Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smokeybandit

Re: TUI to make Melbourne its Florida gateway in 2022

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
DTL wrote:
http://mlbair.com/portals/0/docs/meetings/Revised%20October%202019%20Agenda%202.pdf

I am sure you can find the details of what is being provided to them from the minutes of their board meeting... See "Tango 2"

This agreement actually seems modest in terms of incentives. But there could there be "below the line" compensation through a fuel discount?

As for driving time to Port Canaveral, it is a a wash - 44 minutes from MLB and 45 minutes from MCO, but from SFB takes a little over an hour. To Walt Disney World, from SFB is around 45 minutes & from MLB is roughly 1 hour, 20 minutes.

NEVER have i been able to do Port Canaveral to MCO in 45 mins for a cruise, with arranged transport or rental!

I did it in like 50 minutes a few years ago, and that included having to stop for tolls. And I certainly wasn't flooring the gas to get there.

musman9853

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 am

nkops wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
nkops wrote:

Not sure why anyone would go I-4 from SFB to Disney... SR 417 is much easier road to deal with and drops you off right by Disney

i4 also goes right next to disney, although 417 probably is the better choice.

417 is so much better.. that's my road to work every day. From SFB, getting on 417 is about a 2 mile drive.. I-4 from SFB is a bit out of the way if heading towards Disney

lucky man. my commute is via i4/408 lol
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Palumboism

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:03 am

I used to live in Melbourne and Flew out of MEL. Getting through that airport is way quicker than Orlando. I always felt the 10,000 foot runway was under utilized.

The Eastern Florida coast is beautiful and there are hotels all along it that are a fraction of the price of Tampa or Miami.

FLALEFTY

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:44 am

Palumboism wrote:
I used to live in Melbourne and Flew out of MEL. Getting through that airport is way quicker than Orlando. I always felt the 10,000 foot runway was under utilized.

The Eastern Florida coast is beautiful and there are hotels all along it that are a fraction of the price of Tampa or Miami.

Agreed, MLB is a good airport that is easy to use. The airport is just a short hop from some of the nicest beaches in Florida and not too far from Port Canaveral. And you are right, beachfront hotels in Brevard County are pretty reasonably priced.

I live in the Orlando MSA and am very familiar with all the roads. For those who don't know, the quickest way to Disney from MLB is taking 192 to Narcoossee Road, then go north to Boggy Creek Road (same as going to MCO), then west over to Osceola Parkway, which is a toll road that goes directly into Disney. There are only a handful of traffic lights to deal with on that route.

jomur

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:50 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
Palumboism wrote:

Agreed, MLB is a good airport that is easy to use. The airport is just a short hop from some of the nicest beaches in Florida and not too far from Port Canaveral. And you are right, beachfront hotels in Brevard County are pretty reasonably priced.

I live in the Orlando MSA and am very familiar with all the roads. For those who don't know, the quickest way to Disney from MLB is taking 192 to Narcoossee Road, then go north to Boggy Creek Road (same as going to MCO), then west over to Osceola Parkway, which is a toll road that goes directly into Disney. There are only a handful of traffic lights to deal with on that route.

There might be good hotels and beaches in that area but that's not what the vast majority of UK passengers go to Florida for, its the theme parks specifically Disney and Universal.
Tui could regret this is if all the rumours of Jet2 flying to Orlando next year/year after come true.

Boeing74741R

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:17 am

nkops wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
I know a guy who lives in Titusville who might like this. Currently, he is a BP worker and frequents BA's MCO-LGW route.

unless something changes, you have to originate in the UK to fly TUI.. they do not sell tickets from the US

TUI do allow you to book tickets from non-UK airports that they serve, but at the moment when you go onto their website it doesn't give any US airports as an origin option. Similarly, TUI's website only allows you to book one-way flights from the UK to certain non-UK destinations, again the US isn't an option for a one-way flight.

Boeing74741R

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 am

FLALEFTY wrote:

I assume that's quicker than staying on Hwy 192 all the way to the Kissimmee area given the amount of junctions and traffic lights one would encounter when you get to Kissimmee?

Andy33

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:54 am

maps4ltd wrote:
It's an individual UK airline that is most all charters. Britain has a fascination with tour companies and package operators that outstrips many other developed nations. It shouldn't "amaze" you that not everyone on a.net has a comprehensive knowledge of TUI's business model.

Well, TUI is the last remaining integrated tour/package company and charter airline in the UK. Jet2 is a scheduled leisure destination airline that has an ever-growing tour/package business., then there are British Airways, EasyJet, and Virgin Atlantic which are all scheduled service airlines with holiday divisions.

And since TUI has similar operations in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, Britain is far from unique in its fondness for this type of holiday.

FLALEFTY

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:

I assume that's quicker than staying on Hwy 192 all the way to the Kissimmee area given the amount of junctions and traffic lights one would encounter when you get to Kissimmee?

That is correct. Taking the route I recommend will avoid having to go through the main business districts of St. Cloud and Kissimmee.

In the future, there are plans being worked on to extend Osceola Parkway over to 417 (the toll beltway that runs around the eastern part of the Orlando MSA), along with an extension further east connecting to 192 near Harmony, which is about 7 miles east of St. Cloud. This would cut the drive time from MLB to Disney by another 10 or 15 minutes.

Cunard

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Andy33 wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

It's an individual UK airline that is most all charters. Britain has a fascination with tour companies and package operators that outstrips many other developed nations. It shouldn't "amaze" you that not everyone on a.net has a comprehensive knowledge of TUI's business model.

Well, TUI is the last remaining integrated tour/package company and charter airline in the UK. Jet2 is a scheduled leisure destination airline that has an ever-growing tour/package business., then there are British Airways, EasyJet, and Virgin Atlantic which are all scheduled service airlines with holiday divisions.

And since TUI has similar operations in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, Britain is far from unique in its fondness for this type of holiday.

What a fantastic response, it saved me from explaining it to maps4ltd.

Well done, we can always rely on you Andy with your articulate, precise and well written comments :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

hhslax2

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 am

With the wealth moving to the MLB area, this isn't surprising. The airport has the infrastructure, the area has a fast growing engineering community (NGC, L3, SpaceX), and the space coast beaches are close by.

MLB also has maintenance facilities that could be utilized. For instance, today had 2 Air Canada Rouge 767s, a Star Alliance painted A330, and multiple Alaska Airlines planes by the hangars.

LAX772LR

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:31 am

hhslax2 wrote:
With the wealth moving to the MLB area, this isn't surprising.

This is a service aimed at UK-originating traffic, so how does where "the wealth" lives in central Florida factor in at all?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

c933103

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 am

MCOflyer wrote:
MLB is no dump as they have made improvements to it in the past few years. The city and surrounding areas are safer than the Sanford area in my opinion. Cocoa Beach and surrounding beaches are popular for tourism and from Melbourne, its only a 45-60min drive to Disney. Kennedy Space Center attracts a lot of people as well.

We have STS doing mx work and MLB is a popular diversion airport when MCO and airports to the south get closed. When customs will increase their staffing when these flights start is something I think should happen. in the end, if traffic increases for MLB, it would not surprise me to see more airlines come here to MLB.

Will the brightline train going to Orlando help connect passengers from MLB airport into the city?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

jomur

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 am

Thinking about this move , if this was to support the cruise ships at Port Canaveral are TUI planning on getting people to the ships the day they arrive? If so then passengers will have to depart the UK earlier so that they can make the ship in time before it departs in the afternoon or are they going to have the ships depart in the evenings? If its a case of they will stay in a hotel the night before embarking then why not just stay at Sanford?

bananaboy

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:43 am

jomur wrote:
Thinking about this move , if this was to support the cruise ships at Port Canaveral are TUI planning on getting people to the ships the day they arrive? If so then passengers will have to depart the UK earlier so that they can make the ship in time before it departs in the afternoon or are they going to have the ships depart in the evenings? If its a case of they will stay in a hotel the night before embarking then why not just stay at Sanford?

As the ships are their own and the vast majority of passengers booked onto the cruise will be part of a TUI fly-cruise package, my guess is that they'll have the ship sail between 6pm and 10pm on the day the flight arrives. Alternatively, they could keep the ship in port overnight to allow more flights to be combined on to one sailing.

As they're the operator of both the flights & cruise ships, they'd delay the departure of the ship as much as possible to meet a late-inbound flight as long as the impact on the cruise itinerary was minimal.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

hhslax2

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:07 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
hhslax2 wrote:

This is a service aimed at UK-originating traffic, so how does where "the wealth" lives in central Florida factor in at all?

Having a secondary market to help fill seats is a benefit that could help with the route profitability.

OB1504

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:45 pm

hhslax2 wrote:
MLB also has maintenance facilities that could be utilized. For instance, today had 2 Air Canada Rouge 767s, a Star Alliance painted A330, and multiple Alaska Airlines planes by the hangars.

Unless TUI plans to keep airplanes overnight at MLB, there isn’t any heavy work that can be done during a turn.

Cunard

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 pm

hhslax2 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
hhslax2 wrote:

Having a secondary market to help fill seats is a benefit that could help with the route profitability.

You obviously haven't been reading all of the previous posts regarding TUI!

There is no secondary market, it's purely aimed at UK originating traffic. TUI as has already been mentioned NUMEROUS time's in this thread is an intregated tour operator. The fact that the airport has changed from Sanford to Melbourne does not open up a secondary market.

Individual seat sales are only for UK originating traffic only. TUI is not a scheduled airline in the way that most of you from the USA assume it is!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

LAX772LR

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:13 am

hhslax2 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
hhslax2 wrote:

And how would that "help fill seats" when such seats are not sold, on the Florida end?

Again, this is a service for UK-originating traffic.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jomur

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 am

Are TUI moving all their European flights or only those from the UK, I've heard conflicting reports. If it is just the UK operation then they certainly won't get enough pax going into MLB to fill their cruises so will still have to depend on pax coming from SFB and MCO to fill them so won't really gain anything apart from possibly cheaper landing fees but lose good will from those going to the Disney area which currently make up the vast majority of their UK customer base.

Boeing74741R

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 am

jomur wrote:
Are TUI moving all their European flights or only those from the UK, I've heard conflicting reports. If it is just the UK operation then they certainly won't get enough pax going into MLB to fill their cruises so will still have to depend on pax coming from SFB and MCO to fill them so won't really gain anything apart from possibly cheaper landing fees but lose good will from those going to the Disney area which currently make up the vast majority of their UK customer base.

Those who are heading to the Orlando area will have to put up with slightly longer driving times, but as discussed earlier some people will roll with it if the price is cheap enough. Market response to this move will be key and I'm sure their travel agents will be one of those feeding back comments when Florida holidays/cruises using MLB open for bookings.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos