmi, a smaller carrier, they found themselves caught between BA and low cost carriers (easyJet and Ryanair). I don't see Lufthansa rushing to repeat that sort of unhappy experience.
Air France-KLM do not have a history of growth through acquiring smaller carriers at non-AF-KL hubs. I doubt if they would have rushed into buying Air Europa.
Air Europa has more value for IAG than for Lufthansa or AF-KL.

Who mentioned Lufthansa?

See post 424.
The poster said "If IB/IAG did not make a move, then we would have seen LH or AF-KL make a move."
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
SeaKing4
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:22 pm

According to this link: https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/iag- ... 3xzefPk250 and the Spanish press IAG has acquired Air Europa for 500 million Euros after reaching a final agreement with Globalia.
 
SeaKing4
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:52 pm

SeaKing4 wrote:
According to this link: https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/iag- ... 3xzefPk250 and the Spanish press IAG has acquired Air Europa for 500 million Euros after reaching a final agreement with Globalia.


Sorry didn’t read 401 before I posted this.
 
User avatar
vhtje
Posts: 1303
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:17 pm

So when does IAG actually take control of Air Europa? I have searched, and none of the news sites I have checked makes this clear.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.
 
tobsw
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:00 pm

No one knows.

IAG neither UX have confirmed a 'new' purchase agreement.

There are just baseless rumours.
 
onwFan
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:02 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:49 am

tobsw wrote:
No one knows.

IAG neither UX have confirmed a 'new' purchase agreement.

There are just baseless rumours.

IAG confirms, and looks like the rumors were actually spot on:

https://www.iairgroup.com/en/newsroom/p ... air-europa

Under the terms of the Amendment Agreement, the parties have agreed that the amount to be paid by Iberia for Air Europa will be reduced from an equity value of €1 billion to €500 million with payment deferred until the sixth anniversary of the Acquisition’s completion.

The revised terms in the Amendment Agreement are conditional on the satisfactory negotiation between Iberia and Sociedad Estatal de Participaciones Industriales (“SEPI”) regarding the non-financial terms associated with the financial support provided by SEPI to Air Europa during 2020. Iberia intends to begin discussions with SEPI shortly concerning these conditions.

Assuming satisfaction of all conditions of the Amendment Agreement and the Acquisition, completion is expected to take place in the second half of 2021. The Acquisition is still subject to approval by the European Commission.
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:42 am

I think AirFrance/KLM will be kind of *MAD* at this take over. (Pun intended)
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.
 
Opus99
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:49 am

onwFan wrote:
tobsw wrote:
No one knows.

IAG neither UX have confirmed a 'new' purchase agreement.

There are just baseless rumours.

IAG confirms, and looks like the rumors were actually spot on:

https://www.iairgroup.com/en/newsroom/p ... air-europa

Under the terms of the Amendment Agreement, the parties have agreed that the amount to be paid by Iberia for Air Europa will be reduced from an equity value of €1 billion to €500 million with payment deferred until the sixth anniversary of the Acquisition’s completion.

The revised terms in the Amendment Agreement are conditional on the satisfactory negotiation between Iberia and Sociedad Estatal de Participaciones Industriales (“SEPI”) regarding the non-financial terms associated with the financial support provided by SEPI to Air Europa during 2020. Iberia intends to begin discussions with SEPI shortly concerning these conditions.

Assuming satisfaction of all conditions of the Amendment Agreement and the Acquisition, completion is expected to take place in the second half of 2021. The Acquisition is still subject to approval by the European Commission.

Nice deal for IAG i guess. Looking at Air Europas fleet is it just me that thinks IAG acquiring the max is even more likely. Air Europa coming in sort of breaks their monopoly on Airbus narrow bodies
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9442
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:49 pm

onwFan wrote:
Under the terms of the Amendment Agreement, the parties have agreed that the amount to be paid by Iberia for Air Europa will be reduced from an equity value of €1 billion to €500 million with payment deferred until the sixth anniversary of the Acquisition’s completion.


I don't think I would want to be an unsecured creditor of IAG waiting six years after the transaction closing date but there probably are few interested, qualified (EU rules, Spanish subsidy restrictions) buyers with quick money.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 10268
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 pm

If that turns out to be wise, will have to be seen. The EU will demand traffic rights and slots to be handed over to the competition. (and before you wonder, it is not about slots at MAD and BCN but about slots at the destinations many of whom are slot limited in normal times)

This could be the start of an even stronger low cost competition in MAD and BCN.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11729
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm

seahawk wrote:
(and before you wonder, it is not about slots at MAD and BCN but about slots at the destinations many of whom are slot limited in normal times)

Most of Air Europa’s destinations are not particularly restricted, and those that are Air Europa typically has a minimal presence. They are not a large airline at all.
 
Kadish
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:12 pm

Polot wrote:
seahawk wrote:
(and before you wonder, it is not about slots at MAD and BCN but about slots at the destinations many of whom are slot limited in normal times)

Most of Air Europa’s destinations are not particularly restricted, and those that are Air Europa typically has a minimal presence. They are not a large airline at all.


I guess they dont care about being slot limited cause (and if rumours are right) they will try to expand their network to Africa and Asia, so they willmove planes from one place to another.

Maybe their strategy may work taking into acccount AF/KL/LH reactions to this purchase...
 
aviator2000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 11:19 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:54 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
I think AirFrance/KLM will be kind of *MAD* at this take over. (Pun intended)

:D
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 1228
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:43 am

Opus99 wrote:
Nice deal for IAG i guess. Looking at Air Europas fleet is it just me that thinks IAG acquiring the max is even more likely. Air Europa coming in sort of breaks their monopoly on Airbus narrow bodies


It's just you. The main target of the company is LH. IB will likely use its national SH fleet to feed Air Europa, and IB getting a mixed fleet is a wet dream of some that the company can't (and won't) afford. Keeping the SH fleet in place once they can use the code sharing with IB makes absolute no sense, specially post covid.

In the long run (6-8 years, once the deal is sealed), it seems obvious that IB will just digest the whole brand (as will do with Level) and get rid of orphan fleets, relocating 787s within IAG and phasing out the Embraers and 787s, the latests will be circa 15 yo by then.
 
Opus99
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:49 am

Jayafe wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
Nice deal for IAG i guess. Looking at Air Europas fleet is it just me that thinks IAG acquiring the max is even more likely. Air Europa coming in sort of breaks their monopoly on Airbus narrow bodies


It's just you. The main target of the company is LH. IB will likely use its national SH fleet to feed Air Europa, and IB getting a mixed fleet is a wet dream of some that the company can't (and won't) afford. Keeping the SH fleet in place once they can use the code sharing with IB makes absolute no sense, specially post covid.

In the long run (6-8 years, once the deal is sealed), it seems obvious that IB will just digest the whole brand (as will do with Level) and get rid of orphan fleets, relocating 787s within IAG and phasing out the Embraers and 787s, the latests will be circa 15 yo by then.

And the 737s that already exist in the fleet what happens to them? And the MAXs already built. BA has a massive replacement program coming up eventually. There’s use for those jets at other IAG airlines. It makes it easier for IAG to further the MAX deal if the jets now come under their books. They can move the order to BA. Which was slated to get about 30 of that MAX order
 
Detroit313
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Updated: Amendment Agreement for IAG's Acquisition of Air Europa

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:16 am

Congratulations to IAG!
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 10268
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: IAG to buy Air Europa for €1 billion

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:57 am

Polot wrote:
seahawk wrote:
(and before you wonder, it is not about slots at MAD and BCN but about slots at the destinations many of whom are slot limited in normal times)

Most of Air Europa’s destinations are not particularly restricted, and those that are Air Europa typically has a minimal presence. They are not a large airline at all.


But combined they will have quite a strong presence on many routes, like MAD-DUS for example. And with DUS slot limited, I can easily see that they will need to hand over slot pairs so that a competitor can enter the route.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos