Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Akbar AlBaker accuses Singapore being a ‘copy cat’

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Airways CEO, who is known in the industry with his attacks on rivals and aircraft manufacturer, this time is attacking Singapore Airport.

During the recent announcement of Hamad International Airport expansion plans two weeks ago, Al Baker has accused SIN from stealing the Jewel design which as he claims was an idea to be built at Hamad Airport few years back.

During the unveiling announcement, Akbar has stated that a Singapore National working at Hamad Airport has leaked the idea to his home airport (SIN)
This comes as the new expansion at HIA will include indoor waterfall and large gardens similar to Changi's Jewel.

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/5 ... um=twitter

IndianicWorld

Re: Akbar AlBaker accuses Singapore being a ‘copy cat’

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Those who snooze lose.

It’s a great concept but hardly something that is worth getting upset about.

airbazar

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47 pm

It's hard to believe his claim anyway. Anyone that's been to Singapore, and Changi in particular knows that Singaporeans have always had an affinity for incorporating water and garden features into their architecture. A waterfall and indoor garden at Changi, and in a public shopping mall at that is hardly a ground breaking concept.

SomebodyInTLS

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:20 pm

airbazar wrote:
It's hard to believe his claim anyway. Anyone that's been to Singapore, and Changi in particular knows that Singaporeans have always had an affinity for incorporating water and garden features into their architecture. A waterfall and indoor garden at Changi, and in a public shopping mall at that is hardly a ground breaking concept.

They had a similar atrium+colossal-waterfall-in-a-mall concept all the way back in 1995...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Wealth

Only significant difference is that there's no glass between the edge of the square and where the water cascades from, but it has the same effect as you approach from within the mall (not obvious in most pictures which show it from outside).
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

macc

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:28 pm

I would be more interested in the expansion plans itself. Seems a tad overoptimistic at current times to expand that airport even further.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

IndianicWorld

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:48 pm

macc wrote:
I would be more interested in the expansion plans itself. Seems a tad overoptimistic at current times to expand that airport even further.

They are still growing, but at what cost who knows.

Whether or not it makes sense seems a secondary consideration, especially as it leads up to 2022 and looks to make a big statement to the world, and particularly its neighbours.

raylee67

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:01 pm

Isn't his airline a copy cat of EK's business model too?

And the Jewel is indeed amazing.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

maps4ltd

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Shut up, Baker, your hub has a giant demonic teddy bear as its centerpiece.
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

Noshow

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:41 pm

There is no copyright on airport waterfalls or malls as far as I know. Changi is some truly creative and green airport since a very long time. They don't need to copy anything.
Qatar possibly got inspired by Singapore the other way around as well? Take some small country and create a global high quality airline and hub.

cskok8

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:49 pm

I think Singapore also copied his runway design, being straight and level

Mboyle1988

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Lol this dude is crazy like Trump in that he knows saying outlandish things will get us talking about him and thinking about Qatar when we otherwise wouldn’t. Love it or hate it, it is the best marketing strategy in today’s world.

eta unknown

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:39 pm

I guess Little Al doesn't believe in the notion "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" then?

zkojq

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:47 pm

As cool as the Jewl looks, it's really just the world's biggest gimmick. I'm sure Hamad Intl will survive fine without it.
First to fly the 787-9

usflyer msp

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:
Lol this dude is crazy like Trump in that he knows saying outlandish things will get us talking about him and thinking about Qatar when we otherwise wouldn’t. Love it or hate it, it is the best marketing strategy in today’s world.

Bingo.
Plus I don't think the Doha airport is particularly nice. It's new but I think it lacks facilities outside of its lounges. I doubt Singapore stole anything from it.

Adipocere

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Is he half-English? I always have wondered how Akbar got quintessential British middle name and surnames - Al(Bert?) and Baker?

Polot

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Adipocere wrote:
Is he half-English? I always have wondered how Akbar got quintessential British middle name and surnames - Al(Bert?) and Baker?

I don’t know his heritage but “Al” is very common in Arabic names. It can mean “the” or “clan” (as in family clan) depending on how it is spelt/pronounced in Arabic. It is not his middle name but rather part of his last name (Al-Baker). His last name is probably derived from Bakr which is an old Arabic family name.

Avgeek21

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:35 pm

I guess there are bigger things in the world to worry about like curing cancer or world hunger. Non issue, move on.

bravotango75

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Why is this basket case allowed to run an airline?

Prost

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Al-Baker May be strident and vocal, but I don’t think it’s entirely fair to disparage him. He is there to advocate for Qatar, it’s people, and the guests he carries, and he does that very well.

blooc350

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 pm

This guy is in for a rude awakening when Changi unveils their plans for T5. Jewel is just a "test rat" for what is coming.

hloutweg

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:48 pm

The kettle calling the pot black

They appear to be stealing the basic roof design for the expansion from Mexico City’s now cancelled airport
In Varietate Concordia

peterinlisbon

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:16 pm

You could say that Qatar Airways itself is a copycat (of Emirates).

Arion640

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Changi is a far better airport than Doha (Hamad is great for short connections) and they blow them out of the water in terms of amenities.

WesternDC6B

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:25 pm

cskok8 wrote:

That, along with airplanes using them for landing and takeoff.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

JAAlbert

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:08 am

xwb777 wrote:
During the unveiling announcement, Akbar has stated that a Singapore National working at Hamad Airport has leaked the idea to his home airport (SIN)
This comes as the new expansion at HIA will include indoor waterfall and large gardens similar to Changi's Jewel.

That would have to be a Singapore National holding an executive level position at Doha to have access to proprietary information such as future expansion plans (if they were ever secret that is). I can't imagine a shop keeper or dish washer would be privy to such info.

If Mr. AlBaker wants to do a jungle/water feature at his airport, do it! And if he doesn't, stop complaining when someone else builds it.

Per an earlier poster, that teddy bear with the light coming out of his forehead never made sense to me. What is it supposed to represent? Do folks in the middle east have an affinity for stuffed animal toys (and lamps)?

Antarius

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 am

Adipocere wrote:

He is Qatari. It is pronounced differently, with al being similar to the start of the word always and baker, being more like baakr (as opposed to bayker)
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

Antarius

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:11 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Shut up, Baker, your hub has a giant demonic teddy bear as its centerpiece.

The teddy bear is truly terrifying.
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

325i

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:34 am

Greetings All, a question both us flyer asip and arion 640, have you experienced the Business Lounge ?
Everything in life is personal ,particularly options ,I respect yours but in my opinion their B/L is far superior .
Cheers 325i

happytraveller

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:41 am

cskok8 wrote:

Well said !!

tommy1808

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:41 am

peterinlisbon wrote:

...which in turn copied Singapore Airlines.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:48 am

peterinlisbon wrote:

And Emirates is absolutely a clone of Singapore Airlines... So...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

Spiderguy252

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:09 pm

If he was in charge of any other airline in any other country, he would have flown it to the ground and got booted out before you could say "Akbar".

He's lucky he has a couple of gas wells to cushion his dumb decisions.
Vahroone

moa999

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Laughable idiot.
Nature called asking to copyright a waterfall.

325i wrote:
have you experienced the Business Lounge ?

The Al Mourjan lounge in Doha is decent, but doesn't have enough showers and the food has gone downhill since they dumped a la carte dining. But the oneworld Business lounge (yes, different) is very downmarket in comparison.

Flying economy to Europe out of Australia as a Qantas elite I'd fly QF, EK, CX or a combo with AY ahead of QR a result
(And I have flown QR J through DOH as well)

readytotaxi

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 pm

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", someone tell him.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Ziyulu

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:56 pm

And SQ copied QR by offering 3-3-3 in economy on its 787.

amirs

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:08 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
airbazar wrote:

They had a similar atrium+colossal-waterfall-in-a-mall concept all the way back in 1995...

Only significant difference is that there's no glass between the edge of the square and where the water cascades from, but it has the same effect as you approach from within the mall (not obvious in most pictures which show it from outside).

Even TLV has it

J343

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm

What anout KLIA's jungle?

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm

J343 wrote:
What anout KLIA's jungle?

True, the Jewel is pretty much a blend of KLIA and Suntec's fountain...

Sokes

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 pm

From the OP's link:
""When I show you the images later (of the planned enhancements), you will realise that somebody copied our design, which was already on the table nearly six years ago... We had individuals from that country, I will not name it, that took our design and did it.""

It reminds me of "Seit 5 Uhr 45 wird zurückgeschossen!" = "We have now been returning the fire since 5:45 a.m.!"
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

huaiwei

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
airbazar wrote:

The water feature design is more closely associated with the one at Marina Bay Sands, also designed by the same architect. While most people know MBS for its hanging roof feature and infinity pool, there is also a lesser-known "hurricane water feature" in the mall. The Jewel just looks like it on steroids.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:00 pm

huaiwei wrote:
The water feature design is more closely associated with the one at Marina Bay Sands, also designed by the same architect. While most people know MBS for its hanging roof feature and infinity pool, there is also a lesser-known "hurricane water feature" in the mall. The Jewel just looks like it on steroids.

Oh yeah... I knew I'd seen it somewhere before. Thanks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos