Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Andy33

Re: UK Bans Emirates First Class Shower Attendants

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:34 pm

cuban8 wrote:
Funny thing is, even the flight engineers gets refused in the UK these days.

I’ve been flying out of the UAE to the UK for the last 10 years with flight engineers onboard without any issues. We are operating a private Airbus CJ and we always carry an engineer in case of a maintenance problem.

Beginning of this year, our flight engineer got detained for 4 hours since they didn’t consider him as a part of the crew. Obviously, the Airbus only requires two pilots, but our engineer has been on average 3-4 weeks in the UK for the last 10 years with no issues from UK border control.

Something has definitely changed!!

Well, one thing that has changed would be the government - and guess who gives the border control people their orders....

cuban8

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Andy33 wrote:
cuban8 wrote:
Funny thing is, even the flight engineers gets refused in the UK these days.

I’ve been flying out of the UAE to the UK for the last 10 years with flight engineers onboard without any issues. We are operating a private Airbus CJ and we always carry an engineer in case of a maintenance problem.

Beginning of this year, our flight engineer got detained for 4 hours since they didn’t consider him as a part of the crew. Obviously, the Airbus only requires two pilots, but our engineer has been on average 3-4 weeks in the UK for the last 10 years with no issues from UK border control.

Something has definitely changed!!

Well, one thing that has changed would be the government - and guess who gives the border control people their orders....

I don’t know if this is related to Brexit or not. That being said, Mrs. May was in office at the time we encountered trouble with the border control.
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~

SamYeager2016

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Immigration and border controls have been a big issue in the UK recently so I'm sure instructions have come down from on high to enforce the existing laws more strictly.

dcaviation

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 pm

SKAirbus wrote:
As a Brit, I am normally mortified by how the UK Border Force operates and the decisions it takes but I can almost understand this.

Dubai/UAE is known as somewhere that uses modern day slavery in almost every sector: construction, hospitality, healthcare etc etc. These people are paid very little, forced to live in disgusting conditions and made to work very long hours without any rights whatsoever. This seems to be an attempt by EK to bring this practice into the aviation industry. In Europe there is more of a focus on human rights, something that is not a priority in the Middle East - so I'm glad to see the UK put a stop to this.

So it shows that you know very little to nothing about living conditions of workers in UAE. I'm glad UK is leaving from EU. They don't deserve to be part of it.

BerenErchamion

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:11 pm

edealinfo wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
The simple fix should be the hire a real, certified flight attendant for this position. Which seems to be what they're doing.

So, because the UK can’t handle it, Emirates needs to hire an overqualified person to clean the showers? At your office, do you also hire MBAs to do janitorial services?

No, because we also don't hire underqualified people.

hrc773

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:23 pm

So, what about the Virgin Atlantic inflight masseur/masseuses? Are/were those full certified Flight Attendants? They wouldn't qualify for the crew visa either, if they're not trained as such.

ei146

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Andy33 wrote:
But on board a ship, all the crew have defined safety duties in the event of an incident requiring evacuation of the ship, not just the deck crew. Cabin stewards, chefs and so on do have duties in connection with issuing lifejackets and handling lifeboats. There simply wouldn't be enough people on a ferry or cruise ship to handle the work otherwise.

And the shower assistents have the task to remove puddles of water from the floor so that nobody slips. Just imagine you would have to evacuate an A380 with a slippery floor!
:shock: :D

JannEejit

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm

hrc773 wrote:
So, what about the Virgin Atlantic inflight masseur/masseuses? Are/were those full certified Flight Attendants? They wouldn't qualify for the crew visa either, if they're not trained as such.

But didn't Virgin withdraw that service years ago ? Quite possibly for similar reasons ?

PhilMcCrackin

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 pm

hrc773 wrote:

They're presumably UK citizens so they wouldn't require a visa.

FCAFLYBOY

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:55 pm

hrc773 wrote:

The VS beauty therapists were fully qualified crew, in terms of SEP/Safety and usually service too, and occupied jump seats as per main crew.

MeCe

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 am

UK can deny shower attendants entrance as crew; if they are not part of crew simply they dont need have rest rules. So, they can leave with passengers, pass the immigration than go to hotel. I am sure that EK can arrange a fast pass from immigration. Same for return, leave hotel little bit early, pass the security again EK can arrange a fast pass. No big drama here, flight engineers do it all the time.

gunnerman

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:22 pm

hrc773 wrote:

My understanding is that they were recruited as beauty therapists and then given the same training as other crew in medical and safety & emergency procedures. So, they wouldn't serve food and drink as that was the job of cabin crew but in an emergency they could assist in evacuating passengers from the aircraft.

When the therapy service was axed in 2008 all 320 in-flight therapists were offered ground-based jobs or being retrained as cabin crew.

hrc773

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:41 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
hrc773 wrote:

They're presumably UK citizens so they wouldn't require a visa.

Thanks, I meant on flights outside of the UK, which I think it's most, if not all.

gunnerman wrote:
hrc773 wrote:

My understanding is that they were recruited as beauty therapists and then given the same training as other crew in medical and safety & emergency procedures. So, they wouldn't serve food and drink as that was the job of cabin crew but in an emergency they could assist in evacuating passengers from the aircraft.

When the therapy service was axed in 2008 all 320 in-flight therapists were offered ground-based jobs or being retrained as cabin crew.

Thanks for the info; I wasn't sure if VS still had that on their flights.

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
hrc773 wrote:

The VS beauty therapists were fully qualified crew, in terms of SEP/Safety and usually service too, and occupied jump seats as per main crew.

Thanks!

JannEejit wrote:
hrc773 wrote:

But didn't Virgin withdraw that service years ago ? Quite possibly for similar reasons ?

I just learned they don't have that service any longer.

FCAFLYBOY

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:02 pm

JannEejit wrote:
hrc773 wrote:

They withdrew it in 2008 as mentioned above, but it was nothing to do with similar reasons, it was space onboard and economic. All crew had the right to live and work in the UK which has been a requirement for many years and still is.

tommer419

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:15 am

edealinfo wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
The simple fix should be the hire a real, certified flight attendant for this position. Which seems to be what they're doing.

So, because the UK can’t handle it, Emirates needs to hire an overqualified person to clean the showers? At your office, do you also hire MBAs to do janitorial services?

I get what you mean, but I wouldn’t exactly consider FA’s to be the equivalent of MBAs in aviation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos