Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kronesian
Topic Author

TUI to make Melbourne its Florida gateway in 2022

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:59 pm

Huge news coming out of Melbourne today. Come 2022, TUI will move services from SFB to MLB. http://mlbair.com/Default.aspx?tabid=142&Article=179
KMLB

United787

Re: TUI to make Melbourne its Florida gateway in 2022

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Forgive me because I don't know much about this stretch of FL coast but is this a popular area for British/Irish tourists? I know this airport also "serves" Orlando but it is 25 minutes further to Disney than SFB (but probably less traffic congestion).

CobaltScar

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Melbourne is mostly a dump. This has to just be for cheap people who want to save some money on the air ticket and instead take a longer bus ride to Disney.

enilria

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm

How big was the check? LOL. Really big...

ShamrockBoi330

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 pm

How does MLB suit their (are they there?) or other cruiselines cruises out of Port Canaveral in comparison to SFB?

I know in the past I've looked at YTO - MLB but could never make the times work for Port Canaveral?

EDIT: The Marella Discovery is basing in Port Canaveral from 2021 so I assume they'll be using this flight as a feeder to its cruises from the UK, while maintaining a decent distance to Disney et al?

or is this just coincidence?
Last edited by ShamrockBoi330 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dabpit

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Wow...so does this mean that Sanford is losing its TUI service? If so that means no more trans-Atlantic flights from SFB. MLB is a small airport and if I remember correctly a small International arrivals hall.
Carpe Diem

Kronesian
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:52 pm

United787 wrote:
Forgive me because I don't know much about this stretch of FL coast but is this a popular area for British/Irish tourists? I know this airport also "serves" Orlando but it is 25 minutes further to Disney than SFB (but probably less traffic congestion).

The idea is to have easier access to the beaches and Port Canaveral, as it is much quicker from MLB. They have also been working on a new Interstate exit and extension to the airport to make the drive to the theme parks a bit better than it is currently.
KMLB

DTL

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:30 pm

http://mlbair.com/portals/0/docs/meetin ... da%202.pdf

I am sure you can find the details of what is being provided to them from the minutes of their board meeting... See "Tango 2"

KLMatSJC

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Oh boy, do they know that Orlando-Melbourne really isn't all that close to Orlando?

Definitely one of the weirder announcements I have seen in a while.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

CURQ400

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 pm

dabpit wrote:
Wow...so does this mean that Sanford is losing its TUI service? If so that means no more trans-Atlantic flights from SFB. MLB is a small airport and if I remember correctly a small International arrivals hall.

This looks to only be TUI UK, so there will still be TUI flights at SFB.

jomur

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:27 pm

This isn't going to work out well for TUI. In most of the Disney forums I am on people are already saying they won't be flying with them from 2022.

mict

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 pm

jomur wrote:
This isn't going to work out well for TUI. In most of the Disney forums I am on people are already saying they won't be flying with them from 2022.

Everyone always says that, at the end of the day, the majority of people will just take whichever flight is cheapest.

MCOflyer

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:35 am

MLB is no dump as they have made improvements to it in the past few years. The city and surrounding areas are safer than the Sanford area in my opinion. Cocoa Beach and surrounding beaches are popular for tourism and from Melbourne, its only a 45-60min drive to Disney. Kennedy Space Center attracts a lot of people as well.

We have STS doing mx work and MLB is a popular diversion airport when MCO and airports to the south get closed. When customs will increase their staffing when these flights start is something I think should happen. in the end, if traffic increases for MLB, it would not surprise me to see more airlines come here to MLB.
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Dominion301

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:40 am

Wow what a coup. That certainly makes up for MLB losing Porter.

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:01 am

mict wrote:
jomur wrote:

Everyone always says that, at the end of the day, the majority of people will just take whichever flight is cheapest.

Some of these LCCs might see better yields if they, you know, actually flew where people wanted to go. Sure, you can induce people to go 100km out of their way - junk ticket prices.

musman9853

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:49 am

United787 wrote:

The only airport that realistically serves Orlando is mco.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

musman9853

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:51 am

mict wrote:
jomur wrote:

MCO is already over an hour from Disney resorts factoring in the traffic between the airport and the RCID. Adding another hour is crazy

FLALEFTY

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:56 am

DTL wrote:
http://mlbair.com/portals/0/docs/meetings/Revised%20October%202019%20Agenda%202.pdf

I am sure you can find the details of what is being provided to them from the minutes of their board meeting... See "Tango 2"

This agreement actually seems modest in terms of incentives. But there could there be "below the line" compensation through a fuel discount?

As for driving time to Port Canaveral, it is a a wash - 44 minutes from MLB and 45 minutes from MCO, but from SFB takes a little over an hour. To Walt Disney World, from SFB is around 45 minutes & from MLB is roughly 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Andy33

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
mict wrote:
jomur wrote:

Some of these LCCs might see better yields if they, you know, actually flew where people wanted to go. Sure, you can induce people to go 100km out of their way - junk ticket prices.

That may well be true, but TUI are not an LCC. They're the in-house airline for the TUI packaged vacation business. A small number of seats are sold separately but the vast majority of passengers buy the whole package which will include transfers to hotels/resorts (or a hire car) and the accommodation and meals.

DLX737200

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:22 am

CURQ400 wrote:
dabpit wrote:

This looks to only be TUI UK, so there will still be TUI flights at SFB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the TUI destinations to SFB from the UK with the exception of AMS? So all TUI will fly now is AMS-SFB-AMS? All of the UK destinations will be going to MLB, now, right?

If so, that's a major blow to SFB. I can't remember a time in my young life that SFB didn't have at least some UK charter service. I miss the days of 4-5 different UK charter airlines all fighting it out in SFB. Now, there's just TUI and even that is leaving now, with the exception of AMS, apparently.

bananaboy

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 am

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
How does MLB suit their (are they there?) or other cruiselines cruises out of Port Canaveral in comparison to SFB?

I know in the past I've looked at YTO - MLB but could never make the times work for Port Canaveral?

EDIT: The Marella Discovery is basing in Port Canaveral from 2021 so I assume they'll be using this flight as a feeder to its cruises from the UK, while maintaining a decent distance to Disney et al?

or is this just coincidence?

Definitely not a coincidence. Marella Discovery has lower berth capacity of around 1800 (max is nearly 2100) so that'll take a few flights to fill the 7 and 14 night sailings. Good move by TUI - make it easier to fill the bed stock it is 100% committed on and offer the Orlando / Atlantic coast stays as a cruise and stay option or as well as solely land-based holiday packages.

Itineraries look unusual and clearly aimed at the UK market. Coupled with the familiar name and (no doubt some) regional flights, I think they'll do ok.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Boeing74741R

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am

This is quite a coup. I can only assume fees have had a lot to do with it, though if TUI have a lot of Marella cruises from that area I can see why MLB is an attractive option.

To get from MLB to the Orlando area appears to be simple enough by going straight along Highway 192, though it could be quicker to take the longer route via I-95 and SR-528 (and right past MCO in the process!), so between 75-90mins according to Google. It's a longer journey for those travelling to the beaches in the Tampa Bay area though as it's now closer to 3 hours. Conversely, it cuts down the amount of driving if travelling to the Space Coast area and could mean an increase of tourists staying in the area.

All in all, it looks like an average increase in journey time of around 20 minutes or so for most people heading to the Orlando area compared to SFB. That might not necessarily be attractive for some after a 9hr TATL flight and it might push some people towards the likes of VS or doing a one-stop option with another airline, but if the price is good some people will roll with it.

musman9853 wrote:
MCO is already over an hour from Disney resorts factoring in the traffic between the airport and the RCID. Adding another hour is crazy

You must take a different route or rely on public transport. Driving from MCO to Lake Buena Vista takes around 20 minutes in normal traffic and Walt Disney World is right next door, so for most people it's probably no more than 30-40 minutes depending on traffic and whereabouts in WDW they are staying, though not everyone who is visiting the parks stays in Disney let alone go there.

DLX737200 wrote:
If so, that's a major blow to SFB. I can't remember a time in my young life that SFB didn't have at least some UK charter service. I miss the days of 4-5 different UK charter airlines all fighting it out in SFB. Now, there's just TUI and even that is leaving now, with the exception of AMS, apparently.

Shame indeed, though it's also a sign of the times. TUI (formerly Thomsonfly/Thomson Aiways, Britannia Airways and First Choice Airways/Air 2000) are the last UK charter airliner standing for long-haul ops as all the others you mention have either merged and/or gone bust. Thomas Cook pulled out of SFB in favour of MCO over 5 years ago. Besides TUI, the only other airline that serves the Orlando area from regional UK airports is VS as BA and Norwegian all fly from LGW.
Last edited by Boeing74741R on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Leej

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am

Oh no.....queue the sulky looking photos of 'misled honeymoon couples' in the tabloids thinking they were going to Australia....

jomur

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:37 am

musman9853 wrote:
mict wrote:
jomur wrote:

We can quite easily get from the parking lots at MCO to be in MK via the 427 after checking into our resort in about 60 minutes. If you take the I4 its always going to take longer.

musman9853

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:

musman9853 wrote:

You must take a different route or rely on public transport. Driving from MCO to Lake Buena Vista takes around 20 minutes in normal traffic and Walt Disney World is right next door, so for most people it's probably no more than 30-40 minutes depending on traffic and whereabouts in WDW they are staying, though not everyone who is visiting the parks stays in Disney let alone go there.

I live 5 minutes from the entrance to the RCID. Trust me, it is a maze to get inside. From my house to the entrance of MK takes an hour. RCID is a traffic ridden maze

musman9853

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:07 pm

jomur wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
mict wrote:

We can quite easily get from the parking lots at MCO to be in MK via the 427 after checking into our resort in about 60 minutes. If you take the I4 its always going to take longer.

Like I said, MCO to the resorts is an hour. Mlb is another hour on top of that.

ShamrockBoi330

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
DTL wrote:
http://mlbair.com/portals/0/docs/meetings/Revised%20October%202019%20Agenda%202.pdf

This agreement actually seems modest in terms of incentives. But there could there be "below the line" compensation through a fuel discount?

As for driving time to Port Canaveral, it is a a wash - 44 minutes from MLB and 45 minutes from MCO, but from SFB takes a little over an hour. To Walt Disney World, from SFB is around 45 minutes & from MLB is roughly 1 hour, 20 minutes.

NEVER have i been able to do Port Canaveral to MCO in 45 mins for a cruise, with arranged transport or rental!

luckyone

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Has anyone bothered to actually map this? MLB to DisneyWorld is 75 miles, a little over an hour, or a grand total of twenty minutes more than from Sanford. Certainly different traffic conditions will result in different times, though it should be noted that from Sanford one must traverse through downtown Orlando, making rush hour more of an issue than coming from MLB. Also, after 9+ hours in the air 20-30 extra minutes in the car is not going to be a big deal, especially considering that the flights will arrive late afternoon, early evening, which means most people will be going straight to bed regardless of where they stay.

nkops

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:36 pm

luckyone wrote:
Has anyone bothered to actually map this? MLB to DisneyWorld is 75 miles, a little over an hour, or a grand total of twenty minutes more than from Sanford. Certainly different traffic conditions will result in different times, though it should be noted that from Sanford one must traverse through downtown Orlando, making rush hour more of an issue than coming from MLB. Also, after 9+ hours in the air 20-30 extra minutes in the car is not going to be a big deal, especially considering that the flights will arrive late afternoon, early evening, which means most people will be going straight to bed regardless of where they stay.

I did google maps from MLB and SFB to Disney Springs... MLB was 1hr19min and SFB 52min..

If you take 417 from SFB you do not need to pass through downtown Orlando, but it is a toll road
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

Andy33

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm

luckyone wrote:
. Also, after 9+ hours in the air 20-30 extra minutes in the car is not going to be a big deal, especially considering that the flights will arrive late afternoon, early evening, which means most people will be going straight to bed regardless of where they stay.

I should just repeat that TUI passengers are almost all on TUI package vacations or TUI cruises, and bus transfers are included in the package/cruise price. So very few people will be in the car at all.

musman9853

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:06 pm

nkops wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I did google maps from MLB and SFB to Disney Springs... MLB was 1hr19min and SFB 52min..

If you take 417 from SFB you do not need to pass through downtown Orlando, but it is a toll road

At least 417s traffic isn't that bad.

readytotaxi

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Hope the airport has plans to upgrade Int. arrivals and CBP clearence.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Kronesian
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:32 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Hope the airport has plans to upgrade Int. arrivals and CBP clearence.

If you check their future plans, they want to expand the terminal past where the hangars are on the south side.
KMLB

Boeing74741R

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:09 am

Andy33 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
. Also, after 9+ hours in the air 20-30 extra minutes in the car is not going to be a big deal, especially considering that the flights will arrive late afternoon, early evening, which means most people will be going straight to bed regardless of where they stay.

I should just repeat that TUI passengers are almost all on TUI package vacations or TUI cruises, and bus transfers are included in the package/cruise price. So very few people will be in the car at all.

I have been to Florida 6 times over the last 20 years. Every time we've always hired a car from the airport. Unless people are staying in a Disney resort or a Universal resort, you would be surprised how many people end up hiring a car, either at the airport or elsewhere (for example, Hertz have a desk at Universal Cabana Bay). When you do a dummy booking with TUI, you get the option to book a car through them for a bit extra. Those who are moving on to another part of Florida after a week or so in the Orlando area generally hire a car.

As for an extra 20-30 minutes in a car not being a big deal after a 9 hour flight, the last time we were there we did a 2 hour drive from MCO to the Tampa Bay area and 2 years prior we drove from MCO to Miami Beach which took us nearly 4 hours. I'm used to long days anyway and we managed by drinking coffee before landing, but it wasn't ideal given we had been up for over 16 hours by the time we set off and some people will be put off with just one look at the journey time.

I agree with you about cruises though. Hardly anyone will hire a car unless they're in the area for an extended period.

santi319

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am

Driving from MLB to Disney via US192 after a 9 hour flight, at dusk, and on the “other side of the road” SCREAMS tragedy...

KFTG

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:37 am

santi319 wrote:
Driving from MLB to Disney via US192 after a 9 hour flight, at dusk, and on the “other side of the road” SCREAMS tragedy...

Oh? Probably safer than SFB to Disney on I-4, which is what they're doing now.

LaunchDetected

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:54 am

A good news for all australian travellers.
Caravelle lover

APYu

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Andy33 wrote:

Most of the TUI Packages in Orlando include Car Hire as the default transfer option. They do offer a bus option, but the nature of that destination means that Rental car is by far the preferred option for those staying locally.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

nkops

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:44 pm

KFTG wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would go I-4 from SFB to Disney... SR 417 is much easier road to deal with and drops you off right by Disney

GibbonUK

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Could this all be as simple as Landing Fees?

If there is a lower cost to the Airline / TUI company as a whole, is this switch profit related?

Given that, as a member has already commented upon, the vast number of its passengers choose to hire a car rather then rely on the 'old fashioned' coach transfer a-la Costa de Sol style, TUI loose nothing by 'dumping' its passengers and flying back, as there are little to no transfer costs.

IFlyVeryLittle

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Within two or three years, a high-speed train linking Orlando and Miami (Virgin Trains USA) will operate on rails within sight of the airport's arrival curb. No plans right now to build a station, though one is thought to be planned maybe 15 miles north in a crummy little town that exists right at the point the rails will curve east toward Orlando. Let's see what kind of horsepower this TUI deal can exert over the folks responsible for the train and where to build a station. Fly in, hop on a train to Orlando or Miami...now that's an experience a lot of European tourists would be quite accustomed to, right?

AMS18C36C

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Leej wrote:
Oh no.....queue the sulky looking photos of 'misled honeymoon couples' in the tabloids thinking they were going to Australia....

That’s what I was thinking: how many people are going to be thinking that they’re heading to Australia? When you say Melbourne, the average European will think Australia.

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
Within two or three years, a high-speed train linking Orlando and Miami (Virgin Trains USA) will operate on rails within sight of the airport's arrival curb. No plans right now to build a station, though one is thought to be planned maybe 15 miles north in a crummy little town that exists right at the point the rails will curve east toward Orlando. Let's see what kind of horsepower this TUI deal can exert over the folks responsible for the train and where to build a station. Fly in, hop on a train to Orlando or Miami...now that's an experience a lot of European tourists would be quite accustomed to, right?

From what I just read on Wikipedia, Miami – Orlando will be served once every hour by train. That’s pretty good. But will it attract enough passengers, should they consider a stop? Where are the passengers going, and will TUI even consider the train as a transfer option?

beefstew25

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I think being 10 minutes from some non-built up beaches is kind of a key component of this.

Driving from MLB to Disney on 192 is a nightmare. 32 lights last I counted.
MLB

musman9853

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:11 pm

nkops wrote:
KFTG wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would go I-4 from SFB to Disney... SR 417 is much easier road to deal with and drops you off right by Disney

i4 also goes right next to disney, although 417 probably is the better choice.

luckyone

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
As for an extra 20-30 minutes in a car not being a big deal after a 9 hour flight, the last time we were there we did a 2 hour drive from MCO to the Tampa Bay area and 2 years prior we drove from MCO to Miami Beach which took us nearly 4 hours. I'm used to long days anyway and we managed by drinking coffee before landing, but it wasn't ideal given we had been up for over 16 hours by the time we set off and some people will be put off with just one look at the journey time.

I wouldn't compare 20-30 minutes resulting in a total of up to 90 minutes to 4 hours. Nor would I advise anyone to drive from the Orlando area to South Florida immediately after a transatlantic flight.

nkops

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:00 pm

musman9853 wrote:
nkops wrote:
KFTG wrote:

i4 also goes right next to disney, although 417 probably is the better choice.

417 is so much better.. that's my road to work every day. From SFB, getting on 417 is about a 2 mile drive.. I-4 from SFB is a bit out of the way if heading towards Disney

maps4ltd

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:16 pm

I know a guy who lives in Titusville who might like this. Currently, he is a BP worker and frequents BA's MCO-LGW route.
Delta Gold Medallion

nkops

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:23 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
I know a guy who lives in Titusville who might like this. Currently, he is a BP worker and frequents BA's MCO-LGW route.

unless something changes, you have to originate in the UK to fly TUI.. they do not sell tickets from the US

Cunard

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm

It amazes me on these forums how many people don't fully understand the business model of TUI, especially those from overseas and in particular the USA who assume that they are a fully fledged LCC.

Some comments fully support my statement.

People booking might get the airport mistaken for Melbourne, Australia....no I don't think so.

People suggesting that TUI fly to where people want to fly to....it doesn't work like that in this case.

People suggesting the possibility of booking flights from Melbourne, FL to the UK with TUI....again no.

These are just three examples, there are many more but Andy33 has given the best reply throughout this thread :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

maps4ltd

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Cunard wrote:
It amazes me on these forums how many people don't fully understand the business model of TUI, especially those from overseas and in particular the USA who assume that they are a fully fledged LCC.

Some comments fully support my statement.

People booking might get the airport mistaken for Melbourne, Australia....no I don't think so.

People suggesting that TUI fly to where people want to fly to....it doesn't work like that in this case.

People suggesting the possibility of booking flights from Melbourne, FL to the UK with TUI....again no.

These are just three examples, there are many more but Andy33 has given the best reply throughout this thread :-)

It's an individual UK airline that is most all charters. Britain has a fascination with tour companies and package operators that outstrips many other developed nations. It shouldn't "amaze" you that not everyone on a.net has a comprehensive knowledge of TUI's business model.
Delta Gold Medallion