Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Zoedyn
Topic Author

China's Guilin Air pilot gets lifetime flying ban for allowing internet sensational girl into cockpit mid-flight

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 am

A cockpit picture, first released by a Chinese internet sensational girl showing herself sitting smugly in the captain seat, has triggered a huge public outcry on China's social media SinaWeibo in the last 24 hours and has already cost the career of a pilot working with Guilin Air/GT, an airline under the HNA group.

GT has today Nov 4 issued a public notice confirming the truthfulness of the pic: an incident in violation of CAAC safety regulations, adding that it was found to have occurred during a GT flight from Guilin to Yangzhou on Jan 4 this year.

GT also annnouced that the company has decided to ban the pilot in question from flying for life, and suspend other crew members involved from duty indefinitely for further investigations.

There is now close watch of whether CAAC would revoke the pilot's certificate to fuel his misery :alert:

女网红进驾驶舱!桂林航空航班机长被终身停飞,机组也无限期停飞Guilin Air pilot gets life ban
Pic via Beijing Daily

LMFNINJA

Re: China's Guilin Air pilot gets lifetime flying ban for allowing internet sensational girl into cockpit mid-flight

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:43 am

That was a very expensive cup of tea for the pilot lol.

aircatalonia

Re: China's Guilin Air pilot gets lifetime flying ban for allowing internet sensational girl into cockpit mid-flight

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:05 am

Did she get to play with the joystick?

Chasensfo

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:32 am

The Russian version of this is giving your kid the yoke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

STLflyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Did she get into his cockpit too?

Woodreau

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Reminds me of the inflight photo of the topless flight attendant sitting in the first officer seat a few years ago...
At least the crew on that flight didn't lose their jobs.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/2282472-post137.html
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Ziyulu

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Is the pilot banned for life in China? What stops him from applying for a pilot job in the US or Europe?

asr0dzjq

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:08 pm

aircatalonia wrote:

STLflyer wrote:
Did she get into his cockpit too?

Seriously though...

Woodreau wrote:
Reminds me of the inflight photo of the topless flight attendant sitting in the first officer seat a few years ago...

Now this is gold!
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

vahancrazy

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Is the pilot banned for life in China? What stops him from applying for a pilot job in the US or Europe?

I read as he is banned from the specific airlines atm and might be in the country later.
Nevertheless, nothing prevents him from applying. His flight records prevents him from getting a new job with any decent airline.

ikramerica

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:34 pm

when I was a kid, this wasn't a big deal. If it's a stable ap phase of cruise, it's no different than an FA sitting there while the captain pees. Except for the tea, I guess?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

andrefranca

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:36 pm

and later some state that gay guys are the ones who can´t see a hot piece of meat.......

DYSK

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:51 pm

ikramerica wrote:
when I was a kid, this wasn't a big deal. If it's a stable ap phase of cruise, it's no different than an FA sitting there while the captain pees. Except for the tea, I guess?

I would guess, that when you were a kid an airliner hadn't been flown into the ground because of an unlicensed person sitting in the cockpit seat.
Either way an FA has somewhat knowledge that you should not pull the yoke/joystick. Something that the Aeroflot accident showed.

sgbroimp

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Woodreau wrote:

The criterion is the quality (and quantity) of the top....

zeke

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
What stops him from applying for a pilot job in the US or Europe?

Level 2 English
The right to work
A licence
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 pm

DYSK wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
I would guess, that when you were a kid an airliner hadn't been flown into the ground because of an unlicensed person sitting in the cockpit seat.
Sorry, you guess wrong.
Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of "special guests" have sat in the front seats of airliners at some point over the years. My father was one, I was another, and years later one of my kids made three generations. Besides us, I'm betting Donald Trump is another candidate. And some of those have occurred since Aeroflot 593.
Mostly, it goes off without a hitch.
Occasionally it doesn't, and in an era before CVR and forensic crash investigations, you simply wouldn't know the truth.

Either way an FA has somewhat knowledge that you should not pull the yoke/joystick. Something that the Aeroflot accident showed.

There may be some truth in that.
Thanks to PlayStation, kids of all ages have learned that they can fly anything easy-peasy, that if it crashes it doesn't hurt, and if all else fails you just press the restart button.
They also figure that they are immortal, and can ignore instructions from adults.

But when I was dropped in the left seat as a young teenager, I sat there mortified, seeking assurance from the Captain that it was ok to make the mildest of course adjustments. I distinctly recall wondering if the people in the back would get a tad annoyed at me zig-zagging their flight through the sky.
For the record, I had never met the crew before, and apart from assuming I must have had a vague interest in planes, they couldn't know that I was already familiar with basic flight controls (on paper that is...) :lol:
I wonder if the fact that my sister was eighteen & blonde had anything to do with it? :scratchchin:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Revelation

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 am

LMFNINJA wrote:

I don't know many French expressions, but I am familiar with "femme fatale".
And of course there's the Adam and Eve archetype that has been around for centuries now.
My friend's dad had an old Yiddish saying:
When your <sex organ> stands up, your brain lies in <fecal matter>.

aircatalonia wrote:

This is the wrong question for the a.net crowd.
The right one is:
Is anyone able to read the fuel burn from the FMS screen? :biggrin:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

TheWorm123

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:02 am

I’ve been in the cockpit of a Jet2 757 and sat in the Captain’s chair on the ground at TFS.

With things like this on the other hand, a certain Aeroflot A310 comes to mind ...
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

diverted

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:36 am

Revelation wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:

And of course there's the Adam and Eve archetype that has been around for centuries now.

aircatalonia wrote:

This is the wrong question for the a.net crowd.
The right one is:
Is anyone able to read the fuel burn from the FMS screen? :biggrin:

Not bad! I read one once on a bar in Amsterdam "God gave man a brain and <sex organ> but only enough blood to operate one at a time"

NWAROOSTER

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:45 am

Revelation wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:

GARBAGE MOUTH......... :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

cskok8

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:49 am

What is an internet sensational girl?

smokeybandit

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:35 pm

zeke wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
What stops him from applying for a pilot job in the US or Europe?

Level 2 English
The right to work
A licence

The fact he lives in China and probably wouldn't be allowed to leave

aemoreira1981

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:27 pm

TheWorm123 wrote:
I’ve been in the cockpit of a Jet2 757 and sat in the Captain’s chair on the ground at TFS.

With things like this on the other hand, a certain Aeroflot A310 comes to mind ...

Combine that with a risk-averse Chinese culture, and I can see exactly why CAAC revoked the pilot's license. He will have trouble getting licensed by any decent aviation authority.

Revelation

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:38 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Combine that with a risk-averse Chinese culture, and I can see exactly why CAAC revoked the pilot's license. He will have trouble getting licensed by any decent aviation authority.

We don't know that to be true, do we?

OP sez:

Zoedyn wrote:
There is now close watch of whether CAAC would revoke the pilot's certificate to fuel his misery :alert:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

airbazar

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:17 pm

DYSK wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

I've been in a cockpit during flight after 9/11. Immediately after 9/11 cockpit visits during flight were banned only in flights to and from the U.S. The rest of the world was slow to adopt that same policy. I think today pretty much every major airline bans cockpit visits in flight but wouldn't be surprised if some don't.
I wonder whether the consequences for the pilot would be less harsh or if we had heard anything at all about this incident if it had happened on a chinese government airline instead of a HNA airline. My guess is it would have been kept hidden the pilot would still be flying.

DYSK

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:13 pm

airbazar wrote:
DYSK wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

I've been in a cockpit during flight after 9/11. Immediately after 9/11 cockpit visits during flight were banned only in flights to and from the U.S. The rest of the world was slow to adopt that same policy. I think today pretty much every major airline bans cockpit visits in flight but wouldn't be surprised if some don't.
I wonder whether the consequences for the pilot would be less harsh or if we had heard anything at all about this incident if it had happened on a chinese government airline instead of a HNA airline. My guess is it would have been kept hidden the pilot would still be flying.

You might have been in the cockpit, but did you sit in the captain's seat for a photo when the plane was airborne?
Visits to the flight deck is not too uncommon.

workhorse

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:20 am

airbazar wrote:
I wonder whether the consequences for the pilot would be less harsh or if we had heard anything at all about this incident if it had happened on a chinese government airline instead of a HNA airline.

The consequences would have been exactly the same. CAAC has shown multiple times that it is quite willing to take on any airline, including Air China, if they see something wrong.

As for the situation: it is, indeed, something that has been happening ever since aviation exists without any problem and it's not more dangerous than when one of the pilots goes to take a whiz. But unfortunately, SU593 and 9/11 have been there. Also, the airline being Chinese, western media need much less than that to start another round of China bashing. The CAAC basically had no choice but to apply the harshest sanctions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos